• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ccc

ccc

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 03:13 AM

Hello,

I just posted in the OCD thread, but i think my question is probably best answered in the SSRI's thread.

I'm taking Remeron and Zoloft for my GAD and OCD.  The Zoloft has worked really well for the OCD- i'm about 70% better now thank goodness!  The only problem is that my break-thru GAD is still quite bad.  My pdoc has suggested that i might change the Zoloft to Paxil as this may work for the GAD better.

I'm really keen to try to fix the GAD and someone pointed out in the OCD forum that Paxil is really good for anxiety.  I'm worried though, that if i find that Paxil isn't as good as Zoloft for me (i know this is unlikely but bear with me) and want to go back to zolfot, that the zoloft may not work as well as is it now- i've heard it said elsewhere on this forum that SSRI's often don't work as well the 2nd time you take them.

Has anyone found this?  Got less of an effect after taking a break from an SSRI and then coming back to it?  I'm just really scared about loosing what gain i've made, but i really want the paxil if it'll help.   ;)

Edited by ccc, 10 October 2005 - 03:15 AM.

#2 ccc

ccc

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 03:14 AM

Oh, if it helps, i've only been taking the zoloft for about 3 months now.

#3 Fiona

Fiona

To choose is also to begin. (Starhawk)

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 826 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:00 AM

It is sometimes true -- but it's actually Paxil that is the worst offender. Going back to Zoloft if Paxil doesn't work is probably not going to be a disaster.

Still, I really understand your worries about giving up the good you've got for something that might or might not be better.

Fiona
Why not give today a chance? You can always kill yourself tomorrow.

The truly courageous choices are the ones a person makes over and over and over again, knowing the cost but facing the same burden again tomorrow. (M. A. Pakulak)

~~~N.B. Nothing I say can or should be mistaken for actual medical advice. Nope. Not me. Not any of it.~~~
~~~For medical advice, call your doctor!~~~

#4 ConfusedCat

ConfusedCat

• Pip
  • 462 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:11 PM

But Im living proof paxil CAN work the second time too!  There are also a few others here that can attest to that.

It is good to know the possibilities but don't take it as probability.

CC~

#5 ccc

ccc

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 05:57 PM

Thanks guys.  I'm so stressed about what to do- just don't want to shoot myself in the foot!  I'll keep in mind that Zoloft isn't a major offender in terms of failing the 2nd time round.

Also, if i change straight to Paxil from Zoloft, will i still have to wait the usual time for Paxil to work, or will it kick in earlier since i'd already have been on another SSRI?

Thanks again for the thoughts, it really helps ;)

#6 ConfusedCat

ConfusedCat

• Pip
  • 462 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:10 PM

It should be a smoother transition than going from nothing to an ssri. You may get some inital start up effects just because of the different chemical makeup, but your seratonin levels will hopefully be fine.  You aren't going to crash or anything.

I and many others can usually go from one ssri to another pretty easily.

Try not to stress too much. I know that is much easier said than done!

Let us know how it goes for you.

CC~

#7 PanickyAndCrazy

PanickyAndCrazy

Vomit? WHAT?!?!

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:26 PM

But Im living proof paxil CAN work the second time too!  There are also a few others here that can attest to that.

It is good to know the possibilities but don't take it as probability.

CC~

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank goodness cause I just got back on Paxil (couldn't go out to eat or be in any social setting unless it was work or very familiar places) and I was on it for 6 years and then just stayed on Clonazepam as needed but that didn't work too well for me. Hopefully soon I will be all better again!

#8 ConfusedCat

ConfusedCat

• Pip
  • 462 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:05 PM

Let us know how it goes!

If zoloft was good for you, I think you will do well with paxil.  It really is the only one that seems to quell my anxiety.

Best of luck.

CC~

#9 username

username

• Pip
  • 425 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:29 AM

For what it is worth Zoloft worked BETTER the second time around, for me.

#10 username

username

• Pip
  • 425 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 06:56 AM

And it is working a third time, check out my thread!

#11 ccc

ccc

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 05:27 AM

Nice to hear that username!  ;)

I still haven't started the paxil yet, my pdoc wasn't able to fit me in til next week, but i'm all keen to give it a go now, especially having heard a few positive stories.

Fingers crossed and i'll post up how it goes! :)

Anyone know, because i'll be changing straight from another SSRI, will I have to wait the usual time for the paxil to kick in, or should it be immediate since my seretonin levels will be pretty good to start with?

#12 username

username

• Pip
  • 425 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 02:23 PM

Nice to hear that username!  ;)

I still haven't started the paxil yet, my pdoc wasn't able to fit me in til next week, but i'm all keen to give it a go now, especially having heard a few positive stories.

Fingers crossed and i'll post up how it goes! :)

Anyone know, because i'll be changing straight from another SSRI, will I have to wait the usual time for the paxil to kick in, or should it be immediate since my seretonin levels will be pretty good to start with?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Different action, so you will have to wait for the paroxetine to kick in.  SSRIs usually take a bit of time to stop working however, so it may be a smoother transition.

Do not think of it as a waiting game.  Think "everytime I take a tablet, I am one step closer to being well".

Good luck.

#13 MoparGuy1991

MoparGuy1991

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:12 AM

I'm taking Lexapro for what appears to be the 4th time. I wonder if it would work this time. It's been about a year since I last taken Lexapro.

It's being added to Lamictal and Topamax. I'm starting on 5mg.

The only other SSRI I took in between the 3rd and 4th trial was Luvox for about a month fairly recently which was this past late July and during August. Also, in between 3rd/4th Lexapro trials, I took 5-HTP/Tryptophan extensively. I had a brief trial of Wellbutrin as well.
Ultra-Rapid/Ultradian Cycling, OCD, Aspergers Syndrome
Current Cocktail:
Lamictal - 300mg (200mg AM, 100mg PM)
Topamax - 150mg (50mg TID)
Omega 3 Mood 1000mg EPA QAM

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.