Methylphenidate dose vs amphetamine salts dose

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ahalo

ahalo

• Pip
  • 587 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:04 AM

Are they comparable? I was on 20 mg amphetamine salts 3x a day and i was switched to 10 mg methylphenidate 3x a day. It does not seem as effective. Is 10 mg methylphenidate similar to 20 mg amphetamine salts or could my pdoc be starting out slow and ramping me up? Or is methylphenidate just not as good? Thanks!

----0.jpg We don't benefit from ignorance. -Obama, 1/16/13

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry. ~Ernest Hemingy, A Farewell To Arms

#2 SashaSue

SashaSue

Vulpes Bipolaris

• Pip
  • 4565 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:55 AM

I don't know that it's possible to work out dosage equivalences like that. But most people seem to find that one stimulant works better for them than others do. Why did you switch to ritalin?
Dx: Bipolar I, ADHD<br />
Rx: Seroquel, 800mg, Lamictal, 150mg, Effexor, 325mg, Wellbutrin, 450, Dexedrine ER, 60mg

#3 jt07

jt07

Existing on the very edge of sanity

• Inmate
  • 7716 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:39 PM

Amphetamine and Ritalin are reallly two different animals with different mechanisms of action. I found that my system was "driven" too much by amphetamine, but Ritalin is much gentler. However, I don't think Ritalin is doing much for me.

Dx: Atypical MDD with anxiety, possible ADD, OCD (mostly recovered)
Rx: Citalopram (20 mg), Remeron (45 mg), Abilify (30 mg), Carbamazepine (800 mg), Lamotrigine (200 mg), Ritalin (20 mg AM, 10 mg PM)

горький осадок, но сахара не надо

#4 ahalo

ahalo

• Pip
  • 587 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:49 PM

I don't know that it's possible to work out dosage equivalences like that. But most people seem to find that one stimulant works better for them than others do. Why did you switch to ritalin?

i switched due to cost. Im going to ask for an increase i guess. And just hope. Adderall month supply 115$ ritalin month supply 8$

----0.jpg We don't benefit from ignorance. -Obama, 1/16/13

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry. ~Ernest Hemingy, A Farewell To Arms

#5 Aurochs

Aurochs

I've got a lot on my mind and a lot of gun in my hand.

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 838 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:57 PM

There are no "equivalencies." The two drugs work in different ways. When switching, you will need to make adjustments to find the dose that works for you, assuming it's a good drug for you.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." --Carl Sagan

#6 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13115 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:03 PM

Actually there's a pretty strict equivalence. According to several books I've read and my personal experience, methylphenidate = 2(Amphetamine), so 15 mgs dexidrine is the same as 30 mgs methylphenidate. Where the difference lies is in how different sustained release formulatations dose them.

It was in one of the Hallowell and Ratey books.

You may still react better to one than the other though, and amphetamine tends to be a bit longer lasting so you'll need to take more doses per day of methylphenidate with more peaks and valleys between doses.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#7 Aurochs

Aurochs

I've got a lot on my mind and a lot of gun in my hand.

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 838 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:09 PM

Actually there's a pretty strict equivalence. According to several books I've read and my personal experience, methylphenidate = 2(Amphetamine), so 15 mgs dexidrine is the same as 30 mgs methylphenidate. Where the difference lies is in how different sustained release formulatations dose them.

Faraone et. al. conducted a meta-analysis that seems to confirm this. They included two head-to-head comparisons of immediate-release methylphenidate and Adderall (see Table 1; studies by Manos and Pliszka). Both used the best dose as the target, and in both cases, the average dose for methylphenidate was about twice as much as the average dose for amphetamine. However, this could easily be because methylphenidate is typically dosed twice a day, while Adderall is typically only dosed once a day. If this is the case, the two drugs are mg-to-mg comparable in their IR forms. You will probably still need dose adjustments, so this is only a rough guideline. And as VE said, your brain may like one better than the other.

Edited by Aurochs, 09 April 2011 - 06:09 PM.
typo

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." --Carl Sagan

#8 ImNotOk

ImNotOk

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:18 AM

I'm far from an expert, but my GP just switched me from methylin 10 mg twice a day to Adderall (generic) 20 mg twice a day yesterday.

I took 1 Adderall 20 mg at 5:30 pm and it was too much, but at 11 pm I felt mellow. I was yawning and felt sure that I'd be able to sleep. Not so--at 1:30 am I was still trying to sleep. It was strange...I felt relaxed, but yet I could feel and hear my heart beating in my ears (a bit too fast, though not racing) and my legs were quite restless. It wasn't thoughts that were keeping me awake, but just physical stuff. I had often taken the methylin 10 mg at 5:30 pm and had no problem sleeping whatsoever.

I'm not sure why he increased the dose of Adderall compared to the methylin. I told him that the original Rx of methylin 20 mg was too much to take at 1 time (palpitations, urge to bite lip, etc...) but only lasted 3.5 hours so I started breaking the tab and eventually found 10 mg twice per day a comfortable dose. I switched to Adderall because the methylin did not help me prioritize, organize, or do other administrative type skills. It only really helped with impulsiveness and had a horrible crash exactly 3.5 hours after taking it that lasted about an hour and a half. I also felt flat, sad, and unable to smile on the methylin--even on the 10 mg per day. But, it was better than nothing as the impulsiveness, constant desire to crawl into bed, mental fog (as long as I wasn't switching tasks) were greatly improved.

When I was on the methylin, it seemed to last exactly the same amount of time no matter what the dose!!! So, I've only had 1 dose of the Adderall, but that dose lasted much longer than the same dose of methylin.

So far, anecdotally, it would seem that the Adderall lasts longer. I'm going to break it in half today and compare 10 mg Adderall to my experience with 10 mg of methylin and see how it goes.

Good luck with your dosing titration :~)
Newly-diagnosed ADHD, inattentive-type
As of 4/20/11, day 2 of generic Adderall (made by Barr) 20 mg twice per day and working well.
Main problems:

Problems staying nice, patient with son
Acid-tongued, impulsive, interrupt people often
Mental fog, severe procrastination, slow, forgetful
Scatterbrained
Very sensitive to sounds
Sometimes don't want to be touched or be around people

Prev. Rx: Methylin 10 mg twice per day.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.