• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 suncifir

suncifir

repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repe

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:55 PM

ivw just started taking lamictal and recently ive been feeling so weird. like im crazy but nothing is wrong AT ALL. except racing heart. anybody else on lamictal like this? just wanna know if its the drug not me( i have bp2, just as a btw)
Dx: BP II, Psycotic Disorder NOS
Current Meds: Seroquel 50 mg
Old Meds: Lamictal 25 mg, Abilify 5 mg

" What else should i be, all apologies " - Nirvana

#2 ninetynine

ninetynine

"The bluebird carries the sky on his back." (Thoreau)

• Pip
  • 5279 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:41 AM

You should contact the doctor who prescribed the lamictal. It is a very powerful drug and will not suit everyone. I assume you've started low dose and are working up incrementally to a higher dose. When did you start?

ivw just started taking lamictal and recently ive been feeling so weird. like im crazy but nothing is wrong AT ALL. except racing heart. anybody else on lamictal like this? just wanna know if its the drug not me( i have bp2, just as a btw)

Ninetynine

~-----~~-----~

4025mr7.gif

#3 suncifir

suncifir

repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repe

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:04 AM

i started a week ago, and im only on 25 mg so far.
Dx: BP II, Psycotic Disorder NOS
Current Meds: Seroquel 50 mg
Old Meds: Lamictal 25 mg, Abilify 5 mg

" What else should i be, all apologies " - Nirvana

#4 wemble

wemble

• Pip
  • 242 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

honestly, i didn't have many side effects. there was a slight decrease in appetite that i'm feeling again (now that i'm only on lamictal again and not a bunch of other shit) and i felt a SLIGHT decrease in anxiety when i first upped to 50mg, but that faded after a bit. i'm on 200mg right now, and i'm not sure how i feel. i'm more stable, but i also just came off a crappy episode so i can't tell if the drug's working or if i'm just in between things (i'm feeling some crappy stuff starting to come back).

this is the second time i'm on it. last time i got to 150mg before coming off. i didn't go off due to side effects, and i don't remember any, but i was reading through some stuff i wrote then and complaining about how the medicine was doing shit and i was just taking it for the side effects, but i couldn't tell you what they were.

this is probably the only drug i haven't had a god awful reaction to. hope you feel better.
Dx: Bipolar I, Rapid Cycling; Personality Disorder NOS with Avoidant Traits, OCD (they keep switching this one in and out...)

Current Rx: Lithium and 900mg, Depakote 1000mg, Topomax 50mg 2x/day, Lunesta 3mg

Past Rx: Prozac, Celexa, Pamelor, Bupropion, Risperidone, Lamotrigine, Saphris, Clonazepam, Abilify, Seroquel, Geodon, Hydroxyzine, Gabapentin, Trazodone, Ambien

name a side effect and I've probably had it...

_________

"At a certain part in your life, probably when too much of it has gone by, you will open your eyes and see yourself for who you are. Especially for everything that made you so different from all the awful normals. And you will say to yourself, "But I am this person." And in that statement, that correction, there will be a kind of love." Pheobe in Wonderland

#5 AnneMarie

AnneMarie

• Pip
  • 4644 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:49 PM

Lamicta is a bit of a weird drug. A lot of people will have a rocky time while starting. It is not unusual to feel fine on one dose, not fine on the next, and then fine again on a higher dose. This is pretty normal. In a way, it acts as a antidepressant at lower doses and doesn't start to be a strong(ish) stabilizer until 150-200mg.

I had a little bit of a ride starting. At first, I couldn't go over 175mg without cognitive issues. Over time this change. Cognitively, I'm fine at 250mg now and the med keeps depression at bay. I haven't had any real amount in over a year, which is good for me. So, I think you should hang in there at least until you get to your pdoc's target dose.

Bipolar I and ADD

#6 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:54 PM

Yes, it's really hard to tell what lamictal is going to do for you until you are titrated all the way up.

Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#7 jt07

jt07

Existing on the very edge of sanity

• Inmate
  • 7370 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:40 AM

I can tell you that I had A LOT of anxiety, including a pounding heart, at the low doses of Lamictal. When I got to the mid-range doses, my moods started to oscillate wildly. Now I am at a therapeutic dose, and I am feeling stable. Also, in my case, the cognitive issue has gone away. So I think you have to give it time and not judge it on the first month or so when you are titrating, and after the first month, you have to give it at least another month before you can decide whether it is doing anything for you. In general, I have read good things about Lamictal for those who tolerate it. It is one of the few meds that get such praise. My advice to you is to talk to your pdoc if you have concerns and ride it out for a month or so.

BTW, I can tell you what Lamictal has done for me. It gives me the opportunity to choose not to feel bad, if that makes any sense.

Dx: Atypical MDD with anxiety, possible ADD, OCD (mostly recovered)
Rx: Citalopram (20 mg), Remeron (45 mg), Abilify (30 mg), Carbamazepine (800 mg), Lamotrigine (200 mg), Ritalin (20 mg AM, 10 mg PM)

горький осадок, но сахара не надо

#8 ExtraTinyQuailBones

ExtraTinyQuailBones

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:29 PM

Hi,

I have a question about Lamictal/Lamotrogine.
I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience...

I am diagnosed as having mixed state bipolar.
I have been on a 25mg dose of Seroquel and Lamictal was added about 2 months ago.
I started on 12.5 and titrated up by the same amount, every 1 or 2 weeks, until I hit 62mg, last week.
It has felt very strange in general, the brain fog is completely gone, I haven't had this kind of
clarity and focus for maybe 15 years. My social and self-conscious anxiety, instinct to withdraw,
and feeling like I am not in the moment have almost all disappeared.
I feel AWAKE.

Those are the good things. I am excited about being alive again.

Then there are these other things - The AWAKE-ness and clarity although, a very welcome factor,
make me feel like I am on the brink of complete mania. I actually feel like I am in a constant
state of a controlled mania.
Once I hit 50mg I felt very very WIRED. My brain still felt open, which is good but I felt like I drank too much coffee
but never seemed to crash.
Then at 62mg it was out of control, I was sweating all night and itching my skin and scalp.

My MAIN QUESTION in all of this is-

Somewhere in the process I became convinced that my hair was falling out because of Lamictal.
I researched it like crazy and would sit and pull all the loose hairs out of my head and start
collecting them just to keep track of the amounts. The anxiety that surrounded this was
astronomical and it fed itself until all I have done for 3 weeks is obsess about this hair
situation. The thing is, I can't tell anymore if I have always lost this much hair or if it is the
Lamictal. But I decided to go off it yesterday because I figured if it was the Lamictal making
me lose my hair then that is bad, and if it wasn't, but the Lamictal was giving me that
much anxiety and obsession over something then that is also bad. Lose/Lose situation.
This kind of anxiety and obsessive behavior are in my nature somewhat but not
to this extent.

So - After reading the posts here, I wanted to know if my reaction to the medication
could possibly be a side effect of the initial anxiety that Lamictal causes at low doses
and at higher, more therapeutic doses the feeling of being wired goes away?

And

Did any of you lose your hair on it?

Any thoughts would be very appreciated, I am afraid to completely jump ship
because of the positive effects of the medication but the negative effects
so far are extremely unpleasant, and seem to get worse as I titrate up.

Thank you-

#9 Gearhead

Gearhead

The Iguana In a Room Full of Rabbits

• Pip
  • 1745 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:01 PM

I started Lamictal a month and a half ago, at 25 mgs a day, and found within four days that this is the one med in my cocktail that I have to take in the morning. I cannot sleep if I take it at night. About a week in (I've been taking copious notes), after the headaches and muscle aches and a brief case of the stoopids wore off, I began to find it very activating. Bordering on "Am I hypomanic?" activating. First I felt perky, and then kind of feral. That lasted until about the end of my second week at 50 mgs. But I also felt clear-headed, if that makes sense. I didn't have the racing thoughts or flight of ideas I get with mania. Everything just seemed easier and less onerous than I'm used to.

Gatorade or an equivalent helps. I have no idea why. I hate the stuff, actually, but now I crave it. I'm drinking a lot of water too, but I always do that. Stay away, firmly away, from caffeine and sugar.

And as to the hair-related question: I am definitely shedding more. Since I a) have ridiculously thick hair to start with and b) feel so much better, I don't care, but I was curious enough about it to go over to the Lamictal page at CrazyMeds.us and look up the hair loss question. It happens to a lot of people, apparently. A couple of people posted a combination of vitamins that they took to reverse the problem, but I don't remember what they were. You'll find it.

Bipolar I, sports fans. Autism spectrum. With just un soupçon of migraine...

Give us this day our daily meds: 150 lamotrigine, 75 topiramate, 150 Seroquel XR, 100 Seroquel IR, 12.5 Ambien CR,
15 mgs escitalopram, 4000 i.u. Vit. D3

Cyclobenzaprine and Midrin PRN

Past, failed attempts: Effexor XR, Celexa, amitriptyline, Depakote, Geodon, klonopin, ativan, bupropion, busipirone, lithium, trazodone, Lunesta, Rozerem, gabapentine, mirtazapine, Wellbutrin, Temazepam, Sonata

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

#10 Obscuremachine

Obscuremachine

Moving At The Speed of Dark

• Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:58 PM

each level seemed to affect me differently, though I never felt "crazy", at least not unusually. The latest increase seemed to cause a return of the depression, so I'm going to ask my pdoc about it.

Oh, and it could be my imagination, but it seems like my hair is getting thinner. Oh well,if it does I can just buzz my head.
I Reside Nearby, On The Obscured Side Of Lucid.

DX: Bipolar II, Major Depression,GAD, OCD, Who Knows What Else
Wellbutrin - 150mg
Lamictal - 200mg
Lexapro - 20mg
Lorazepam - 4mg
Pepto - 1 Gallon

#11 ExtraTinyQuailBones

ExtraTinyQuailBones

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:04 PM

<br />I started Lamictal a month and a half ago, at 25 mgs a day, and found within four days that this is the one med in my cocktail that I have to take in the morning. I cannot sleep if I take it at night. About a week in (I've been taking copious notes), after the headaches and muscle aches and a brief case of the stoopids wore off, I began to find it very activating. Bordering on &quot;Am I hypomanic?&quot; activating. First I felt perky, and then kind of feral. That lasted until about the end of my second week at 50 mgs. But I also felt clear-headed, if that makes sense. I didn't have the racing thoughts or flight of ideas I get with mania. Everything just seemed easier and less onerous than I'm used to. <br /><br />Gatorade or an equivalent helps. I have no idea why. I hate the stuff, actually, but now I crave it. I'm drinking a lot of water too, but I always do that. Stay away, firmly away, from caffeine and sugar.<br /><br />And as to the hair-related question: I am definitely shedding more. Since I a) have ridiculously thick hair to start with and b) feel so much better, I don't care, but I was curious enough about it to go over to the Lamictal page at CrazyMeds.us and look up the hair loss question. It happens to a lot of people, apparently. A couple of people posted a combination of vitamins that they took to reverse the problem, but I don't remember what they were. You'll find it.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Yes! I had those muscle aches too. They were sooooo weird. Also this weird numbness and tingling in my hands and legs at one point I thought that maybe I had had a stroke.
It's like, f' it, why not? Why not just throw a stroke in there while you're at it?

But yes, "activating" is the word.. and definitely clear headed.
The perky/feral/hypomanic part hasn't gone away with me though, actually got worse the higher I went.
But maybe if I had kept going up it would have. Oh well.
I just can't deal with the hair loss, it makes me feel insane.
Going to go off it and see if my hair gets any better.
In the meantime going to try Seroquel/Wellbutrin combination.

I know you're saying to stay away from caffeine and sugar but you do know there is a ton of sugar in gatorade, right?

Why is it bad to have caffeine and sugar? It's weird because I can tolerate more coffee with the lamictal. So weird.
All this shit is soooooo weird.

Thank you for the response!!

#12 ExtraTinyQuailBones

ExtraTinyQuailBones

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:09 PM

<br />each level seemed to affect me differently, though I never felt &quot;crazy&quot;, at least not unusually.  The latest increase seemed to cause a return of the depression, so I'm going to ask my pdoc about it.<br /><br />Oh, and it could be my imagination, but it seems like my hair is getting thinner.  Oh well,if it does I can just buzz my head.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Omg, it's probably not your imagination.

Can I ask, how is the Wellbutrin working out for you?

Thanks for the response!!

#13 Obscuremachine

Obscuremachine

Moving At The Speed of Dark

• Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:43 AM

"Omg, it's probably not your imagination."

Great! I always thought stress, anxiety or overwork would make my hair fall out. Now I find out meds to treat those things will. Is that Irony?

"Can I ask, how is the Wellbutrin working out for you?"

Wellbutrin took me from being a weeping, useless, angry, suicidal mess, to being generally melancholy. Melancholy was such an improvement that I was pleased with it. My pdoc increased from 150 to 300mg and my brain went into overdrive; racing thoughts at supersonic speed and mucho anxiety. So he lowered it back to melancholy levels and added Lamictal. I feel better, but still not "normal", as if I had any idea what normal is.
I Reside Nearby, On The Obscured Side Of Lucid.

DX: Bipolar II, Major Depression,GAD, OCD, Who Knows What Else
Wellbutrin - 150mg
Lamictal - 200mg
Lexapro - 20mg
Lorazepam - 4mg
Pepto - 1 Gallon

#14 Gearhead

Gearhead

The Iguana In a Room Full of Rabbits

• Pip
  • 1745 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:38 AM

I do know that Gatoraide has a ton of sugar. I had to hunt down a pseudo-Gatoraide that has electrolyte replacement but no sugar. Then I got to feeling guilty about all the plastic bottle and had to find a mix, as in from powder, with the least possible sugar. It's called VitaLyte: I got it at REI. It's pretty vile, but I keep sucking it down. Best thing for the head and body aches. Helps with the ferals, too, I know not why.

Bipolar I, sports fans. Autism spectrum. With just un soupçon of migraine...

Give us this day our daily meds: 150 lamotrigine, 75 topiramate, 150 Seroquel XR, 100 Seroquel IR, 12.5 Ambien CR,
15 mgs escitalopram, 4000 i.u. Vit. D3

Cyclobenzaprine and Midrin PRN

Past, failed attempts: Effexor XR, Celexa, amitriptyline, Depakote, Geodon, klonopin, ativan, bupropion, busipirone, lithium, trazodone, Lunesta, Rozerem, gabapentine, mirtazapine, Wellbutrin, Temazepam, Sonata

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

#15 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8757 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:23 PM

Gearhead, my husband has very bad epilepsy, and his electrolytes get screwed up a lot, from not eating, vomiting, or even the seizure itself (although maybe the imbalance causes the seizure, who knows). We keep quart-sized bottles of pedia-lyte in the house, for if he needs it. He says it is *slightly* sweet, but says the flavor is very "weak."

It is still a plastic bottle, though. We can recycle them where we live, so we try not to use too many plastic bottles, but it isn't a huge problem if we do use them.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.