• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Panz

Panz

The mad witch of Darby

• Pip
  • 937 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:03 PM

Ok, I know that since I was formerly drinking myself to death, that the docs have got to be careful, but they want me to take a half a meg twice a day. popping .5 Klonopin does about diddly squat for my anxiety and panic attacks.  I don't want to over medicate myself, and I don't need an addiction but this doesage isn't stopping me from freaking out on a daily basis and every few weeks doing some serious self injury. The ER docs know me too well these days. Just curious as to what others are on for panic. I really don't want to spend the rest of my wretched life on the panic attack roller coaster.
Panz and her pack of rascals, ner' do wells and dreamers

My DX-of-the-month: complete nutter
MEDS : Changing a lot right now, don't know what i'll end up with yet. Abilify 10mg, Klonopin, 1mg 2xdaily, Neurontin ~ Lots and changing and a bunch more medical ones that I don't want to write down
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only thing better than being with the one you love, is being with the one you love dipped in dark chocolate =D

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud
was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."

~ Anais Nin ~

[link=http://secretsistersbookofshadows.blogspot.com/" target="_blank]My new blog[/link]

#2 sun_zoom_spark

sun_zoom_spark

• Pip
  • 609 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:20 PM

Are you taking Klonopin or clonazepam?

I was taking up to 2 mg./day of clonazepam until switching to the real deal. Now I only take 0.5 mg. day. There is a potency difference between clonazepam and Klonopin. I buy name brand meds after I found out about this.
DX: BPI mixed, PD

RX: Lithobid, Gabitril, Klonopin, Provigil, Omega 3

#3 Jemini

Jemini

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1144 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:20 PM

There is? FIrst I heard of it.

I take (currently) .5 mg clonazepam twice a day (plus 150 mg Trileptal once a day), and it keeps me from panic attacks, though I wish my anxiety were a little lower. But I wish the things *making me anxious* were less, not that I would irrationally not be anxious about them.

I was on 1.5mg a day for a few years, and that meant much less anxiety (except for those times I'd miss a dose and start getting all wound up). Eventually changes in pdocs resulted in a crazy uninformed asshole who advised me to stop cold-turkey (NEVER DO THIS) and insisted he would not even maintain me at the level I'd been at, because (in his idiot opinion) you should never give benzos to people with history of drug and alcohol addiction. I pointed out to him that the two longest periods of sobriety I'd ever had were the two periods of my life I'd been on Klonopin, and indeed that since I'd gone off of it I felt UNABLE to prevent myself from picking up a six-pack, as the anxiety threatened to overtake me completely. I've since learned a lot more about the drug, its relation to GABA and alcohol, and I believe that that doctor was criminally negligent (stopping without tapering can cause seizures) and that the idea of not giving someone Klonopin because of addiction issues is half-baked.

That said, if you find yourself compelled to take it more than prescribed, that's a warning sign. I've never had this urge in several years taking it, and I'm much more afraid of alcohol than I am of clonazepam.

If you're still having panic attacks, do a little research to back up the things I'm saying, write them down (or even provide printouts or URLs), and explain them to your pdoc. If he or she disagrees, fire the bastard and find one willing to listen to reason. However, be wary of the drug making you too comfortable. Anxiety is there for a reason. Sometimes it's overprimed from past experience or trauma, and the reason then is that you need to deal with that past experience through cognitive work or taking it out or whatever. Other times the reason is that you really need to change current circumstances and you know at some level that you're avoiding doing anything about it. Try to find the right balance with meds where you can function and focus and be positive and not overwhelmed, but where you still feel motivated to change things for the better.

blah blah blah

#4 scarlet_faery

scarlet_faery

I want my innocence back ~ Emilie Autumn

• Pip
  • 471 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:29 PM

Are you taking Klonopin or clonazepam?

I was taking up to 2 mg./day of clonazepam until switching to the real deal. Now I only take 0.5 mg. day. There is a potency difference between clonazepam and Klonopin. I buy name brand meds after I found out about this.

I never knew that either...I thought the two were the same.  I'll have to ask my pharmacist now.

Anyway, I take one 1mg clonazepam twice a day.  Seems to work, but I wish I had that extra one that I used to be on.

Elizabeth
What is our mistress demanding?
The Truth
Well, I hate to break it to you.
Life
is complex
Fear
can be hard to wash off
Anger
can be heavy
but with french fries and cake,
The whole world may actually improve
To prove it
lean back
and let the domino effect begin.
Goodbye, Goth girl! ~ Emilie Autumn

"You are beautiful, no matter what they say, words can't bring you down..." ~ Christina Aguilera

"She's been everybody else's girl, maybe one day she'll be her own..." ~ Tori Amos

Im just a fucked up girl looking for her own piece of mind.  Dont assign me yours. ~ Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Posted Image

#5 Jemini

Jemini

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1144 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:51 PM

I'm skeptical about the potency difference. Gonna ask my pharmacist too.

#6 Min

Min

paranoid android

• Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:53 PM

i take 3mg clonopazem a day, one when i wake up, one a lunch/dinner, one at bed.

tehre's a difference?  gonna have to ask my pdoc about that too >>
dx: BPI, GAD/SAD, PTSD, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, RLS, Panic disorder, some sort of seizure like activity
rx: 600mg Trileptal BID, 150 Effexor XR, 2mg Clonazepam TID

"It is dangerous to be sincere unless you are also stupid." - Oscar Wilde

"Whenever cannibals are on the brink of starvation, Heaven in its infinite mercy sends them a nice plump missionary." - Oscar Wilde

"I want my food dead. Not sick, not dying, dead." - Oscar Wilde

"I like hearing myself talk. It is one of my greatest pleasures. I often have long conversations all by myself, and I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying" - Oscar Wilde

~ trapt-whispers.org x orugooru.net x klavierbarrette @ lj ~

#7 sun_zoom_spark

sun_zoom_spark

• Pip
  • 609 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 06:19 AM

For all you skeptics out there-

http://www.crazymeds.us/BvsG.html

I totally agree w/ Mr. Poore in this respect. How do you know if there is a difference until you try both?
DX: BPI mixed, PD

RX: Lithobid, Gabitril, Klonopin, Provigil, Omega 3

#8 scarlet_faery

scarlet_faery

I want my innocence back ~ Emilie Autumn

• Pip
  • 471 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 06:37 AM

Thank you.

But I know my doctor will never write me a script for the brand name.  I'm glad you posted that.  I wasn't skeptic, just curious.

Elizabeth
What is our mistress demanding?
The Truth
Well, I hate to break it to you.
Life
is complex
Fear
can be hard to wash off
Anger
can be heavy
but with french fries and cake,
The whole world may actually improve
To prove it
lean back
and let the domino effect begin.
Goodbye, Goth girl! ~ Emilie Autumn

"You are beautiful, no matter what they say, words can't bring you down..." ~ Christina Aguilera

"She's been everybody else's girl, maybe one day she'll be her own..." ~ Tori Amos

Im just a fucked up girl looking for her own piece of mind.  Dont assign me yours. ~ Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Posted Image

#9 juliangawker

juliangawker

lipstick and cigarettes

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:30 AM

2mg three times a day.  Awesome.
Chances are, you hate me more than I hate you.
[insert trite song lyrics here]

psuedo blogs suck: seenster.com/movabletype

#10 jefisch

jefisch

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 11:21 AM

0.5 mg as needed - generic.

#11 lei

lei

• Pip
  • 254 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 04:03 PM

i used to take 3.5 mg clonazapam/day plus 10mg diazapam/night. it worked well but i felt the ups and downs and mild side effects of the clonazapam.

now i'm on 30mg diazapam/day. much smoother, less foggy, less drymouth.

this is clearly NOT an equivalency based on the charts -- it appears i'm taking "less meds" but getting better coverage. whether it's because i was on the generic and/or other reasons, i don't know.

in any case there's my answer and then some (sorry).    aloha.

Edited by lei, 14 September 2005 - 04:04 PM.

I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human. 2001 Tool

"In a world of hate, love is the ultimate protest." - Chuck D

#12 Panz

Panz

The mad witch of Darby

• Pip
  • 937 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to convince my benzo shy doc to at least give me a dose that works. I'm sick of ALWAYS being on the edge of a panic attack and living with constant anxiety.

Interesting info on the difference between Klono and Clonazepam. Thank you Sun Zoom Spark
Panz and her pack of rascals, ner' do wells and dreamers

My DX-of-the-month: complete nutter
MEDS : Changing a lot right now, don't know what i'll end up with yet. Abilify 10mg, Klonopin, 1mg 2xdaily, Neurontin ~ Lots and changing and a bunch more medical ones that I don't want to write down
The only thing better than being with the one you love, is being with the one you love dipped in dark chocolate =D

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud
was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."

~ Anais Nin ~

[link=http://secretsistersbookofshadows.blogspot.com/" target="_blank]My new blog[/link]

#13 StrungOutOnLife

StrungOutOnLife

• Pip
  • 644 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 02:15 PM

i used to take 3.5 mg clonazapam/day plus 10mg diazapam/night. it worked well but i felt the ups and downs and mild side effects of the clonazapam.

now i'm on 30mg diazapam/day. much smoother, less foggy, less drymouth.

this is clearly NOT an equivalency based on the charts -- it appears i'm taking "less meds" but getting better coverage. whether it's because i was on the generic and/or other reasons, i don't know.

in any case there's my answer and then some (sorry). aloha.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Valium has at least two--we're not sure about nordiazepam--active metabolites: oxazepam and temazepam.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....6610&dopt=Books
Just because some of us can read and write and do a little math, doesn't mean we deserve to conquer the Universe.
--Kurt Vonnegut, Hocus Pocus

Anyone who expects you to "snap out of it" is essentially asking you to perform your own brain surgery via telekinesis.
--Me

#14 lei

lei

• Pip
  • 254 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 03:22 AM

StrungOutOnLife -- though i'm not up to much scientific intake these days, thank you for this interesting bookmark. aloha :)
I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human. 2001 Tool

"In a world of hate, love is the ultimate protest." - Chuck D

#15 StrungOutOnLife

StrungOutOnLife

• Pip
  • 644 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 01:57 AM

StrungOutOnLife -- though i'm not up to much scientific intake these days, thank you for this interesting bookmark. aloha ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're welcome.
Just because some of us can read and write and do a little math, doesn't mean we deserve to conquer the Universe.
--Kurt Vonnegut, Hocus Pocus

Anyone who expects you to "snap out of it" is essentially asking you to perform your own brain surgery via telekinesis.
--Me

#16 MikkaOlufsen

MikkaOlufsen

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:27 AM

Ok, I know that since I was formerly drinking myself to death, that the docs have got to be careful, but they want me to take a half a meg twice a day. popping .5 Klonopin does about diddly squat for my anxiety and panic attacks. I don't want to over medicate myself, and I don't need an addiction but this doesage isn't stopping me from freaking out on a daily basis and every few weeks doing some serious self injury. The ER docs know me too well these days. Just curious as to what others are on for panic. I really don't want to spend the rest of my wretched life on the panic attack roller coaster.

Ok, I know that since I was formerly drinking myself to death, that the docs have got to be careful, but they want me to take a half a meg twice a day. popping .5 Klonopin does about diddly squat for my anxiety and panic attacks. I don't want to over medicate myself, and I don't need an addiction but this doesage isn't stopping me from freaking out on a daily basis and every few weeks doing some serious self injury. The ER docs know me too well these days. Just curious as to what others are on for panic. I really don't want to spend the rest of my wretched life on the panic attack roller coaster.

Remarkably similar to the story of my life...

#17 WileE

WileE

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:38 AM

2mg three times a day. Awesome.

Everybody is diffferent, but Sheez! My pdoc just cut my Clonazepam from .5 to .25 once a day. Benzo is scary shit and unless the consequences of going without it are even worse, everybody should take as little as possible.

#18 Klaein

Klaein

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:46 PM

I have been on as much as 6mg (2mg 3 times a day) in the past. Now I'm pretty stable at 1.5 mg twice a day.Sometimes I take an extra
1 milligram if needed. Excellent drug!

#19 Sebastian Lorenz Altmann

Sebastian Lorenz Altmann

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:05 PM

I'm on 1 mg 3 times a day plus as on needed basis 1 mg up to 2 times a day.

Sebastian

brain cooties: Asperger's syndrome, ADHD, depressions, anxiety & schizotypal disorder (the ICD-10 flavor, i.e. schizophrenia light)
crazy meds carte du jour: Serdolect 24 mg (non-FDA approved AAP), Zoloft 300 mg, Concerta 108 mg, Strattera 80 mg & clonazepam 1 mg + 2 mg + 2 mg

#20 klingon001

klingon001

• Pip
  • 889 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:24 AM

I take 0.5 mg four times a day. Klonopin has been a very good drug for me. When I was on Ativan I abused it because it wore off so quickly. I've never had any problems with Klonopin, it is very smooth and I only take what's prescribed.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.