Photo
- - - - -

Your approx. cost per day as a psychiatric ward inpatient?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 y58

y58

Occupant

• Pip
  • 808 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:36 AM

I read that eventually practically everyone with SZ or SZA spends some time in a psych ward. I haven't yet, and I am wondering how much it costs, out of pocket. (I understand it will vary depending on where you live, what type of insurance plan you have, and what type of ward it is (intensive psych care, locked/unlocked), etc. Those who have been there or who know, can you give a rough idea how much it cost you per day?

Depression, social anxiety. Ambien 10 PRN. Old diagnoses: schizophrenia, schizoid personality disorder.

Old: Clozaril, Abilify, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Temazepam, Ritalin, Geodon, Effexor, Remeron, Latuda

#2 Thomas

Thomas

• Pip
  • 2051 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:46 AM

I have been hospitalized 8 times and with my previous insurance, I paid nothing out-of-pocket if I was admitted. My current insurance (they decided to get rid of the better insurance at work), I pay $400 the first day after fulfilling my deductible, then I just pay $100 a day. Without insurance, the hospital I go to (locked ward) runs about $2000 a day. Of course insurance and medical costs vary all over the place.

Tommy

edited to correct some spelling errors

Edited by Her Tommy, 26 March 2011 - 11:47 AM.

Dx:BP1, OCD, Diabetetes Type 2, Hypertension, Gastroparesis & kidney stones
Rx: Abilify 20 mg., Klonopin 6.0 mg., Restoril 30 mg. Cymbalta 120 mg. , Lamictal 400 mg., Cogentin 1.5 mg. Crestor 10 mg. hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg., Hyzaar 100/25 mg., domperidone 20 mg. and Levemir Insulin 40 units, Actos 45 mg.,Proprananol ER 80 mg., Hydrocodone/APAP 40 mg./4000 mg., tizanidine 1 mg., Fiorocet 3 mg.

#3 NewMe

NewMe

Neurotics build castles in the air, psychotics live in them, psychiatrists collect the rent

• Pip
  • 398 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

this was 9 yrs ago but it was a locked ward and treatment alone was 700 then there was food, house keeping and meds, 72hrs came out to about 1400 bucks

I used to be "normal", but then I got better!

Insanity is a perfectly rational response to an insane world.

th_images28.jpg I may be able to get out of this hole

#4 The Emperor

The Emperor

Is there a hole for me to get sick in?

• Pip
  • 3728 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:49 PM

When I was admitted in November, I spent three nights and three days there and the total came to around $6000. That's what it would have been out of pocket, but my insurance covered it at the time. So about $2000 a day.

What the docs wrote down about my Crazy: Bipolar II, Some anxiety issue
The pills they give me to fix this shit: Lamictal 175mg, clonazepam 1mg , Trileptal 600mg
Pills that did NOT fix this shit: Sertraline, Buspirone, Mirtazipine, Paroxetine, Gabapentin, Effexor XR, Lorazepam, Cymbalta(twice), Zolpidem, Bupropion XL, Pristiq, Fluoxetine, Vistaril, Lexapro, Celexa, Trazodone, Geodon

Pills that worked well enough but side effects were total shit so I stopped: Abilify, Lithium, valium

sun moon stars rain

#5 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:31 AM

I spent a week in the hospital in 2007, and once again in 2008. I only paid a copay, but I believe each of the visits came to about $4000.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#6 LynnK

LynnK

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:47 AM

this was 9 yrs ago but it was a locked ward and treatment alone was 700 then there was food, house keeping and meds, 72hrs came out to about 1400 bucks

Does anyone know whether the patient is responsible for the hospital fees if they're kept for a 72-hour observation involuntarily? It doesn't quite seem fair to have to be held against your will and then have to pay for it to boot. Not that life is fair... just curious.
Dx: recurrent depression
Rx: Parnate, Lamictal

#7 humanoid

humanoid

serial killer heart under sweet girl veneer

• Pip
  • 1006 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:50 AM

For me, a week in the hospital cost around $4000 but copay was around $1300, somewhere in that range.

* * * * i've always taken up too much space

dxBP I (rapid cycling) w/ psychosis, Borderline Personality Disorder,
Social Anxiety Disorder, Trichotillomania, Bulimia (non-purging type)

rx: nopenopenope

(see profile for more details)

#8 rowen

rowen

Bringin' Sexy Back

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1932 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

$500 dollars extra without prior authorization. $100 dollar per day copay, maximum 26 days covered.
I have been every flavor of Bipolar, and have now come back to Mood Disorder NOS. Heh. Also, OCD and working on AvPD
Old issues: ED NOS
Meds - Lamictal 200mg, Effexor XR 150mg, lithium 900 mg, trazodone PRN, Ativan PRN
Old meds - Lexapro, Remeron, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta/Seroquel, Abilify, Geodon/Ambien, Lunesta, Sonata/Klonopin

May all beings be free from all pain and suffering.

I am not a doctor. Keep that in mind.

#9 december_brigette

december_brigette

• Pip
  • 2634 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:58 PM

Does anyone know whether the patient is responsible for the hospital fees if they're kept for a 72-hour observation involuntarily? It doesn't quite seem fair to have to be held against your will and then have to pay for it to boot. Not that life is fair... just curious.

Based on 2 relatives that had this experience (at different hospitals with different insurances), Yes you do have to pay.

db

dx: bipolar 1, anxiety, and a little ptsd

current meds:
cymbalta 90mgs
depakote 1500 mg
prazosin 1 mg
seroquel 50 mg

topamax 50mg
xanax 2.50 mg

other meds ive tried: abilify, ambien, effexor xr, lamictal, lexapro, lithium, lunesta, paxil, provigil, tegretol, trazodone, wellbutrin, zoloft.

"I mixed Benadryl and Tegretol one time. Spent three days guessing weight at the Iowa State Fair. Got crabs, and a tattoo, of a crab," Andy on "weeds."

"Psychiatry is just this year's candy pink stove." from the tv show Madmen.

#10 llama44

llama44

llama-licious

• Pip
  • 1146 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 03:16 PM

The state hospital that I'm at is around $500 a day I believe. It's c heaper because it's a state hospital. My medicare doesn't cover it but my other insurance does. So I'm not sure of the bill after insurance. But I don't really pay on this bill because of my low income. But I do owe the state hospital around $80,000 to $90,000 by now.

The private hospital that I stayed at in my community I owe $35,000 because I stayed there for over 21 days which is the limit for medicaid. But I am working on an application that may take care of all or at least part of that bill.

Being crazy ain't cheap.
Diagnoses: Schizoaffective Bipolar Type ("Significant, Severe, Chronic, and Clear Cut"), Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Anorexia (in remission; dx in early teen years), OCD (dx in early teen years)

Current Meds: 600mg Seroquel, 30mg Abilify, 100mg Trazodone, 200mg Lamictal, 300mg Effexor XR, 3mg Klonopin.

Some days are better than others, but I do what I can.

How I'm doing now: I am down and am suicidal. I want to stay in bed forever. I never want to leave the apartment. The voices have been really bothering me. They also put thoughts in my head that aren't mine. They do this to torture me constantly. It is never silent.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.