• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 llama44

llama44

llama-licious

• Pip
  • 1146 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:36 PM

My pdoc started me on Latuda today. Is anyone else here on it? I hope it helps me sleep. You have to take it with food he said. I hope it curbs the mania. He started me on the lowest dose of 40mg. It's supposedly weight neutral. But I'll believe that when I see it. I hope it is. Saphris sure wasn't for me anyways. He took me off the saphris.
Diagnoses: Schizoaffective Bipolar Type ("Significant, Severe, Chronic, and Clear Cut"), Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Anorexia (in remission; dx in early teen years), OCD (dx in early teen years)

Current Meds: 600mg Seroquel, 30mg Abilify, 100mg Trazodone, 200mg Lamictal, 300mg Effexor XR, 3mg Klonopin.

Some days are better than others, but I do what I can.

How I'm doing now: I am down and am suicidal. I want to stay in bed forever. I never want to leave the apartment. The voices have been really bothering me. They also put thoughts in my head that aren't mine. They do this to torture me constantly. It is never silent.

#2 netsavy006

netsavy006

I'm Andy

• Pip
  • 2152 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:06 PM

Well the most I can help you with is their website, which doesn't even have much...

http://latuda.com/

Good luck with the new treatment,
Andy.

- Andy -
Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg QID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Propranolol 10mg TID + Centrum + Fish Oil

#3 llama44

llama44

llama-licious

• Pip
  • 1146 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:17 PM

Thanks for the link Andy! I will check out their website! I didn't even think to do that lol.
Diagnoses: Schizoaffective Bipolar Type ("Significant, Severe, Chronic, and Clear Cut"), Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Anorexia (in remission; dx in early teen years), OCD (dx in early teen years)

Current Meds: 600mg Seroquel, 30mg Abilify, 100mg Trazodone, 200mg Lamictal, 300mg Effexor XR, 3mg Klonopin.

How I'm doing now: I am down and am suicidal. I want to stay in bed forever. I never want to leave the apartment. The voices have been really bothering me. They also put thoughts in my head that aren't mine. They do this to torture me constantly. It is never silent.

#4 Cinnamon

Cinnamon

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:49 AM

How is the Latuda working out for you so far? I am starting it today, and I'm pretty scared because atypicals tend to have nasty side effects for me.

Dx: Bipolar I with psychotic features, GAD, Social Anxiety Disorder, Anorexia Nervosa b/p subtype
Past Dx: MDD, OCD, trichotillomania
Rx: Seroquel XR, Effexor XR, Trazodone, Klonopin
Past Rx: Prozac, Celexa, Lexapro, Zoloft, Luvox, Cymbalta, Effexor, Strattera, Pristiq, Wellbutrin, Anafranil, Buspar, Remeron, Lamictal, Trileptal, Lithium, Topamax, Geodon, Abilify, Risperdal, Invega, Fanapt, Saphris, Latuda, Sonata, Ambien, Ambien CR, Rozerem

#5 Cinnamon

Cinnamon

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:16 AM

By the way, my favorite thing is being told by my pdoc that medications that are clearly causing weight gain are weight neutral. He just reluctantly switched me from Saphris to Latuda, because I was experiencing intense hunger and binging and purging like a fiend to avoid weight gain. He tried to convince me that the hunger was "in my head" - isn't all hunger? - and it has been a relief to come on this board and see that others have had a similar experience with Saphris.

Dx: Bipolar I with psychotic features, GAD, Social Anxiety Disorder, Anorexia Nervosa b/p subtype
Past Rx: Prozac, Celexa, Lexapro, Zoloft, Luvox, Cymbalta, Effexor, Strattera, Pristiq, Wellbutrin, Anafranil, Buspar, Remeron, Lamictal, Trileptal, Lithium, Topamax, Geodon, Abilify, Risperdal, Invega, Fanapt, Saphris, Latuda, Sonata, Ambien, Ambien CR, Rozerem

#6 llama44

llama44

llama-licious

• Pip
  • 1146 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:05 PM

Hi there cinnamon! Wow we have similar med stories! I hope the latuda works for you! It doesn't make me drowsy (few things do unfortunately). So I'm having trouble sleeping! But my pdoc is going to give me something else or bump up my traz for that. The hunger on saphris is horrible. I have a friend on it who says the same. Has the same problem. SO it's not just you! Don't forget to take the latuda with at least 350 calories though. That's what the website says. So I just take mine with dinner because it doesn't make me drowsy. It does relax me though. Last night I only slept about 2 hours. Not helping the mania that's for sure!

#7 llama44

llama44

llama-licious

• Pip
  • 1146 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:51 PM

Should I be concerned that they are not testing this med for bp mania just bp depression in clinical trials!?!? I'm getting crazier by the hour. I know I know give it more time. I will. I really want this one to work. I just question why my pdoc always goes for the BRAND new stuff instead of the tried and true for mania. I'm really even starting to get sick of myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 Aurochs

Aurochs

I've got a lot on my mind and a lot of gun in my hand.

• Inmate
  • 792 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:22 PM

The likelihood of Latuda not being useful for bipolar mania is pretty damn low. I do agree that they should test it for treatment of manic symptoms, if only so they can find the proper dose (and collect more safety data). But I wouldn't worry about it not working at all.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." --Carl Sagan

#9 Cinnamon

Cinnamon

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:55 AM

Unfortunately, I'm having the same fears as llama44. I've taken this med for five days now, and I feel myself moving closer and closer to severe mania. I'm willing to give it more time, but, in the meantime, I've had to up my Xanax significantly just to slow down. I'm getting worried.

#10 Aurochs

Aurochs

• Inmate
  • 792 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:03 AM

Have you called your pdoc?

#11 Buddha22

Buddha22

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:48 AM

Hi all,

I started Latuda about 9 days ago. The first 4 days I definitely noticed a calming effect and no drowsiness (which is very unusual for me when I start a new med). BY the fifth day, my mood improved, but a little too much - I think I was on the hypomanic side. Fortunately, the hypomania lasted only a couple days, but then I went right back to being depressed. Now, on the 9th day, I feel alright, hypomania (or something like that) gone, depression a bit better.

I also have this unique type of paranoia in social situations that I'm really hoping the latuda gets rid of (prevents me from participating in many activities like working, socializing w/ friends, etc...). I've been on basically every atypical and typical antipsychotic over the course of 15 yrs and for a few yrs the combination of abilify and effexor helped my bipolar and psychosis to the degree where I could go back to school, socialize, etc... It wasn't perfect, but much better than on any other antipsychotic. Unfortunately, that combination just started not working after a few years and I had a major manic, delusional episode followed by two years of depression. I was really happy when my pdoc told me that a new atypical had come out that looked "very promising" (as he put it). So, he put me on Latuda and it's been pretty interesting so far. The paranoia subsided a bit for a few days, but then like the depression came back. It did make me hopeful though that this drug may very well be 'promising'. Let's see what happens in the next few weeks. He wants to increase me to 80mg from the 40mg I'm on now, within the next couple weeks. I'm tentatively hopeful about this med.

Best of luck to you Llama44! I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for reading :-)).

#12 Cinnamon

Cinnamon

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:29 PM

I haven't called my pdoc, because I am his Latuda guinea pig. He has never used it before because it is so new, so I doubt he has any insight. He did tell me that it would take at least a week to start working, and I haven't been taking it that long yet. He and I are kind of using this as a last-ditch effort, because NOTHING so far has controlled my mania. I'll keep taking it for at least another week, but if I get much more manic, I might have to go into the hospital for the umpteenth time.

#13 Aurochs

Aurochs

• Inmate
  • 792 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:27 PM

You should call him anyway, so he knows that you may be starting to slide into a mood episode. The earlier he knows, the earlier he can do something to react.

#14 llama44

llama44

llama-licious

• Pip
  • 1146 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:01 PM

Ok so I am out of the crisis bed center and stiiiiiiill manic! You guys are right though. It has to work for mania too. Right? The hot new thing is just for bp depression. That is where the money must be. So many things are approved for bp mania and sz. Not much at all is approved for bp depression. So that has got to be it. I just need to give it more time.

Good luck everyone else on it!!! Who knows?! Maybe we all just need a dose increase. Lol you never know!

#15 netsavy006

netsavy006

I'm Andy

• Pip
  • 2152 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:41 PM

They make 40mg and 80mg tablets and according to the PI sheet you can go as high as 80mg. Higher doses warrant increased side effects. I wish you the best. :)

Edited by netsavy006, 08 March 2011 - 08:42 PM.

- Andy -
Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg QID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Propranolol 10mg TID + Centrum + Fish Oil

#16 llama44

llama44

llama-licious

• Pip
  • 1146 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for the info!!! Yeah. I think my pdoc will want to go up to 80. I see him in 1.5 weeks now.

#17 Stars

Stars

• Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:46 PM

I tried it . I got very manic, very quick. My doc calls it La de da , b/c it is hard to pronounce. Abilify did the same thing to me, but it took 2 weeks to do it. This drug took 2 days.
We are trying Fanapt again but I already feel the dystonia in my upper back. It is not going to work without some other add on drugs. I am so depressed about this.I am non stop talking to myself . I am going over things that happened between 1979- 2002. I see really stuck in the 80's. I would just love a OFF button.

Edited by Stars, 09 March 2011 - 11:51 PM.

#18 llama44

llama44

llama-licious

• Pip
  • 1146 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:44 AM

Oh I'm sorry stars. I wish I had an off button too.

#19 helenllama

helenllama

Alba gu Brath

• Pip
  • 498 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:25 PM

intresting fact: there are no published studies involving the use of Latuda in bipolar published. Either Mania or Depression. All the other atypicals do.
the dr's are running blind on this one.

#20 llama44

llama44

llama-licious

• Pip
  • 1146 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:45 AM

Omg I knew it!!!!!! So this med is worthless for people with BP or BP SZA? Basically?

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.