Photo

First Mammogram and Family History

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:07 AM

I have two aunts that have breast cancer right now. One was stage two, had a mastectomy and lymph node removal, and is currently taking tamoxifen for five years. My other aunt was diagnosed with stage three breast cancer about three months ago and had a single mastectomy and several lymph nodes removed. She is undergoing radiation and chemo treatments. Each was about 58-61 when diagnosed. Both are on my mother's side of the family, which also features each female family member having serious gynecological and osteoporosis issues.

My question is when should I get my first mammogram, and how often? I will be 38 at the end of the month. I do self-checks when I'm in the shower, but I know that's not enough.

Thanks
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#2 olga

olga

Life is better when you bring home a furry pal

• Inmate
  • 9972 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:07 AM

This is an issue to discuss with your gynecologist.

I have no history of breast cancer in my family, but I have big boobs with a lot of dense tissue. My doctor was concerned that we might be missing something with the manual exams, so he prescribed my first mamo when I was 38. Talk to your doctor about it and if s/he says so, go ahead and get one.

It's good to have a baseline one from your late 30s-early 40s.

olga

I'm bossy, opinionated, and over 60, so be prepared for advice if you post a question. However, I am not a medical professional, so please consult a doctor about your mental health issues and medications.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can sometimes be easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love. Like all of life's important coping skills, the ability to forgive and the capacity to let go of resentments most likely take root very early in our lives.”
― Fred Rogers

#3 Artemisia

Artemisia

• Pip
  • 1006 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:55 AM

I second Olga's suggestion to have a serious chat about this with your gynecologist.
The Relevant Basics:

Diagnosis - Depression
Current psych meds - sertraline; zolpidem PRN

#4 StormBeforeCalm

StormBeforeCalm

Compulsive Snarky Geek Chick

• Pip
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:04 AM

I agree with what the others said--discuss this with your gynecologist. I am 39 and I had a baseline mammogram when I was 35 because of some family history of breast cancer. Since then, the conventional wisdom has changed and now 40 is the new baseline age. I asked my doctor about this change and she shrugged. As it's turned out, I had a lump this year which turned out to be a benign cyst, and discovered that two of my best friends (same age) also have benign cysts. I ended up having another mammogram this year, plus ultrasound, and it made me feel better to already have the baseline. By all means, if you're concerned about this, you should ask for a baseline mammogram. If you are at all concerned about having one, please don't. It was made out to be 100 times worse than it really was. It takes just a few minutes and while it's not the most comfortable thing, it's not painful either. Just...awkward. At least I had a super tech this year--she told me she was my personal photographer, and we turned it into a glamorous photo session. : ) Gotta find a way to laugh through these things.

Best of luck to you.

DX: MDD, GAD, OCD, skin picking, regular migraines, ocular migraines, allergies
RX: Lexapro, Pristiq, Celexa, bunnies, Topamax, Prozac 80 mg, Abilify 5 mg, Deplin 15 mg, One a Day VitaCraves Gummies multivitamin, Vitamin B complex 500 mg

#5 sylvan

sylvan

Pill Party

• Admin
  • 3981 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:38 PM

You qualify as being able to get early mammograms, from what I was reading this morning. Something about a history of cancer in relatives, cancer yourself, and/or having kids after the age of 30. I'll try to find the link later and post it.

PS - I couldn't find the link I was looking for but I did find a good one from the Mayo Clinic, http://www.mayoclini...delines/AN02052.

I know that had I not been having mammograms on a regular basis, my breast cancer would not have been found when it was. I'm very, very luck that it was found early and I'm getting treatment.

Edited by sylvan, 06 October 2011 - 05:44 PM.

It has been a year since one of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing passed away. He was strong, intelligent, caring, and honest. I had the honor of calling him Daddy. I will miss both my parents for as long as I live. I hope that I can be even half as good of a spouse, parent, and friend as the two of them were. Life is now forever changed for me. It will never be like it was. That doesn't mean it will all be bad, it will just be different.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.