Refill dates for Schedule II

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2429 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:05 PM

For those on Ritalin, or an amphetamine based stim (Adderal, Dexadrine, Yvyanse, et. al.) do you get a new script with a date of the last day of your old scrip ? Or does your doc give some overlap so you can refill while having some med left ?

While this is not a problem if you fill month to month as the new script can be filled and picked up in a day. But I have to do 90 day mail order scripts, so the processing time is longer.

I am looking at at least, with express mail, a 5 day wait. I have cheated and not taken Vyvanse on the weekend unless I have to so I have a few extra pills. It is just my luck that my present script ends and my new script begins on a Sunday.

nf

Edited by notfred, 08 May 2011 - 12:06 PM.

#2 saveyoursanity

saveyoursanity

Sister Hand Grenade of Enlightened Compassion

• Inmate
  • 2195 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:10 PM

For those on Ritalin, or an amphetamine based stim (Adderal, Dexadrine, Yvyanse, et. al.) do you get a new script with a date of the last day of your old scrip ? Or does your doc give some overlap so you can refill while having some med left ?

I get a few scripts at a time, and the new script is dated exactly the day my old one runs out. I'm not sure if this is protocol with Schedule 2 meds or not, but it's a giant pain in the ass.

CAPS LOCK IS HOW I FEEL INSIDE ALL THE TIME.

"There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution."

Dx and Psych Rx in profile.

I am NOT a medical professional, merely experienced from a consumer perspective.
I strongly urge fact checking with your own research and consulting an actual medical professional.

#3 Cetkat

Cetkat

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe..

• Pip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:17 PM

Month to month, no real overlap.. I think it was one day. But you have certain circumstances where you run out of meds for a short time. I'd talk to your pdoc and see what can be done.. they wouldn't want you to be out either.

Edit: And, yeah. It's protocol. I'm kind of thinking about a secondary script for a one week supply. If not for the Vyvanase, regular Adderall.. or something..

Edited by Cetkat, 08 May 2011 - 01:23 PM.

_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

Dx: Major Depression w/ Dysthymia, Panic Disorder, GAD, ADHD, Fibromyalgia
Pdoc's Theory Dx: Bipolar NOS (MDD with BP traits w/o hypo or mania)
Rx : Emsam 12mg/24hr, Strattera 80mg, Lyrica 150mg, Armour Thyroid 120mg (2 gr), Zofran prn, Nadolol prn, Xanax prn, Methocarbamol 750mg prn, D3 4,000IU
EXRx : Zoloft, Seroquel, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lithium, Lamictal, Remeron, Lexapro, Abilify, Zyprexa, Geodon, Cymbalta, Paxil, Sonata, Lunesta, Effexor, Metadate, Risperdal, BuSpar, Ambien, Invega, Tegretol, Nortriptyline, Desipramine, Deplin, Neurontin, Concerta, Trazodone, Mirapex, Amitriptyline, Saphris, Prestiq, Requip

I do whatever my rice krispies tell me to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"OK so cheese is trapped, so you can't have cheese." - MDK
_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _. _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

#4 Indigo 'n dye

Indigo 'n dye

• Pip
  • 3667 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:13 PM

I too use a mail-order pharmacy. They send me a text message several days before a refill is due saying they have requested a new Rx from my physician, or that I need to do so, and telling me to call to schedule delivery. If the last day of the previous Rx is on a Saturday, Sunday, or holiday, they schedule delivery to avoid being without.

I understand that the category of meds is of primary importance, but perhaps the pharmacy and the insurance also plays a role in the process? Check with the mail order pharmacy to see if more convenient delivery can be arranged.

#5 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2429 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:17 PM

I suspect that the issue at hand is the DEA. Allowing early refills is something they often use as evidence of prescribing irregularity, especially on the controlled substances

nf.

#6 Cetkat

Cetkat

• Pip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:26 PM

I suspect that the issue at hand is the DEA. Allowing early refills is something they often use as evidence of prescribing irregularity, especially on the controlled substances

nf.

Yep. Sure is. The question is how early is early.. like how Xanax can be filled 4 or 3 days ahead of time. Also if it's possible for the script can be written earlier and post dated to the point where it's instantly fillable when the company receives it. So, hopefully, the company can process it faster. If that won't work how you need it to, I still suggest the two script option. Vyvanse may be flagged, but another ADD med has a chance of going though. It could just be written for a small amount. Anyway, these would be good things to talk to your pdoc about and see how he feels about all of this & what he sees as a reasonable possibility.

_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

Rx : Emsam 12mg/24hr, Strattera 80mg, Lyrica 150mg, Armour Thyroid 120mg (2 gr), Zofran prn, Nadolol prn, Xanax prn, Methocarbamol 750mg prn, D3 4,000IU
EXRx : Zoloft, Seroquel, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lithium, Lamictal, Remeron, Lexapro, Abilify, Zyprexa, Geodon, Cymbalta, Paxil, Sonata, Lunesta, Effexor, Metadate, Risperdal, BuSpar, Ambien, Invega, Tegretol, Nortriptyline, Desipramine, Deplin, Neurontin, Concerta, Trazodone, Mirapex, Amitriptyline, Saphris, Prestiq, Requip

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _. _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

#7 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2429 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:29 PM

Month to month, no real overlap.. I think it was one day. But you have certain circumstances where you run out of meds for a short time. I'd talk to your pdoc and see what can be done.. they wouldn't want you to be out either.

Edit: And, yeah. It's protocol. I'm kind of thinking about a secondary script for a one week supply. If not for the Vyvanase, regular Adderall.. or something..

Yep, I will talk with him. He may have samples, he is very free with them. I would just do this one as a 30 day script but the price difference, 30 day script is $50, 90 day script is $50, is too great to pass up. $600 vs $200 a year.

nf

#8 Indigo 'n dye

Indigo 'n dye

• Pip
  • 3667 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:33 PM

nf.

Damn...

#9 Cetkat

Cetkat

• Pip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:38 PM

Yep, I will talk with him. He may have samples, he is very free with them. I would just do this one as a 30 day script but the price difference, 30 day script is $50, 90 day script is $50, is too great to pass up. $600 vs $200 a year.

Samples would be excellent! I totally hear you with that. I'd definitely mail-order too. Just got to fix the gap somehow, you know. And, actually, most meds you can bring in a new script at anytime with a dose increase & they'll put it though. Of course that's with normal class meds. May not work with this class schedule. But, yeah.. a different dose or med in general should work without being flagged. The question is whether or not the pdoc is comfortable with doing that... but with a 5-7 day script, it doesn't seem like there would be a liability issue.

BTW, do you have insurance for the Vyvanase? Or is the mail order the base price?

Edited by Cetkat, 08 May 2011 - 04:39 PM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#10 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2429 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:48 PM

BTW, do you have insurance for the Vyvanase?

Yes.

#11 Cetkat

Cetkat

• Pip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:06 PM

Shit. I was hoping that, although extremely unlikely, that the program was just that good and didn't require insurance, as it's not in my formulary until (hopefully) next year & I would very much prefer that. Oh well.. Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#12 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2429 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:51 PM

Shit. I was hoping that, although extremely unlikely, that the program was just that good and didn't require insurance, as it's not in my formulary until (hopefully) next year & I would very much prefer that. Oh well.. Thanks.

I have weird prescription insurance. They cover as preferred brand Vyvanse, Aplenzen, and Lamictal XR. Adderal XR is covered.

nf

#13 Cetkat

Cetkat

• Pip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:34 PM

I have weird prescription insurance. They cover as preferred brand Vyvanse, Aplenzen, and Lamictal XR. Adderal XR is covered.

nf

Yeah, mine just says Adderall. I need to call and find out what variations of that are covered. The Strattera is helping more than I thought it was, but in a different way than the Metadate and Concerta. Ultimately, it's not addressing most of the problem so I'm thinking an addition would do the trick. I don't think having one alongside the Strattera should be a problem with my pdoc, but you never know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#14 sylvan

sylvan

Pill Party

• Admin
  • 4304 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:29 PM

I take Adderall and get it filled by Caremark. A 90 day supply. I usually overlap by a couple of weeks. I've been doing this for years for me and my kids. They've never given me the least bit of trouble.

It has been a year since one of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing passed away. He was strong, intelligent, caring, and honest. I had the honor of calling him Daddy. I will miss both my parents for as long as I live. I hope that I can be even half as good of a spouse, parent, and friend as the two of them were. Life is now forever changed for me. It will never be like it was. That doesn't mean it will all be bad, it will just be different.

#15 NMR Lucien

NMR Lucien

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:30 PM

You have to call your mail order company and find out for sure because they're all different...some will allow an overlap, others won't. I think MOST of them will allow at least a week to account for shipping and you can send them a post-dated Rx. I work at a retail pharmacy and we can only allow a 3-day overlap with most insurances.
Dx: Bipolar II
ADHD (inattentive type)
Rx: Topamax 250mg
Wellbutrin XL 300mg
Adderall XR 20 mg

I don't care what they say, there IS a difference between "brand" and "generic"....

#16 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2429 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:48 PM

You have to call your mail order company and find out for sure because they're all different...some will allow an overlap, others won't. I think MOST of them will allow at least a week to account for shipping and you can send them a post-dated Rx. I work at a retail pharmacy and we can only allow a 3-day overlap with most insurances.

Thats good to know.

nf

#17 addxr25

addxr25

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:37 PM

I have a script, says may fill 25th early refill authorized due to dose increase. Its the 20th.
Adderall xr25mg #60.
I'm out, I'm not stupid, so spare the smartass remarks.
U think there's any hope on filling.whatever technique used.

#18 Cetkat

Cetkat

• Pip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:53 PM

I have a script, says may fill 25th early refill authorized due to dose increase. Its the 20th.
Adderall xr25mg #60.

Go to the drugstore and see. It sounds like it's saying the 25th is an early fill itself. If that's true, it won't go through (right now). I don't see what other "technique" could be used.. mailing it off would take longer.

Welcome to CB.

Edit: Clarity

Edited by Cetkat, 21 May 2011 - 06:09 AM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#19 addxr25

addxr25

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:02 PM

Ya, u hit the nail on the head. O thought a possible "leaving town" excuse might work, but not sure if its possible at all, because of it being a CII.

#20 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2429 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:14 PM

Adderall xr25mg #60.

May refill this script on the 25th, despite that date being an early refill. This is due to a dosage increase.

Thats my take on this.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.