URGENT: vomiting black

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 gardenof

gardenof

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:19 AM

I've been bulimic for four years and just then I used my toothbrush and huge, black chunks came out on my toothbrush. What the fuck is this? I just googled and everyone seems to think it's serious but to be honest I very rarely use a toothbrush (usually my fingers) and I thought I could of just scrapped something from the side of my throat or something? I didn't actually vomit any food, just gagged, saw the black and freaked out.

Has this happened to any of you? Does anyone know what's going on?!

#2 Keirelle

Keirelle

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:49 AM

Uh- black usually means blood. Not good.

#3 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:16 AM

Yes, I agree. Blood is black when it dries, and when you vomit. You need to go to the doctor tomorrow. And come clean with your GP about your eating disorder.

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

#4 cherryzero

cherryzero

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:31 AM

I'm probably not a good one to give advice on this, because I am bulimic too. But when I see blood I cool it on the purging for awhile. It's always fresh blood though, not black. I'm not sure what black indicates... maybe old blood from an ulcer?
Diagnosis: Schizo affective - Bipolar type, panic disorder, occasional severe depression.
Meds: Depakote, Seroquel, Ativan, Prozac, Ambien.
Addictions: Caffeine, late night junk food.

#5 Guest_hammock_*

Guest_hammock_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:33 PM

It could also be old bile. That's pretty bad too.

(I had salmonella a few years ago and the third day my vomit was black. That was when I finally went to the er.)

#6 mudpuppy

mudpuppy

Gone.

• Pip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:57 PM

Hairy tongue?

Lucas Silveira > Lady Gaga

Dx: Combat PTSD, Gender Identity Disorder, Traumatic Brain Injury, ADHD [Inattentive Type]

Rx: Wellbutrin XL 300mg, Buspar 10mg, Adderall 10mg [dose finding trial],
Testosterone Cypionate 50mg Q 10 Days IM, Testosterone Cream 4ml 1% PLO Gel PRN
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, Gender Therapy, Integrative Psychotherapy

#7 TheTrishgu

TheTrishgu

• Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:14 PM

Probably bile. If it looks like old coffee grinds, it's time to see a doc.
Issues: Bipolar NOS, GAD, Addictive Personality, Multiple Drug Induced Psychosis, Hypothyroid, Mild Sleep Apnea, Migraines (are back, yay!)
Current Meds: Zyprexa 10mg, Dexedrine 30mg, 75 mcg Synthroid, 10mg Lexapro, 1-3 mg Ativan PRN, 50mg Pristiq, Midrin and Fiorinal as needed for Migraines
Past Meds: Zoloft, Effexor, Xanax, Risperidone, Vistaril, Klonopin, Neurontin, Ambien, Remeron

#8 Stickler

Stickler

Weird

• Pip
  • 2872 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:30 PM

Go to doc immediately.

Merrily biting the hand that feeds me my happy pills.  Social Justice Trickster.

chaos.gif

#9 rowan77

rowan77

• Pip
  • 2963 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:05 PM

This is an emergency, go to your doctor asap. Black vomit can be a vomit which is dark and consists of digested blood along with gastric contents. You are possibly bleeding somewhere in the upper GI tract.

DX: Bipolar Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder

Current RX: Lithium Carbonate 800mg, Seroquel XR 800mg, Lamictal 100mg x2 daily, Procyclidine 5mg, prozac 40mg, Zopiclone 7.5mg PRN 

Also Yasmin 0.3/3mg for PCOS and Losec 40mg for Hiatus Hernia, Oesophagitis and Gastritis

Previous RX:
Anti-depressants: dothiepin, clomipramine, paroxetine, mirtazepine, lofepramine, venlafaxine, escitalopram, agomelatine
Anti-psychotics: thoridazine, risperidone, olanzapine, haloperidol, aripiprazole, chlorpromazine
Mood Stabilisers: carbamazepine, sodium valproate,
Anxiolytics: alprazolam, diazepam, lorazepam, clonazepam
Hypnotics: lormetazepam, temazepam, zolpidem, flurazepam
ECT: 6 Treatments in 2003; 11 Treatments in 2005

"Be yourself - everybody else is taken." Oscar Wilde

#10 gardenof

gardenof

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:34 PM

Thanks for your insights guys!

I know this probably isn't ideal but I haven't thrown up since then and nothing is hurting or anything so I'm just going to leave it. I think I would of felt some sort of pain or something if it was anything serious.

No hairy tongue! Yes it was black and chunky... (Yum)

I'm going to see my doc today about an unrelated issue (depression medication and migraines) and I'm not sure whether I'm ready to mention it (to bpladybug). I worry that the focus will become how I deal with an internal pain rather than the root of the problem. To be honest, I think bulimia, anorexia, self harm, drug abuse and all the other things I've done in the past to numb myself are not the issue, I think if I sort out this head of mine then these problems are going to be a lot easier to combat. I know it's bad to say but for me, personally, I think I've instinctively used it to distract from something much deeper and I often wonder where I'd be without those distractions... I think the alternative would of been death.

I'll definitely come clean eventually, I understand that it's probably adding to the stress etc but until I get to know my doctor I worry that as a 16 year old girl with no adult support, I'll be written off as a pot smoking, self harming Bulimic - which unfortunately, is only the superficial side to my issues.

I really appreciate all the help here, I'm glad I found this!

#11 Stickler

Stickler

Weird

• Pip
  • 2872 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:26 PM

If you find yourself getting dizzy, weak, pale, lightheaded, or you throw up any more black stuff, or any fresh blood, I would suggest you get your butt to an ER Stat.

Merrily biting the hand that feeds me my happy pills.  Social Justice Trickster.

chaos.gif

#12 wondernut

wondernut

disconcerted citizen

• Pip
  • 971 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

"I'll definitely come clean eventually, I understand that it's probably adding to the stress etc but until I get to know my doctor I worry that as a 16 year old girl with no adult support, I'll be written off as a pot smoking, self harming Bulimic - which unfortunately, is only the superficial side to my issues. "

sorry this is a great "EXCUSE" and a very lousy "REASON"
for not coming clean with your problems

no you will not always feel pain if something is wrong and yes vomiting black chunks is reason to go and see a doctor right away and yes you should come clean because until you do you will think you have some control and honey frankly at 16 you have no control

good luck

Edited by wondernut, 27 August 2010 - 09:50 AM.

wellbutrin, vit D, coffee, ibuprofen
xanax lick as needed

#13 sylvan

sylvan

Pill Party

• Admin
  • 4275 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:23 PM

I’m glad you’re feeling better. However, I am a tad upset that you came in here with an URGENT problem and then proceeded to ignore all the advice you were given. If you wanted a dialogue about bulimia and vomiting blood that would be one thing. Instead, you came here seeking help URGENTLY. People dropped what they were doing to come to your aide. You pretty much said, well, thanks but I’m going to completely ignore your advice because I know better. Maybe next time either leave out the URGENT or don’t ask for advice you have no intention of taking.

It has been a year since one of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing passed away. He was strong, intelligent, caring, and honest. I had the honor of calling him Daddy. I will miss both my parents for as long as I live. I hope that I can be even half as good of a spouse, parent, and friend as the two of them were. Life is now forever changed for me. It will never be like it was. That doesn't mean it will all be bad, it will just be different.

#14 Keirelle

Keirelle

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:14 AM

No need to be that pissy everyone. She is 16 and dealing with just as much crap as any of you, so while yes I agree about the title and that she should get help/tell her doc, there could have been a nicer way to say it.

That said, I realize most here are kind of on the tough love bandwagon at times, and I do understand why given how we crazy people like to make excuses for ourselves. /sigh

#15 lysergia

lysergia

ripping off the bootstraps

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3472 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:49 PM

those correctly identified "excuses" are also often my own, and i'm about to turn forty. OP, don't fool yourself. bulimia is, and will continue to, affect your mental health. if you are fucking around with food, your brain reacts. existing MI issues get worse. depression will be resistant to most anything you try. anxiety will be a permanent part of your life.

yep, we do it because we're nuts in the first place over other things. so it isn't the "original" issue. but it's a BIG FREAKIN PROBLEM even if it wasn't the first problem. it's like saying "i'll stop snorting things when i'm stable". stable isn't going to happen with the snorting going on. stable isn't going to happen with the vomiting going on either.

i HATE that this is true and lie to myself every single day about it.

please take care of yourself. and don't mistake bluntness here for a lack of caring. none of us would bother answering your post if we didn't care a little.

current dx:

BPII, DDNOS, major anxiety issues, PTSD issues (now subclinical), ED issues (recovered anorexic), auditory/visual/tactile hallucinations

current rx:

bupropion XL 300 mg, clonazepam 3 mg, zopiclone 7.5 mg, synthroid 0.15 mg (supplements: D3, B12, Omega 3)

download.jpg

#16 hammock

hammock

inky

• Pip
  • 417 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:34 PM

A novel idea. Go to the er and tell them about vomiting black. Don't tell them you're bulimic.
In short, lie.

They should be able to diagnose the ulcer or whatever it is anyway. I know this is "wrong" advice but it's serious enough to really need a doctor and if lying is the only way you'll do that...then do it.
I have either psychotic depression or schizoaffective disorder.
I take prozac 40mg, Wellbutrin, and seroquel 400mg a day; and ambien or temazepam at night.
I'm an artist for a living. you can visit ***my art blog*** that's how I pay the rent.

#17 gardenof

gardenof

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:23 PM

Oh come on! I'm 16, not 9! I don't agree that I should be treated any differently either and I most certainly DO NOT think I am any less worthy of posting here than any of you. To be honest, I am dealing with this illness alone, with no parental support which to be perfectly honest, reflects the timeline of entire life. So I don't appreciate being pigeonholed into the immaturechildwhoneeds"parenting" box (especially not from posters here!)

The reason the title had URGENT in it was because, at the time, I had no idea what was going on and my heart was racing a little. I'm sure that the reason I posted here was really, in reality, because I wanted someone to tell me that this had happened to them, and that it passed. So excuse me for HUMAN NATURE taking over. I was worried, I wanted it to be all okay. You can't put that down to immaturity or age! I apologise for the false alarm but please understand that at the time, I was alarmed!

I appreciate all your replies, but I do not take them as gospel! I am here for support and possible advice that goes into the movements I eventually make, I am not here for judgement and I don't intend to take anything anyone says here as something I should most certainly do. When it came down to it, I made the decision not to do anything about it. You can't hold that against me? It was urgent at the time and since then nothing has followed as a result so I made the choice to ignore it. You can voice your opinions all you want, but again, I am not here for judgements and I don't intend to take them all as fact. This is a support network, not a law system.

I am here to listen and gain advice, I am here to feel supported, I am to here feel as though I have a place to come to if things like this happen in the future. I have EVERY right to be here as much as those who do not want me here.

As for the excuses I've been making, I agree. It is an excuse. But it's an excuse because I've never thought about it in a different light. Since that post I've spoken to different people (professionals) who have shed light on the paths that have led me to drug abuse and self harm (I still haven't mentioned Bulimia but I WILL, I'm just a little scared to be honest - HUMAN NATURE) and I am feeling comfortable about getting it all under control. I explained to them that these internal problems have been here since I was very young, around 9 years old and for that reason they are not being dismissive to my illness eventuating from any lifestyle choices. However, like posters here, they did explain to me that I am not helping it, and I agree.

I also do not appreciate people who follow drama on threads they have not posted on. I have enough conflict in my life (as I'm sure we all do) and I don't think that of all places, it should be supported here!

#18 llama44

llama44

llama-licious

• Pip
  • 1146 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:48 PM

Garden, hunny, I hope not to descrimate you regarding your age. But sweetie, you are in a DANGER ZONE. I am 10 years older than you. I have been there. I weighed 80lbs at 14. Don't go down that path. I really hope for the best for you. You are so beautiful and intelligent. Don't forget that ever. Keep that and keep it secure within your psyche. I just have this feeling that you know how to do this. You are very mature for your age, as I was. You also have very good insight, which is the biggest gift of all. Reach out to those who can help you. Tell them the truth about what is going on with you. It was only until I unloaded everything to my case manger/therapists in the state hospital that I got the proper diagnosis. I hope you don't need to go through the same ordeal that I went through. Trust me, you don't want to end up in the state hospital. Please take care of yourself and get some help. Vomiting black IS NOT and I mean IS NOT a good sign. You know this or else you wouldn't be posting it here. Please come clean with your pdoc. I know it is hard, but hunny it is necessary. I will send good vibes your way and even pray for you. Please, please take care of yourself. I am really worried about you. Let us know how you are doing. Take care!
Diagnoses: Schizoaffective Bipolar Type ("Significant, Severe, Chronic, and Clear Cut"), Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Anorexia (in remission; dx in early teen years), OCD (dx in early teen years)

Current Meds: 600mg Seroquel, 30mg Abilify, 100mg Trazodone, 200mg Lamictal, 300mg Effexor XR, 3mg Klonopin.

Some days are better than others, but I do what I can.

How I'm doing now: I am down and am suicidal. I want to stay in bed forever. I never want to leave the apartment. The voices have been really bothering me. They also put thoughts in my head that aren't mine. They do this to torture me constantly. It is never silent.

#19 Stickler

Stickler

Weird

• Pip
  • 2872 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:36 AM

I just tend to be forceful about things with everybody.
I know it's annoying and don't always care.

Especially with someone who's 16. Not because I think you're a child, but because when people are in their teens and twenties they have this kind of illusion that they are a little indestructable. This usually lasts until someone around them dies or they nearly get themselves killed. Young adults take risks, that's what they do. Part of the learning process.

In this case, we're all telling you that your behavior could lead to your death. I believe there are enough blood vessels routed through the gut that if a big one ruptures, you can bleed to death. If I'm wrong, someone will likely come along and correct me.

Please note-Wondernut's a longtime RN, so if she says you should go see a doctor-no she herself isn't a doc, but considering she's been a nurse for a long time...her advice is likely to be pretty sound.

Hmm, yeh, hammock, she could probably lie. She did say she used her toothbrush to trigger vomiting. First thing the hospital's going to look for though is evidence of bulimia-tooth decay(should be using a lot of baking soda to brush your teeth with), throat erosion, etc.

chaos.gif

#20 Ophelia

Ophelia

I bitch, therefore I am...

• Pip
  • 3287 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:47 AM

In this case, we're all telling you that your behavior could lead to your death. I believe there are enough blood vessels routed through the gut that if a big one ruptures, you can bleed to death. If I'm wrong, someone will likely come along and correct me.

No, you are right, Stickler. My father had a blood vessel rupture in his stomach about a year ago. He needed 4 blood transfusions in less than 2 days.

You have to be careful and pay attention to what your body is telling you.

"Instant gratification takes too long." ~Carrie Fisher

"You're wrong! I do have feelings. I'm an actress! I have all of them." ~Elise Elliot (Goldie Hawn), 'The First Wives Club'

"The defects and faults of the mind are like wounds in the body. After all imaginable care has been taken to heal them up, still there will be a scar left behind." ~Francois de la Rochefoucauld

"It has been said that time heals all wounds. I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue, and the pain lessens, but it is never gone." ~Rose Kennedy

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.