Seroquel XR vs Seroquel

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lauraishere

lauraishere

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:29 AM

My psychiatrist gave me a week's worth of samples of Seroquel XR. I've been on the regular Seroquel for maybe 5 months. He said after the trial, I could get whichever one I wanted refilled.

What have your experiences been with Seroquel vs. Seroquel XR?

In the first few days, I've found my irritability has gone WAAAAY up, along with more sporadic tearfulness for no real reason. I don't know if that relates to the switch or not, though. With XR I've been moderately drowsy all day, but ironically the regular Seroquel didn't leave me "hung over" at all once I adjusted to it. Should I go back to the regular or give the XR a bit more of a try? I am also on just a tiny dose (100mg) as an add-on to lithium (1200mg) treatment.

dx: bipolar ii
rx: 1200mg lithium er, 60mg propranolol, 5mg lexapro, .5mg klonopin prn

past dx: major depression, generalized anxiety, anorexia nervosa, and add
past rx: zoloft, effexor, adderall and adderall xr, vistaril, seroquel xr, ativan, seroquel ir, ambien, geodon

#2 tryp

tryp

DBT = Diary Card Bingo

• Inmate
  • 6757 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:37 AM

I take a little bit of both - 300 XR in the morning to keep the daytime ickiness away, and 300 IR at night to help me sleep. It's sort of unusual, but it's the only way I get even coverage.

Anyway, having been on both, I do prefer the XR for daytime use, because it doesn't wear off on me. That said, if the IR feels fine for you, there's no sense switching to the XR just for the sake of it. Were you having any problems with the IR that your doctor was trying to address by switching you to XR, or did he just do it to see if things would be any better?

Diag-nonsense: complex PTSD w/ recurrent depression
Tx: Lamictal (250) + prazosin (7.5) + "therapy"

#3 lauraishere

lauraishere

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:26 PM

I was doing well on the IR but in our last appointment described getting "knocked out" at night. I think he took this as a negative and so offered the XR. I guess I didn't realize how much I appreciated the knockout and thought I could get more even coverage with XR. But I think the sleep is important because without that, there's no chance at a good day anyway.

past rx: zoloft, effexor, adderall and adderall xr, vistaril, seroquel xr, ativan, seroquel ir, ambien, geodon

#4 tryp

tryp

DBT = Diary Card Bingo

• Inmate
  • 6757 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:07 PM

If IR is good for you, you may as well stick with it. To be honest, at 100 mg, you're probably not getting too much more than sleep and anxiety effects. maybe an AD lift. Mood stabilization doses are usually quite a bit higher.

Diag-nonsense: complex PTSD w/ recurrent depression
Tx: Lamictal (250) + prazosin (7.5) + "therapy"

#5 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

I would stay stick with the IR. Good sleep is important, and can help with mood. Especially if you are feeling daytime tiredness with the xr, that's going to impact you. I found on seroquel that the sleepiness never went away, so I wouldn't think that giving the xr more time would necessarily cause that side effect to go away.

IR is also cheaper, which is a good thing. xr is great for those who need daytime coverage, but if you aren't findng that you need that, there's no real point switching, especially if you aren't hung over the next day.

I miss the joys of ir seroquel and sleep, now that I'm on saphris. Heh.

Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#6 enlightened_plutonian

enlightened_plutonian

The boundary between reality and delusion is currently out of the office

• Pip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 03:37 PM

I'm on the XR, so I take it all at night. For me this makes it easier (which was why pdoc chose this) in not having to remember to take tablets at several times in the day. Plus I tend to be busy anyway so taking tablets in the daytime would be inconvenient for me. I have a bit of an issue taking medication when I'm around people and I'd rather take it all at home. I do get a little sedation, but not that much any more. But that could well be that I'm on 600mg and the sedation does wear off at higher doses.

If I was on the IR then I would have to take it several times a day, because I pretty much need constant coverage with what I have.

But I guess it is down to individual preference.
Current diagnosis = psychosis NOS
History = depression (remission since April 2009), SI (remission since April 2009), alcohol abuse (remission since March 2007)
Past false dx = BPD (only symptom I had was SI), schizophrenia (I was very sleep deprived at the time)
Also have diabetes and pain issues (undiagnosed) and hayfever (April - June)

Current meds = Seroquel 800mg XR (as 400 in the morning and 400 in the night)
Also on insulin and Microgynon

I am not deluded, I just don't agree with your reality!

#7 lauraishere

lauraishere

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:58 AM

Yeah,I think all it does it make me sleep but for now, okay. He was going to originally but me on 300mg but 100mg seemed so intense to me that we stopped there. Also, in my teenage years I dealt with ED/still have strange habits so I would be too fearful/non-compliant with much more anyway. I think I will stick with the IR.

Thanks for the responses!

#8 AnxietyGirl74

AnxietyGirl74

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:55 PM

I take up to 75 mgs IR per day and 400 mgs XR per day. However, my anxiety is so bad that I need coverage all day long. If you don't and your sleep is better on the IR, I would definitely go with that. Just my opinion, hope it helps.

Diagnosis: OCD, Panic without Agoraphobia, General Anxiety, Depression
Current Psych Meds: Zoloft 200 mgs, Klonopin 1 mg twice a day, Abilify 10 mg, Wellbutrin XL 450 mg
Other Meds: Flonase, Zyflo, Topamax 400 mgs, Depakote ER 1500 mgs, Relpax as needed, albuteral, Symbicort

#9 jadedmoonbeam

jadedmoonbeam

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:59 AM

I switched from Seroquel to Seroquel XR about 3 months ago at the 200mg level when I ran outof insurance and my dr gave me samples of the XR. I only took it at night and I definitely didn't have the hangover feeling in the morning but I didn't have the knock out feeling at night either.

#10 lauraishere

lauraishere

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:56 PM

hmm...ive been back on the IR and wish there was a perfect world where the knockout could happen, but the affects could also spread out. i dont like taking prn ativan when im not in a full blown panic attack :/ but sometimes just general anxiety makes it difficult to function

mostly i just wish an ssri would work on me and not trigger awful mania! these drugs do a great job but their side affects have been so harsh adfklsdbhdfkj,lkj

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.