Weird, funny, not so horrible side effects

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 That Girl

That Girl

• Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:27 PM

OK, so, we all know some of these meds we take to better our lives can cause some totally crappy side effects... BUT - over the years, I've had some side effects that weren't so terrible - sometimes funny, sometimes weird. Thought it might be a fun thread to share some of those, if I'm correct in my assumption that I'm not the only one who has had some side effects that weren't so much on the horrible side. I've only ever experienced AD side effects - but hey, all flavors welcome:)

Elavil - Every time I yawned, I would almost orgasm. That was a funny one. Certain strenuous activities would have the same result (think *climbing the rope in gym class* sort of effect!) A couple years later I read a report about them discovering that it basically put some people on the edge of orgasm. (apparently, not what they originally meant by sexual side effects!) It also made me crave fruit - but only things like grapes & plums for some reason.

Celexa - Made me a morning person. That was a great side effect - as I've never been a morning person & always wished I was one. I know it was a side effect because one day, it stopped working & the morning person disappeared as quickly as it had appeared & no other AD has ever done that to me. When it was working though, that was great. I never ever hit snooze (and I'm a 5x plus snooze hitter), popped out of bed ready to face the day... even did the occasional load of laundry or dishes before heading to work. I miss that one!

I know I have a few more - but I can't think of them atm - whatchya'all got?
official DX: GAD, depression, migraines... OH - and Rheumatoid Arthritis, just for fun.
Current RX - 20mg Lexapro, xanex xr as needed, klonapin as needed. for pain issues - flexaril, naprosyn as needed. for fatness - lol - adipex when I feel like it.
Also - working on finding a therapist & doing the work I know needs to be done that I have not successfully been able to do on my own in the past.
~~
Past RX - currently unmedicated - oh wait - that's not true. all as needed (which is more than I actually take them) xanex, klonapin, flexaril... plus a cupboard full of shit previously prescribed that I don't take anymore... most recently, I went rounds with Celexa, Cymbalta & then Pristiq (in that order...) With the last 2 causing me to be very obsessive & then causing the worst fucking withdrawl symptoms I've ever experienced.
~Update 4/11 ~ well, my depression got the best of me & I'm currently making the climb out of the despair pit with Lexapro. Seems to be working OK - I'm about half way back up. Not crying every day at least - so that's a relief.

#2 tryp

tryp

DBT = Diary Card Bingo

• Inmate
  • 6862 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:32 PM

Celexa made me crave whole wheat bread. I was eating it by the bag.

Dx: Complex PTSD
Tx: Lamictal (250) + prazosin (7.5) + "therapy"

#3 That Girl

That Girl

• Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:47 PM

Tryp - ha - bet you can make some mean toast!

Celexa also made me feel like I was on mushrooms on & off for a few days in the beginning - which was fun / funny while it lasted, but I was glad when it stopped (I think it was actually waves of anxiety, but it felt really similar based on experiences I had when I was Y&S - young n stupid!)
official DX: GAD, depression, migraines... OH - and Rheumatoid Arthritis, just for fun.
Current RX - 20mg Lexapro, xanex xr as needed, klonapin as needed. for pain issues - flexaril, naprosyn as needed. for fatness - lol - adipex when I feel like it.
Also - working on finding a therapist & doing the work I know needs to be done that I have not successfully been able to do on my own in the past.
~~
Past RX - currently unmedicated - oh wait - that's not true. all as needed (which is more than I actually take them) xanex, klonapin, flexaril... plus a cupboard full of shit previously prescribed that I don't take anymore... most recently, I went rounds with Celexa, Cymbalta & then Pristiq (in that order...) With the last 2 causing me to be very obsessive & then causing the worst fucking withdrawl symptoms I've ever experienced.
~Update 4/11 ~ well, my depression got the best of me & I'm currently making the climb out of the despair pit with Lexapro. Seems to be working OK - I'm about half way back up. Not crying every day at least - so that's a relief.

#4 The Emperor

The Emperor

Is there a hole for me to get sick in?

• Pip
  • 3728 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:01 PM

Either Pristiq or Effexor made it so that it sometimes took me 15 minutes to get any piss to come out. It was rather annoying.

What the docs wrote down about my Crazy: Bipolar II, Some anxiety issue
The pills they give me to fix this shit: Lamictal 175mg, clonazepam 1mg , Trileptal 600mg
Pills that did NOT fix this shit: Sertraline, Buspirone, Mirtazipine, Paroxetine, Gabapentin, Effexor XR, Lorazepam, Cymbalta(twice), Zolpidem, Bupropion XL, Pristiq, Fluoxetine, Vistaril, Lexapro, Celexa, Trazodone, Geodon

Pills that worked well enough but side effects were total shit so I stopped: Abilify, Lithium, valium

sun moon stars rain

#5 shimmeree

shimmeree

• Pip
  • 756 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:22 PM

oh yeah, the pee thing. i have that every time i go up on my effexor. i asked my pdoc about it and he explained that the norepinephrine part of the drug has that effect on the bladder sphincter. totally annoying.

Dx: major depression, C-PTSD. (309.81, 296.3X), self- harm, alcohol abuse
Rx: 225 mg venlafaxine HCL (currently titrating up to 300 mg), 900 mg gabapentin TID, 50 mg trazodone
past Rx: Paxil, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, clonazepam, lorazepam

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being. ~ Carl Jung
We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses. ~ Carl Jung

#6 jarn

jarn

• Pip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:40 PM

Invega made me lactate.

Current meds: Saphris 25mg, Latuda 80mg, Lamotrigine 250mg, Pristiq 100mg, Ativan 1mg

#7 Damik

Damik

• Pip
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:46 PM

Man I wish my meds gave me funny side effects. I've gotten tense muscles, sick-as-a-dog, rashes, blotting, gas, amenorrhea, grinding teeth, hallucinations, insomnia, hypersomnia, twitches, tremors, fainting, anorexia, the munchies, high blood pressure, low blood pressure and OMG the weight I have put on. I've had a lot of things where I've thought hmm, that's new. But none where I've thought that's funny.

I'm currently enjoying the brain zaps. Not funny and I would give my left pinky toe to whoever can come up with a way to get rid of them.

DX: Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Attention Deficit Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder, Schizoaffective Disorder Depressive Type, Insomnia, Borderline Personality Disorder and Overly Dramatic Person Who Gets Worse With Treatment

RX: Neurontin 600mg 2x/day, Fanapt 8mg 2x/day, Synthroid 0.112mg, Prozac 40mg

Former RX: Zyprexa, Moban, Risperidone, Geodon, Methylin, Strattera, Seroquel, Abilify, Effexor, Latuda, Celexa, Lexapro, Paxil, Zoloft, Cymbalta, Wellbutrin, Zanax, Ativan, Depakote, Tegretol, Remeron, Luvox, Pristiq, Emsam, Trileptal, Restoril, Saphris, Topamax, Lithium, Seroquel, Thorazine, Klonipin

Time still goes on

Through each life of misery

Everybody's got a hold on hope

It's the last thing that's holding me

-Guided by Voices

#8 Damik

Damik

• Pip
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:49 PM

Invega made me lactate.

Risperidone made me lactate, too. I was so horrified that I failed to see the humor in it. It's gross, breasts aren't supposed to do that.

DX: Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Attention Deficit Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder, Schizoaffective Disorder Depressive Type, Insomnia, Borderline Personality Disorder and Overly Dramatic Person Who Gets Worse With Treatment

RX: Neurontin 600mg 2x/day, Fanapt 8mg 2x/day, Synthroid 0.112mg, Prozac 40mg

Former RX: Zyprexa, Moban, Risperidone, Geodon, Methylin, Strattera, Seroquel, Abilify, Effexor, Latuda, Celexa, Lexapro, Paxil, Zoloft, Cymbalta, Wellbutrin, Zanax, Ativan, Depakote, Tegretol, Remeron, Luvox, Pristiq, Emsam, Trileptal, Restoril, Saphris, Topamax, Lithium, Seroquel, Thorazine, Klonipin

Time still goes on

Through each life of misery

Everybody's got a hold on hope

It's the last thing that's holding me

-Guided by Voices

#9 That Girl

That Girl

• Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:21 PM

Yeah - I've had some shitty ones too - they can definately make you lose sight of, or maybe not even see the less sucky ones. Who knows what kind of funny stuff I wasn't noticing when I was so tense I probably shouldn't have been driving b/c I couldn't turn around to see if it was clear to merge... I don't even remember which one did that.

Wellbutrin made me wake up every hour - every night. Literally every 60 minutes on the dot my eyes would just pop wide open out of a dead sleep. That was a weird one. Wellbutrin didn't stick around long...
~~

#10 lysergia

lysergia

ripping off the bootstraps

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3585 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:14 PM

Insomnia that lead to 48 hours of microsleeping while visiting my folks. I talked right through the dream states as well as being awake, having no clue that I was even sleeping at all. Except that I was having 30 second dream conversations out loud every five minutes... I was mortified that my entire subconscious had been laid bare for my parents to hear and I couldn't stop.

Four years later, it's funny to me. It was rather embarassing at the time, though!

current dx:

BPII, DDNOS, major anxiety issues, PTSD issues (now subclinical), ED issues (recovered anorexic), auditory/visual/tactile hallucinations

current rx:

bupropion XL 300 mg, clonazepam 3 mg, zopiclone 7.5 mg, synthroid 0.15 mg (supplements: D3, B12, Omega 3)

download.jpg

#11 enlightened_plutonian

enlightened_plutonian

The boundary between reality and delusion is currently out of the office

• Pip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:49 AM

The AD I used to be on a few years ago made me hallucinate?? Pretty horrible, very scary. Hated that. The self harm and anxiety that followed. But on the good side I moved away from my parents in the middle of all this. That was something good to come out of a bad situation.

But I have a couple of ok side effects from my Seroquel. I can sleep. That's good seeing as sleep deprivation can make me ill. Also the antihistamine effect I love this. Plus I feel that my emotions are back to normal and can feel how I am meant to feel rather than feeling nothing other than constant flatness. Though I hate that my world is falling apart around me and I can't currently hang on to anything. Why can't coming out of my delusions feel good?!
Current diagnosis = psychosis NOS
History = depression (remission since April 2009), SI (remission since April 2009), alcohol abuse (remission since March 2007)
Past false dx = BPD (only symptom I had was SI), schizophrenia (I was very sleep deprived at the time)
Also have diabetes and pain issues (undiagnosed) and hayfever (April - June)

Current meds = Seroquel 800mg XR (as 400 in the morning and 400 in the night)
Also on insulin and Microgynon

I am not deluded, I just don't agree with your reality!

#12 dedoubt

dedoubt

• Pip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:12 AM

It's gross, breasts aren't supposed to do that.

Um... Maybe nobody has told you, but that's actually what breasts are for. Either that, or all those years I spent nursing babies was some kind of freakish thing... ;) (And you know, women and men can begin lactating just from having their nipples/breasts stimulated enough-- it happens more often than people talk about, and really isn't gross.)

I can't remember if it was Abilify or Cymbalta, but I had the most intense carb cravings while on it. I worked at a bakery and would bring home all of the leftover cookies and baked goods in a paper bag. In the middle of the night, I would wake up feeling like I would DIE if I didn't eat all of it, cram it in my mouth as fast as possible, then go back to sleep. If I didn't keep the bag next to my bed, I would have to go get it, which woke me up way more than eating a few muffins and half a dozen cookies. At the time, it was such a terrible feeling of desperation, I didn't think it was that funny, but now I do. Considering some of my side effects, cookie eating is a pretty good one.

Ambien has often made me do stuff in my "sleep," like draw weird pictures, talk about strange things, or type baffling messages to people, like this:

k,mx um
Wednesday, December 8, 2010 11:52 PM I took amsbie and cant sleep becaise i keep thinking of things i have to do and then i thougt i shouls write you a message e= ebecause im sorry you feel rotten and i widh i could magic it away maybe i should join a v=c0coven to learn how to help yopu.i might have to dance namked aiwth fat adies and then the devil will sproing me with his forked sproing. then we will have a devil babu and i dont want adevil baby. i wabt obtsller

oatel

love

The gist of that is that I was sorry my partner wasn't feeling well, and that maybe I should join a coven of witches to learn magic to help him. However, then I would be dancing naked and get raped by the devil and end up with a devil baby. But I didn't want a devil baby, I wanted lobster. Or oatmeal.

Yah, Ambien doesn't help me get much rest, even if I think I am sleeping.

Edited by dedoubt, 12 May 2011 - 09:13 AM.

The crazy: Bipolar disorder 1 (rapid cycling, with psychosis), personality disorder (NOS), PTSD, ADD, uppity

The pills: None. Mutually agreed upon with my pdoc as the best choice for now.

"All at once is what eternity is." Kenneth Patchen

#13 The Emperor

The Emperor

Is there a hole for me to get sick in?

• Pip
  • 3728 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:20 AM

At 15mg, Remeron literally made me feel like I was stoned. Eating everything in sight and all. It only lasted the first few doses, but I thought that was weird.

What the docs wrote down about my Crazy: Bipolar II, Some anxiety issue
The pills they give me to fix this shit: Lamictal 175mg, clonazepam 1mg , Trileptal 600mg
Pills that did NOT fix this shit: Sertraline, Buspirone, Mirtazipine, Paroxetine, Gabapentin, Effexor XR, Lorazepam, Cymbalta(twice), Zolpidem, Bupropion XL, Pristiq, Fluoxetine, Vistaril, Lexapro, Celexa, Trazodone, Geodon

Pills that worked well enough but side effects were total shit so I stopped: Abilify, Lithium, valium

sun moon stars rain

#14 dedoubt

dedoubt

• Pip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:05 AM

At 15mg, Remeron literally made me feel like I was stoned.

Same thing for me with gabapentin. For about a week after I started taking it, I just felt stoned and mellow. Not hungry, though. With each increase, for awhile, I had the same effect. Now it doesn't do that, and it's a shame, because it's my only way to get that feeling without smoking weed.

The crazy: Bipolar disorder 1 (rapid cycling, with psychosis), personality disorder (NOS), PTSD, ADD, uppity

#15 rowen

rowen

Bringin' Sexy Back

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1932 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:09 PM

I felt stoned on the whole two weeks I was on Remeron. Kind of like smoking pot without the paranoia. It wasn't terribly unpleasant, but it made driving difficult. And probably stupid.
I have been every flavor of Bipolar, and have now come back to Mood Disorder NOS. Heh. Also, OCD and working on AvPD
Old issues: ED NOS
Meds - Lamictal 200mg, Effexor XR 150mg, lithium 900 mg, trazodone PRN, Ativan PRN
Old meds - Lexapro, Remeron, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta/Seroquel, Abilify, Geodon/Ambien, Lunesta, Sonata/Klonopin

May all beings be free from all pain and suffering.

I am not a doctor. Keep that in mind.

#16 Random Rabbit

Random Rabbit

Snowflake in a Meme Storm

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:47 PM

Clonazepam is a potent anxiolytic. I got the hypersalivation side effect very strongly and would drool on myself and not care. To this day my saliva glands are larger than they were before I trialled the drug. Before I took clonazepam I could not gleek (http://en.wikipedia....itting#Gleeking) and now it happens regularly by accident.

Edited by Random Rabbit, 12 May 2011 - 05:48 PM.

Dx: Bipolar aspie with pediatric onset and late diagnosis
Rx: Zyprexa Zydis, diazepam, bupropion SR, diazepam PRN, methocarbamol PRN, naproxen

When something goes wrong

I’m the first to admit it

I’m the first to admit it

But the last one to know

When something goes right

Oh, it’s likely to lose me

It’s apt to confuse me

It’s such an unusual sight

- Paul Simon

#17 LilacOutsideMyWindow

LilacOutsideMyWindow

at this point in my life

• Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:01 PM

When I went up to 200mg lamotrigine, I started having word issues. I'd try to type a word and it's homophone would come out. Or the worst one, I was trying to type "house" and it came out "sound" - three times in a row. At the time, I was helping a friend with a psychology paper and we just cracked up proofing my parts, because of all the errors. Thankfully that has worn off (or else I'm still doing it and not noticing....)
Hell, I just want to live happily ever after every now and then - Jimmy Buffet

Dx: Nov '09 = BPI (years before GAD, '08 PMDD)
Rx: Lamotrigine 200mg, Abilify 5mg, Pristiq 100mg, Warfarin (dose varies)
Other stuff: D3

Previous Rx: Zyprexa, Seroquel, Trileptal, Diltiazem (for chest pain)

#18 Guest_Vapourware_*

Guest_Vapourware_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:25 PM

When I was on ziprasidone, for some reason I developed an aversion to chicken. I couldn't eat chicken, it was like I could suddenly taste something terrible in the meat and I was completely turned off. I was really disappointed because before I started the drug, chicken was one of my favourite meats. Now that I'm off the drug, I can eat chicken again :)

It definitely wasn't a side effect that was noted in the PI sheet!

#19 dedoubt

dedoubt

• Pip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:56 PM

When I went up to 200mg lamotrigine, I started having word issues.

Me too! Homophones, transposing written letters, not being able to read at times because the letters would jitterbug. Verbally, it was just as bad-- saying the wrong word for something and not noticing at all until I realized the person I would be talking to would be looking at me funny. I still do that, actually, so I don't know if it was triggered by the lamotrogine or just intensified. It may not seem like a terrible side effect, but in addition to the fact that it wasn't working, I had a terrible tremor, and other stuff I can't remember, it just didn't make sense to stay on it.

#20 That Girl

That Girl

• Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:30 AM

My recent Lexapro increase made me feel like my senses were split apart for a few days. That was pretty weird. Like if I tried to use too many senses at once, they would overload. It wore off & my senses are back to cooperating with each other again, so now I can laugh about it. :)

Something strange I've noticed about most ADs I've taken (the effective ones anyway) is that in a sense, I can feel them yanking me back up/ through every level I spiralled down through. Seems it takes me a long time to get that far down, so I don't notice it in the same way because it's spread out over more time. But the AD seems to drag me up faster than I go down - so I'm more aware of it. Ugh, that's a hard one to describe - I wish I was super artsy, because a visual would explain it better I think! But it feels a bit psychdelic to me (or, if I could paint it, it may look a bit psychadelic!) For me, this is a side effect that sort of helps me deal with all other side effects (the temporary ones anyway) because I can view them as just another level I have to pass through on my way back up.
~~

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.