How fast does Risperdal start working?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 snicky

snicky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:31 AM

I just started taking Risperdal (1mg at bedtime) two nights ago. I have no psychotic symptoms, but pdoc prescribed it to calm down my anxiety (a big part of my Bipolar II) and as a mood stabilizer.

Is it possible that it's already helping me? I feel so much more steady and calm and even-tempered that I hardly recognize myself. Whenever I start getting better, I'm always afraid it's just another rapid-cycling mood swing change (and that I might start feeling "too good," you know?)

Thanks for any feedback. Dang, if only this stuff didn't make you so groggy in the morning ... even though I didn't take the trazodone at bedtime last night, I feel like I'm moving through molasses this morning ...
Karen

Bipolar II, rapid cycling --  taking 60mg per day Cymbalta for depression plus 25mg Lamictal per day (movin' on up gradually on the dosage) and 1mg Risperdal at bedtime as "mood stabilizers"

"I've been trying for some time to develop a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence."  -- Garry Trudeau

"Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being."  -- Elvis Costello

"There had been abuse in my family, but it was mostly musical in nature ..."  --  from A Mighty Wind

#2 Halation

Halation

Walking EMP Incident

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 377 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:51 AM

with APs, you generally always do feel something the next day, even if it's just 'damn, i feel hungover'. it's quite possible you're already experiencing some beneficial effects, but it'll be a week or so until you're at full throttle. glad it's working out for you, though.

incidentally, the zombification factor often does start to fade in a few weeks. often it does a good job of knocking people out, so you may find you won't need the traz. if you handle caffeine okay, you might consider an extra latte or two in the mornings until it doesn't hit you quite as hard. should the morning hangover start getting irksome, you can always ask your pdoc about splitting the dose, too.

management will not be held responsible for damage to personal items,
including handheld electronic devices and feelings.

not a healer, not a dealer, not a professional of any kind. bear that in mind.

#3 antipeople

antipeople

the littlest tweak

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:20 AM

Risperdal usually starts working 1-2 hours after you take it.
DX: Depersonalization and Derealization Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder - NOS
RX: 200mgs Lamictal, 1mg Klonopin PRN
ME: 24, Photojournalist, Traveler, Pilot, Massachusetts Resident, Fire Performer, Anachronism, Sailor, Traveler, Documentarian, Writer, Army Girlfriend, Mental Patient

If you have questions about any of the above, feel free to contact me via email or instant messenger.

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:32 AM

Just a quick response as I am also on Risperdal 1mg at bed time.

First, the caffeine idea, albeit an obvious fix to the hungoverness, is not a good one. With risperdal you are supposed to drink as little caffeine as possible. To drink none would be the best as caffeine lowers the amount of risperdal in your system thus diminishing it's effects greatly. Especially for those on as low a dose as you and I, this can make it's effects non-existent.

Second, as you posted over two weeks ago I am hoping those hung over feelings are gone. Mine were gone after two weeks or so.

#5 justme

justme

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:56 AM

i was on risperdal 3 mg in the morning and 3 in the evening.
it seemed to start working pretty quickly for the things that were
going on with me and never left me tired or groggy. it was an addon to other meds i was taking so i am sure it was a combined effect. but i really did like this med.
"support science not superstition"

#6 rainbow_tears

rainbow_tears

anxious_frog's go 'rivit rivit valium rivit rivit'

• Pip
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:17 PM

i was on 5mg of rispiridol and within a hour or 2 i was like a zombie, it did nothing else for me, but as i have a sleep phobia it kinda helped.

Hope its of benefit for you
x
* turn to page 1709 in the DSM book and you will find a listing for :
A SURVIVOR! *

notes: I MUST try and remember to breathe!

Posted Image

#7 Echo

Echo

oh well, whatever, nevermind.

• Pip
  • 252 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 07:40 AM

PS. That unregisterd guest comment was me. ;) I always forget to log in.
i'm sick, i'm twisted, i'm broke and you can't fix it.

#8 Ben

Ben

• Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 09:54 PM

I was delusional and hella paranoid when I started taking risperdal.  Within a week the delusions were fading away and I finally had the relief that I desperately needed.  I was on it for almost nine months, and it only got better and better.  I'm on abilify now, though, because my jaw started tightening up and my mouth was opening involuntarily.

Thanks for making me sane again, risperdal!

#9 Becca

Becca

that raving slut who keeps the till

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 973 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 01:48 PM

wait- echo- someone-

where can i look to find out more about the risperdal-caffeine connection?

I don't usually drink caffeine- I have insomnia issues, and whenever they pop up I cut out caffeine entirely.  But lately I've been having hypersomnia stuff, falling asleep ALL THE TIME, so I'm allowing myself diet coke again. 

But I <3 my risperdal and I don't want to do anything to hurt it.
I'm a ghostwriter for an ocean in a shell from the poison well.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.