• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 water

water

that's as maybe

• Pip
  • 5482 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:24 AM

While renewing my scripts with my pdoc, who I think really should just be called a psychopharmacologist, I spoke about my recent depressive episodes. Since I came into her office with a perfectly valid reason for my increased stress, depression, anxiety, she was reluctant to change my meds which I totally agreed with. However I have been sleeping all the time and asked her if there was some kind of medication I could take on an as needed basis. Not an as needed depression pill (wouldn't that be nice) but something for all this sleepiness.

At first she said, "well, there is ritalin but your insurance would have a fit."

Then, her eyes lit up and she said, "I know exactly what to give you!" She rumbled her way out of her office and came back with a free month supply of Nuvigil. I know nothing about this class of drugs. Did some reading on the web and here on the boards. The sheet that came with the medication was a bit scary. "We don't know why this medication works." "Be careful about taking this if you are depressed." (???) "Be aware of taking this drug with diazepam." (???)

The kooky lady at my pharmacy takes it and said "oh, it is just like Black Beauty without the high." (fyi: B Beauty is speed apparently.)

I assume pdoc was not worried. Even though she is very scattered and bizarro, she is smart as a whip and was writing out my scripts at the time, valium included.

Does anyone take nuvigil (or provigil) on an as needed basis? I took one pill so far. Wheeeeee. Next time I split it in half. They are 150 mg. And what is the difference between the two vigil's? I am just a bit suspicious because pdoc suggested this med because she had the free month supply. Would she have suggested something totally different if another manufacturer had sent something else? It does seem appropriate for my needs but.....

┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄

aplenzin 522, lexapro 20, xanax 5 prn, valium 5 prn

Sensitive dependance on initial conditions
Small disturbances, big repercussions
We are all so vulnerable.

#2 LynnK

LynnK

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:06 PM

Nuvigil is the "updated" patent extender for Provigil. They're both still under patent now but Provigil will be going generic soon, so they've made Nuvigil cheaper than Provigil and are giving out those free month coupons like candy. My understanding is that they want to get people starting Nuvigil now so that they're used to it and less inclined to change to Provigil when it goes generic and gets cheap.

I'm surprised that she thought the insurance would go for Nuvigil over Ritalin. Or will you be able to get more coupons in the future when this supply runs out?
Dx: recurrent depression
Rx: Parnate, Lamictal

#3 saveyoursanity

saveyoursanity

Sister Hand Grenade of Enlightened Compassion

• Inmate
  • 2184 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:11 PM

I used to take Nuvigil (and Provigil before that) as needed. It worked wonderfully, with no side effects that I could tell (aside from the fairly obvious one of "take it too late, stay up all night").

CAPS LOCK IS HOW I FEEL INSIDE ALL THE TIME.

"There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution."

Dx and Psych Rx in profile.

I am NOT a medical professional, merely experienced from a consumer perspective.
I strongly urge fact checking with your own research and consulting an actual medical professional.

#4 SashaSue

SashaSue

Vulpes Bipolaris

• Pip
  • 4565 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

I keep some provigil around as a back up adhd med. It's been a while since I researched it, but I don't remember finding anything the least bit scary about it. There's nit a big difference between the two, just enough of a difference to get a new patent, a molecule or two.
Dx: Bipolar I, ADHD<br />
Rx: Seroquel, 800mg, Lamictal, 150mg, Effexor, 325mg, Wellbutrin, 450, Dexedrine ER, 60mg

#5 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:08 PM

If I am not rested amphetamine (Vyvanse) makes me feel awful. Provigil, however, does not and wakes me up. I take it PRN.

nf

#6 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13116 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:23 PM

Hardly anyone's insurance cover's Nuvigil for off label use. You can try and see though. It's pretty benign stuff.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#7 water

water

that's as maybe

• Pip
  • 5482 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:07 PM

Thank you so much everyone. I meant to respond much earlier but...... well, my brother passed away. I am going to 'speak' about this in the grief topic when I can.

In the meantime, life goes on. I have no idea how my pdoc thought I would renew this drug. As VE said, this is definitely an off label use. My tiredness would never be described as narcolepsy. Maybe pdoc will keep giving me free samples? I have taken only a few so far. My cousin said to be careful.

It was very comforting to know that others take this med as needed.

┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄

aplenzin 522, lexapro 20, xanax 5 prn, valium 5 prn

Sensitive dependance on initial conditions
Small disturbances, big repercussions
We are all so vulnerable.

#8 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:00 PM

i've never tried nuvigil but use provigil and have for some time. It's great. i don't use it prn but do find it very helpful. the drugs are pretty similar in effecct, from what I understand, with the caveat that nuvigil seems to possibly be a bit stronger? Maybe you can keep getting samples for now until provigil goes off patent.... Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#9 jt07

jt07

Existing on the very edge of sanity

• Inmate
  • 7730 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

Nuvigil/Provigil makes a great PRN med to wake you up/give you more energy. I took Provigil for about a year until my insurance had a fit about it. Nuvigil/Provigil is prohibitively expensive, especially when Ritalin is a $4.00 generic at Walmart (it is not on the list but it is $4.00 - guess they don't want a bunch of people getting Ritalin prescriptions and flocking to Walmart or else they can't advertise Schedule II drugs).

Dx: Atypical MDD with anxiety, possible ADD, OCD (mostly recovered)
Rx: Citalopram (20 mg), Remeron (45 mg), Abilify (30 mg), Carbamazepine (800 mg), Lamotrigine (200 mg), Ritalin (20 mg AM, 10 mg PM)

горький осадок, но сахара не надо

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.