Photo
- - - - -

how fast does a Prozac dose increase work?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ldo

ldo

• Pip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:32 AM

I'm wondering how long people think it takes to respond to an increase in dose with Prozac.

I've been taking it again for a while, ramping up a bit as we get deeper into the SAD season. ( I don't have the dx, but December is my least favorite month, by far.) I was prescribed 10mg, but I started with 5, then alternated 5 and 10, then up to 10. Even with 5 there was definitely an improvement. Between the short days and stress at work*, the Prozac and the anxiety and depression have been neck and neck. Sometimes one is winning, sometimes the other. My default mood is sort of ok most of the time, but I'm really lackadaisical about getting things done, and I'm spacier than normal, and sometimes I get kind of anxious. Trying to decide if I should ask for a dose increase or if the lengthening days are going to take care of it before the extra Prozac does.

Thanks in advance.

*plus my Dad died in May, which probably started me down this path again

Edited by ldo, 10 January 2011 - 11:50 PM.

dx:
dysthymia, ADD (mostly inattentive)
(dysthymia well treated, ADD not so much)
rx:
dexedrine 5mg three times/day, sorta
back on Prozac, alternating 5 and 7.5mg/day
150mg bupropion sr (generic Welbutrin) daily
clonidine for sleep, I forget how much
various heart/bp/cholesterol meds

#2 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13241 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:21 AM

It can take for fucking ever.

Six weeks or so.

If you're taking it for SAD it could be spring before you reach a good dose. I took 60 mgs.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#3 mcjimjam

mcjimjam

• Pip
  • 1456 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:06 AM

I know this is off-topic but do you find Wellbutrin or Dexedrine to exacerbate the anxiety you mentioned?

When I was on Wellbutrin I was very stressed, anxious and hardly slept. I just couldn't relax.

Dexedrine and Ritalin made me feel sort of "too alert". Like I'd be in class and be very focused on the lecturer but I'd feel as though everyone was watching me, kinda tense.

Anyway.. To answer your question I generally think of it like however long the med took to kick in initially (or from when the target/recommended dose was reached) is how long it will probably take for there to be any benefit of a dose increase. I haven't ever taken Prozac but from memory I think CrazyMeds says it can take 8 weeks! It might've been "up to 8 weeks" though.

Dx: BP2, ADD, anxiety
Rx: Lithium 1250mg (0.9mEq/L)
, Cymbalta 120mg, Concerta 36mg, Remeron 15mg, Inderal 10mg, Valium 10-20mg

#4 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:38 PM

Yeah, prozac can take up to 8 weeks to START noticing. It is not the most fast acting shit out there....

Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#5 ldo

ldo

• Pip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:48 PM

Well, I've been taking the low dose for a while, and it works, some. Was thinking maybe an increase might work faster. Hmmm...
dx:
dysthymia, ADD (mostly inattentive)
(dysthymia well treated, ADD not so much)
rx:
dexedrine 5mg three times/day, sorta
back on Prozac, alternating 5 and 7.5mg/day
150mg bupropion sr (generic Welbutrin) daily
clonidine for sleep, I forget how much
various heart/bp/cholesterol meds

#6 Guest_ldo_*

Guest_ldo_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:10 AM

I think Welbutrin CAN make me more vulnerable to anxiety, but it doesn't make me anxious all the time. Dexedrine is much less anxiety provoking than Adderall was. I think I'd have to take more to get the effect you describe, but it's a delicate balance because it I take too much it might aggravate a couple of my other health problems. Have discussed dropping the Welbutrin with tdoc, but have not done so yet.

The first time I took Prozac, I noticed effects within a couple of weeks. I think this time it was faster. My s.o. noticed changes within a week.

Actually, I've been taking the 15mg for a few days, and I think I'm starting to notice something.

#7 cinnamaldehyde

cinnamaldehyde

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:25 PM

Well, I've been taking the low dose for a while, and it works, some. Was thinking maybe an increase might work faster. Hmmm...

I remember Prozac taking FOREVER this time, probably on the longer side of the 6-8 weeks commonly described. But I started at 20mg. However, my pdoc likes to wait a month before an increase to see if it's going to be effective as to not over-medicate me. I was up to 70mg, but have slowly backed down to 60mg.

Cinna...

Edit: wrong number

Edited by cinnamaldehyde, 12 January 2011 - 11:26 PM.

Schizoaffective Disorder
Bulimia Nervosa (in remission)

Seroquel XR 600mg, Zeldox 40mg (increasing), Prozac 70mg

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.