• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jt07

jt07

Existing on the very edge of sanity

• Inmate
  • 7684 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:24 PM

I have a pdoc appointment coming up in a few days, and I'm thinking about asking for Latuda. I know that the risperidone is not doing anything for me. Maybe I should be asking for Abilify, but I've read some positive studies and some positive anecdotal reports on the internet about Latuda and depression. I've read the Latuda thread here, but it's hard to make out. It seems that perhaps it was driving some people into mania? Does that mean it might have an antidepressant effect?

Does anyone have any experience with how Latuda acts on depression? Does it help? Or is it a waste of time?

Dx: Atypical MDD with anxiety, possible ADD, OCD (mostly recovered)
Rx: Citalopram (20 mg), Remeron (45 mg), Abilify (30 mg), Carbamazepine (800 mg), Lamotrigine (200 mg), Ritalin (20 mg AM, 10 mg PM)

горький осадок, но сахара не надо

#2 AnneMarie

AnneMarie

• Pip
  • 4644 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:42 PM

I am more awake on Latuda than Risperdal. My nagging depression is the same. I am on a very low dose, though.

Latuda is only approved for Schiz. There is minimal research on its use for bipolar depression. Per my pdoc, there is one study with initial positive results, but that's not a complete study so final answers could change.

Abilify has a fair amount of research showing it to be effective with MDD, especially as an augmentor, IIRC. I'd go with the known boy instead of the new kid on the block.

Me? I've tried every AAP except Saphris and Fanapt. I can't do ADs. Going with the newly minted for a different disorder makes sense all that concidered.

Bipolar I and ADD

#3 jt07

jt07

• Inmate
  • 7684 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:14 PM

I am more awake on Latuda than Risperdal. My nagging depression is the same. I am on a very low dose, though.

Latuda is only approved for Schiz. There is minimal research on its use for bipolar depression. Per my pdoc, there is one study with initial positive results, but that's not a complete study so final answers could change.

Abilify has a fair amount of research showing it to be effective with MDD, especially as an augmentor, IIRC. I'd go with the known boy instead of the new kid on the block.

Me? I've tried every AAP except Saphris and Fanapt. I can't do ADs. Going with the newly minted for a different disorder makes sense all that concidered.

Thanks Stacia. I don't know. I tried Abilify years ago before it was approved as an adjunctive treatment for depression. I will freely admit that I probably didn't give it a fair shot since I was looking for something that gave me the energy boost that Risperdal did (and now no longer does). However, I don't recall that it did a bang up job on my depression or else I would remember it better.

I know the current indications for Latuda. But I think Abilify started out being only approved for schiz. at first. I believe that I have seen where Latuda is undergoing trials for depression as well, but that of course doesn't mean that the trials have been completed nor does it mean that there have been positive results.

Edited by jt07, 02 September 2011 - 11:15 PM.

Rx: Citalopram (20 mg), Remeron (45 mg), Abilify (30 mg), Carbamazepine (800 mg), Lamotrigine (200 mg), Ritalin (20 mg AM, 10 mg PM)

#4 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

if it were me, I'd probably try the latudia first, given that you've tried abilify in the past and not noticed a big difference.

it amazes me that risperdal is the only AAP that seems to help me with depression. i hope it never craps out, because it seems to be the only one that simutaneously makes me less depressed and doesn't push me into mania. ina fact, it works beautifully in both directions and is my new best friend.

i'm a bit wary of latudia as it seems to be more one of the activating AAPs and I don't do well on those. saphris was subtly destabilizing to me in an abilify like way, though not as intense. It took me a while to realize that was happening.

Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#5 AnneMarie

AnneMarie

• Pip
  • 4644 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:53 AM

Now that you mention having been on Abilify in the past without much luck, I'd give Latuda a shot.

Anna, that Latuda looks to be an activating AAP is why I'm afraid to go to 40mg, the more traditional starting dose.

Bipolar I and ADD

#6 jt07

jt07

• Inmate
  • 7684 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:12 PM

For me, it's a plus if Latuda is activating. I know it is bad to rely on antcdotal evidence, but Latuda seems to help a few people with motivational problems and anhedonia which are by far the worst parts of my depression. I figure that i could give it a trial for a month, and if it doesn't work, then I would try Abilify again. Whether Latuda or Abilify, it would be progress for me. I certainly would not be worse off.

I don't know why risperidone doesn't work this time around for me. It worked so well for me the first time a few years ago, but then my pdoc's samples dried up as it went generic so I had to try Abilify. Count me as one of those who find that AAP's don't work so well the second time around.

#7 ManWitPlan

ManWitPlan

• Pip
  • 392 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:01 PM

For me, it's a plus if Latuda is activating. I know it is bad to rely on antcdotal evidence, but Latuda seems to help a few people with motivational problems and anhedonia which are by far the worst parts of my depression. I figure that i could give it a trial for a month, and if it doesn't work, then I would try Abilify again. Whether Latuda or Abilify, it would be progress for me. I certainly would not be worse off.

I don't know why risperidone doesn't work this time around for me. It worked so well for me the first time a few years ago, but then my pdoc's samples dried up as it went generic so I had to try Abilify. Count me as one of those who find that AAP's don't work so well the second time around.

I'd definitely recommend latuda. I think that if you want to have energy and that passion back for life its a good drug to take. I was switching meds back and forth this year till I tried latuda. Every since I notice I am full of energy, I laugh at depression now. I have way less social anxiety, which really helps. I have been on latuda for almost 6 months. With this drug I wake up every morning looking to take on the world. I actually go to bed at night looking forward to the morning. I haven't felt this way since before I was diagnosed.

Also I'm not sure if you have developed a weight problem from risperdal or any other drug you take but if so then latuda is another reason to take it. I weighed 307 pounds last december. Now I weigh 245 pounds. When I was on risperdal I would eat like crazy. Taking a 3 hour college course was tough because I would be starving half way through the class. Now I can go 5-6 hours without eating. My life no longer revolves around the next meal. Cause I don't care about food anymore. It's funny on this drug I have to force myself to eat. On risperdal I had to force myself to not eat. And we know how tough that is.

Edited by ManWitPlan, 04 September 2011 - 03:06 PM.

#8 FunkUSMC

FunkUSMC

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:48 AM

I'd definitely recommend latuda. I think that if you want to have energy and that passion back for life its a good drug to take. I was switching meds back and forth this year till I tried latuda. Every since I notice I am full of energy, I laugh at depression now. I have way less social anxiety, which really helps. I have been on latuda for almost 6 months. With this drug I wake up every morning looking to take on the world. I actually go to bed at night looking forward to the morning. I haven't felt this way since before I was diagnosed.

Also I'm not sure if you have developed a weight problem from risperdal or any other drug you take but if so then latuda is another reason to take it. I weighed 307 pounds last december. Now I weigh 245 pounds. When I was on risperdal I would eat like crazy. Taking a 3 hour college course was tough because I would be starving half way through the class. Now I can go 5-6 hours without eating. My life no longer revolves around the next meal. Cause I don't care about food anymore. It's funny on this drug I have to force myself to eat. On risperdal I had to force myself to not eat. And we know how tough that is.

I just started Latuda last evening and I'm hoping it's going to work like it does on you. My doc says most feel a difference within 5 days? Was that the case for you? You're the first person I've read positive comments regarding Latuda and depression but I just joined this forum today (found it doing a search for Latuda). At any rate, I've been on several meds before this including Seroquel, Abilify (had major side effects and when my doc put me on Cogentin to supress them I hallucinated for the first time in my life. I'm becoming emotionally fatigued not only b/c of the length of my issues but from all the different meds that have been tried on me (I seriously can't even begin to write them all out). Regardless, thanks for your post. Going to search some more and see what else I can find on here.

Cheers

Edited by FunkUSMC, 01 October 2011 - 08:52 AM.

Dx: PTSD, TBI, Bipolar II.
Rx: Latuda 40 mg, Cymbalta 120 mg, Neurotin 300mg x 3, Clonidine .1mg, Elavil 100 mg.
Failed Rx: Lamictal, Tegretol, Zoloft, Abilify, Cogentin, Saphris, Prozac, Prazosin, & too many to remember (adding as I recall them).

#9 jt07

jt07

• Inmate
  • 7684 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:09 AM

I just started Latuda last evening and I'm hoping it's going to work like it does on you. My doc says most feel a difference within 5 days? Was that the case for you? You're the first person I've read positive comments regarding Latuda and depression but I just joined this forum today (found it doing a search for Latuda). At any rate, I've been on several meds before this including Seroquel, Abilify (had major side effects and when my doc put me on Cogentin to supress them I hallucinated for the first time in my life. I'm becoming emotionally fatigued not only b/c of the length of my issues but from all the different meds that have been tried on me (I seriously can't even begin to write them all out). Regardless, thanks for your post. Going to search some more and see what else I can find on here.

Cheers

Please let us know how the Latuda goes. My pdoc put me on Abilify instead of Latuda, but I've heard good things about Latuda and maybe I will want to try it if the Abilify doesn't work out.

#10 AnneMarie

AnneMarie

• Pip
  • 4644 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:36 AM

I increased my dose to 40mg. I felt a little less anhedonia and a little more energy a couple weeks after the increase. For me, it didn't happen in five days. I'm not back to myself yet, but there is an improvement.

Bipolar I and ADD

#11 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:31 PM

That's great stacia. I hope the improvement continues.

Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.