rTMS has anyone tried it?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kat

Kat

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 12:08 PM

Wondering if anyone has tried this, or known anyone who tried it.  It is available in Canada as an approved treatment for depression.  In the U.S. there are two doctors doing this off label and it is in clinical trials.

#2 beastie080

beastie080

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 02:49 PM

Wondering if anyone has tried this, or known anyone who tried it.  It is available in Canada as an approved treatment for depression.  In the U.S. there are two doctors doing this off label and it is in clinical trials.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've had it done and am still in a trail.  Since it's been a few months since this post, I'm wondering if you've also had rTMS done. 

#3 AbbyNormal

AbbyNormal

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 10:53 PM

Beastie,

Are you doing the study in Seattle?  I finished it there a couple of months ago.

-- Abby
Dx:   The Fever
Rx:    More Cowbell

#4 Kat

Kat

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 12:56 PM

Beastie, so what were your results?  You say you are still in the trial, does that mean you are receiving maintenance treatments, or did you receive the sham treatment at first and now you are receiving the real treatment?  Any information about your experience would be greatly appreciated.

I have not received rTMS yet.  The trials through neuronetics are closed to new participants.  I am leaning towards going to the mindcare centres in Canada because they are apparently doing right sided application of rTMS if you have anxiety, in addition to the standard left rTMS you receive for depression.  Since I have depression with comorbid anxiety I would receive both, although the results of right sided rTMS have not been studied as much, so I don't really know if it will really work.  THe financial undertaking will be huge for me, so until I'm sure about where I should go etc etc, I just keep waiting.  Also waiting to see if I'll get some money from the tax return after the first of the year.

Abby, I think I remember you stating that the treatment did not work for you.  I'm sorry if I'm not remembering correctly.

#5 AbbyNormal

AbbyNormal

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:40 PM

Kat,

It's cool to hear that there's a place that zaps both sides of your brain.  When I didn't respond to rTMS on the left side, they wanted to zap the right side, but at that point I had to quit the study because I was too suicidal.
I would have liked to have been able to try it on the right, but I had to go back on meds, or else. . .

I am very interested about the anxiety part, as I had increased anxiety and some panic attacks toward the end of the study.  I was having alot of trauma and drama in my personal life at the time, though, so I can't be sure that the TMS had anything to do with it (the anxiety has passed, now).

BTW,  I have learned that they are having some positive responses to the treatment in the study (what percentage, I have no idea).  I just wanted to put that out there, since my experience yielded such a negative report.

-- Abby

#6 Kat

Kat

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:10 PM

Oooh, that is scary.  I knew your mood went south from going off meds, but I did not know that you could have suffered increased anxiety from the procedure itself.

There are two things holding me back right now: 1)the money 2)fear that the treatment will make me worse!

#7 AbbyNormal

AbbyNormal

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:44 PM

Kat,

I really can't say that the treatment caused the anxiety.  It is just as likely that my lack of medication and personal events were the cause.  I will never know.

But that said, IMHO, rTMS is still too experimental to pay alot of money for, unless you have lots of money to burn, or they offer a money back guarantee, or you're really desperate (in which case I might opt for ECT -- longer track record).

On the other hand, the final data from the current study will tell alot.  If they have a 80+% response rate, I'd say great --  they're getting it dialed in.  A 60% response rate would show promise, but I don't know if I would lay the big money down with those odds, unless I'd tried everything else first.

Who knows, maybe some day TMS will be the only treatment and complete cure for depression, and we will think of AD meds as barbaric ;)

-- Abby

Edited by AbbyNormal, 08 November 2005 - 02:45 PM.

#8 Kat

Kat

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:51 PM

Well, unfortunately I don't have a lot of options left.  Also, any of the SSRI's (of which I have no more to try) only have about a 60% success rate.  My stomach was ruined by the last AD I tried, so I can't even try another med at this point.

I am probably going to go to mindcare centres in Toronto in February or March.  I know its a huge crapshoot, but it feels better than doing absolutely nothing and I am not comfortable with trying ECT at this point.

Hopefully, I'll be one of the lucky ones it works for!

#9 AbbyNormal

AbbyNormal

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:34 PM

Well Kat,

I'm sorry that you're not feeling well, but as for the TMS -- I'm excited for you! 

You know, meds have worked for me where they have failed you.  So, I'm thinking that the reverse will be true for the TMS  ;)

Please let me know how it goes.

-- Abby

#10 Kat

Kat

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 04:44 PM

Thanks for the kind words.  Meds used to work for me until something went terribly wrong during paxil withdrawal. 

I hope the rTMS will work!  I've just got to find the strength to get through the next couple of months.

I'll make sure to post back here when I start treatments.

Anybody else out there who has had this treatment?

#11 Miss Perfection

Miss Perfection

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:19 PM

Kat,

Well first of all, I don't think rTMS wil make things worse for you.

But wether you get the desired effect remains the question.

I underwent rTMS as part of a clinical trial in a university hospital last May. At first I must say I felt a steady improvement in the second week. My interest in the general things in life increased quite strongly. I.e., I was able to actually sit down and watch a whole episode of a series on tv. For me this was quite a feat!!

However, after about 6 weeks, the good effect seemed to diminish.

After giving it a lot of thought, I think it's because the limited number of sessions I had. The hospital would only provide 10 sessions of 20 minutes each. In hind sight I think this is too short for a long term effect. Nonetheless, if they would offer to do it again, I would do so in a blink of an eye. I remember one session when I actually fell asleep during treatment. Surely this says something about the soothing effect on the brain!

So, whatever you choose, best of luck!

Maria
;)

#12 olmedina

olmedina

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:51 PM

I am trying to get into the NYSPI study of rTMS for OCD. I am completely unable to tolerate medication, so, I am really hoping they'll let me in to give this a try.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.