Severe Dry Mouth W/Adderall

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ImNotOk

ImNotOk

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:54 PM

I tried to do a forum search on this, but for some reason, 'dry' being only 3 letters wouldn't allow it.

The Adderall I recently started at 20 mg twice per day is really helping for the most part, but now that I'm kind of getting relief from the ADD, the dry mouth is really starting to get me down.

I mean, one can only drink so much water! I have to make sure bathrooms are always accessible, as well as the water or I'm almost frantic. I need to take care of my teeth. Plus, my family, specifically my dad, thinks all 'dopeheads' have this dry mouth and when they talk and others can tell it, it makes him angry.
After an internet researching this topic, I bought the only chewing gum I could find with Xylitol being the 1st ingredient (mentos gum), but you can only chew so much gum too before your jaws ache :wacko: .

Lately, it seems better on some days than others, so I'm hoping that some of you veterans will tell me that it can get better with time!

Everyone on here has really been so helpful. I really appreciate it...

Newly-diagnosed ADHD, inattentive-type
As of 4/20/11, day 2 of generic Adderall (made by Barr) 20 mg twice per day and working well.
Main problems:

Problems staying nice, patient with son
Acid-tongued, impulsive, interrupt people often
Mental fog, severe procrastination, slow, forgetful
Scatterbrained
Very sensitive to sounds
Sometimes don't want to be touched or be around people

Prev. Rx: Methylin 10 mg twice per day.

#2 That Girl

That Girl

• Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:12 PM

Juicy foods can be helpful - fruits & veggies with a high water / juice content (bonus - good for you!). They have meds I think that can counteract dry mouth - but I'm sort of of the opinion that when something is making your mouth dry - it's happening for a reason & signaling you to hydrate.
I find if I ignore my dry mouth on my adipex (similar but different stimulant drug) eventually, my kidneys start to hurt.

PS - your body will get used to taking in more water - so you don't feel like you're going to pee your pants all the time - ha - it takes some time though.

official DX: GAD, depression, migraines... OH - and Rheumatoid Arthritis, just for fun.
Current RX - 20mg Lexapro, xanex xr as needed, klonapin as needed. for pain issues - flexaril, naprosyn as needed. for fatness - lol - adipex when I feel like it.
Also - working on finding a therapist & doing the work I know needs to be done that I have not successfully been able to do on my own in the past.
~~
Past RX - currently unmedicated - oh wait - that's not true. all as needed (which is more than I actually take them) xanex, klonapin, flexaril... plus a cupboard full of shit previously prescribed that I don't take anymore... most recently, I went rounds with Celexa, Cymbalta & then Pristiq (in that order...) With the last 2 causing me to be very obsessive & then causing the worst fucking withdrawl symptoms I've ever experienced.
~Update 4/11 ~ well, my depression got the best of me & I'm currently making the climb out of the despair pit with Lexapro. Seems to be working OK - I'm about half way back up. Not crying every day at least - so that's a relief.

#3 LynnK

LynnK

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

Unfortunately, it hasn't gotten better for me. Water doesn't seem to help my dry mouth... just makes me pee more. :) If you get tired of chewing sugar-free gum (the first thing my dentist recommended, and Xylitol's the way to go), suck on sugar-free hard candies. Also, something that may help is biting down on the sides or tip of your tongue to trick your mouth into producing some of saliva.

I recently bought those Listerine strips in the hope that if I use them when my mouth gets very dry and I don't have any water, gum, etc., on hand, they might kill off some of the bacteria in my mouth. (They say they "kill 99% of bad breath germs!" but I'm not too clear on the overlap between "bad breath germs" and "cavity causing bacteria.")

I also use fluoride rinse, and my dentist said he could give me a high-fluoride toothpaste if necessary.

Good luck!
Dx: recurrent depression
Rx: Parnate, Lamictal

#4 AirMarshall

AirMarshall

Jumping the CB Shark

• Pip
  • 6686 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:59 PM

I can't tell you whether it will get better or not.

However, don't ignore the issue. Dry mouth can greatly accelerate tooth decay m, leading to tooth loss. You may need to go more often to the dentist, two or three times a year to stay on top.

-Avoid sodas and fruit juices that will coat your teeth. They provide sugar that feeds the bacteria.

Biotene is a mouthwash for dry mouth. It has enzymes that help stave off the bacteria and it lingers to help keep things moist. I used it for a while when I was on a high dose of Adderall. They may have some drops or spray that you can use during the day.

I recall there being a couple other products for dry mouth. Check the web and talk to your pharmacist!

**My work is done.  Swimming for the nearest shore.**

#5 rowen

rowen

Bringin' Sexy Back

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1932 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:18 PM

Lemon sugar-free hard candy will make you salivate. I learned this from some clients where I work. They swear by it.
I have been every flavor of Bipolar, and have now come back to Mood Disorder NOS. Heh. Also, OCD and working on AvPD
Old issues: ED NOS
Meds - Lamictal 200mg, Effexor XR 150mg, lithium 900 mg, trazodone PRN, Ativan PRN
Old meds - Lexapro, Remeron, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta/Seroquel, Abilify, Geodon/Ambien, Lunesta, Sonata/Klonopin

May all beings be free from all pain and suffering.

I am not a doctor. Keep that in mind.

#6 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:36 PM

Biotine makes a spray that is fantastic, I use it when I experience dry mouth. I have not found the dryness letting up any with time. It is a common amphetamine effect. You should also try the mouthwash. Walgreens has Biotine.

nf

Edited by notfred, 10 May 2011 - 03:38 PM.

#7 SashaSue

SashaSue

Vulpes Bipolaris

• Pip
  • 4565 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:44 PM

For me, either it's improved over time, or I've just gotten so used to it it doesn't bother me anymore. I think you can get biotene products from the Crazy Store.
Dx: Bipolar I, ADHD<br />
Rx: Seroquel, 800mg, Lamictal, 150mg, Effexor, 325mg, Wellbutrin, 450, Dexedrine ER, 60mg

#8 ImNotOk

ImNotOk

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:52 PM

I checked with 2 pharmacists; one recommended Salivart, an artificial saliva, and the other a xylitol spray that I'm unable to find without ordering online.

I promise that I will not ignore it. Can't afford to lose any teeth!

I can't tell you whether it will get better or not.

However, don't ignore the issue. Dry mouth can greatly accelerate tooth decay m, leading to tooth loss. You may need to go more often to the dentist, two or three times a year to stay on top.

-Avoid sodas and fruit juices that will coat your teeth. They provide sugar that feeds the bacteria.

Biotene is a mouthwash for dry mouth. It has enzymes that help stave off the bacteria and it lingers to help keep things moist. I used it for a while when I was on a high dose of Adderall. They may have some drops or spray that you can use during the day.

I recall there being a couple other products for dry mouth. Check the web and talk to your pharmacist!

As of 4/20/11, day 2 of generic Adderall (made by Barr) 20 mg twice per day and working well.
Main problems:

Scatterbrained
Very sensitive to sounds

#9 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:22 PM

Biotine contains xylitol.

nf

#10 ImNotOk

ImNotOk

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

Oh...good to know.
The pharmacist who recommended a spray for me couldn't remember the name of it AND said that they didn't carry it. He was not much help.

I will definitely look into the Biotene and the lemon candy. I was sort of trying to avoid candy--even sugar free, but if it helps...
I can't quite imagine spraying something that's artificial saliva in my mouth (sounds kinda gross), so I'm going to save the Salivart as a last resort.

Biotine contains xylitol.

nf

Main problems:

Scatterbrained
Very sensitive to sounds

#11 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:21 PM

but I'm sort of of the opinion that when something is making your mouth dry - it's happening for a reason & signaling you to hydrate.

At least with me, remaining well hydrated has no effect, in fact I have to over hydrate (over 1 gallon of water a day) due to another issue and still my mouth is dry on Vyvanse. It comes on quickly and will leave quickly.

nf

Edited by notfred, 10 May 2011 - 07:22 PM.

#12 Aurochs

Aurochs

I've got a lot on my mind and a lot of gun in my hand.

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 838 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:10 AM

I'm sort of of the opinion that when something is making your mouth dry - it's happening for a reason & signaling you to hydrate.

Adderall doesn't cause dry mouth by dehydrating you. It directly inhibits salivation. Drinking more water does not overcome this problem.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." --Carl Sagan

#13 That Girl

That Girl

• Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:04 AM

I'm sort of of the opinion that when something is making your mouth dry - it's happening for a reason &amp; signaling you to hydrate.

Adderall doesn't cause dry mouth by dehydrating you. It directly inhibits salivation. Drinking more water does not overcome this problem.

I guess Adipex probably does the same thing - but, as I said, if I ignore it, my kidneys start to hurt (which is aleviated by drinking more water - forgot to say that part!) I think with most stimulants, you do run the risk of dehydrating - since they generally have an effect on appitite, which can reduce the amount of hydration you are taking in from food sources... Just saying. And, from a dental perspective, water helps neutralize acids in your mouth too. So yeah, Been there with the dry to the point of raw mouth - and the supplemental stuff to help with that is great - but hydration is important too. That's all I was getting at... Most people, regardless of meds or not, don't tend to stay properly hydrated.

Edited by That Girl, 11 May 2011 - 11:39 AM.

official DX: GAD, depression, migraines... OH - and Rheumatoid Arthritis, just for fun.
Current RX - 20mg Lexapro, xanex xr as needed, klonapin as needed. for pain issues - flexaril, naprosyn as needed. for fatness - lol - adipex when I feel like it.
Also - working on finding a therapist & doing the work I know needs to be done that I have not successfully been able to do on my own in the past.
~~
Past RX - currently unmedicated - oh wait - that's not true. all as needed (which is more than I actually take them) xanex, klonapin, flexaril... plus a cupboard full of shit previously prescribed that I don't take anymore... most recently, I went rounds with Celexa, Cymbalta & then Pristiq (in that order...) With the last 2 causing me to be very obsessive & then causing the worst fucking withdrawl symptoms I've ever experienced.
~Update 4/11 ~ well, my depression got the best of me & I'm currently making the climb out of the despair pit with Lexapro. Seems to be working OK - I'm about half way back up. Not crying every day at least - so that's a relief.

#14 Aurochs

Aurochs

I've got a lot on my mind and a lot of gun in my hand.

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 838 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:39 PM

And, from a dental perspective, water helps neutralize acids in your mouth too.

Water does not neutralize acid, because it's not basic. The most it can do is wash any acids out of your mouth, which only helps as long as you're actually drinking water.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to drink more water. I'm just saying that it's not going to help your stimulant-induced dry mouth.

EDIT: Also, if your pee is clear, you're well-hydrated and don't need to drink any more water.

Edited by Aurochs, 11 May 2011 - 03:47 PM.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." --Carl Sagan

#15 That Girl

That Girl

• Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:37 PM

EDIT: Also, if your pee is clear, you're well-hydrated and don't need to drink any more water.

Yes true - you can over do it & that's not good either ;)
I was strictly speaking from experience on the dehydration thing - I have found it easy to become dehydrated on stimulants - perhaps indirectly - but the whole dry mouth thing does serve as a reminder, for me, to hydrate - regardless of the actual mechanism by which the actual stimulant is operating to cause said dry mouth.

bunch of damn literal scientists around here - lol - I like it.

Edit - oh, and it was my dentist who said something about water / acids in your mouth - maybe I was half listening & he actually said something about it washing the acid away. No harm, no foul - clean & wet mouth is a happy mouth I suppose.

Edited by That Girl, 11 May 2011 - 04:40 PM.

~~

#16 Philosopher

Philosopher

Autodidact

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:03 AM

I had some symptoms like this from this med, as well as tics. ADD meds really don't work for me... which can be seen in my signature...
Existence precedes essence.
Interests: Music, 日本語, Philosophy, Psychology, Genetics, History, Anthropology, Biology, Science in general, Literature, Linguistics, Books, Internet, Patterns, Memes...
Dx: Asperger's Syndrome, Sensory Processing Disorder, ADD (Inattentive Type), Anxiety Disorder, Insomnia
Rx: Melatonin (sleep), Trazadone (sleep), Citalopram (anxiety)
Past Rx: Tylenol PM (sleep), Benadryl (sleep)
Fail'd: Focalin (attention), Ritalin (attention), Adderall (attention), Risperidone (sleep)

#17 LynnK

LynnK

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:36 AM

After an internet researching this topic, I bought the only chewing gum I could find with Xylitol being the 1st ingredient (mentos gum)

I recently came across a gum at a Wegman's grocery store in the dental part of the 'natural' section of the store: Zellie's Xylitol Gum. It advertises a gram of xylitol per piece (ingredients: xylitol, gum base, natural flavors, lecithin, gum arabic, titanium dioxide, carnauba wax).

I've been alternating between Zellie's and Biotene throughout the day. Biotene has their "bioactive enzyme system" that they advertise as an antimicrobial, but seems to be lacking in xylitol -- the main polyols are malitol and sorbitol. (Biotene ingredients: maltitol, sorbitol, gum base, xylitol, artificial flavor, titanium dioxide, lecithin, resinous glaze, acesulfame k, potassium thiocyanate, lactoperoxidase, glucose oxidase, bees wax, carnauba wax.) I swap it out with Zellie's to add an extra xylitol kick -- and at $6.99 for a giant package of 100 piece, it's a lot cheaper (and tastes better) than Biotene.
Dx: recurrent depression
Rx: Parnate, Lamictal

#18 notfred

notfred

• Pip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:39 AM

I am finding after being on Vyvanse for a few months that the dry mouth is much much less than it was when I started.

nf

Edited by notfred, 15 June 2011 - 12:28 PM.

#19 ImNotOk

ImNotOk

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:50 PM

Hmmm...Haven't seen Zellie's yet. It is good to know that there are more brands coming out on the market. Maybe competition will drive the price down.

I found a Biotene competitor of sorts called Spry at an Earth Fare store. I haven't tried it yet though. Funds are tight for me and I'm pretty much sticking to what I can buy in the grocery isle for now. I'm seeing lots more gum with xylitol as the first ingredient and many are quite good. I'm lovin' Ice Breakers Ice Cubes in watermelon flavor right now.

I suppose I could probably buy some xylitol and make my own hard candy as well. I would like to try the mouth gel made by Biotene that is supposed to last up to 2 hrs. They just started carrying it at Walgreens in my area. I think it's about $8 or $9 a tube. Some say it lasts them about 2 wks, so I guess it's kinda pricey.

After an internet researching this topic, I bought the only chewing gum I could find with Xylitol being the 1st ingredient (mentos gum)

I recently came across a gum at a Wegman's grocery store in the dental part of the 'natural' section of the store: Zellie's Xylitol Gum. It advertises a gram of xylitol per piece (ingredients: xylitol, gum base, natural flavors, lecithin, gum arabic, titanium dioxide, carnauba wax).

I've been alternating between Zellie's and Biotene throughout the day. Biotene has their "bioactive enzyme system" that they advertise as an antimicrobial, but seems to be lacking in xylitol -- the main polyols are malitol and sorbitol. (Biotene ingredients: maltitol, sorbitol, gum base, xylitol, artificial flavor, titanium dioxide, lecithin, resinous glaze, acesulfame k, potassium thiocyanate, lactoperoxidase, glucose oxidase, bees wax, carnauba wax.) I swap it out with Zellie's to add an extra xylitol kick -- and at $6.99 for a giant package of 100 piece, it's a lot cheaper (and tastes better) than Biotene.

Main problems:

Scatterbrained
Very sensitive to sounds

#20 ImNotOk

ImNotOk

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:59 PM

I am finding after being on Vyvanse for a few months that the dry mouth to much much less than it was when I started.

nf

Notfred, I'm hope I'm reading correctly and you are saying that your dry mouth has gotten much better. If so, that's really good news. I'm gonna believe for that to happen in my case as well. After having been a nurse for 20 years and having patients on various meds/conditions with dry mouth symptoms, I'm realizing that I never really understood how troublesome it can be. Especially when I find myself hyperfocused and don't want to stop even to drink.

I'm also learning that with ADD, there is a fine line between hyperfocusing, focused, and not being able to focus at all. It's kind of rare of late that the Adderall helps me hit the mark.

[/quote]
Main problems:

Scatterbrained
Very sensitive to sounds

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.