• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GrayEyes777

GrayEyes777

Stumbling along in life

• Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:21 AM

Okay, so I go through nearly 6 months of no period - it was WONDERFUL (heck, I'm 51 years old, been figuring this was going to happen eventually). Probably at my most stable.

Now this month, I get two periods! WTF???

First, I got one that lasted a week on April 4th and yesterday I got another one and this one appears to be a doozy! (I won't get into details, suffice it to say it's alot heavier than usual!).

I know, I *know* my gyn will say that he wants to put me on birth control pills to help regulate me. But that's what caused the whole depressive episode a year ago! I tried out some bc pills from my gyn, and within a week I was in the hospital, trying to get the idea of suicide out of my mind. Obviously, hormones and I don't play well together.....

Is this what my 50s is going to be like now? One extreme to the other extreme? As if I don't have enough crap to deal with from my brain.....what I really don't want is my ovaries to get in on the party.....

Just venting.... :)

Any great stories of women who have BTDT and made it out whole would be greatly appreciated!

Current rx: Prozac 40 mg, Xanax .25 or .5 mg PRN, Trazodone 150 mg for sleep
Past rx: Lexapro 20 mg (too inconsistent), Prozac (on for over 12 years - weaned off on my own), Seroquel 25-50 mg (hated it!!!)

#2 olga

olga

Life is better when you bring home a furry pal

• Inmate
  • 10523 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:41 AM

I don't have BTDT, and I'm not sure what that is, but I would resist the birth control pills. All of my friends went through wonky periods---months without one, and then they would have a couple. I guess it's not true menopause until you haven't had a period for a year.

There are other forms of hormones that you can take that aren't BC. I wonder why he wants you to take those, especially since you already know they make you nuts? Would it help if he talked to your pdoc? I wonder if he really understands the combination of mental illness, menopause, hormonal fluctuations and birth control pills.

I didn't go through this part of it because I had a hysterectomy, but I'm an expert on hot flashes! :lol:

Be of good cheer and don't let your doctor railroad you into anything that you're uncomfortable with.

olga

I'm bossy, opinionated, and over 60, so be prepared for advice if you post a question. However, I am not a medical professional, so please consult a doctor about your mental health issues and medications.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Do what you want. I don't have time to spend on people who are mentally ill and refuse treatment.

#3 GrayEyes777

GrayEyes777

Stumbling along in life

• Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:11 AM

I don't have BTDT, and I'm not sure what that is, but I would resist the birth control pills. All of my friends went through wonky periods---months without one, and then they would have a couple. I guess it's not true menopause until you haven't had a period for a year.

There are other forms of hormones that you can take that aren't BC. I wonder why he wants you to take those, especially since you already know they make you nuts? Would it help if he talked to your pdoc? I wonder if he really understands the combination of mental illness, menopause, hormonal fluctuations and birth control pills.

I didn't go through this part of it because I had a hysterectomy, but I'm an expert on hot flashes! :lol:

Be of good cheer and don't let your doctor railroad you into anything that you're uncomfortable with.

olga

You always make me smile....

"BTDT" = Been There, Done That

There is no way I will ever do birth control pills again, no matter what the doctor says. However, I will worry if I start bleeding too heavy - in my teens, I bled very heavy and ended up with anemia.

But I will do as you say - "be of good cheer" and all that! :)

Current rx: Prozac 40 mg, Xanax .25 or .5 mg PRN, Trazodone 150 mg for sleep
Past rx: Lexapro 20 mg (too inconsistent), Prozac (on for over 12 years - weaned off on my own), Seroquel 25-50 mg (hated it!!!)

#4 mammakanin

mammakanin

a disaster waiting to happen

• Pip
  • 215 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:21 AM

not btdt, but rather in the middle of it right now. my periods have always been a little irregular, but this is more than irregular. one month, nothing, the next super heavy, the next just barely spotting. and i can go 3 weeks or almost 3 months between them! (before it was about 27-36 days, irregular, but not THAT irregular if you know what i mean, and i could always count on the pms as a "warning") i've always had problems with pms and cramping, but now i can get pms and no period, period and no pms to warn me, pms for a month and a half (!! that wasn't a pretty month and a half), cramps that make me want to puke (haven't had those since i was a teen), cramps that last for the entire period, or no cramps at all. it really makes planning hard.

i'd stay away from bcp. i thought they weren't recommended for those over 40 or so because of the risk of stroke, anyhow? my dr. just tells me to ride it out. "you aren't the first, you won't be the last". yeah, easy for you to say, you're a guy and don't have to go through it. :P

"What to do, I find it hard to know
The road I walk is not the one i chose

--Yes

#5 water

water

that's as maybe

• Pip
  • 5229 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:25 AM

Is this what my 50s is going to be like now? One extreme to the other extreme?

Quite possibly. Many of my friends had very irregular periods as they were going through menopause. One every month, then none for months, then one extremely heavy one, and so on. Any variety you can think of probably has occurred.

My periods just got lighter and lighter. Then they would skip an occasional month or two. Then I would get a full fledged flow. Then skip 6 months. Then they kind of stopped altogether.

I totally agree with everyone else about the birth control pills. Don't take the hormones if you can. Your body is going through enough already without the extra added attractions.

┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄

aplenzin 522, lexapro 20, xanax 5 prn, valium 5 prn

Sensitive dependance on initial conditions
Small disturbances, big repercussions
We are all so vulnerable.

#6 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8760 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:36 AM

I had three periods in 6 weeks, and it has now been 7 weeks since the last one of those. Today, I got all crampy, and had a low grade menstrual migraine, and thought I was going to start it all day. Now, the cramps have stopped, and the headache is better, but as for a flow, nothing. Sometimes I'll have every symptom except the actual period.

That is why I *always* have my Diva cup with me. Except right now, because I can't remember what I did after I boiled it. :dunce:

Oh, and I got a really bad menstrual migraine for each of those three periods. Delightful.

Edited by crtclms, 06 May 2011 - 05:37 AM.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#7 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8760 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:39 AM

Oh, and I am 47.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#8 Catnapper

Catnapper

Living in the South under Baptist Sharia law.

• Pip
  • 1743 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:33 AM

The good news is it eventually does end.

My periods starting going off schedule in my mid-forties, I'd have a few months without, and then a monster. I'm 51, soon to be 52. Or sometimes I would get a really light period of one or two days. In my prime I had regular and heavy periods. Some of the monster periods lasted 3 weeks, the worst one lasted nearly seven weeks so I finally went to the doctor - I wasn't really keeping track of how long and was surprised when I realized how long, and that's when I called.

The monster periods were horrible, needed tampons and night pads both during the day, kept a change of panties and pants in the trunk of my car, would end up having to take a shower in the middle of the night, etc. Not fun!

When I did go to the (new) doctor, they found I was very anaemic, and although things had slowed down by then, the doc's first recommendation was a uterine ablation. I did my research as an add-on to my online medical degree, and decided thanks, but no thanks. Plus the (new, now ex) doctor creeped me out because of heavy Christian overtones in the office - no reading material in the waiting room except bibles, Christian music in the background - it was a bit too much for me! Pills were not an option for me due to other medical reasons.

My (ex) doc said he used hot saline solution to do the ablation and performed it as an office procedure with local anathesia. It sounded terrible to me, although if I had been continuing to bleed heavily I guess I would have considered it, but with a different doctor. The former doc wanted to do it even though my bleeding had mostly stopped. Here is a quote from the link below:

Endometrial ablation is a procedure that destroys (ablates) the uterine lining, or endometrium. This procedure is used to treat dysfunctional or abnormal uterine bleeding. Sometimes a lighted viewing instrument (hysteroscope) is used to see inside the uterus. Endometrial ablation can be done by:

Laser beam (laser thermal ablation).
Heat (thermal ablation), using:
Radiofrequency.
A balloon filled with saline solution that has been heated to 85C (thermal balloon ablation).
Normal saline (heated free fluid).
Electricity, using a resectoscope with a loop or rolling ball electrode.
Freezing.
Microwave.
The endometrium heals by scarring, which usually reduces or prevents uterine bleeding.

Endometrial ablation

The new and good doc said the reason for the really heavy periods after a couple of months without is that you have built up lining that didn't release itself monthly as usual, but when it did finally come out, there was a lot of it. Or as one woman said on a different forum, "It looked like a big old chicken liver fell out there on the floor!"

If I were you, I would take iron as a preventative with some vitamin C that helps absorb the iron. I would also get some Metamucil in pill form since the iron will give you constipation. But it's worth it to get some energy back. Plus I found that getting over anaemia helped my mood tremendously. My entire adult life my red blood cell count was at the low end or a couple of points under normal. But since it was 'normal' I never took any iron for it, and looking back I wish I had, because I think it would have helped during all my mood episodes.

I still haven't gone a year without, but they're about 6 or 8 months apart and only last a day or two, very light. So I'm almost there. I take gabapentin for hot flashes instead of hormones and it works fine. Good luck to you.
New Improved Diagnosis: Probably BP II (instead of MDD recurrent), or as the pdoc said, "There's clearly some sort of cycle going on." The more I think about it, the more I think he's right. I've started a mood stabilizer and feel better, so I have my fingers crossed I'll stay far away from the abyss.

RX: Generic versions of Lamictal 200 mg, Wellbutrin SR 300 mg, Ambien 10 mg, Gabapentin 900 mg (for hot flashes), lots of vitamins and fish oil tablets.
RX Graveyard: Prozac, Topomax, Zoloft, Vivactil, Adderall, Provigil
DX: Previously DXed with Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, Without Psychotic Symptoms; still enjoying Dysthymia and Binge Eating Disorder

"All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental." Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.