• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#41 OreoKitty

OreoKitty

The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground

• Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:06 AM

I've been on Latuda for 10 days. I was having a mixed episode and not sleeping. I was on 40mg for 2 days. It didn't make me sleepy at all. Then I ran into my pdoc when I was getting bloodwork done. He increased it to 80mg a day. I take it with dinner. It does not knock me out. I am feeling MUCH better and sleeping WELL.

I am a fan of Latuda so far. And it doesn't make me hungry like seroquel does. Fingers crossed!

Oreo :)

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

DX: Bipolar I, hypothyroidism, PCOS, and food & various other issues and behaviors that fit into many forums
RX: Lithium 1200mg, Effexor 75mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, Latuda 80mg, Nuvigil 75mg, Valium PRN, Relpax, Synthroid 200mcg, Vitamins & Minerals
Past RX: ablilify, geodon, risperdal, neurontin, celexa, prozac, topomax, lamictal, seroquel, pristiq, valproic acid, tegretol, saphris, and others I cannot remember
Sober since 1992

Posted Image
...SPIRITUAL MUTT...

#42 llama44

llama44

llama-licious

• Pip
  • 1146 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:22 AM

I have been on latuda now for a month. I am now on 80mg. I find that the 80mg is more helpful than the 40mg. I am now in the state hospital, however and unfortunately. They didn't carry it here even yet. I had to go without it for 2 days while they were trying to get it in.
Diagnoses: Schizoaffective Bipolar Type ("Significant, Severe, Chronic, and Clear Cut"), Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Anorexia (in remission; dx in early teen years), OCD (dx in early teen years)

Current Meds: 600mg Seroquel, 30mg Abilify, 100mg Trazodone, 200mg Lamictal, 300mg Effexor XR, 3mg Klonopin.

Some days are better than others, but I do what I can.

How I'm doing now: I am down and am suicidal. I want to stay in bed forever. I never want to leave the apartment. The voices have been really bothering me. They also put thoughts in my head that aren't mine. They do this to torture me constantly. It is never silent.

#43 koali777

koali777

• Pip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:46 AM

I have been on latuda now for a month. I am now on 80mg. I find that the 80mg is more helpful than the 40mg. I am now in the state hospital, however and unfortunately. They didn't carry it here even yet. I had to go without it for 2 days while they were trying to get it in.

This is so off topic, but I didn't know you could get on the computer in the state hospital. That's kind of cool. Of course, I've never been in a state hospital, just the smaller ones.

Diagnoses: Bipolar with psychotic features; juvenile diabetes; macular edema (due to over 2 decades of diabetes)

Current meds: Adderall- 10 mg twice daily; Wellbutrin SR- 150 mg twice daily; Latuda- 120 mg; Vistaril- 50 mg PRN; Trileptal- 300 mg twice daily; insulin pump; birth control

Past antidepressants: Celexa, Zoloft, Lexapro, Anafranil, Nortriptyline, Wellbutrin XL, Pristiq

Past antipsychotics: Geodon, Abilify, Seroquel, Risperdal, Saphris

Past mood stabilizers: Lithium, Tegretol

Past ADD meds: Vyvanse, Strattera, Adderall XR

Past sleep meds: Ambien, Rozerem, Restoril, Benadryl, Trazodone

Past anti-anxiety meds: Klonopin

Past misc. meds: Cogentin, various types of insulin

#44 Danni1230

Danni1230

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:11 PM

Hi, this is my first post. I saw my pdoc today and she recommended trying Latuda if my symptoms don't improve by my next appt. I am Bipolar II and I'm currently taking: Lamictal 400mg, Seroquel XR 150mg, and Wellbutrin SR 300mg. Ever since I started the Seroquel I've had little to no hypomania, but my depression continues to be a constant problem. For me the only positive thing about this illness is the hypomania, so now I'm stuck with just the depression.

My pdoc seems to think atypical antipsychotics are my best bet. I've tried Abilify in the past and I experienced what some others are experiencing on the Lutuda. Within two days of taking it I reached full blown mania, something I had not ever experienced.

I can't up my dose of the Seroquel because when I have in the past I've experienced weight gain. I've struggled with an eating disorder since I was 16, so it's really hard for me to feel comfortable taking a medication that causes weight gain. I'm leaning towards Lutuda because it does seem to be more weight neutral.

I know that for many of you, your problem resides with mania, but does anyone have any suggestions on medications that really helped with depression? Is anyone seeing an improvement in their depression from taking Latuda?

Dx: Bipolar II (Rapid Cycling) & Binge Eating Disorder
Rx: Topamax 100mg (2x Daily), Abilify 20mg, Cymbalta 60mg, Concerta 54mg
Past Rx: Seroquel, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Zoloft

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged
by the way its animals are treated
." -Mahatma Gandhi

#45 OreoKitty

OreoKitty

• Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:17 PM

My depression feels better with the Latuda but my pdoc & tdoc told me I'm manic today. I'm keeping on the Latuda for now, dropping my Effexor to 75mg & Nuvigil to either 75mg or none. I'm hoping it is not the Latuda adding to my mania. I feel so much better than the past 2-3 months of depression.

Oreo

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

DX: Bipolar I, hypothyroidism, PCOS, and food & various other issues and behaviors that fit into many forums
RX: Lithium 1200mg, Effexor 75mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, Latuda 80mg, Nuvigil 75mg, Valium PRN, Relpax, Synthroid 200mcg, Vitamins & Minerals
Past RX: ablilify, geodon, risperdal, neurontin, celexa, prozac, topomax, lamictal, seroquel, pristiq, valproic acid, tegretol, saphris, and others I cannot remember
Sober since 1992

Posted Image
...SPIRITUAL MUTT...

#46 Danni1230

Danni1230

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:51 PM

My depression feels better with the Latuda but my pdoc & tdoc told me I'm manic today. I'm keeping on the Latuda for now, dropping my Effexor to 75mg & Nuvigil to either 75mg or none. I'm hoping it is not the Latuda adding to my mania. I feel so much better than the past 2-3 months of depression.

Oreo

Thanks for the info!I hope the Lutuda works for you! I know how good it feels to get a little mania after a long depression. I am going on month 3 of the depression I'm in. I'm normally a rapid cycler so I don't have depressive periods for longer than a couple weeks tops. This one seems like it's never going to end. I had read about Nuvigil being used off the label for depression, my pdoc isn't crazy about using drugs off label, so i never brought it up to her. Has Nuvigil helped with you depression any?

." -Mahatma Gandhi

#47 OreoKitty

OreoKitty

• Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:08 PM

Thanks for the info!I hope the Lutuda works for you! I know how good it feels to get a little mania after a long depression. I am going on month 3 of the depression I'm in. I'm normally a rapid cycler so I don't have depressive periods for longer than a couple weeks tops. This one seems like it's never going to end. I had read about Nuvigil being used off the label for depression, my pdoc isn't crazy about using drugs off label, so i never brought it up to her. Has Nuvigil helped with you depression any?

The Nuvigil (in the past Provigil) helps pull me out of the depression. But it can activate my mania so it is one of the last meds I take for a severe depression and one of the first meds I drop when I start going up. It really has been a life saver at times.

Oreo

Sober since 1992

Posted Image
...SPIRITUAL MUTT...

#48 Danni1230

Danni1230

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:21 PM

Interesting. I'll definitely talk with my pdoc about it. I would love to have something to give me a little push out of the dark hole I'm in.

." -Mahatma Gandhi

#49 llama44

llama44

llama-licious

• Pip
  • 1146 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:01 PM

This is so off topic, but I didn't know you could get on the computer in the state hospital. That's kind of cool. Of course, I've never been in a state hospital, just the smaller ones.

Yeah, they have a library. It's like a campus really. lol

And I have been less manic on 80mg of latuda. But I also started lithium so it's hard to tell if the lithium is working or if it's the latuda or both!!
Diagnoses: Schizoaffective Bipolar Type ("Significant, Severe, Chronic, and Clear Cut"), Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Anorexia (in remission; dx in early teen years), OCD (dx in early teen years)

Current Meds: 600mg Seroquel, 30mg Abilify, 100mg Trazodone, 200mg Lamictal, 300mg Effexor XR, 3mg Klonopin.

How I'm doing now: I am down and am suicidal. I want to stay in bed forever. I never want to leave the apartment. The voices have been really bothering me. They also put thoughts in my head that aren't mine. They do this to torture me constantly. It is never silent.

#50 Imlosingit

Imlosingit

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:54 PM

I experience rapid cycling. My mania is extreme irritability instead grandiose feeligs. I experienced 4 manic expisodes last year but have never been hospitalized thank God. My psych usually tells me to take xanex 3 times a day and ambien at night to knock me out until my body catches up on sleep which I go as log as 1 week with out any sleep. I when first diagnosed they put me on lamictal, xanex (been taking since I was 19 for panic attacks) and zoloft. Saphtis was then introduced Ito the mix and it completely knocked me out. I couldn't even wake up for y daughter's 1st birthday party. Has anyone experienced that with saphris?

Anyway, I've been reading about everyone taking Antidepressants for their depression but I've found antideppressants flip me which ice read is common in people with bipolar. I was then diagnose wit ADD and put on Adderall 40mg a day. I feel it works well for my concentration but my psych thinks it makes me more irritable so he took me off of it. This is now my third doctor and I love him. Lamictal has sone absolutely nothing for me and I'm on 400mg a day along with klonipin (sp???). The klonpan is the only thing that calms me and that's not even enough. I am currently coming off a manic episode, the worst I've ever had. Psyc says I was heading into a psychotic episode which he wanted to hospitalize at that I
e buty body f ally shut down after 3 weeks of only 1 hour of sleep a day and that's because my husband would literally drag me to bed. I slept for 3 days last weekend and I'm finally in what we believe is my normal hypomanic self which after 2 years is the best I get. I was just out on Latuda and was told to start it this weekend to see how my body reacted to the sedation. Lamictal obviously wasn't working. I'm so nervous to start it after reading everyones experiece. Psych said he's put 10 bipolar patients on it and has only had to increase to 80mg with one patient and so far it's help all patients. He even said one patient as he put it "lost a crap load of weight". He told me to take it 40 minutes before bed and to eat something with it like yogurt. He wants me to get at least 5.5 hours of sleep a night t get me stable which I can remember the last time I slept that long besides my crashes. I take klonipin twice a day and now take qmbuen to help me sleep. Yeah try telling a man personcto take ambien when it feels so good not to sleep and ackomplish so much. It's 1:52am and I've noticed how longvtbis post is..lol.

#51 Imlosingit

Imlosingit

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:00 AM

Sorry for the length of my post and my poor grammar..I'm writing from my cell and obviously not proof reading and repeat myself I see. Cell phone isn't letting me edit without clearing entire post so I write this instead.

Anyone who actually read the whole thing...any advice or good med experience with irritable manic episodes???

To all I hope latuda eventually works and I hope it works for me. My anger is unbearable and makes me want to drive off a bridge!!!!

Edited by Imlosingit, 21 April 2011 - 12:13 AM.

#52 llama44

llama44

llama-licious

• Pip
  • 1146 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:32 PM

Just an FYI latuda needs to be taken with 350 calories, so maybe take it with dinner or a very large snack.

#53 fragileme

fragileme

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:13 PM

I've been on Latuda a little over 5 weeks now. I started on 40mg for the first two weeks and then my dose was increased to 80mg.

I have had few to no side-effects since being on it. The major things I have noticed are insomnia and (thankfully) weight loss, unlike most other APs and AAPs (over the past 9 years I've been on just about all of them) that have caused heavy sedation and weight gain.

I believe the antipsychotic I had the best results in regards to decreased symptoms was Clozaril, however, I also gained over 60lbs in just over 2 months. Being that I struggle with an eating disorder, this was not easy for me to deal with and I was adamant about being taken off it (if my psych refused to I was going to go off it myself). Many other APs/AAPs have also caused weight gain, though not as extreme as the Clozaril, but I also refuse to take them. I struggle enough with my eating & weight, that I will not be on a medication that increases either.

I am also currently on Geodon in combination with the Latuda, but am being weened off of it. However, it's hard for me to know just how much the Latuda is working while also being on the Geodon. Though even as my Geodon dose has been decreased, I've still been having a good response to the Latuda.

However, recently, my pdoc advised me to stop all other psych meds and only remain on the Latuda. I haven't done this yet because it makes me very weary. Over the past 9 years, I've had to be on a med cocktail to have any significant results. I normally do not experience desired effects until the dosages are high and multiple meds are necessary for stability. Even having been on many medications, I've still spent the past 9 years in treatment and in/out of the hospital continuously. Unfortunately, meds tend to work for me for a short period of time, but after a few months tend to stop working which causes me to hit bottom and end up needing to be hospitalized again. I want more than anything to remain out of the hospital this time around (my last hospitalization was for 3 weeks in May). While I have always trusted my pdoc in the past, I am not so certain of his request this time (in wanting me to stop all but the Latuda). I tried expressing my concerns to him when I saw him last a week ago, but he didn't seem to actually be hearing me. I know I'm not an easy client to deal with, especially with my relatively constant instability, but I also don't want to just be shrugged off as someone who has no chance of getting better.

Also, I know Latuda is supposed to be taken with food, but I take it every night before bed. Geodon is also supposed to be taken with food, but almost the entire duration I've been on it this time around (approximately 2 years), I've taken it before bed/hardly ever with food, and it has worked okay for me.

So... those of you who're on Latuda, now that you've been on it awhile, what are your experiences with it like now?
Diagnoses: Major Depression with Psychotic Features (previously Schizoaffective Disorder), Complex PTSD, Dissociative Disorder NOS, Bulimia Nervosa (previously Anorexia Nervosa), Borderline Personality Disorder

Current Meds: 200mg Zoloft, 80mg Latuda, 80mg Geodon, 45mg Remeron, 300mg Trazodone

#54 loonytunes

loonytunes

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:34 PM

I just started taking it today and I've been looking it up and it has a bunch of info about schizophrania which is not my diagnosis I'm very confused and the website was notvery helpful!!!!:wall:

#55 fragileme

fragileme

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:42 PM

My diagnosis is not Schizophrenia either. I believe that because it is an antipsychotic that all initial trials/studies are being done on Schizophrenia. I'm sure that in time it will be studied for other diagnoses. However, psychiatrists often prescribe antipsychotic's for other disorders, so it doesn't shock me that they are doing this with Latuda as well. I do wish there was more research being done, but it is quite new, so I'd give it some time.
Diagnoses: Major Depression with Psychotic Features (previously Schizoaffective Disorder), Complex PTSD, Dissociative Disorder NOS, Bulimia Nervosa (previously Anorexia Nervosa), Borderline Personality Disorder

Current Meds: 200mg Zoloft, 80mg Latuda, 80mg Geodon, 45mg Remeron, 300mg Trazodone

#56 teeluvsaruba

teeluvsaruba

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:58 PM

I just started 20 mg of Latuda today. My pdoc wants me to start off that way and then up to 40 mg after a week. I alreadu feel restless and still feel aggitated so i'm not sure how well upping the doseage is going to be for me.
I guess time will tell. I'll keep ya posted. BTW I'm new here and take a bunch of other drugs too. Topomax, cymbalta, lamictal, klonpin, wellbutrin xl, dycyclomine, restoril, protonix and latuda.

#57 AnneMarie

AnneMarie

• Pip
  • 4644 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:50 PM

I started taking 20mg of Latuda a few weeks ago when I started tapering off of Risperdal. It's now been a couple days off Risperdal. Still no problems and I'm off Risperdal without problems. !

There is a study on bipolar depression underway. According to my pdoc, initial indications are good. The study has a ways to go, so in the end, who knows.

ETA: Oh yeah, I'm taking it for bipolar, not schiz

Edited by Stacia, 16 August 2011 - 10:51 PM.

Bipolar I and ADD

#58 llama44

llama44

llama-licious

• Pip
  • 1146 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:44 PM

I finally had to get off of it. It just wasn't working for me. I was on it for 2+ months. It was very activating for me. Less so at 80mg, however. So I had to go back to my good ol' standby...zyprexa zydis. Oh well. I was really hoping it would have worked too because I was beginning to lose some weight on it.

#59 Night in Juniper

Night in Juniper

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:34 AM

I'm on Latuda 40mg QHS currently. I started a bit over a week ago. I've not had the terrible side effects like I had with Abilify. Geodon was helpful, but I had some tremors for a while on top of excess sedation, so it wasn't optimal.

My pdoc went straight for Latuda at this visit, saying it is off-label for Bipolar, so helps with mood and also sleep, and in his patient experience so far, it has actually caused some weight loss.

I've not had any major side effects, but I did spend several days feeling a bit more emotional. It wasn't an overwhelming kind of emotional, or even bad. It was just a little weepy. Anyway, I am currently able to sleep pretty well and I feel a bit more clarity and a bit less of the racing thinking. I've wondered if switching up to 80mg might be even more helpful, we will see.

Anyway, the price of this medication is a major factor. I hear that most insurances require pre-authorization, then a high-copay. Mine doesn't require a PA, but my co-pay per month is $70. That's higher than I've paid for a psych med before. I am looking at $140 every 3 months through mail order if I use this as maintenance. I've never considered mail order before. That's how expensive I feel that it is. But if it works, it works. We shall see.

I appreciate this thread being up! It's been helpful to read others' experiences with Latuda thus far. I'm planning on continuing the med at this point.

dx: Anxiety Disorder NOSBipolar II mixed with psychosis, OCD, PTSD
rx: Clonazepam 1mg TIDLamotrigine 200 mg BID, Seroquel XR 400mg QHS, Trazodone, 100-200 QHS

~Anything but Abilify!~

I don't know how much of this was him and how much is just my chemistry...

#60 savethewhitemale

savethewhitemale

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:27 AM

Thanks for the link Andy! I will check out their website! I didn't even think to do that lol.

In my experience Latuda may be a good choice. It should work better than saphris and there should not be much of an issue with weight gain. The reason for this is in the receptor binding profile. Medications that block histamine receptors tend to cause more weight gain and Latuda has no affinity for this receptor. Now I am not saying it wont happen but there is less of a chance than any other med out there.
As to why would a doctor try a new med instead of a tried and true there really arent any tried and true. In this class of medication it is a lot of trial and error and there is the constant balancing of efficacy and safety. From what I have read may be Latuda will give a better balance between the two. It should be efficacious since it has a high D2 affinity. Let me know how you are doing.

Good LuckPosted Image

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.