- - - - -

new to bipolar- lithium or something else?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_daisy131864_*

Guest_daisy131864_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:05 AM

hi guys i'm new to this board, and somewhat new to bipolar.

i am currently being treated with 5 mg abilify for OCD and xanax for severe anxiety. i tried klonopin but it was a horse tranquilizer at .5 mg for me.

i go back to the pdoc tomorrow, and i'm wondering if i need to mention a mood stabilizer. i have heard not so great things about abilify being a drug that kindles bipolar instead of handling mood swings. she thinks i have cyclothymia. i don't have a problem with depression as much as i do impulsive behavior and sleep, so i guess i'm more hypomanic than depressed- more melancoly than anything.

anyone else out there who has bipolar NOS or cyclothymia? i know everyone's bodies are different, but i jsut want to know what my options are for a mood stabilizer, as i dont know that abilify is neccessarily doing the trick.

thanks!

#2 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:18 AM

With bipolar NOS your options for mood stabilizers are pretty much the same as anyone else's.

As someone who can't handle abilify, I'd say ask for something else, but exactly what you take is going to depend on your sx.

There is some limited evidence out there that mood stabilizers are better at reapairing the underlying brain dysfunction, so even though I take an AAP for sx (and for all I know, it's doing brain repair as well) I am all for mood stabilizers in bipolar.

If you are more on the activated side, things like tegretol, depakote, and possibly lithium might be your best bets.

More depressive, lamictal and lithium.

Then there's trileptal and topamax and some of the odder stuff, which I would say don't start with although some people have great responses to them, the reserach on their effectiveness is somewhat more limited, and topamax in particular can give some annoying side effects. I don't think I'd ever take the 'max, ever, though it is the only mood stabilizer I haven't tried (and I even tried zonegran, for christ's sakes) just because I don't want to lose my higher order thinking and whatnot.

Cyclothymia CAN and does respond to mood stabiliers has been my clinical experience.

You may need a mood stabilizer and an AAP I don't know, it's a not uncommon situation. Cocktails in BP are fiarly much the norm, i know of pretty few people on just one drug, although it CAN happen and maybe you will be one of teh lucky ones....

However, I am for the most part not a fan of AAP monotherapy for TRUE bp, which it seems like you are fairly convinced you have. And if you say abilify is not working, I'd say switch to a mood stabilizer first.

Be aware that mood stabilizers don't work as quickly as AAPs so it may take a few months to see a full effect. Why this is, I have no clue.

Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#3 Guest_daisy131864_*

Guest_daisy131864_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:23 AM

With bipolar NOS your options for mood stabilizers are pretty much the same as anyone else's.

As someone who can't handle abilify, I'd say ask for something else, but exactly what you take is going to depend on your sx.

There is some limited evidence out there that mood stabilizers are better at reapairing the underlying brain dysfunction, so even though I take an AAP for sx (and for all I know, it's doing brain repair as well) I am all for mood stabilizers in bipolar.

If you are more on the activated side, things like tegretol, depakote, and possibly lithium might be your best bets.

More depressive, lamictal and lithium.

Then there's trileptal and topamax and some of the odder stuff, which I would say don't start with although some people have great responses to them, the reserach on their effectiveness is somewhat more limited, and topamax in particular can give some annoying side effects. I don't think I'd ever take the 'max, ever, though it is the only mood stabilizer I haven't tried (and I even tried zonegran, for christ's sakes) just because I don't want to lose my higher order thinking and whatnot.

Cyclothymia CAN and does respond to mood stabiliers has been my clinical experience.

You may need a mood stabilizer and an AAP I don't know, it's a not uncommon situation. Cocktails in BP are fiarly much the norm, i know of pretty few people on just one drug, although it CAN happen and maybe you will be one of teh lucky ones....

However, I am for the most part not a fan of AAP monotherapy for TRUE bp, which it seems like you are fairly convinced you have. And if you say abilify is not working, I'd say switch to a mood stabilizer first.

Be aware that mood stabilizers don't work as quickly as AAPs so it may take a few months to see a full effect. Why this is, I have no clue.

Anna

what is depakote like? i'm not as familiar with that one.

#4 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:28 AM

I love it, it's the only thing that works for me, but it's great for mania/mixed. I do find it helps stabilize the depressive side of things, but only after about 4 months or so....

It does have a lot of annoying side effects, including a tendency to weight gain (take the ER version if you can get it) and hunger, particularly at higher doses. It can be prone to making your hair thinner, and if you are female it does have that annoying PCOS risk. My periods stop after about 3 months on, every time.

I have gone on/off several times due to thsi, but i finally capitulated to the d., and I just went to obgyn yesterday and found out how to slough off my uterine lining with progesterone, so I'll be doing that for now.

If you're male, it tends to be easier.

It can just be a rough one, on the old body systems (it's hard on the liver as well) but my brain adores it.

Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#5 SashaSue

SashaSue

Vulpes Bipolaris

• Pip
  • 4565 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:53 AM

More recent studies have indeed suggested AAP's have neuroprotective qualities as well. As far as what med will be most effective for you, it's pretty much impossible to predict. Personally, I'm a big fan of AAP's generally, and seroquel specifically. But that's me.

Depending on how you're doing now, if you're needing something to help stabilize you more quickly, one option might be to start an AAP now, for the speediness, and also start titrating up on lithium, or depakote, or whatever. Then, when you've reached a therapeutic level/dosage of it, taper off the AAP.
Dx: Bipolar I, ADHD<br />
Rx: Seroquel, 800mg, Lamictal, 150mg, Effexor, 325mg, Wellbutrin, 450, Dexedrine ER, 60mg

#6 ahalo

ahalo

• Pip
  • 587 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:07 AM

I love Lithium and Abilify. I have to take Cogentin for some restlessness with Abilify but they've both been good to me. I had more depressive symptoms. Some random off the wall feeling drunk but wasn't, or extreme agitation, or unbelievable anger, at times. I also loved Geodon. No antidepressant could help my depression until I was on Lithium and they aggravated my manic type symptoms.

----0.jpg We don't benefit from ignorance. -Obama, 1/16/13

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry. ~Ernest Hemingy, A Farewell To Arms

#7 Tarquin

Tarquin

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:22 PM

As someone who tends more towards being mixed, I haven't found much luck with lithium. I'm just starting Depakote now, so we'll see how that does. The others that have commented here have given you great advice already. I'd definitely consider talking to your pdoc about adding a mood stabilizer.

#8 AnneMarie

AnneMarie

• Pip
  • 4644 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:23 PM

If your doctor believes that you have cyclothymia, you may be able to manage your symptoms without antipsychotics or stabilizers. Some believe cyclothymia has a different etiology than bipolar and that meds are not the right way to go. Others argue it is on the same spectrum.

Before trying the heavy meds, I would give therapy a serious try. It is part of treating bipolar, so it's not like you'd be going astray. Have you done that yet?

Bipolar I and ADD

#9 rowen

rowen

Bringin' Sexy Back

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1932 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:35 PM

You're on a low dose of Abilify. Your doc may just end up raising it to see what happens. Abilify is an activating med. It doesn't play well with some of the BP crowd. For those people who find that it works, it probably doesn't cause kindling as it is stabilizing the mood.

If you tend to swing towards the hypomanic and she's insistent on an AAP, she might end up doing something sedating. Seroquel isn't too bad, if you can deal with the sleepiness. It would probably help with the OCD, and you could might be able to nix the benzo.

I have been every flavor of Bipolar, and have now come back to Mood Disorder NOS. Heh. Also, OCD and working on AvPD
Old issues: ED NOS
Meds - Lamictal 200mg, Effexor XR 150mg, lithium 900 mg, trazodone PRN, Ativan PRN
Old meds - Lexapro, Remeron, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta/Seroquel, Abilify, Geodon/Ambien, Lunesta, Sonata/Klonopin

May all beings be free from all pain and suffering.

I am not a doctor. Keep that in mind.

#10 mj1127

mj1127

• Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:14 PM

Bipolar NOS also; I've been on lithium and Abilify for about 3 years I think. In that time, I've had only the beginning of a mixed episode that didn't turn into anything (when I had to reduce my Li dose temporarily), and one manic/hypomanic episode (when I was on much less lithium). Depression has been more of a problem, as it always was, but we're working on that too. It was interesting to me that when I had to reduce my Li dose, I actually felt much more depressed initially, even though I know it works more on the high end stuff for me, but it was kind of a neat demonstration of how it does both. Well actually, from here it's a neat demonstration; it wasn't so much fun at the time.

I've been on a variety of Abilify doses, from 1mg to 12.5mg, and it does different things in different ranges. In my experience the 1-5mg range tends to be more activating, while 5-10mg is a bit more calming. I felt irritable at 12.5mg, so we stayed at 10 and didn't go any higher, though many people do. Fighting a bad depression, I've needed more of a boost the past year or so, so I'm back at 5 (went as low as 2.5 but 5 is better). I've been told I'm not very nice on Abilify alone - we tried that very briefly with outstanding antidepressant effects but way too much irritability. The combination of Li and Abilify keeps the irritability in check nicely.
MJ
dx: Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine
Rx: Lithium CR 1200mg, Wellbutrin 225mg, Abilify 5mg
, Latuda 20mg, Adderall 20mg BID, Xanax XR .125mg BID
Past Rx: Depakote, Lamictal, Neurontin, Tegretol, Invega, Saphris, Zyprexa,
BuSpar, Dalmane, Klonopin, Adderall XR, Concerta, Ritalin, Ritalin SR, Vyvanse, Anafranil, Elavil, Tofranil, Celexa, Lexapro, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Corgard, Inderal, Ambien, Lunesta, Sonata, probably others

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.