Photo
- - - - -

How can you get 2 benzodiazapine scripts?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 netsavy006

netsavy006

I'm Andy

• Pip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:49 PM

My pdoc has told me that he cannot write more than 1 benzodiazapine script or he would get in trouble with the state. But, I see other users sigs and I notice sometimes there are more than one, one user I saw earlier today had 3 benzos in their sig.

I'm content with just getting the 1 script per month as I do fine with that, but I'm curious, how are some of you able to get 2 or more benzo scripts without getting your doctor in trouble?

- Andy -
Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia + Acid Reflex Disease
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg QID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Pantoprazole + Centrum + Fish Oil

#2 Not me

Not me

Who am I? That's one secret I'll never tell. You know you love me. x o x o

• Chat Inmate
  • 567 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:54 PM

I live in a different state.

sigmark2.gif
Current Meds: Unicorns.

#3 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:00 PM

Well I have a script for xanax and a script for Temazepam which are both Schedule 4 Controlled Subtances. I would be suprised if that was an official rule Andy. I think it more likely that is your doctor's guideline for himself, self imposed to be cautious about his prescribing. But perhaps different state vary in their rules. If anyone has knowledge of that I would be curious.

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

#4 Not me

Not me

Who am I? That's one secret I'll never tell. You know you love me. x o x o

• Chat Inmate
  • 567 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:17 PM

Well I have a script for xanax and a script for Temazepam which are both Schedule 4 Controlled Subtances. I would be suprised if that was an official rule Andy. I think it more likely that is your doctor's guideline for himself, self imposed to be cautious about his prescribing. But perhaps different state vary in their rules. If anyone has knowledge of that I would be curious.

This sounds more correct. My doctor will only write me one script per drug per month so she doesn't get in trouble. Once when I lost a script she wrote me a new one but said if I filled both it would be flagged and investigated.
I'm not entirely sure how it works here really, Other than its controlled at arm length.

sigmark2.gif
Current Meds: Unicorns.

#5 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13172 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:59 PM

The way my pdoc explained it to me is that sometimes MDs who do a lot of heavy prescribing of controlled substances get flagged and investigated for one reason or another and have to justify ever rx they write. The result is that MDs who are not in practices where it's expected that they will write a lot of rx's for controlled substances (pain management etc) try to not call attention to themselves so as to avoid a big hassle.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#6 SashaSue

SashaSue

Vulpes Bipolaris

• Pip
  • 4565 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:43 PM

My pdoc has written multiple benzos for me a couple of times, so I could figure out which worked best. She's in NY, and it's just never been an issue.
Dx: Bipolar I, ADHD<br />
Rx: Seroquel, 800mg, Lamictal, 150mg, Effexor, 325mg, Wellbutrin, 450, Dexedrine ER, 60mg

#7 danceintherain

danceintherain

• Pip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:09 PM

I also haven't ever had issues w/ the two at once situation. There's a reason for the two different choices, which he could use if the pharmacy or doctor had an issue...but it hasn't caused any problems yet. I'd lean toward a self-control measure more than a state regulation thing...but definitely could be wrong on that one. It seems like it's not a federal thing, or else multiple doctors on this thread would be in trouble!
bipolar I ish. Used to have some ptsd-like crap, but that's resolved.

current RXs: Ativan (1 mg), Lamictal (300mg, split); WellbutrinXL (150mg); geodon (20mgs w/ food). Also levothyroxine (75 mcg), levosertralizine, and
birth control.

Past Rxs: zoloft (like a sugar pill); lexapro (hit an akathesia problem or something else nasty like that); seroquel; ambien; sonata (all worked at different points in time, just changed for different reasons); effexorXR (wonderful for helping to yank me out of an episode; stopped after a few years b/c it seemed to be causing some agitation).

#8 Blart752

Blart752

Meh

• Pip
  • 575 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:36 PM

I've had two scripts for klonopin and ativan at the same time as well, I never filled them at the same time. But i had them in there. You just have to sign something I believe if it is a controlled substance.
crocker's rules

dx: Mood disorder NOS, multiple somatic issues., insomnia, fatigue, neck/back problems (sometimes spasm) under fibromyalgia(pain) treatment, asthma,

experience in: zyprexa, lexapro.

#9 dedoubt

dedoubt

• Pip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:05 PM

I'm in NH, and my pdoc gives me a 'script for clonazepam and one for lorazepam. They do different things for me, so he leaves it up to me to figure out when I need each. I have two current prescriptions, though I'm not sure if I have ever gone in to pick up both bottles at the same time. I've never had to sign anything about their being controlled substances (nor do I have to when picking up my son's Vyvanse or Adderall).

The crazy: Bipolar disorder 1 (rapid cycling, with psychosis), personality disorder (NOS), PTSD, ADD, uppity

The pills: None. Mutually agreed upon with my pdoc as the best choice for now.

"All at once is what eternity is." Kenneth Patchen

#10 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:54 AM

I take klonopin and temazepam atm. No one has ever made an issue out of it. Not sure why your doc is refusing, you could ask him, perhaps?

Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#11 AnneMarie

AnneMarie

• Pip
  • 4644 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:01 PM

Andy, you were just saying that you absolutely had to quit your job, maybe never work, maybe never move out of the house, maybe never be independent, etc because of your out of control anxiety. Instead of taking a few days sick leave, you outright quit your job because of your anxiety. Now you are saying it is not a problem and your are just asking your pdoc about two benzo scripts out of pure curiosity. Try being a little more honest here, k.

Bipolar I and ADD

#12 netsavy006

netsavy006

I'm Andy

• Pip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:36 PM

He told me this because I wanted to switch from Xanax to Xanax XR, but he told me that he couldn't give me a script for Xanax XR and if the insurance didn't cover it, I couldn't go back the next day to get a new script for the regular Xanax. He mentioned he could get in trouble if they (whoever they is) found out that he wrote 2 prescriptions of this category in too small a window.

- Andy -
Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia + Acid Reflex Disease
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg QID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Pantoprazole + Centrum + Fish Oil

#13 sylvan

sylvan

Pill Party

• Admin
  • 4304 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:50 PM

True enough, insurance might be a problem. But him getting in trouble? Highly doubtful.

It has been a year since one of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing passed away. He was strong, intelligent, caring, and honest. I had the honor of calling him Daddy. I will miss both my parents for as long as I live. I hope that I can be even half as good of a spouse, parent, and friend as the two of them were. Life is now forever changed for me. It will never be like it was. That doesn't mean it will all be bad, it will just be different.

#14 lipstickjunkie

lipstickjunkie

I'm not a doctor, I just play one in my imagination.

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:00 PM

I have a few different prescriptions for benzos and have not had any sort of issue. I live in WA but have no idea about any laws regarding multiple meds in the same category.
current dx: anxiety, depression, OCD, PTSD, insomnia

#15 chimpmaster

chimpmaster

Hairpants for hairpants :)

• Inmate
  • 1266 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:25 PM

It depends on the doctor I reckon.

I have enough trouble getting the one script out of either my gp or p-doc. This is in Australia however. From my experience with several different p-docs and gps, they will only give valium (diazepam). Forget about xanax, avian or klonopin. But that is just here.

Dx : Schizophrenia, paranoid type with panic attacks. Obsessive Compulsive Personality Trait, epilepsy

Rx : 300mg Clozapine, 1500mg Keppera, 60mg Prozac, 160mg Zeldox, 4mg Reboxetine, 3 oxazepam morning and lunch, 3 in the evening
Ex Rx: Luvox, Paxil, Risperdel, Xanax, Seroquel, Abilify, Zyprexa, Tolvon, Mirtazapine, diazepam.

#16 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 9385 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:42 AM

My understanding is that prescription laws are federal, even though MDs are licensed by state. That was the impression I got from my dad growing up, at any rate.

Andy, you do seem a little obsessed with benzos.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Fish Oil; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate the boards for Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Neuropathic and Chronic Pain, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, Relationships, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#17 Indy_Mode

Indy_Mode

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:21 PM

I'm in Michigan. I have a script for Xanax XR for travel anxiety and a separate script for Xanax that is part of my daily regimen

#18 mrzarf

mrzarf

Nuttier then Squirrel S*it

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:27 PM

I'm in Michigan. I have a script for Xanax XR for travel anxiety and a separate script for Xanax that is part of my daily regimen

A question - Do you take the Xanax everyday type of thing or just when your dealing with Anxiety. I'm new at this and I've been using the Valium as little as possible.
Dx: Anxiety, Depression Major
Meds: Celexa 20mg, Wellbruten 450mg, Valium 2mg (as needed)

#19 water

water

that's as maybe

• Pip
  • 5621 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

A question - Do you take the Xanax everyday type of thing or just when your dealing with Anxiety. I'm new at this and I've been using the Valium as little as possible.

I take valium as needed. It works wonderfully. I take the smallest amount (5 mg?), it's a tiny yellow pill with a cutout heart. so cute.

some days I need to take them more than once, other times I can go a week without one. I find that what is most important is WHY I am taking the pill. If I take it because I am depressed it is a very bad idea. I get tired and more depressed. If I take it because my kid is about to create a huge ruckus, it works wonders. When I have performance anxiety the valium is great. It really really helps my stress, parenting anxiety, manic times, nervousness. If an anxiety attack is about to trigger my depression, then the valium can nip that in the bud.

Edited by water, 16 November 2011 - 01:10 PM.

┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄

aplenzin 522, lexapro 20, xanax 5 prn, valium 5 prn

Sensitive dependance on initial conditions
Small disturbances, big repercussions
We are all so vulnerable.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.