• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 mel1

mel1

mel1

• Pip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:59 AM

Ever since I started taking seroquel- several months ago- I have the most vivid, long-lasting, mind-boggling, at-times disturbing, and often downright torturous. Is that normal. Does anyone have these problems. They are similar to those depictions of someone hallucinating on tv(which is never what hallucinating is really like!). I am, strangely enough, not scared during these dreams, as if I am too drugged to feel anything. But they torture me and haunt me and are so disturbing to wake up to. Weird does not begin to describe it. I wouldn't even call it nightmares, because I don't feel frightened, I feel tortured. Is it just me? Or does anyone else have this problem? mel
"I cannot do everything, but I can do something."-Helen Keller
My ADHD mantra.

current dx: Bipolar 2, GAD s/ Panic Disorder, dysthymia, MDD, ADHD
current rx: seroqel- 100 mg-50 am and 50 at bedtime; Lamictal-100-am, 200-pm; Klonopin-.5-TID

#2 grousemouse

grousemouse

Be calm, move on.

• Pip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 11:25 AM

hi mel,

yes, i have the same types of dreams that you describe. i am on 50 mg seroquel for sleep. i have fought in more battles in my dreams than i could care to recount. i've certainly never held a military gun but i could describe in detail the ones that i have fought with in my dreams. they truly are exhausting dreams.

grouse.

In latest news, the Italian entry for this year's Eurovision Song Contest, "I Can't Get No Contraception", has been withdrawn from the competition after the Pope advised them to pull it out at the last minute.

Source: Not The Nine O'Clock News.

#3 tigrre

tigrre

fill in the blank

• Pip
  • 234 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 01:43 PM

I've been on seroquel for over 3 years and it erases any dreams for me, I wake up and its just nothing.  The only time I've had vivid and weird dreams is when I was tapering off zoloft.
Dx: Depression and anxiety, oh and there's some ADHD too...
Rx: Adderall 30 mg XR, Adderall 20 mg PRN, Rozerem 16 mg, Seroquel 150 mg, Valium 15 mg
Other stuff to keep me sane: rTMS, Vitamin D (supplements and sunshine... or errr... 4 minutes in a tanning bed a couple times a week, because there's no real sunshine where I live), Melatonin, and Omega-3s.

#4 Fiona

Fiona

To choose is also to begin. (Starhawk)

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 826 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 07:47 PM

I've had vivid, awful, dreams in the past -- ones where I would wake up screaming. But they aren't connected to Seroquel. The dreams have completely disappeard after some other adjustments in my meds, but the Seroquel dose is exactly the same as always.

I'm not surprised if Seroquel is the culprit -- but is there anything else it could be? Stress in your life? Other med change?

Hoping for a good night's sleep.

Fiona
Why not give today a chance? You can always kill yourself tomorrow.

The truly courageous choices are the ones a person makes over and over and over again, knowing the cost but facing the same burden again tomorrow. (M. A. Pakulak)

~~~N.B. Nothing I say can or should be mistaken for actual medical advice. Nope. Not me. Not any of it.~~~
~~~For medical advice, call your doctor!~~~

#5 PBF

PBF

• Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:24 PM

Seroquel isn't supposed to give you freaky bad nightmares.  In fact its supposed to help you sleep deep without dreaming too much!  If you get nightmares from seroquel, its probably some kind of adverse reaction to it.

PBF

#6 Min

Min

paranoid android

• Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:12 AM

I actually took seroquel to stop having vivid violent nightmares- it worked.  maybe you should ask your doctor, could be conflicting with another med you're on?
dx: BPI, GAD/SAD, PTSD, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, RLS, Panic disorder, some sort of seizure like activity
rx: 600mg Trileptal BID, 150 Effexor XR, 2mg Clonazepam TID

"It is dangerous to be sincere unless you are also stupid." - Oscar Wilde

"Whenever cannibals are on the brink of starvation, Heaven in its infinite mercy sends them a nice plump missionary." - Oscar Wilde

"I want my food dead. Not sick, not dying, dead." - Oscar Wilde

"I like hearing myself talk. It is one of my greatest pleasures. I often have long conversations all by myself, and I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying" - Oscar Wilde

~ trapt-whispers.org x orugooru.net x klavierbarrette @ lj ~

#7 mel1

mel1

mel1

• Pip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 06:19 PM

Well, I sleep really well almost every night. My life is about the least stressful right now-*knocks on wood*- and, as far as I know, I don't have any drug interactions other than taking benzos and seroquel making me more tired. I have always been a very vivid dreamer-maybe cuz I'm an artist- but these are doozies. I wouldn't even call them nightmares. mel
"I cannot do everything, but I can do something."-Helen Keller
My ADHD mantra.

current dx: Bipolar 2, GAD s/ Panic Disorder, dysthymia, MDD, ADHD
current rx: seroqel- 100 mg-50 am and 50 at bedtime; Lamictal-100-am, 200-pm; Klonopin-.5-TID

#8 AirMarshall

AirMarshall

Jumping the CB Shark

• Pip
  • 6686 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 06:45 PM

I took Seroquel for a month of the most vivid, lifelike, Technicolor™ dreams. Some were wild, most just vivid, a few unsettling. I think that the dreams area reflestion of what is going through your mind.  I chose to remember them and ponder the greater concepts expressed in them and how they applied to my life. Sometimes obvious and heldful,  sometimes a dream is just a dream.

A.M.

**My work is done.  Swimming for the nearest shore.**

#9 Panz

Panz

The mad witch of Darby

• Pip
  • 937 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 06:50 PM

Hmmmm....I'm taking Seroquel and have never had funky dreams from it. Now the Effexor Xr that I am on gives me real screamers - Very vivid, VERY real
Panz and her pack of rascals, ner' do wells and dreamers

My DX-of-the-month: complete nutter
MEDS : Changing a lot right now, don't know what i'll end up with yet. Abilify 10mg, Klonopin, 1mg 2xdaily, Neurontin ~ Lots and changing and a bunch more medical ones that I don't want to write down
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only thing better than being with the one you love, is being with the one you love dipped in dark chocolate =D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud
was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."

~ Anais Nin ~

[link=http://secretsistersbookofshadows.blogspot.com/" target="_blank]My new blog[/link]

#10 sepia

sepia

lost and lovely

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1528 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:00 PM

What, I dream?  ;)

I had some terribly vivid, abstract-artist-on-the-boardwalk dreams when I first started taking it, but that has since fizzled into nothingness.  It was kind of fun while it lasted.

Edited by lmnop, 12 September 2005 - 08:00 PM.

If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. --Emily Dickinson

[link=http://xkcd.com/c150.html" target="_blank]we're all grown-ups here.[/link]

#11 DionneDesReves

DionneDesReves

Welcome to Stability

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 03:41 PM

i've always been a vivid dreamer, though during my depressions my dreams usually range from slow-mo disturbing to wake up and look at my hands in disbelief bc i'm not seeing blood on them.  But the Seroquel, now and before when i took it, makes me sleep deeper so i dream even more vividly, but no nightmares.  Let's just say these dreams have impressed me with the power of my own imagination and has restored my faith in my artistic abilities.

i think it could be an adverse reaction or maybe it's something psychological your brain is trying to tell you while you're all unconscious-like and with the undivided attention.

Either way, have you told your tdoc?

#12 LynneW

LynneW

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 02:47 PM

I have the same problem with Seroquel. I forgot to mention that in my thread about hallucinating on the stuff.

But yes, the dreams are really disturbing and so vivid and almost lucid but so much is going on that I can't control myself in them or wake up form them.

Some are very disturbing and so bizarre I can't even talk about them without feeling embarassed for having them.

You know, the Chinese acupuncturists often ask about vivid or excessive dreaming as a symptom of something wrong other than the mind at night. I sometimes feel so engrossed in these dreams that I am sure it is why I wake up exhausted sometimes. Too much mental activity to actually feel like I have gotten a good night's sleep, which is one of the reasons I bother to take this drug.

Lynne

Lynne.

#13 crazylikeafox

crazylikeafox

crazylikeafox

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 04:20 PM

I talked to my pdoc about this-- I've had yucky vivid gorefest dreams on both Seroquel and Risperdal.  He said that if you're not psychotic, then antipsychotics can actually make you psychotic, since they work on that part of your brain that experiences psychotic symptoms.

Gorey, bloody and disturbing dreams (with no overt emations attached)-- paranoia-- anxiety-- racing thoughts.  I'm in the process of getting off Risperdal right now.  APs just ain't workin'.

Fox
I am. I am. I exist, I think, therefore I am; I am because I think that I don't want to be, I think that I because ugh! I flee!
~Jean-Paul Sartre

To live alone one must be a beast or a god, says Aristotle.  Leaving out the third case:  one must be both - a philosopher.  ~Friedrich Nietzsche

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.
~Samuel Johnson

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. 
~Hunter S. Thompson

Dx: BP I-UC, BPD and all that that entails
Current Rx: Lithium, Lamictal, Zoloft

#14 jafco

jafco

Narcissus Myth

• Pip
  • 517 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:38 AM

Yep, Seroquel 100 mg! The ones you have just before awakening are the ones that stick in your head all day! Alice in Wonderland type stuff mixed in with real people and situations in your life... Some can be disturbing, but nonetheless insightful...

Jafco

Edited by jafco, 12 October 2005 - 08:38 AM.

Standard disclaimer. I am not a Dr., Therapist, Guru, etc, etc.

Even if all parts of a problem seem to fit together like the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, one has to remember that they probably need not necessarily be the truth, and the truth not always probable. Sigmund Freud  

PLASTIC FANTASTIC

[link=http://www.crazyboards.org/index.php?showtopic=4987&st=0" target="_blank]http://www.crazyboards.org/index.php?showtopic=4987&st=0[/link] [link=http://www.crazyboards.org/index.php?showtopic=6791" target="_blank]http://www.crazyboards.org/index.php?showtopic=6791[/link]       

#15 LynneW

LynneW

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 01:43 AM

Yeah, totally. The dreams that stick in your head ALL DAY long. That is the perfect description.. Insightful, hmmmm.  Mine keep going back to scenes of my childhood for some reason - places I grew up, even people I knew as a kid and never think about.

In fact, I dreampt that the boy I used to have a crush on and beat up for kicking my dog, and who my best freind and I decided to tie him up naked and take polaroids of him, except he got so scared he jumped out of the second story window and a bird bath broke his fall. His over-protective mother comes over and bitches me out - asked what I was laughing about. I said it's not her property, I can laugh if I want.

(I was ten years old!)

So last night, I dreampt that this kid is still living with his overprotective mother at age 39 and I find myself driving around with him in our old stomping grounds. We get around to trying to have sex. He's still a virgin but with a shlong so big, he has to put one of those blue plastic newspaper covers (for when it's raining) over his dick. But then his mother starts yelling for him just like in the old days and he has to run home.

I woke up laughing so hard. Couldn't get it out of my head all day - the image of the newpaper plastic going over this huge shlong!

#16 LynneW

LynneW

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 01:44 AM

the blue plastic was used for a condom.

Anyway, sorry. I went off on a tangent, but it's an example of what is going on and it's getting pretty distracting.

#17 Elwood

Elwood

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 02:43 PM

I have been on Seroquel 25mgs for about 10 days.  My dreams have been extraordinarly vivid and memorable, but not necessarily disturbing.  I can't remember ever being able to remember dreams with the amount of detail I can now. If it's supposed to make you sleep deeply and dream less, it's a horrible failure.  Personally, I don't mind the dreams at all, it's kind of a cool, creative burst for my brain.

Seroquel and Trazodone together give me a kind of drunk feeling before I fall asleep.  I slur my speech a little and have slightly more difficulty maintaining balance.  I also get really super anxious for a bit before I crash. I wish I knew what that was all about.
No job. No car. No Life. No worries.

Dx: BP II
Rx: Paxil 40mg, Lamictal 150, Trazadone 150.

#18 Pastafarian

Pastafarian

Dance with us, GIR! Dance with us into oblivion!

• Pip
  • 253 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:54 PM

I had a nightmare last night.  It freaked me out cuz when I woke up I was scared to go to the bathroom.  Even though I knew it was dumb, i had to check behind things (shower curtains, doors, etc.) to get there.  I have the occassional nightmare (can't remember the last) but i'm guessing this one is seroquel related.

Life is complicated.  It's a funny world.  People can't communicate.  And you couldn't keep your erection.
                        Cheri to Jerry, Your Friends & Neighbours

Posted Image

#19 One_f'd_up_ho

One_f'd_up_ho

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 07:27 PM

I've had more relaxing and sound sleep since Seroquel. Once in a while I'll have a freak ass dream, but nothing out of the ordinary.

#20 Bearlythere

Bearlythere

Bearlythere

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 08:30 PM

Someone else said it best. Technicolor type dreams, alice in wonderland crazy stuff. Kinda like what I imagine an acid trip would be like. I never touched the stuff since i already see things and believe i can see and hear spirits sometimes. Sometimes my dreams are so real and vivid i sometimes have a hard time from telling if i had already woken up or not.
  Oh yeah, My name is Michelle and I am new to this place. But love it so far. I dont feel so alone now. Hello all My name is Michelle and I am Mentally Challenged.
Dx:Bipolar, schizoaffective disorder, PTSD, Clinical Depression, Anxiety

Px: Seroquel 700mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, Tegretol 1200mg, Remeron 45mg, Trazadone 250mg benadryl 25mg

Previous Px: Hmm.. I cant rember all of them but most zoloft, lexapro, paxil, prozac, zyprexa. lithium, effexor < satan, xanax..still ocasionally, nefazodone, respidone, ativan, valium, haldol, thorazine. Thats all i can rember for now. If seroquel doesnt straighten up it will be on the past list too

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.