• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dusk

Dusk

Giggity.

• Pip
  • 640 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:15 AM

I used to be able to hug people (mom, dad, husband, friends) without a problem. Now, I feel "icky" for lack of a better word. Is this a symptom of something or just a character quirk?

DX: Schizophrenia, OCD, type II diabetes

Current psych. RX: Risperdal, Lithium, Viibryd, Ambien

Tried previously: ECT, Paxil, Celexa, Zoloft, Effexor, Provigil, Remeron, Abilify, Geodon, Klonopin, Buspar, Lexapro, Trazodone, Luvox, Trilaphon, Pristiq, Loxapine, Pamelor, Neurontin, Lamictal, Ritalin, L-Methylfolate, Vistaril, Zyprexa, Seroquel IR and XR, Saphris, Latuda, Clozaril

#2 Guest_Vapourware_*

Guest_Vapourware_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:42 AM

It could be a symptom of something, or not - it depends on the reason for onset, if you can identify one. When did you start realising that you didn't like to be touched? Why is touch an issue for you now, and not in the past?

#3 Dusk

Dusk

Giggity.

• Pip
  • 640 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:12 PM

Good question. I'm not sure. I've just been dx'd with being bipolar because I started having different symptoms a few months ago. I guess it started when the new symptoms started. I've mostly had depression over the past few months but have also been very agitated.

Tried previously: ECT, Paxil, Celexa, Zoloft, Effexor, Provigil, Remeron, Abilify, Geodon, Klonopin, Buspar, Lexapro, Trazodone, Luvox, Trilaphon, Pristiq, Loxapine, Pamelor, Neurontin, Lamictal, Ritalin, L-Methylfolate, Vistaril, Zyprexa, Seroquel IR and XR, Saphris, Latuda, Clozaril

#4 enlightened_plutonian

enlightened_plutonian

The boundary between reality and delusion is currently out of the office

• Pip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:50 PM

I am one who cannot stand being touched, and I believe it to be a personality trait more than anything. I have always had this issue to some extent, but I would say it is definitely getting worse with time. Now I cannot even stand to be in any kind of close proximity to anyone, even people I consider to be friends.

But then we are all different, and different people may have the same feeling for different reasons.
Current diagnosis = psychosis NOS
History = depression (remission since April 2009), SI (remission since April 2009), alcohol abuse (remission since March 2007)
Past false dx = BPD (only symptom I had was SI), schizophrenia (I was very sleep deprived at the time)
Also have diabetes and pain issues (undiagnosed) and hayfever (April - June)

Current meds = Seroquel 800mg XR (as 400 in the morning and 400 in the night)
Also on insulin and Microgynon

I am not deluded, I just don't agree with your reality!

#5 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8757 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:47 PM

I can't stand being touched, except by my husband, and one or two friends that I will hug. I wish I could, because I could really benefit from massages. I had one once, and it was definitely icky. The masseuse kept saying through the whole thing, "RELAX, RELAX!" Which was soooo helpful.:rolleyes:

And at bedtime, I can't have any part of me touching even my husband, or I can't fall asleep. But now that I think of it, I don't mind my dog snuggling under the covers next to me. In fact, I find it soothing. Hmmmm.

I have always thought it was because my parents handled me violently, but that is based on nothing but my opinion. I don't even think I have brought it up with a pdoc. It could just be anxiety, I guess.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#6 Guest_Vapourware_*

Guest_Vapourware_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:15 AM

@Dusk: I wonder if the agitation that you're feeling has anything to do with it?

I have had issues with being touched for a while. It felt intrusive and almost threatening for me to have someone stand close enough to touch me, let alone make physical contact. I still do, to an extent, but being exposed to more people over time has helped.

#7 Dusk

Dusk

Giggity.

• Pip
  • 640 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:57 AM

Glad to know I'm not the only one. Yes, I think the agitation might have something to do with it. That's something I hadn't thought about.

I can't STAND it when my husband's leg or arm brushes against me when I'm trying to go to sleep.

#8 Sweetest1

Sweetest1

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 04:29 PM

I used to be really huggy and touchy but since I had my psychotic break I can't stand to be touched at all.

DX Bipolar 1, rapid cycling - PTSD - Anxiety disorder NOS

RX Epival 1250mg - Wellbutrin 300mg - clonazepam 1.5mg - ativan 1mg PRN

previous Rx - lexapro, seroquel, lithium, effexor, topamax, zyprexa, trazadone, risperidone, zeldox/geodon, zopiclone

#9 Anodyne Oblivion

Anodyne Oblivion

Dolphin SCUBA Instructor

• Pip
  • 489 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:02 PM

I've always avoided being touched; I very much dislike it. But when agitated, it can go from the usuak "ack, icky. getitoffgetitoffgetitoff"" to "holy shit don't touch me I'm going to freak the fuck out on you if you don't get out of my spaaaaace!!! [hyperventilates]"

I think I've hugged my best friend 2x in 17 years.

Dx with BP II and ADHD because who wants to actually take the time to test a grown woman for an ASD?  No, that'd be stupid.  And I'm silly for even bringing it up.  Despite the fact that 2/3 of my siblings are on the spectrum. 

meds:

Buproprion

Focalin

(Buspirone?  Probably not gonna take it)

#10 jt07

jt07

Existing on the very edge of sanity

• Inmate
  • 7370 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:02 PM

I absolutely do not like to be touched. People can't wrap their brains around the fact that I do not like and will not have massages. They think it is because I'm shy or something. No, it's because I really do not like to be touched. And as someone has mentioned, I cannot fall asleep touching someone else. I need my space.

Dx: Atypical MDD with anxiety, possible ADD, OCD (mostly recovered)
Rx: Citalopram (20 mg), Remeron (45 mg), Abilify (30 mg), Carbamazepine (800 mg), Lamotrigine (200 mg), Ritalin (20 mg AM, 10 mg PM)

горький осадок, но сахара не надо

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.