Breakthrough Manias

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 klingon001

klingon001

• Pip
  • 889 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:56 AM

Edited by klingon001, 12 April 2014 - 09:28 AM.

#2 Will

Will

• Pip
  • 905 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:56 PM

So, I had typed a response and then lost it by veering off to check your profile. Computer science is a good field, I would think. Anything is a good field at your age, I would think, as long as you love it.

Anyway, what I want to say is that you seem more self-aware than I have been, perhaps because of your rapid cycling. If I get a year or so out from my last episode, I tend to forget how careful I need to be. I should have been well aware that lithium was no longer working well for me because of the last 3 episodes, which were bad ones. (But I had a 30 year history of taking lithium so your situation is different from mine and I wouldn't draw any conclusions from my anecdotal experience with it.)

So definitely check with your pdoc and share your concerns. Also, I am becoming increasingly aware that some form of therapy is probably a good adjunct to the meds for me personally.

I don't know geodon but I sometimes feel that Seroquel is not working for me, so we share some commonality there.

These are just my thoughts, and I do wish you well. Take care.

BP 1

#3 llama44

llama44

llama-licious

• Pip
  • 1146 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:03 PM

Hey. I am not sure how to answer your question sorry. I do think that for certain people breakthrough sx are inevitable. But that doesn't mean it has to be that way for you! Call your pdoc. From my understanding there are better mood stabilizers for rapid cycling. Like depakote I think. But don't quote me on that one. I hope others will chime in to confirm or deny this. It's worth asking your pdoc about. Does he or she know you have been rapid cycling? Worth a phone call at least. Good luck and keep us posted.
Diagnoses: Schizoaffective Bipolar Type ("Significant, Severe, Chronic, and Clear Cut"), Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Anorexia (in remission; dx in early teen years), OCD (dx in early teen years)

Current Meds: 600mg Seroquel, 30mg Abilify, 100mg Trazodone, 200mg Lamictal, 300mg Effexor XR, 3mg Klonopin.

Some days are better than others, but I do what I can.

How I'm doing now: I am down and am suicidal. I want to stay in bed forever. I never want to leave the apartment. The voices have been really bothering me. They also put thoughts in my head that aren't mine. They do this to torture me constantly. It is never silent.

#4 sylvan

sylvan

Pill Party

• Admin
  • 4259 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:48 PM

IMHO, I don't think breakthrough mania/hypomania is inevitable if you are on the correct medication. It took me years to find the correct combination. Now that I've got them, I don't seem to have breakthrough mania or depression, so long as I stay on the meds. If I miss a few days in a row, all bets are off, but that's my fault entirely.

It has been a year since one of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing passed away. He was strong, intelligent, caring, and honest. I had the honor of calling him Daddy. I will miss both my parents for as long as I live. I hope that I can be even half as good of a spouse, parent, and friend as the two of them were. Life is now forever changed for me. It will never be like it was. That doesn't mean it will all be bad, it will just be different.

#5 iLove

iLove

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:09 PM

Have you had it ever since being on the Geodon? Geodon made me manic as if I weren't on a single mood stabilizer, skipping meals and not sleeping. It was way too activating. Grrr.... Also, what about the Prozac causing rapid cycling? My pdoc took me off Pristiq because I was cycling weekly and added Lamictal instead. I haven't been cycling since. That's my two cents. :-D
Bipolar I, Agoraphobia with Panic Disorder & ADD on Geodon, Zonegran, Adderall, Lamictal & Intuniv
Past Dx: OCD, MDD, GAD, Social Phobia, Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, UARS
Past Rx: Effexor XR, Zoloft, Lexapro, Wellbutrin XL, Concerta, Adderall XR, Tegretol, Lamictal, Prozac, Cymbalta, Neurontin, Klonopin, Xanax, Valium, Pristiq, Abilify

#6 SashaSue

SashaSue

Vulpes Bipolaris

• Pip
  • 4565 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

Do you know what your lithium level is? It's entirely possible that you just need a higher dosage.
Dx: Bipolar I, ADHD<br />
Rx: Seroquel, 800mg, Lamictal, 150mg, Effexor, 325mg, Wellbutrin, 450, Dexedrine ER, 60mg

#7 BellaDonnaGypsy

BellaDonnaGypsy

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:15 PM

I am on 900mg of lithium, too, and still cycle pretty strongly.

I've been on a lot of different antidepressants, mood-stabilizers & anti-psychotics, including Lamictal, Depakote, Prozac, Effexor, Abilify & Zyprexa, and never had the great "AHA" moment that I hear people describe when they've reached the perfect med combo.

Starting to think I'm med resistant. ECT was suggested to me, but I'm way too oogie about it to give it a go just yet.

Anyhoo, no, I don't think full-blown mania (or depression) is inevitable with the right med combo.

I may not have found it yet, but I still have hope!

❝I sometimes ask myself, did I speak my mind or shut my mouth? Was I a follower, a leader, insignificant? Mere shadow of a ghost bearing innocence?❞ [Last Things -KMFDM]

★ ☆ ✮

Much Love & Posi Vibes...

✗ Jacki ✗

★ ☆ ✮

Dx: BPI, Borderline PD, Schizotypal PD, PTSD, Anxiety, Insomnia
Rx: Lithium 900mg, Remeron 30mg

#8 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:37 PM

I don't have breakthrough episodes, I just flat out have episodes. The last one was serious enough (apparently, I still don't get it) where my pdoc's office called the police and I was handcuffed and carted away in front of my 9 year old daughter. In her school parking lot in front of LOTS of people. And my last amped-up mixed state just lead to an max dose of lithium and and increase in my AD. Not what I thought I needed since I'm taking a TCA for migraine prevention (that ain't working either).

After years of this medicine merry-go-round, I just am used to a med tweak or change every time I have a mood episode.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#9 crazynotstupid

crazynotstupid

S'up yo

• Inmate
  • 2430 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:08 PM

Life events can certainly lead to breakthrough episodes. It may be that you're just not yet on the right dose of lithium or, as a rapid cycler, you either need to add something else or switch out the lithium to something else, or switch out the geodon...heh. As you can see, it gets complicated. You may need to try a variety of med combinations to find out what smooths you through.

Breakthrough symptoms are, imo, not necessarily inevitable, though seasonable fluxes are to be expexted and as I said, big events can pop the cork. Watch for these, call the pdoc, and handle accordingly.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep
And miles to go before I sleep.
-Robert Frost

#10 scatty

scatty

The only way out is through.

• Pip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:02 PM

My pdoc tells me I will always have some breakthrough symptoms. Meds can be adjusted, but I don't strive for perfection. I'd just settle for being functional most days.

Dx:
Bipolar I & Anxiety.  Self diagnosed cunt.

My New (old) Meds: (previously these kept me the most stable)
Lithium ER 1350 mgs.
Lamictal 200 mgs.

Klonopin 2 mgs.

Practicing CBT, DBT, and ACT self-help therapy.

Crazy since the 80's!

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.