Photo
- - - - -

"Case Management" - What is it? Different from Therapy?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 y58

y58

Occupant

• Pip
  • 808 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:55 PM

My Pdoc recently used the term 'case management' as something that may be in my future. I don't know what this is or how it differs from therapy. Examples anyone?

Depression, social anxiety. Ambien 10 PRN. Old diagnoses: schizophrenia, schizoid personality disorder.

Old: Clozaril, Abilify, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Temazepam, Ritalin, Geodon, Effexor, Remeron, Latuda

#2 netsavy006

netsavy006

I'm Andy

• Pip
  • 2165 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:06 PM

Here's the wikipedia page that helps explain it:
http://en.wikipedia....(mental_health)

- Andy -
Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia + Acid Reflex Disease
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg QID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Propranolol 10mg BID + Colace +

Centrum + Fish Oil

#3 llama44

llama44

llama-licious

• Pip
  • 1146 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

I found the wikipedia article more helpful than my post.

Edited by llama44, 22 October 2011 - 02:40 PM.

Diagnoses: Schizoaffective Bipolar Type ("Significant, Severe, Chronic, and Clear Cut"), Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Anorexia (in remission; dx in early teen years), OCD (dx in early teen years)

Current Meds: 600mg Seroquel, 30mg Abilify, 100mg Trazodone, 200mg Lamictal, 300mg Effexor XR, 3mg Klonopin.

Some days are better than others, but I do what I can.

How I'm doing now: I am down and am suicidal. I want to stay in bed forever. I never want to leave the apartment. The voices have been really bothering me. They also put thoughts in my head that aren't mine. They do this to torture me constantly. It is never silent.

#4 y58

y58

Occupant

• Pip
  • 808 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:27 PM

Here's the wikipedia page that helps explain it:

Wikipedia article still leaves me with lots of questions.

Depression, social anxiety. Ambien 10 PRN. Old diagnoses: schizophrenia, schizoid personality disorder.

Old: Clozaril, Abilify, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Temazepam, Ritalin, Geodon, Effexor, Remeron, Latuda

#5 Anna

Anna

• Inmate
  • 4003 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:36 PM

Good case management SHOULD be focusing more on concrete needs, and helping you accomplish concrete goals. Case managers tend to do things like help you fill out housing applications, disability applications, more concrete, needed tasks that you may need help with. They may often provide transportation, or serve as liasions between various agencies/people/whatnot you are dealing with. They might help you find and get vocational training and money, or a job that supports disability or uses disabled persons if you become on disability at some point (if you are not) etc. They tend to cover a lot of tasks.

They may often assist with med assist applications, and letting you know the sorts of programs and services you might qualify for, etc.

Depending on where you are, and what state you live in, you may get very good or very bad case management. It's best to stay in close contact with a case manager, and be assertive with your needs, etc.

Anna
BP I, Most Recent Episode Depressed, like suicidally depressed.

Currently on: neurontin,. seroquel, tienaptine, NAC, lithium, temazepam, latuda, provigil, a bunch of health meds/supps to deal w/ s.e. of crazy meds. (metformin, armour thyroid, Vit B 12 shots, magnesium, the list goes on, sigh, I feel like an OLD person, heh). Yeah, i am on a lot of crazy meds.

Revenge Strategist Extraordinare since 2011... Yes, you may contact me for services/ideas.

#6 Guest_Vapourware_*

Guest_Vapourware_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:37 PM

I think - and others can correct me - that case management involves more of the everyday, practical side to your life. Such as helping you arrange appointments, advocacy when needed, taking you to appointments if you lack transport, making sure you've taken your medication and have enough meds, helping with your general functioning, etc.

Therapy deals more with discussing your symptoms and issues and how to deal with them - like formulating coping strategies, reframing your thinking, etc.

#7 Cetkat

Cetkat

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe..

• Pip
  • 3153 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:11 PM

Huh... so, how does that work exactly? It would be awesome to have actual transportation to a pdoc - if I can get one..
_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

Dx: Major Depression w/ Dysthymia and Panic Disorder, ADHD, Fibromyalgia
Pdoc's Theory Dx: Bipolar NOS (recently re-theorized by current pdoc)
Rx : Emsam 6mg/24hr, Strattera 80mg, Lyrica 100mg, Armour Thyroid 60mg (1 gr), Nadolol prn, Xanax prn, Methocarbamol 750mg prn
EXRx : Zoloft, Seroquel, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lithium, Lamictal, Remeron, Lexapro, Abilify, Zyprexa, Geodon, Cymbalta, Paxil, Sonata, Lunesta, Effexor, Metadate, Risperdal, BuSpar, Ambien, Invega, Tegretol, Nortriptyline, Desipramine, Deplin, Neurontin, Concerta, Trazodone, Mirapex, Amitriptyline, Saphris, Prestiq

I do whatever my rice krispies tell me to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"OK so cheese is trapped, so you can't have cheese." - MDK
_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _. _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

#8 Blue Morpho

Blue Morpho

Mad Scientist

• Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:19 PM

I found the wikipedia article more helpful than my post.

So funny - yeah, same here.
The Blue Morpho
Adventures in Anxiety Land

DX: Chronic PTSD, OCD, GAD, Depression, Panic Disorder, SAD, Social Anxiety, Specific Phobias, probably Adult ADHD
RX: Celexa 40mg daily, Trazodone in test as sleep aid, Ativan 1mg as needed, bunch o' vitamins
Old RX: Buspar, Sonata, also used to be at Celexa 80mg

#9 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:03 PM

hmmm maybe a case manager would be a nice way to help manage my life
it sounds very appealing to day......

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

#10 saveyoursanity

saveyoursanity

Sister Hand Grenade of Enlightened Compassion

• Inmate
  • 2184 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:52 PM

I have a case manager. He meets with me about once a year to make sure that I'm "utilizing all available resources"--i.e. doing vocational rehab, meeting with my social worker, have a therapist, going to pdoc appointments. We also make plans for things like when I get housing and will be able to move out.

When I was worse, he met with me more often.

CAPS LOCK IS HOW I FEEL INSIDE ALL THE TIME.

"There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution."

Dx and Psych Rx in profile.

I am NOT a medical professional, merely experienced from a consumer perspective.
I strongly urge fact checking with your own research and consulting an actual medical professional.

#11 luxroark

luxroark

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:02 PM

I had a case manager. She would come out once a week and ask me a bunch of questions and helped me fill out Section 8 housing forms and reported back to the psychiatrist from the psych hospital once a week. She would help with arranging transportation if I couldn't go on the bus/trolley and she helped with filling out forms for getting medication approved. I no longer have a case manager because she was on Kaiser and I'm receiving Medi-Cal now.
Current DX-schizoaffective depressive type, PTSD and GAD
Current meds-Latuda 80mgs, Effexor 300mgs, Remeron 30mgs, Wellbutrin 150mgs, Vistaril 50mgs, Xanax 0.25mgs and Cogentin

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.