Clonazepam and Ritalin?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ahalo

ahalo

• Pip
  • 587 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 12:06 PM

I am wondering if anyone takes a benzo and a stimulant, and what effect do they have on each other?  My pdoc seems hesitant to put me on a benzo for my anxiety because he thinks that will "cancel out" my adhd medication (methylin- generic for ritalin). He put me on Effexor and for a month I will start out at 37.5 mg. I think I have probably been depressed as well as anxious, and having panic attacks but I am still thinking I need something like Klonopin to help calm me at times because i can get incredibly anxious.

Edited by ahalo, 16 October 2005 - 12:07 PM.

----0.jpg We don't benefit from ignorance. -Obama, 1/16/13

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry. ~Ernest Hemingy, A Farewell To Arms

#2 icthus

icthus

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 12:40 PM

What a mixture!!!

I used to make ritalin at my work site.. This drug is truly amazing. It basically is an amphetamine.. The molecule is so close it is unreal.. The theory behind ritalin was that most ADD or ADHD patients have adverse reactions to anything that makes you drowzy. Things like klonopin or benedryl, cold meds.  They would make you hyper as all hell.. So some scientist decides to try amphetamines on ADD patients hoping to get the adverse effect. It worked on true ADD patients.. Unfortunately doctors are quick to give it out to children who just really need a butt whoopin.

IF you are feeling anxious, sweaty palms, heart beating fast and cant sleep you may be misdiagnosed. PLEASE ask your doctor before you make any kind of changes. This post is just a opinion... If Klonopin is calming you down you may just have some sort of anxiety disorder or imbalance..   

Dig up all the info you can and present it to your doctor..

Good Luck and Hope your feeling better soon!!
What a Long Strange Trip it's Been!!!! 
J. Garcia

DX: Bipolar Manic Depression
RX:Lamictal 400mg, Cymbalta60, Klonopin1mg twice a day
Lunesta 3mg  for sleep

#3 ahalo

ahalo

• Pip
  • 587 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 02:47 PM

Well right now I take just the Ritalin and Effexor.  The Ritalin helps me quite a bit with keeping "grounded" like I can actually be in a conversation with someone for awhile without spacing out, it also helps with how overreactive I am, and in general I feel pretty good when it's in effect.  I have in the past tried Klonopin (before I was on Ritalin) but I've never had a prescription.  It makes me feel drunk but not especially tired.  I also have tried Xanax and it didn't do much of anything at all. 

----0.jpg We don't benefit from ignorance. -Obama, 1/16/13

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry. ~Ernest Hemingy, A Farewell To Arms

#4 Batou

Batou

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 03:34 PM

I have taken klonopin, valium, and xanax (for sleep) all while I was taking Adderall. Klonopin has worked the best for me. Valium is strictly a PRN med when the anxiety becomes unbearable.

Now I take Dexedrine 15mg, pretty small dose, and still take klonopin 1mg twice a day for anxiety. I tried Ritalin before I decided on the Dexedrine, pdoc gave me a short trial on both. I could not stand the Ritalin, it made me crash a few hours after taking it and the crash left me anxious and depressed.

I take the Dexedrine when I wake up. I take the klonopin in the afternoon and at bedtime. Klonopin has a long half life. I don't get tired or any type of drunk feeling on the klonpin. The two do not, for me, seem to cancel one another out. Now adding Seroquel to the mix ... Dexedrine can't seem to breakthrough the incredible drowsiness from the Seroquel.

Erika
Yea, if you think you're going to get somewhere in life by cheating, I mean you may as well just paint yourself yellow, run around like a maniac, and call yourself banana man, 'cause that's what you're doing.
Master Shake, Aqua Teen Hunger Force

misc. info -- Don't EVER put a rusty Ford tractor on a track with a Lamborghini. It is not wise.

**I am not a pharmacist, a MD, or a psychologist. For professional advice, speak with a professional.*

#5 AuburnSunshine

AuburnSunshine

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 05:36 PM

I'm taking Concerta first thing in the morning and clonazapam before going to bed. Seems to be working for me. The Concerta is really helping me focus. One thing about ritalin with people who are ADD is that it does not act like a stimulant...in fact the first few weeks I was trying to find the correct dosage, it was literally putting me to sleep rather than making me "up."

What if this really is as good as it gets?

"We must face and do those things we think we cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt

"We drop like pebbles into the ponds of each other's souls, and the orbit of our ripples continues to expand, intersecting with countless others."
Joan Borysenko

On being a survivor of suicide:  Because we who are left behind die a 1000 deaths trying to understand why.

Never mind
(Emily Latella)

#6 syncope

syncope

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 05:10 PM

I'm taking Concerta first thing in the morning and clonazapam before going to bed. Seems to be working for me. The Concerta is really helping me focus. One thing about ritalin with people who are ADD is that it does not act like a stimulant...in fact the first few weeks I was trying to find the correct dosage, it was literally putting me to sleep rather than making me "up."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was diagnosed with ADD well before it became anything like the commonly made dx it is now. I mean I was subjected to a battery of neuropsych tests at the local hospital and that was the dx.

Since then I have been collecting diagnoses. Depersonalization in college, then major depression leading to hospitalization, then panic attacks (which probably began at 12, but anyway). social anxiety, GAD, most recently narcolepsy.

Ritalin made me anxious as hell. This is not a sign of a misdiagnosis of ADD/ADHD, this means there is a comorbid anxiety disorder that the stimulant is exacerbating.

Now I'm taking Provigil, ironically it is better than Ritalin for ADD but I am still sleepy as hell. ritalin made me more awake, but it took an awful lot to control my inattentiveness. i feel like I'm in danger of caffeine poisoning to keep myself going through the day.
Preferred dx: CNS dysfunction NOS

Preferred rx: 100 mg nortriptyline, 200 mg provigil, 30 mg buspirone, 1 mg clonazepam

Preferred company: The beautiful women who work at the pharmacy

#7 Cole

Cole

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:21 PM

I am wondering if anyone takes a benzo and a stimulant, and what effect do they have on each other?  My pdoc seems hesitant to put me on a benzo for my anxiety because he thinks that will "cancel out" my adhd medication (methylin- generic for ritalin). He put me on Effexor and for a month I will start out at 37.5 mg. I think I have probably been depressed as well as anxious, and having panic attacks but I am still thinking I need something like Klonopin to help calm me at times because i can get incredibly anxious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I take 75 mg wellbutrin sr and .25 -.5mg xanax three times a day, and 50mg zoloft each night.

So far, in my 6 years of taking medication for depression and anxiety, this dosage keeps me balanced--not too anxious, not too depressed, and not too flighty.  The depression has always been helped by zoloft (tried other ad's...hated paxil with a passion), but it never did anything for my anxiety, and I still had regular bouts of brain diahhrea where my mind would just not shut off--chatter, chatter, chatter.  Adding wellbutrin to the mix stopped it cold, no more racing thoughts, much less chatter, and I was able to focus on one task (such as my job ;) ) for more than 10 seconds.  The xanax I take for gad and social anxiety, and to ward off the occasional panic attack.

If I don't take the xanax, I get really jittery on the wellbutrin.  Even though it helps to clear my head and allow me to think rationally, if I don't have the xanax to counteract that, I get panicky, quick.

I have never been diagnosed with ADD nor have I taken ritalin, but I've had most of the symptoms my entire life, and the wellbutrin seems to help quite a bit.  So all of that (plus semi-regular exercise and generally trying to be healthy) and I feel pretty good.

Long story short, it takes some fine-tuning the medication and trial and error to find the right balance for you; I still have days when I'm not at my best, but that's just part of it.

#8 AuburnSunshine

AuburnSunshine

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 02:43 PM

Ritalin made me anxious as hell. This is not a sign of a misdiagnosis of ADD/ADHD, this means there is a comorbid anxiety disorder that the stimulant is exacerbating.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps that's why the clonazapam works with my Concerta? Am going to check out Provigil; know I would hate to be so sleepy it would be hard to make it through the day.

What if this really is as good as it gets?

"We must face and do those things we think we cannot do."
Eleanor Roosevelt

"We drop like pebbles into the ponds of each other's souls, and the orbit of our ripples continues to expand, intersecting with countless others."
Joan Borysenko

On being a survivor of suicide:  Because we who are left behind die a 1000 deaths trying to understand why.

Never mind
(Emily Latella)

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.