Extreme Passenger Anxiety

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ahalo

ahalo

• Pip
  • 587 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:38 PM

I lost my car in February and since then Ive realized my fear of flying is actually a fear of being a passenger. Be it on a plane or in a car or on the bus. I am in a state of panic in every ride. It doesnt matter what I tell myself or what meds I take, I can barely think straight during any ride. Anyone share this "phobia" and or any suggestions? I do tell some people of my fears so they drive carefully but even then when they go the least efficient way I still get horribly anxious.

----0.jpg We don't benefit from ignorance. -Obama, 1/16/13

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry. ~Ernest Hemingy, A Farewell To Arms

#2 The Emperor

The Emperor

Is there a hole for me to get sick in?

• Pip
  • 3688 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:04 PM

Riding in a car is nerve wracking for me as well. You're not alone. Actually, I hate being in control of a vehicle, that's why it's taken me nine years to start learning to drive. However, I find myself even less at ease when I am a passenger than when I am in control. Semis scare the shit out of me.

I don't really have any advice, I would say exposure to the situation, but that hasn't helped me very much. I still freak out when someone else is driving, and I've been a passenger my whole life. It wasn't always like this, but in the past couple of years it's really reared it's head.

I hate it.

What the docs wrote down about my Crazy: Bipolar II, Some anxiety issue
The pills they give me to fix this shit: Lamictal 175mg, clonazepam 1mg , Trileptal 600mg
Pills that did NOT fix this shit: Sertraline, Buspirone, Mirtazipine, Paroxetine, Gabapentin, Effexor XR, Lorazepam, Cymbalta(twice), Zolpidem, Bupropion XL, Pristiq, Fluoxetine, Vistaril, Lexapro, Celexa, Trazodone, Geodon

Pills that worked well enough but side effects were total shit so I stopped: Abilify, Lithium, valium

sun moon stars rain

#3 Mim

Mim

Gentleman loser

• Pip
  • 2137 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:55 PM

I'm sad that I can't be useful, but I am the same way. I don't like riding in cars or buses (though I've never flown), and I have serious anxiety about driving. I don't know why. It's a source of some embarrassment that I haven't managed to force myself to at least learn how and have a valid license in case of emergencies. It used to piss my father off; I couldn't make him understand that it was a couldn't rather than a wouldn't.

Someone suggested to me that I try motorcycle riding. I'm not sure if that would help or not.

"I THINK WE CAN DISPENSE WITH THAT BORING OLD SHIT, DON'T YOU?" Blaine asked.

Dx: Pending new doc assessment
Currently unmedicated

I kept a chain upon my door that would shake the shame of Cain into a blind submission.

#4 LikeMinded

LikeMinded

Too many answers, not enough questions.

• Pip
  • 2154 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:19 AM

Oh gosh... too many people I know have this... quite possibly the majority... or wait, is that due to natural reactions they have in the passenger's seat of my car with the way I drive? :smartass:

Actually, I think what belies this problem is a control issue. I have a mild fear of flying (I go berzerk inside my head when the plane hits turbulence/gets tossed around in the wind otherwise), probably since I don't have much control over the situation, and when the weather takes a turn for the worse, the pilots don't either, for that matter.

The case of having a fear of both driving and being a passenger is interesting, though... I learned to drive at 16 since it was the normal thing to do here in the US, and despite my sensory processing issues and AD/HD (which resulted in me driving into a cornfield at least once, and overrunning a roundabout curb and decimating a tire no less than twice), I've been able to drive defensively enough as to avoid collisions with other vehicles (thus far; knock on aluminum). And all that's not terrible for an 11 year driving history.

And it's quite rightful that semitrucks are fearsome, namely given that they are fairly large. However, I have found semitruck drivers, compared to those who drive normal cars, to be much more skilled and considerate with their vehicles.

Honestly, the only time the prospect of being a driver truly scared me was sometime last year, when my car decided to pull a Toyota on me (i.e., uncontrolled acceleration -- this is amusing, as I drive a Nissan, not a Toyota!). In my case, it was due to my gas pedal getting stuck under a heavy rubber floor mat, and I couldn't get it unstuck with my foot and (travelling at nearly 80MPH by this point) resorted to putting my car in neutral gear, half of my body weight on the brake pedal, and the other half of my body weight judiciously on the parking brake pedal.

Honestly, after that happened, I've realized that it has to be completely natural for any human being to fear travelling at 5-10 (or 100) times the speed they're capable of running...

CAUTION: I'm a graduate computational medicine/allied health information student, and NOT a licensed clinician of any sort in any part of the world.  I can come up with lots of algorithms, generalities, and statistics but cannot provide specific medical advice for you!  You, along with your healthcare provider/pdoc/tdoc/etc. are the best decision makers for what is best!

Me: MDD, AD/HD, Asperger's/HFA/PDD-NOS/WTF, REM behavioral disorder/misc. sleep issues, some variant of PTSD... toss in hypothyroidism, post-meningitis-related Parkinson's disease/tremor, early stage pulmonary hypertension from a connective tissue disorder that wants me dead before age 60, and a few misc. manly hormone issues, and you'll get a few insights on where that PTSD came from.

Now on: Cymbalta, mirtazapine, oxybutynin, clonazepam, lamotrigine, clonidine, levothyroxine, metformin, Testim.  As Velvet Elvis implied, I sound like a freakin' maraca salesman when I go through airport security.

#5 ahalo

ahalo

• Pip
  • 587 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for the responses. Glad to know im not alone.

I actually love to drive. I know this is a control issue because even with good drivers my mind finds something to be anxious about - like directions. Trust is an overall issue with me. Im also scared.to.death of airbags. No reason to be - i never had one in my face.

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry. ~Ernest Hemingy, A Farewell To Arms

#6 LikeMinded

LikeMinded

• Pip
  • 2154 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for the responses. Glad to know im not alone.

I actually love to drive. I know this is a control issue because even with good drivers my mind finds something to be anxious about - like directions. Trust is an overall issue with me. Im also scared.to.death of airbags. No reason to be - i never had one in my face.

I understand your "finding something else to fear" issues, at least when it comes to directions. Though that's mostly when I'm in the car with my dad at the wheel, and he has serious issues finding places (I suppose that's normal once you get to 60, though...).

My mom has the "airbag problem" too. The side of my car (specifically, the side she was sitting in) got backed into by another vehicle just after I parked my car and just before we were about to get out, and even though the other car was going about 3MPH, she thought the side airbag was about to go off and started screaming bloody murder. Of course, the airbag didn't go off, but I had a nice-sized dent in the side of my car and a $500 insurance deductible to pay to get it fixed.

Then again, the woman screams bloody murder 50% of the time for no apparent reason anyways, so I can't draw any conclusions based upon that specific event. :smartass:

Edited by LikeMinded, 30 June 2011 - 01:57 PM.

CAUTION: I'm a graduate computational medicine/allied health information student, and NOT a licensed clinician of any sort in any part of the world.  I can come up with lots of algorithms, generalities, and statistics but cannot provide specific medical advice for you!  You, along with your healthcare provider/pdoc/tdoc/etc. are the best decision makers for what is best!

Me: MDD, AD/HD, Asperger's/HFA/PDD-NOS/WTF, REM behavioral disorder/misc. sleep issues, some variant of PTSD... toss in hypothyroidism, post-meningitis-related Parkinson's disease/tremor, early stage pulmonary hypertension from a connective tissue disorder that wants me dead before age 60, and a few misc. manly hormone issues, and you'll get a few insights on where that PTSD came from.

Now on: Cymbalta, mirtazapine, oxybutynin, clonazepam, lamotrigine, clonidine, levothyroxine, metformin, Testim.  As Velvet Elvis implied, I sound like a freakin' maraca salesman when I go through airport security.

#7 Indigo 'n dye

Indigo 'n dye

• Pip
  • 3667 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:06 PM

I understand your "finding something else to fear" issues, at least when it comes to directions. Though that's mostly when I'm in the car with my dad at the wheel, and he has serious issues finding places (I suppose that's normal once you get to 60, though...).

No. I am older than your father and I have a very good sense of direction and can find places that others 1/2 my age get lost getting to. Ageism is alive and well, eh?

#8 Mim

Mim

Gentleman loser

• Pip
  • 2137 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:49 PM

Know a lot of sixty year-olds with this problem, do you? Rude. Posted Image

My grandma turned eighty-seven this year. She knows every back road in this county and most of them in the counties on all sides of us, to say nothing of the area in Idaho where she grew up. The only reason she no longer drives is that her eyesight and arthritis prevent her from doing so comfortably.

ETA: whoops. Indigo, you beat me to it. :D Oh well.

My uncle owns a trucking company, and he and my dad used to buddy up on long haul runs. I'm comfortable with that world: the haven that is a cabover Pete, what's so grimace-worthy about riding bobtail, and the meaning of the phrase "wall to wall and treetop tall." I am biased. However, speaking broadly, I've found truckers and professional drivers of all sorts to be more courteous and more conscientious of others. They also tend to be politer as truck stop customers; long-haulers were the only group whom I never heard bitch about fuel prices in all the years I worked the truck stop.

There was a string of robberies last winter, 24-hour businesses getting hit in the middle of the night on skeleton crew. As word got around, more and more of our regular drivers--and random long-haulers we'd never seen before--dropped in to assure us at night that their CB radios were on, and we should be sure to shout if we needed anything since they were right out in our parking area.

/off topic. Sorry.

Edited by Oddjob, 30 June 2011 - 04:50 PM.

"I THINK WE CAN DISPENSE WITH THAT BORING OLD SHIT, DON'T YOU?" Blaine asked.

Dx: Pending new doc assessment
Currently unmedicated

I kept a chain upon my door that would shake the shame of Cain into a blind submission.

#9 LikeMinded

LikeMinded

• Pip
  • 2154 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:32 PM

No. I am older than your father and I have a very good sense of direction and can find places that others 1/2 my age get lost getting to. Ageism is alive and well, eh?

Nevermind. My dad's having pre-senility issues I guess you can say. Early senility runs in my family ('early' by Western standards at least -- my parents are originally from India). Plus, I personally started going senile around the age of 22, though that was due to meningitis, but it did give me an insight into the world of dementia.

Do be happy that your wit lasted (and is lasting) longer than that of my father's, or my own, for that matter. :smartass:

Edited by LikeMinded, 02 July 2011 - 10:33 PM.

#10 Indigo 'n dye

Indigo 'n dye

• Pip
  • 3667 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:56 PM

Nevermind. My dad's having pre-senility issues I guess you can say. Early senility runs in my family ('early' by Western standards at least -- my parents are originally from India). Plus, I personally started going senile around the age of 22, though that was due to meningitis, but it did give me an insight into the world of dementia.

Ok, but that neither explains nor excuses your original statement, and I quote you

(I suppose that's normal once you get to 60, though...).

Such broad, sweeping statements need to be thought through before making them. Your statement is ageism at best...insulting, at least.

#11 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:08 AM

The other nice thing about semi truck drivers is they will often stop to help a driver in need. I've experienced this a few times..... out of gas, flat tire (with no replacement) that kind of stuff... they will totally pick you up and drive you to the nearest gas station/mechanic.

If I have to hitchike, I'll take a semi driver any day of the week.

Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#12 LikeMinded

LikeMinded

• Pip
  • 2154 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:55 PM

Ok, but that neither explains nor excuses your original statement, and I quote you

(I suppose that's normal once you get to 60, though...).

Such broad, sweeping statements need to be thought through before making them. Your statement is ageism at best...insulting, at least.

Actually, looking up at that quote, I can't comprehend that I even said it. Especially in that manner. My apologies. :( To be honest, you're definitely quicker on your gun than I am!

#13 eccentrik_drummer_chik

eccentrik_drummer_chik

Arghh......

• Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:39 PM

Being a passenger in a car is definately my biggest phobia, and I know it has reached phobia proportions because I absolutely CAN NOT/WILL NOT be a passenger. The last few times it's had to happen in the last few years I had a panic attack and cried the whole ride. I will go to any lengths to be sure I can be the driver, I just can not face this fear, I know I will die if I have to.

It's definately a control thing, I feel safest if I know I'm in control of the car's trajectory. The underlying fear is a general fear of car crashes (if I just see emergency vehicles ahead on the highway I start to get nauseus), and I guess I believe I'm the only one who can best keep me safe.

It doesn't help that the only accidents I've ever been in were as a passenger. It doesn't help that the first and only time my gf had my youngest son in her car they crashed (not her fault, they weren't hurt). It doesn't help that when my oldest son first left home and used motorcycles for transportation and I was deathly in fear for his safety, within two years he was in two really bad motorcycle crashes (not exactly car crash related, but just proof in my mind that my fears come true).

Sorry to be so morbid, but yes, there are others out there that share your fear!

Bipolar & Anxiety

Current Meds: Depakote 500mg, Celexa 20mg, Ambien 10mg, Clonazepam .5mg PRN, Propranolol 20mg, Gabapentin 100mg PRN

#14 eccentrik_drummer_chik

eccentrik_drummer_chik

Arghh......

• Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:47 PM

Actually, nevermind, that wasn't the only time my gf had my son in the car, last school year there was one day I had such a bad headache I didn't feel up to driving, so she picked him up. My headache trumped my fear that they would crash again....

Bipolar & Anxiety

Current Meds: Depakote 500mg, Celexa 20mg, Ambien 10mg, Clonazepam .5mg PRN, Propranolol 20mg, Gabapentin 100mg PRN

#15 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8617 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:49 PM

EDC, there was a woman in my CBT class who had the same phobia. She got a couple of friends to work with her, and drive her around, and used CBT to try to get better. She was way better at the end of the 6 week class, although she was by no means totally phobia free. She was still scared of being a passenger in cars on bridges at that point.

ETA: Duh, ahalo, I am hopeful this might work for you as well. I read just the last few posts at first, sorry.

Edited by crtclms, 16 July 2011 - 11:51 PM.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#16 eccentrik_drummer_chik

eccentrik_drummer_chik

Arghh......

• Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:27 AM

EDC, there was a woman in my CBT class who had the same phobia. She got a couple of friends to work with her, and drive her around, and used CBT to try to get better. She was way better at the end of the 6 week class, although she was by no means totally phobia free. She was still scared of being a passenger in cars on bridges at that point.

Luckily, because I can and love to drive, for me this isn't a phobia that I have had the need to face and overcome. It has caused minor complications, but unless something happens that makes me unable to drive, I can remain in blissful avoidance....

Bipolar & Anxiety

#17 Angelljasmine

Angelljasmine

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 03:35 AM

I'm terrible as a passenger in a car, I get tense and horrible anxiety, hitting the imaginary "brake" with my foot, and sharp intakes of breath (etc) if I think someone's too close or we might hit something. It's definitely a control and trust issue. It can be kind of embarrassing so I try to avoid being the passenger at all costs, I always drive myself everywhere. Funnily enough on the odd occasion I have to take a taxi (to the airport or something) I am ok as long as I sit in the back. I'm very much OK driving myself around everywhere, as long as I'm the one in control, I love to drive.
Clonazepam as needed for high anxiety / panic attacks.

(Still nursing my 1 yr old so not on any other meds)

History of: Depression / dysthymia / BPD traits / previous mild/moderate SI / survivor of childhood emotional abuse.

And social anxiety, don't forget that.

#18 squirmy

squirmy

squirmy

• Pip
  • 385 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:36 AM

I think your on to something there I really notice this in a plane and I thought it was general fear of flying but I to am a terrible passenger and I wonder why is it the close quarters with people or a person I know I don't have this when I ride with my wife but if you put anyone in the car with us I don't really know I get extreme anxiety I shut up close and sit in fear of what I don't know but its fear at its finest I will ponder on this but really I don't have clue why

Schizoaffective, bipolar type----- Effexor, lithium, Risperdal , Adderall, clonazepam,-------

The face in the mirror wont stop----the girl in the window wont drop------ a feast of friends----- alive she cried------
waiting for me outside----------jim morrison

#19 ahalo

ahalo

• Pip
  • 587 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:04 AM

Since I made this post I started driving again a little and I've made a concerted effort to focus and let go of my 'irrational' fears. When I'm driving I put myself in the place of the passenger and imagine myself as the passenger and how i probably would've reacted in this or that situation and this has actually really helped me once i'm back in the passenger spot. Now- mind you - when I'm riding with someone who isnt the best driver i'm still a nervous wreck probably beyond what's necessary for the situation but I am doing better.

I also find riding in the backseat to be easier, as someone else pointed out.

#20 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8617 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:19 AM

You see, my problem is that even I realize I am an average driver, at best. My husband can't drive, so he has just had to accept my driving, and realize I haven't had an accident the entire time I have known him. And previously, two accidents that were my fault, but one of those was on ice. My only moving violation since 1989 was last year for driving in the carpool lane when I didn't have a passenger. I don't like driving at all, though.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.