• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JustAnotherNut

JustAnotherNut

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 03:08 PM

Hi!

I'm currently on 1200mg of Tegretol retard a day (400 morning/800 night). A year and a half ago I was on 600mg (300 morning/300 night). In the meantime I tried Trileptal (900mg/day), and it was wonderful. The fog around/in my head lifted, and I had a lot of extra energy. But it seemed that the Trileptal stopped working after about 6 months, and I had 3 GTK's in one night. It scared me out of my mind. I could not get an appointment with my neurologist, so I was left with my regular doc's knowledge of epilepsy (basically zero!) After about a month I upped the dosage to 1200mg/day after consulting the not so knowing doc. I then took a blood-test to check my serum levels, and it turned out to be way under the recommended concentration. I had another seizure a few weeks later and kept on upping the dosage until I got to 2100mg/day. I finally got an appointment with my neurologist after five months and switched back to Tegretol, but at a higher dosage than before. Have been seizure free since then, but developed anxiety/panic attacks instead while waiting to see the neurologist. The panic attacks were the main reason I kept on upping the dosage as I mistook them for epileptic activity.

But to get to the point. If I had had regular blood-work done I would have discovered that I needed an adjustment in my Trileptal dosage. But I only see my neurologist once every one or two years, and that's the only time any blood-work is done. How often  are the rest of you getting blood-work done? And how often would you recommend? And what other than serum levels should I keep an eye on? I could get the work done at my regular doc more frequently, but have never been recommended to do so...

Take care!

H.

Edited by st.helge, 15 September 2005 - 03:10 PM.

There is no gravity - the earth sucks! - Bret Easton Ellis : The Rules of Attraction

#2 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13169 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 08:55 PM

According to my pdoc, every three months.  I'm pretty sure some folks do it every month.

Check the listing on rxlist.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#3 ZoeGurl

ZoeGurl

Professional Lurker

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:24 PM

I was on Tegretol XR for several years, and my doc had me get blood work done every 2 months.

~Jade~

DX's: Bipolar Disorder w/ Psychotic Features, OCD, PTSD, Panic Disorder, and possibly ADHD

Current Crazy Meds: Lamictal 250mgs, Risperdal 4mgs, Strattera 40mgs, Ambien CR 12.5mgs, Klonopin 2-4mgs prn

Other Meds: Lisinopril, Verapamil, Glucophage, & Yasmin (for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome)

#4 susanlynn

susanlynn

• Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 11:39 AM

I only see my neurologist once a year.  Anyway.  Frequency of bloodwork has alot to do with how long you've been taking the stuff.  Alot at the start, then it slows down.

#5 Lisa_K

Lisa_K

sweet something

• Pip
  • 747 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 01:04 PM

I was on Tegretol for 15 years, at first I had my blood tested every month. Then it went to every 3 months after about a year. After 3 years I had it tested every 6 months...when I began to have trouble last year they had to test me all the time, turn out my liver just quit metabolizing it...had to switch...
Here for the Crazyboards Members!!! (Please seek PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE from a doctor before making a health decision...I am NOT a professional)

#6 MellowYellow

MellowYellow

• Pip
  • 631 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 03:09 PM

Did Tegretol help your anxiety or irritability?

(I don't have epiliepsy, just BP)

#7 JustAnotherNut

JustAnotherNut

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 03:45 PM

Did Tegretol help your anxiety or irritability?

(I don't have epiliepsy, just BP)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi!

I was hoping that the change from Trileptal to Tegretol would "calm" my nerves since I trusted the meds, and rid me of the anxiety. But it hasn't turned out quite like that yet. The anxiety still makes me miserable and the panic attacks does little to make the situation any better. I'm seeing a psychiatrist twice a week to work on it, and Valium makes me get trough the day... Have no seizures though, so the Tegretol helps for what it is prescribed for.

I used to be more irritable and "in your face" before I got epilepsy (got it late, at 25), and that has disappeared. If that is due to the drugs or the fact that I've grown up, I'm not sure.

Will take the blood testing frequency up with my doc at the next opportunity!

Take care!

H.
There is no gravity - the earth sucks! - Bret Easton Ellis : The Rules of Attraction

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.