melatonin

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 danceintherain

danceintherain

• Pip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:38 PM

Anyone had any bad side effects or symptoms as a result of taking melatonin for sleep?

It seems to help a lot, but I'm trying to figure out if there's anything I should watch for and/or if it could be causing some of hte current symptoms (less likely).
bipolar I ish. Used to have some ptsd-like crap, but that's resolved.

current RXs: Ativan (1 mg), Lamictal (300mg, split); WellbutrinXL (150mg); geodon (20mgs w/ food). Also levothyroxine (75 mcg), levosertralizine, and
birth control.

Past Rxs: zoloft (like a sugar pill); lexapro (hit an akathesia problem or something else nasty like that); seroquel; ambien; sonata (all worked at different points in time, just changed for different reasons); effexorXR (wonderful for helping to yank me out of an episode; stopped after a few years b/c it seemed to be causing some agitation).

#2 Bionic Duelist

Bionic Duelist

Dances with Pills

• Pip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:53 PM

I used it with some success and my son takes it too, I take trazodone now for sleep and AD properties, but I no longer take melatonin anymore. I felt like it wasn't helping me enough. so I stopped, but it definitely helps my son. :D

#3 Philosopher

Philosopher

Autodidact

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:18 PM

No. It's natural, so I don't think negative, direct side effects are extremely likely.
I take it as part of my PM cocktail: Melatonin, Trazadone, Benadryl
Existence precedes essence.
Interests: Music, 日本語, Philosophy, Psychology, Genetics, History, Anthropology, Biology, Science in general, Literature, Linguistics, Books, Internet, Patterns, Memes...
Dx: Asperger's Syndrome, Sensory Processing Disorder, ADD (Inattentive Type), Anxiety Disorder, Insomnia
Rx: Melatonin (sleep), Trazadone (sleep), Citalopram (anxiety)
Past Rx: Tylenol PM (sleep), Benadryl (sleep)
Fail'd: Focalin (attention), Ritalin (attention), Adderall (attention), Risperidone (sleep)

#4 rowen

rowen

Bringin' Sexy Back

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1932 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:27 PM

I moved this, as it's a supplement.

There are some studies that have showed it may increase depression. That said, my last and current pdocs have recommended it to me as an effective sleep aid for some people.

http://www.umm.edu/a...onin-000315.htm
I have been every flavor of Bipolar, and have now come back to Mood Disorder NOS. Heh. Also, OCD and working on AvPD
Old issues: ED NOS
Meds - Lamictal 200mg, Effexor XR 150mg, lithium 900 mg, trazodone PRN, Ativan PRN
Old meds - Lexapro, Remeron, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta/Seroquel, Abilify, Geodon/Ambien, Lunesta, Sonata/Klonopin

May all beings be free from all pain and suffering.

I am not a doctor. Keep that in mind.

#5 dedoubt

dedoubt

• Pip
  • 1540 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:47 PM

I have known people that have taken it, and it seemed to help somewhat, though a few people told me they had weird dreams. My 87 year old friend took it the other night because of his friend's advice, and had a horrible night. The way he described it, it sounds like night terrors or extremely vivid nightmares. He wasn't sure if he was awake or asleep, may have had a really bad run in with his tenant, but isn't sure, and was looking terrible when I got there in the morning. Terrible enough that I did a careful look-over to see if I should get him to a doctor.

My anatomy & physiology teacher (a retired chiropracter) told me that he recommends that nobody ever take it, because certain people are at risk for a really bad reaction (I can't tell you what that is without digging through stacks of notebooks-- whatever it was, it is a physical reaction that can lead to death). I prefer to use sleep aids that my pdoc is familiar with, so that I know that I won't have any messed up interactions.

this is a line of white text so i can have a return here because i can't figure out how else to do it
The crazy: Bipolar disorder 1 (rapid cycling, with psychosis), personality disorder (NOS), PTSD, ADD, uppity

The pills: 1-5 mg trifluoperazine PRN (tapered off everything else-- mutually agreed upon with my pdoc as the best choice for now-- take a wild guess why... or don't)

"All at once is what eternity is." Kenneth Patchen

#6 shimmeree

shimmeree

• Pip
  • 709 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:06 AM

it helped me for sleep, but increased the intensity of my nightmares.

Dx: major depression, C-PTSD. (309.81, 296.3X), self- harm, alcohol abuse
Rx: 225 mg venlafaxine HCL (currently titrating up to 300 mg), 900 mg gabapentin AM, 900 mg gabapentin PM, 50 mg trazodone
past Rx: Paxil, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, clonazepam, lorazepam

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being. ~ Carl Jung
We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses. ~ Carl Jung

#7 ldo

ldo

• Pip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:26 PM

I've read that a small dose often works better than a big dose. But you have to break up the pills to get a small dose because nobody seems to sell less than 3mg (if memory serves), and according to what I read (long ago) you want to take less than a milligram. Forgive me if I've got the units wrong. The idea is you take a bit several hours (two? three? I forget) and it helps to get you on a regular sleep cycle. Possibly helps but effect seems mild for me.
dx:
dysthymia, ADD (mostly inattentive)
(dysthymia well treated, ADD not so much)
rx:
dexedrine 5mg three times/day, sorta
back on Prozac, alternating 5 and 7.5mg/day
150mg bupropion sr (generic Welbutrin) daily
clonidine for sleep, I forget how much
various heart/bp/cholesterol meds

#8 justme04

justme04

• Pip
  • 443 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:56 AM

I personally didn't have any negative side effects from melantonin, but like shimeree, i had some nightmares/ really out there dreams while taking it...
Imperfection is beauty. Madness is genius. It is better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring

No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness

"You can pick your friends. You can pick your nose. But you can't pick your friend's nose."

#9 tryp

tryp

DBT = Diary Card Bingo

• Inmate
  • 6432 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:13 AM

No. It's natural, so I don't think negative, direct side effects are extremely likely.
I take it as part of my PM cocktail: Melatonin, Trazadone, Benadryl

Just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it can't cause side effects. There are many natural substances out there that can do all kinds of wacky shit to your body. Some illegal substances, hormone replacement, alternative remedies. They can be just as dangerous as something that comes from a lab, if not more so.

On the subject of melatonin, I took it once and started to freak out hardcore about half an hour later. Could have been a coincidence, but I haven't tried it again since.

Edited by tryp, 05 July 2011 - 10:14 AM.

Diag-nonsense: complex PTSD w/ recurrent depression
Tx: Lamictal (250) + prazosin (7.5) + therapy

#10 saveyoursanity

saveyoursanity

Sister Hand Grenade of Enlightened Compassion

• Inmate
  • 1960 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:50 PM

I've read that a small dose often works better than a big dose. But you have to break up the pills to get a small dose because nobody seems to sell less than 3mg (if memory serves), and according to what I read (long ago) you want to take less than a milligram.

This is what I've heard too. (Bolding in the next quote mine.)

There is currently no recommended dose for melatonin supplements. Different people will have different responses to its effects. Lower doses appear to work better in people who are especially sensitive. Higher doses may cause anxiety and irritability.

The best approach for any condition is to begin with very low doses of melatonin. Keep the dose close to the amount that our bodies normally produce (< 0.3 mg per day).

from Melatonin @ the University of Maryland Medical Center

Edited by saveyoursanity, 05 July 2011 - 03:50 PM.

CAPS LOCK IS HOW I FEEL INSIDE ALL THE TIME.

"There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution."

Dx and Psych Rx in profile.

I am NOT a medical professional, merely experienced from a consumer perspective.
I strongly urge fact checking with your own research and consulting an actual medical professional.

#11 danceintherain

danceintherain

• Pip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:10 PM

Crap! I was going to ask about this and forgot that I had this issue earlier. I've been having some increased depression symptoms and I am wondering, based on some of the info above, if the melatonin could be contributed. Ill stop it for a bit and see what happens.

Sigh.

current RXs: Ativan (1 mg), Lamictal (300mg, split); WellbutrinXL (150mg); geodon (20mgs w/ food). Also levothyroxine (75 mcg), levosertralizine, and
birth control.

Past Rxs: zoloft (like a sugar pill); lexapro (hit an akathesia problem or something else nasty like that); seroquel; ambien; sonata (all worked at different points in time, just changed for different reasons); effexorXR (wonderful for helping to yank me out of an episode; stopped after a few years b/c it seemed to be causing some agitation).

#12 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:28 PM

Yes, melatonin can contribute to depression, possibly, you may need to ask pdoc for something else. Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#13 danceintherain

danceintherain

• Pip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:45 PM

Yes, melatonin can contribute to depression, possibly, you may need to ask pdoc for something else. Anna

I do have a something else actually (triazolam/halcion)...I was just augmenting for a bit. I'll try going back down to just the triazolam, but if it isn't enough, contact my pdoc. Thanks! I wish I'd remembered this post from earlier...

birth control.

#14 Tarquin

Tarquin

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:42 PM

My pdoc is really big on melatonin. I take it for sleep when I feel like I need it. Also, she has found from a lot of patients that a small dose during the day can help with anxiety. It doesn't hit you as fast or as hard as something like Xanax, but it lasts longer. It's worked for me, but you have to make sure you're going to be active later or you'll just want to doze off. If I use it during the day I don't take any at night.

That being said, since I've been taking it my moods have gotten more volatile even though it can take the edge off of anxiety. I have no idea if it's being caused by that or something else. I'll have to talk about it next time I see my pdoc though.
Dx: bipolar NOS
Rx: lithium 1200mg, lamotrigine 200mg, Oleptro 300mg, Abilify 10mg

#15 PetSoundsFan

PetSoundsFan

• Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:23 PM

I take 10 mg of it to help me sleep each night. My pdoc wanted me to start backing down off my dosage of temazepam by replacing one capsule of it with one of melatonin and try to cycle down to maybe where I'm only taking melatonin. We'll see how it works. So far so good.

#16 crazy_cat_lady

crazy_cat_lady

Warning: Does not play well with others

• Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:32 AM

I take melatonin when travelling to a significantly different time zone, as travel tends to trigger hypomania and subsequent depression. Not fun when I'm away from the safety of my home. It also helps significantly with jet lag. I took small capsules that my mum gave me and noticed no side effects during my most recent trip to Europe with her. My mum has been taking it for almost 10 years to help herself sleep (she used to sleep 4 hours a night) and swears by it. She claims to have had no negative side effects.

Dx: Bipolar Type II | Borderline PD | Social Anxiety Disorder | PTSD | ED-NOS
Currently in remission: substance abuse, self-injury
Mx: Lamictal 300mg, Zoloft 50mg, Klonopin .5mg,  Ativan 2mg PRN, on waiting list for DBT program (1-2 yr wait)

#17 Blart752

Blart752

Meh

• Pip
  • 575 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

I think it may work better if you take it on an empty stomach. In my experience, I have hallucinated if i ate alot beforehand and then took it.

Edited by Blart752, 14 March 2012 - 02:07 PM.

crocker's rules

dx: Mood disorder NOS, multiple somatic issues., insomnia, fatigue, neck/back problems (sometimes spasm) under fibromyalgia(pain) treatment, asthma,

experience in: zyprexa, lexapro.

#18 wheezy

wheezy

Fuckup

• Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

for me melatonin has been amazing when i was first prescribed it the doc said it was very unlikely to give me any side effects just possibly more intense dreams but i never noticed even that, i dont think it has ever triggered any depressive symptoms for me

ive been told to take it 2 hours before i plan to go to sleep, i sleep soundly and almost exactly 8 hours later wake up feeling refreshed :P without it i cant sleep for more than 3 hours at a time, however i seem to be very sensitive to all types of meds so although i have quite bad sleep problems i have never needed stronger 'proper' sleeping pills to help me - the first time i took melatonin after half and hour i passed out on the floor for 13 hours!

Edited by wheezy, 14 March 2012 - 02:39 PM.

Everything Ends

#19 Bueler

Bueler

• Pip
  • 654 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:26 PM

My doctor actually led the team at NIMH in identifying and treating Seasonal Affective Disorder and pioneered the use of light therapy, and he says start with 1mg, no more than 3mg 1/2 hour before your intended bedtime.

The body actually produces micrograms (less than 1mg) naturally, so these ridiculous dosages aren't really recommended he says.

DX: Depressive Disorder NOS, Grand-Mal Seizures
RX:
Wellbutrin 300mg, Zoloft 100mg, Lamictal 200mg, Keppra 1,000mg
PRN: Xanax 1.0mg, Ambien 10mg

#20 Bueler

Bueler

• Pip
  • 654 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

My pdoc is really big on melatonin. I take it for sleep when I feel like I need it. Also, she has found from a lot of patients that a small dose during the day can help with anxiety. It doesn't hit you as fast or as hard as something like Xanax, but it lasts longer. It's worked for me, but you have to make sure you're going to be active later or you'll just want to doze off. If I use it during the day I don't take any at night.

That being said, since I've been taking it my moods have gotten more volatile even though it can take the edge off of anxiety. I have no idea if it's being caused by that or something else. I'll have to talk about it next time I see my pdoc though.

Be careful with this. You'll confuse your biological clock if you use melatonin at non-regular times. It can be useful for shift-workers, for example, or people crossing time zones to reset it, but if you take it willy nilly, it's really going to confuse your sleep-wake cycle, which makes it not worth it for anxiety. Best to try something else for daytime anxiety.

DX: Depressive Disorder NOS, Grand-Mal Seizures
RX:
Wellbutrin 300mg, Zoloft 100mg, Lamictal 200mg, Keppra 1,000mg
PRN: Xanax 1.0mg, Ambien 10mg

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.