just switched from concerta to adderall / klonopin ran out

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 carlm78

carlm78

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:25 PM

wanted to relate my experience of the past few days to see if i can get anyone else's experience on switching from concerta or another stim to adderall - i just switched over and it's been very effective, more than a little rough but i think it should settle eventually. (obviously i will be discussing this with my doc as well.)

i see my doc every 2 weeks. so when 2 weeks ago we met and i was describing the amount of red bull i drank per day, and diet cokes, in addition to my 36mg concerta, and that i still manage to binge eat on occasion, she determined that since i'd been on the drug for 4 years, it had probably stopped working. so she recommended i try adderall. so. last thursday i came in in the morning and had not taken my concerta and was ready to start trying it out. she said that it is too risky to start immediately on the XR version otherwise i'd have a "very bad day" if the drug did not sit well with me. so i was prescribed the IR version, 10mg, and she told me to try it 3x per day, or more, 5x per day max if i needed to.

the dosing is hard to pin down but i'm getting the hang of it, i htink. for the first day i took the first one, felt really calm, collected, productive, attentive and like myself again, not staring out the window and secretly surfing wikipedia as i had been when concerta stopped working. the come down on IR is weird. it reminds me of coming down off cocaine (i am sober from all alcohol and non-prescribed drugs as of october 2009). i can start to feel it wear off before the 4 hours my doc indicated. i am finding it to be more like 3-3.5 or sooner.

the first two days i was on 40mg and i felt really great, like a new person, i wish i had just mentioned that i thought my concerta wasn't working anymore earlier. being a sober person in the program i am always weird about bringing up meds with my doctor because i don't want to be asking for something that's illicit or taboo in the program (i'm getting over that).

so the first two days with 10mg x 4, the first night i only got to sleep (5 hours of it) because i took my full dose of 1mg klonopin. and in the morning i did not feel drowsy or hungover. then friday i realized my klonopin was almost out. only one and a half pills left (0.75mg). i called the pharmacy around 2 to refill it and it was out of refills. i hate it when that happens. so they had to call the doctor. saturday morning after my usual AA meeting...... no klonopin. doctor had not filled it yet. for some reason i just thought, OK, i will tough it out until tuesday when she's approved it and i have the long weekend to work through this.

well. yesterday was my third day on the IR. i took 3 x 10mg and 1 x 5mg. spaced out by about 3.5 hours. only problem? i didn't sleep without any klonopin on hand. the last 5mg i took was at 6pm. i could not naturally fall asleep until 3:30am. i wasn't restless either - i downloaded music, drafted some work emails, did some vacation research, and finally went to sleep.

today - i woke up at 7:30am, just 4 hours of sleep, i wasn't tired either. i just rested in bed just a few hours in the morning and started today's dose at 9. however i had to go to a movie with my young nieces & nephews and left my pills in the car and took my 2nd dose 5 hours after the first. and in the half hour before i'd taken that 2nd dose i felt dizzy, out of it, incredibly tired, dazed, like jet lag. but i took the 2nd dose and popped back. then that 2nd dose wore off faster than i thought and i was nearly asleep at 4:30 so i took my final dose for today at 5pm. so today is 10 mg x 3. i am hoping i can fall asleep tonight.

so all in all, adderall is clearing up a lot in my head. i sat at my parents' old piano and played piano for a good hour. my phone rang four times today, friends calling who i would have usually always avoided, and i today i just leapt into it. but the comedown of the IR just sucks sucks sucks. and i either feel fine or i feel like a zombie. so....... i guess there's no real questions here, except, any similar experiences would be appreciated? i am hoping to just be able to ride the ups and downs of the IR doses until my next visit when i can get the XR dose. but i just hope the XR can last all day and doesn't get that weird crash.

final point: also now my body is so much more sensitive to caffeine that i am thinking i have to quit all caffeine products entirely.
CM78, recovering marijuana addict & alcoholic, sober 10-18-2009
DX:
adult ADD / generalized anxiety / depression
current RX:
adderall IR, 40mg (15/15/10 or 20/10/10)
lexapro 20mg
50 mg topamax
50 mg lamictal
0.5 mg klonopin 2x per day as needed

previous meds at diferent points over the last 16 years:
concerta 36mg; strattera 25mg; wellbutrin XL 450mg; abilify 5mg; trazodone 50mg at night; prozac 40mg
xanax 0.5mg 2x per day as needed; ativan 1mg 2x per day as needed

#2 saveyoursanity

saveyoursanity

Sister Hand Grenade of Enlightened Compassion

• Inmate
  • 2185 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:43 AM

I had a similar roughness & swift wear off with Adderall. I eventually ended up on 60 mgs, spaced kinda weird. Trying to get Adderall XR covered now.

CAPS LOCK IS HOW I FEEL INSIDE ALL THE TIME.

"There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution."

Dx and Psych Rx in profile.

I am NOT a medical professional, merely experienced from a consumer perspective.
I strongly urge fact checking with your own research and consulting an actual medical professional.

#3 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:26 AM

Well, don't forget the fact that you are missing a significant amount of klonopin, so that's going to add to the overall weirdness (IMO). I mean, yeah.

I prefer XR to IR adderall, but I'm not that big a fan of adderall generally, I find it kinda rough. That being said, you will probably find less up and downs on the xr than the Ir, at least to an extent.

There isn't any real reason why your doc might not switch you to xr over the phone if you are liking the drug overall. It's not a huge difference. If it were me, I might call and see if the doc would be willing to switch sooner... you have to f/u anyway for the klonopin, yes?

Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#4 carlm78

carlm78

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:12 PM

oh looking back at my post - i meant i took the last 5mg of adderall in early evening and didn't sleep till 3:30am. i didn't take any klonopin that night, i ddin't have any. my usual nightly dose of klonopin (if i even take it) is 0.25-0.5 mg. but with my first 2 nights on adderall IR i had to take 0.5-1mg to sleep. last night my dad gave me one of his triazolam 0.25mg to go to sleep at 11pm, which should have knocked me out, and i *still* woke up at 2:30am, but fell back asleep until 6:45am.

the other thing that could be happening is that i am having caffeine withdrawal. i used to drink up to 20oz of sugar free red bull AND 4-5 cans of diet coke every day. so..... cutting caffeine completely is probably giving me a lot of those dizzy headaches too.

i will probably call her tomorrow and see about getting on XR sooner. since it's a paper only prescription i will have to go there and pick it up but that's not an issue. my only worry is that some people are writing on here that even XR poops out after 5-6 hours. but maybe i could split 30mg up into two 15s per day.... ? anyone have experience doing that?

Well, don't forget the fact that you are missing a significant amount of klonopin, so that's going to add to the overall weirdness (IMO). I mean, yeah.

I prefer XR to IR adderall, but I'm not that big a fan of adderall generally, I find it kinda rough. That being said, you will probably find less up and downs on the xr than the Ir, at least to an extent.

There isn't any real reason why your doc might not switch you to xr over the phone if you are liking the drug overall. It's not a huge difference. If it were me, I might call and see if the doc would be willing to switch sooner... you have to f/u anyway for the klonopin, yes?

Anna

Edited by carlm78, 30 May 2011 - 01:13 PM.

DX:
current RX:
lexapro 20mg
50 mg topamax
50 mg lamictal

concerta 36mg; strattera 25mg; wellbutrin XL 450mg; abilify 5mg; trazodone 50mg at night; prozac 40mg

#5 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:09 PM

You can split it up to twice daily dosing if you want.

Don't divide the capsules though. They're a mix of IR and xr and it's impossible to get the proportions right if you split the caps. Ask for two doses of 15 instead. Probably, you were planning on that, just wanted to make sure.

I found the XR adderall lasted me about 8 hrs or so... .just didn't like it much. Was only on 20 m.g., I think.

Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#6 carlm78

carlm78

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:19 PM

Now I'm doing 40mg and taking 20mg in the morning and 10mg at noon and 10mg at 4pm. it is working well except I'm slightly speedy in the morning, but I get the nice effect that I actually get naturally tired at night and haven't needed a Klonopin for sleep 2 nights in a row which is a good thing as I'd rather not take it if I don't have to.

If I go on the XR and take two 20 mg pills in the morning will that end up lasting longer? Wondering if I really need to switch. seeing my PDoc next week Fri.

thanks everyone.
DX:
current RX:
lexapro 20mg
50 mg topamax
50 mg lamictal

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.