xanax and birth control (ortho evra)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lizzieb

Lizzieb

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:52 PM

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone takes xanax with a birth control pill or patch. I was recently prescribed the patch, and my doctor didn't know if xanax could decrease it's effectiveness. All she said was that she wouldn't trust it, but all the pharmicists I spoke to said it should be fine. I had the same question about seroquel and others say the combo is fine. I'm paranoid and want to know if any ladies take xanax and the pill together without any problems and knows for sure that xanax wont decreas it's effectiveness

#2 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:23 PM

I have never heard of benzos decreasing bc pill effectiveness and I am starting to doubt the competence of your doctor. Um....

Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#3 WinterRosie

WinterRosie

Caution: I'm rude and authoritarian

• Admin
  • 3693 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:12 AM

Not sure if this applies but the patch (and all estrogen-containing birth control options) are not great for people with leanings toward depression and it is recommended that people who lean that way on any estrogen-containing birth control be closely monitored.

Si nous ne sommes pas pro-nous-autres, nous sommes anti-nous-autres.

A diamond is just a piece of coal that handled stress exceptionally well. Oh well, there's always cubic zirconia. 

Note: Staff are here to think with you, not for you. Keep your thinking caps on. I've never been a doctor, not even in high school drama class, so you'll need to ask your own.

Boards I moderate: confessional, people suck, news/politics, dissociation, trauma + private, substance abuse, eating disorders

#4 muriel

muriel

don't fuck with elderly kitty

• Pip
  • 401 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:18 AM

The only psych medications that interact with hormonal birth control and can decrease its effectiveness are some of the anticonvulsants. Xanax is not an anticonvulsant, and there should be no interactions at all.

#5 Lizzieb

Lizzieb

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:17 PM

I have never heard of benzos decreasing bc pill effectiveness and I am starting to doubt the competence of your doctor. Um....

Anna

Anna, she's not even a doctor, she's a midwife. I go to a free clinic because I have no health insurance. All she told me was that '' antispychosis can interfere with birth control, and xanax may as well" So she doesn't trust these meds with birth control and the pill will basically be useless. The woman has got me paranoid as hell. I also wanted the paragard iud as birth control. She scared me away from that because she said the insertion will be extremely painful.

#6 muriel

muriel

don't fuck with elderly kitty

• Pip
  • 401 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:33 PM

Seroquel (as well as other antipsychotics) and Xanxax DO NOT interact with birth control pills.

I have had an IUD inserted and I definitely felt it, but it wasn't that bad. It's nothing compared to labor and delivery. The insertion itself was a some very quick, manageable pain and it was over. That's what most women report.

I have a copper IUD, so I experienced some cramping for a few weeks along with some spotting. My periods are heavier, a little longer, and a little crampier. It's all manageable with Advil. The Mirena usually makes periods shorter, less heavy, and you have less cramping because of the progesterone. Hormones makes me batty, so I had to go with the copper IUD over the MIrena.

I love, love, love, love my IUD. Love it. Most people I know who have them love their IUDs.

This woman sounds pretty uneducated about what she practices.

Edited by muriel, 16 September 2011 - 06:40 PM.

#7 saveyoursanity

saveyoursanity

Sister Hand Grenade of Enlightened Compassion

• Inmate
  • 1960 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:39 AM

My IUD insertion was not painful at all, and I have the pain tolerance of a ... very non-pain tolerant thing.

I'd definitely get a different practitioner.

CAPS LOCK IS HOW I FEEL INSIDE ALL THE TIME.

"There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution."

Dx and Psych Rx in profile.

I am NOT a medical professional, merely experienced from a consumer perspective.
I strongly urge fact checking with your own research and consulting an actual medical professional.

#8 mj1127

mj1127

• Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:11 PM

Get off the patch. My GYN doesn't prescribe it anymore because the hormone levels are too high. I agree with above, IUD insertion was no big deal.
MJ
dx: Bipolar NOS, ADHD, migraine
Rx: Lithium CR 1200mg, Wellbutrin 225mg, Abilify 5mg
, Latuda 20mg, Adderall 20mg BID, Xanax XR .125mg BID
Past Rx: Depakote, Lamictal, Neurontin, Tegretol, Invega, Saphris, Zyprexa,
BuSpar, Dalmane, Klonopin, Adderall XR, Concerta, Ritalin, Ritalin SR, Vyvanse, Anafranil, Elavil, Tofranil, Celexa, Lexapro, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Corgard, Inderal, Ambien, Lunesta, Sonata, probably others

#9 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:53 AM

I adore my paraguard IUD. My obgyn (who is very knowledgeable and awesome) does not think the mirena is a good option for me at all due to its potential for increasing depression, and honestly, the hormone levels are VERY low. So, eh.

Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.