• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mynameisiforgot

mynameisiforgot

A mental case mess.

• Pip
  • 494 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:17 AM

Most people who have ever been on Seroquel will know what i'm talking about. The horrid Seroquel hunger. I am currenty on 400mg of Seroquel XR and it's possibly going to be increased in the next few days.

Does anyone have any 'sneaky' ways to fill the Seroquel hunger without having to binge like a pig? As I have an ED it's also making me feel utterly insane.

Schizoaffective Disorder. Bulimia.

1,000mg Lithium. 400mg Seroquel. 20mg Escitalopram. 10mg Valium (PRN)

#2 liveoak

liveoak

Bite me.

• Pip
  • 908 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:31 AM

yep, I do know it. I finally decided I'd rather be fat and sane than skinny and sick and out of my mind. Having said that... hm. sugar free jello? That is something I've been eating lately. They also have sugar free rice pudding and tapioca pudding. If you hate sugar free stuff, there's always veggies and salads. I know that all sounds obvious. The main issue for me is that Seroquel makes me crave carbs... I wish I knew what to do about THAT.
Dx: Severe Major Depressive Disorder, Refractory with Psychotic Features.. Generalized Anxiety Disorder. PTSD.

Wellbutrin SR,
added in hospital 5/11--1 tab per day..// 9/2/11 increased to 2 tabs per day for depression and energy
09/2/09.Start Lamictal
5/29/10 300mg Lamictal
Seroquel 150, 300mg
Cymbalta 90mg, 60mg, 120mg
Klonopin .5mg 3x per day per hospital psychiatrist
Clonidine .1 mg .2mg .3mg at bedtime for nightmares, hot flashes, anxiety, blood pressure.
Metformin 1000 mg 2x per day
synthroid .175

#3 mynameisiforgot

mynameisiforgot

A mental case mess.

• Pip
  • 494 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:49 AM

yep, I do know it. I finally decided I'd rather be fat and sane than skinny and sick and out of my mind. Having said that... hm. sugar free jello? That is something I've been eating lately. They also have sugar free rice pudding and tapioca pudding. If you hate sugar free stuff, there's always veggies and salads. I know that all sounds obvious. The main issue for me is that Seroquel makes me crave carbs... I wish I knew what to do about THAT.

Yeah i've been craving carbs and fatty foods. Pizza mainly. I actually have some jelly in our cupboard but i'm unsure if it's fat free, I need to go grocery shopping. When I last went I ended up buying some gluten free veggie chips, about 3 bags (oh lord) but I was smart enough to not eat them all in one go, but they really filled my cravings. I'm going to have a look around the supermarket when I go next for some low fat/sugar free things.

Oh I just remembered, they do have certain foods like chocolate and candy that are specifically made for people who are on diets, I might try them too.

#4 holythesea

holythesea

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:02 AM

I obviously know what you're talking about. It's like you get the munchies. I eat wholewheat Salada crackers and sometimes I slice up boiled eggs and put it on them with salt and pepper. Those together are 213 calories. I bought these Atkins snackbars today too and the ones I got are chocolate decadence (252 calories) and cappuccino nut (171 calories). They're rather high but I'm only going to use them as a snack once a day. I only tend to get the cravings after I take my Seroquel. Sometimes I do crave pizza but I usually purge it after we eat, as you know. Grainwaves are an awesome thing to eat too and they're so yum.

Edited by holythesea, 25 February 2011 - 06:03 AM.

if there's no one beside you when your soul embarks, i will follow you into the dark.

Current Dx: Major Depressive Disorder, Bipolar II, ED-NOS, Insomnia, Mild Social Anxiety, Mild OCD.
Current Rx: Seroquel 600mg, Citalopram 20mg, Melatonin 6mg, Duromine 15mg.

Past Dx: Dysthymia, Bipolar Spectrum, Anorexia.
Past Rx: Zoloft, Risperdal, Lexapro.

#5 mynameisiforgot

mynameisiforgot

A mental case mess.

• Pip
  • 494 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:40 AM

I obviously know what you're talking about. It's like you get the munchies. I eat wholewheat Salada crackers and sometimes I slice up boiled eggs and put it on them with salt and pepper. Those together are 213 calories. I bought these Atkins snackbars today too and the ones I got are chocolate decadence (252 calories) and cappuccino nut (171 calories). They're rather high but I'm only going to use them as a snack once a day. I only tend to get the cravings after I take my Seroquel. Sometimes I do crave pizza but I usually purge it after we eat, as you know. Grainwaves are an awesome thing to eat too and they're so yum.

That's a good idea, I think when I go shopping next i'm going to get a few of those snack bars, and other things similar. That way I can eat, and not feel as guilty and not have as bigger urge to purge them. I've been on the search for months for this low cal hot chocolate which apparently has 10 cal or something in it. Don't remember the name though, which sucks.

#6 holythesea

holythesea

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:31 AM

I totally recommend Grain Waves. Except once you start eating them you don't want to stop D: I just ate the chocolate one and it made me feel sick but I think that's cause of the lactose. It didn't really taste like chocolate. More fake chocolate. I'd rather eat real chocolate. You can try it though. Oh man, low cal hot chocolate. Yes please. We can have a look at the big Woolies in the city.
if there's no one beside you when your soul embarks, i will follow you into the dark.

Current Dx: Major Depressive Disorder, Bipolar II, ED-NOS, Insomnia, Mild Social Anxiety, Mild OCD.
Current Rx: Seroquel 600mg, Citalopram 20mg, Melatonin 6mg, Duromine 15mg.

Past Dx: Dysthymia, Bipolar Spectrum, Anorexia.
Past Rx: Zoloft, Risperdal, Lexapro.

#7 creepy

creepy

• Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:38 AM

Aside from topamax and metformin I dont know of any way to avoid the weight gain on AAPs =(
Topamax worked great on overeating, but the side effects can be difficult.
C-PTSD, MDD, clycothymia
50mg sertraline, 150mg bupropion XL

#8 Isolde

Isolde

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:23 PM

I am not sure, but I munch on pretzels, for something that gives me a little something. I know that the Seroquel I take is pretty
bad. but truth to tell, Paxil is worse for weight gain. I have lowered my dose of Paxil from 30 to 20 and that has helped.
I take 2 to 300 mg of Seroquel at night. I try to take the least amount of Seroquel that I can get away with.
Bipolar since my twenties.
Hypothyroid since my thirties.

#9 wemble

wemble

• Pip
  • 242 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:53 PM

swiss miss and nesquick (i think) have low cal hot chocolates, 20 cal i think.

and chocolate almond milk is amazing. all almond milk is actually and very low in calories.

try replacing other stuff you each with lower calorie things maybe?

oatmeal always fills me up too.

Edited by wemble, 25 February 2011 - 12:54 PM.

Dx: Bipolar I, Rapid Cycling; Personality Disorder NOS with Avoidant Traits, OCD (they keep switching this one in and out...)

Current Rx: Lithium and 900mg, Depakote 1000mg, Topomax 50mg 2x/day, Lunesta 3mg

Past Rx: Prozac, Celexa, Pamelor, Bupropion, Risperidone, Lamotrigine, Saphris, Clonazepam, Abilify, Seroquel, Geodon, Hydroxyzine, Gabapentin, Trazodone, Ambien

name a side effect and I've probably had it...

_________

"At a certain part in your life, probably when too much of it has gone by, you will open your eyes and see yourself for who you are. Especially for everything that made you so different from all the awful normals. And you will say to yourself, "But I am this person." And in that statement, that correction, there will be a kind of love." Pheobe in Wonderland

#10 mynameisiforgot

mynameisiforgot

A mental case mess.

• Pip
  • 494 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:30 AM

swiss miss and nesquick (i think) have low cal hot chocolates, 20 cal i think.

and chocolate almond milk is amazing. all almond milk is actually and very low in calories.

try replacing other stuff you each with lower calorie things maybe?

oatmeal always fills me up too.

I went through this phase of having 3-4 nesquiks or strawberry milks a day, I was obsessed. I haven't had some in months, I never knew they came in low cal.. i'm going to have to search for them. Thanks!

#11 msm

msm

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:08 AM

I do not know if this will help regarding Seroquel (or any drugs), but snacking on protein can be really healthy. Keep some cooked chicken breast in the 'fridge, just for grabbing a few bites when you are hungry - or an apple or some strawberries.

Edited by msm, 10 March 2011 - 05:02 AM.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.