• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 netsavy006

netsavy006

I'm Andy

• Pip
  • 2165 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:15 PM

Hi. I'm currently on the IR Xanax. I have my doctor's appt tomorrow. I'm currently on 2.5mg per day of Xanax. The next step down would be to go to 2mg per day of Xanax.

The pdoc told me a few weeks ago that when I got to the 2mg mark that he was going to convert me over to Xanax XR. One problem I have is that I don't know if Xanax XR is covered by Medicaid in Long Island NY USA.

I tried to ask the nurse at program and she said the best I could do would be to either call the pharmacy or wait till I get the script and have the pharmacy run it though (which is exactly what the pharmacy told me I'm going to have to do (need the script for them to run).

But I figure there maybe others on the forum who have medicaid and either have taken or are on Xanax XR who I hope will give me an honest answer. I don't want to go to the pharmacy tomorrow and find out that I cant get Xanax XR and not have for the next 2 weeks.

So, does medicaid cover Xanax XR?

(I hope I can ask this type of question)

Thanks,
Andy...

- Andy -
Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia + Acid Reflex Disease
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg QID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Omeprazole + Colace + Centrum + Fish Oil

#2 Indigo 'n dye

Indigo 'n dye

• Pip
  • 3667 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:52 PM

So, does medicaid cover Xanax XR?

You need to contact your medicaid provider and ask them!

#3 sylvan

sylvan

Pill Party

• Admin
  • 4283 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:20 PM

Call the pharmacy. They'll know.

It has been a year since one of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing passed away. He was strong, intelligent, caring, and honest. I had the honor of calling him Daddy. I will miss both my parents for as long as I live. I hope that I can be even half as good of a spouse, parent, and friend as the two of them were. Life is now forever changed for me. It will never be like it was. That doesn't mean it will all be bad, it will just be different.

#4 netsavy006

netsavy006

I'm Andy

• Pip
  • 2165 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:54 PM

I did call the pharmacy but they told me that they would need the prescription to run through (which I don't have right now).

- Andy -
Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia + Acid Reflex Disease
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg QID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Omeprazole + Colace + Centrum + Fish Oil

#5 sylvan

sylvan

Pill Party

• Admin
  • 4283 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:07 PM

I did call the pharmacy but they told me that they would need the prescription to run through (which I don't have right now).

Then wait until you do have the Rx and take it to the pharmacy then.

It has been a year since one of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing passed away. He was strong, intelligent, caring, and honest. I had the honor of calling him Daddy. I will miss both my parents for as long as I live. I hope that I can be even half as good of a spouse, parent, and friend as the two of them were. Life is now forever changed for me. It will never be like it was. That doesn't mean it will all be bad, it will just be different.

#6 december_brigette

december_brigette

• Pip
  • 2633 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:40 PM

Just my experience:

I took the XR version for years because thats what was prescribed. and then one time my pdoc made a mistake and gave me the IR version. I didnt notice it until I went to the pharmacy and they notified me of the error. I said "what the hell" and went ahead and took the IR. I didnt notice a difference...except for price. IR is cheaper than XR.

Im almost certain someone here has posted the research that shows there is not much difference...unless, of course, the research has changed. :)

I'd have a long talk with pdoc about this change and if its really necessary.
db

dx: bipolar 1, anxiety, and a little ptsd

current meds:
cymbalta 90mgs
depakote 1500 mg
prazosin 1 mg
seroquel 50 mg

topamax 50mg
xanax 2.50 mg

other meds ive tried: abilify, ambien, effexor xr, lamictal, lexapro, lithium, lunesta, paxil, provigil, tegretol, trazodone, wellbutrin, zoloft.

"I mixed Benadryl and Tegretol one time. Spent three days guessing weight at the Iowa State Fair. Got crabs, and a tattoo, of a crab," Andy on "weeds."

"Psychiatry is just this year's candy pink stove." from the tv show Madmen.

#7 mj1127

mj1127

• Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:06 AM

The XR is available as a generic. I would expect it would be covered.
MJ
dx: Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine
Rx: Lithium CR 1200mg, Wellbutrin 225mg, Abilify 5mg
, Latuda 20mg, Adderall 20mg BID, Xanax XR .125mg BID
Past Rx: Depakote, Lamictal, Neurontin, Tegretol, Invega, Saphris, Zyprexa,
BuSpar, Dalmane, Klonopin, Adderall XR, Concerta, Ritalin, Ritalin SR, Vyvanse, Anafranil, Elavil, Tofranil, Celexa, Lexapro, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Corgard, Inderal, Ambien, Lunesta, Sonata, probably others

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.