Photo
- - - - -

Anxiety and caffeine and alcohol

anxiety

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 lipstickjunkie

lipstickjunkie

I'm not a doctor, I just play one in my imagination.

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

Is anyone else sensitive to caffeine and alcohol? Both make we wired pretty easily.
current dx: anxiety, depression, OCD, PTSD, insomnia

#2 Odetta

Odetta

• Pip
  • 596 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:17 PM

Yes, because of my meds.
Odetta

Dx: BPII, usually mixed and/or rapid cycling
Current Rx: 200 mgs Lamotrigine, 100 mgs Trazadone, 40 mgs Geodon
Previous Rx: Prozac, Celexa, Welbutrin, a boatload of whole food supplements

#3 muriel

muriel

don't fuck with elderly kitty

• Pip
  • 401 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:14 PM

Me too, with or without meds. I avoid both for the most part.

#4 involver

involver

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:27 AM

Well , until february 2011 i could drink 6 redbulls in 1 hour then go to sleep . For some reasons i think im sensitive to caffeine too , now . Even a coffee made from 500 ml of water and a little spoon of coffee makes me anxious and agitated . It might be a minerals imbalance that makes your body more sensitive . I am also on Klonopin , and even with it , i still feel the caffeine .

#5 malachite

malachite

• Pip
  • 1349 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:32 PM

I think I actually need to give up caffeine because of the effects on my anxiety. I just don't want to because I love my morning coffee. Alcohol always makes me anxious and depressed the day after drinking.

Edited by malachite27, 05 December 2011 - 02:33 PM.

Type of Crazy: MDD and GAD
Former meds: Geodon, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lithium, Xanax, Klonopin, Zoloft, Paxil, Lamictal, Temazapam, Risperdal, Serzone, Trazodone, Lexapro, Xanax XR, Buspar, Effexor, Desipramine, and about seven more I can't remember.
Current psych meds: Clomipramine (50mg.) Valium (2mg.4
x a day) Trileptal (600mg.) Lunesta (2.mg) OR Ambien (10mg.) Trazodone (100mg.)
Other Meds: Crestor, Metformin,Omeprazole, Propanalol
Physical woes: Migraine, PCOS, CFIDS, Diabetes, High cholesterol
ECT (Fall 2010), (Fall 2012)

"You might be the wrong color, yeah, you might just be too poor. Justice isn't something, just anyone can afford."-Ani Difranco

#6 The Emperor

The Emperor

Is there a hole for me to get sick in?

• Pip
  • 3728 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:49 PM

Coffee does ramp up my anxiety. My face starts twitching. I won't give it up though.

Alcohol relaxes me the night I'm drinking it, but the next day I might feel more anxious and/or depressed.

What the docs wrote down about my Crazy: Bipolar II, Some anxiety issue
The pills they give me to fix this shit: Lamictal 175mg, clonazepam 1mg , Trileptal 600mg
Pills that did NOT fix this shit: Sertraline, Buspirone, Mirtazipine, Paroxetine, Gabapentin, Effexor XR, Lorazepam, Cymbalta(twice), Zolpidem, Bupropion XL, Pristiq, Fluoxetine, Vistaril, Lexapro, Celexa, Trazodone, Geodon

Pills that worked well enough but side effects were total shit so I stopped: Abilify, Lithium, valium

sun moon stars rain

#7 Phoenix_Rising

Phoenix_Rising

Medicated for your safety

• Inmate
  • 3792 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:21 PM

I'm ok with caffeine, but have been on combos that I couldn't tolerate it.

I'd probably be better off without alcohol as I think it has an overall negative effect.

Current Dx: BPII, GAD, OCD and PTSD

Other crap: sleep apnea and diabetes type II

Rx: Prozac 20 mg; Zyprexa 15 mg; Gabapentin 1200 mg; Vyvanse 100 mg;  Klonopin 2 mg and prn; Lithium 900 mg; Meformin 2000 mg; Metropolol 200 mg; Premarin .625 mg  Insulin 19 mg

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me? Crazy?  I should get down off this unicorn and slap you.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I am not a mental health care professional, please seek out a professional's advice.

#8 San

San

Lawful Evil

• Inmate
  • 4118 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:16 AM

Caffeine makes me jitterly as hell.
I do drink, not as much as I used to, but I'm a cheap drunk, heh. (I haven't gotten drunk since September, anyways. I enjoy the occasional cocktail)

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type, ADHD - Inattentive

Rx: Piportil Depot (75mg injection, 2 weeks) Clonazepam (2mg) Ritalin(30mg) Gabapentin (300mg and going up) Wellbutrin (150mg) Artane (10mg) Seroquel (100mg) ECT (2008)

Craftasaurus Rex / brainsick bipolar blog / Antipsychotic Comparison Tool

#9 pomme de guerre

pomme de guerre

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:33 AM

I can have a cup or two of coffee or tea throughout the day and be fine, but anything more than that and it sends my anxiety levels skyrocketing to the point that it's almost unbearable. I'm sensitive to alcohol anyway, but more so now because of my meds. Alcohol actually takes away some of the anxiety, but hangovers make it worse, so it's a thin line.
Crazy: purely obsessional OCD, social anxiety, adult ADHD primarily inattentive
Anti-crazy: Zoloft 25mg

#10 lysergia

lysergia

ripping off the bootstraps

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3583 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:49 AM

if i'm not mixed or hypo i'm okay with coffee on this cocktail. alcohol, not a chance. i get very sick very quickly, and i also cry after one drink as well as throw up.

current dx:

BPII, DDNOS, major anxiety issues, PTSD issues (now subclinical), ED issues (recovered anorexic), auditory/visual/tactile hallucinations

current rx:

bupropion XL 300 mg, clonazepam 3 mg, zopiclone 7.5 mg, synthroid 0.15 mg (supplements: D3, B12, Omega 3)

download.jpg

#11 Blue Morpho

Blue Morpho

Mad Scientist

• Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

Can have a cup or two of tea w caffeine, no problem. More than that and I start to get a little nervous. Worse, it seems to make my sugar spike, and then drop. I'm a bit hypoglycemic, and I hate the low feeling I get when my sugar is low. BUT it sometimes works wonders on my migraines. Two espressos will really do the trick about 1/3 of the time. For me, it's worth the nervous-groggy sensation to have a good chance of getting rid of a migraine.

I can have a glass of wine a day with no problem. Two drinks and I need to wait a day to feel back to 'normal.' I end up a little foggy and achy. I do occasionally go out drinking with friends, which means more like three drinks. I start out relaxed, but then get jumpy, and then end up feeling down. Takes two or three days to get back to 'normal.' Again, part of this is a sugar issue, since alcohol converts pretty much straight to sugar. Alcohol w food is much easier for me to deal with than a drink on an empty stomach.

I guess I'm saying that for me, as long as I'm moderate w alcohol/caffeine, I don't have anxiety issues.
The Blue Morpho
Adventures in Anxiety Land

DX: Chronic PTSD, OCD, GAD, Depression, Panic Disorder, SAD, Social Anxiety, Specific Phobias, probably Adult ADHD
RX: Celexa 40mg daily, Trazodone in test as sleep aid, Ativan 1mg as needed, bunch o' vitamins
Old RX: Buspar, Sonata, also used to be at Celexa 80mg

#12 sonicwhite

sonicwhite

The great unknown

• Pip
  • 1135 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:09 AM

Yes def caffiene it makes me loopy at the end of the day. Alcohol makes me feel like crap and I hate coming down.

Diagnosed Drug Induced Psychosis...ADHD.....OCD.....Cannibas Psychotic Disorder..GAD.....Major Depression disorder-recurrent...Severe, Bipolar I....Migraines, Cluster headaches.... .

Gabapentin...600 mg once a day....Effexor XR 75 mg.....Risperdal...4 mg..... clonazepam 1 mg twice daily. Seroquel 200 mg once at night.....Prilosec 20 mg in the morning......Inderal 60 mg ER one in the morning. Remeron 45 mg once at night. Naratriptan 2.5 PRN .....Lyrica 75 mg 3x daily....Paxil 40 mg....Prazosin 2 mg......

The sun is a round window into the city of gold.

#13 netsavy006

netsavy006

I'm Andy

• Pip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:30 PM

I find the way I 'react' to caffeine is weird. Sometimes I can drink something with caffeine in it and it will calm me down. Another time it may not affect me one way or the other. And other times, it may make my anxiety worse.

(maybe because of the Clozaril), I find that caffeine doesn't really interfere with my sleep at night.

I try not to have more than one caffeinated beverage a day because I know I have an anxiety problem / disorder.

- Andy -
Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia + Acid Reflex Disease
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg QID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Pantoprazole + Centrum + Fish Oil

#14 Hooker

Hooker

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:41 PM

Even the caffeine in tea gives me rage.

#15 Mimitv

Mimitv

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:39 PM

I find limited caffeine okay, but not all year round. Alcohol is generally not a good idea with any medication, being that it is a depressant. I used to justify self-medicating with alcohol by reading the side-effects of meds....then saying "f*@k it" I won't take my meds and drink. Not too smart. Over 20 years of playing with meds/no meds/booze, I don't need it to chill.

Here is a link on decreasing the amount of caffeine in green tea, which has benefits:
http://www.wikihow.c...en-Tea-Caffeine

Hope this helps.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
~Dr. Seuss

#16 kitthekitten128

kitthekitten128

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:32 PM

I used to drink five or so cups to get through full time school. It doesn't mix well with my anxiety meds though. I am cutting back. Slowly, down to two or three now. I get twitchy and jittery. I was asked once if I was on drugs by this a**hole clerk at a supermarket. I still am angry about that!
-Kit the Kitten-

#17 enlightened_plutonian

enlightened_plutonian

The boundary between reality and delusion is currently out of the office

• Pip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:50 PM

Caffeine doesn't affect me much unless I am particularly anxious, in which case I will tend to drink herbal teas or cold drinks depending on how I feel. I find a cup of coffee in the morning does help to wake me from Seroquel sedation.

I can't remember alcohol having an effect on my anxiety, but it did affect all my other symptoms so was really a bad idea for me. But the time I was drinking, I didn't have bad anxiety.
Current diagnosis = psychosis NOS
History = depression (remission since April 2009), SI (remission since April 2009), alcohol abuse (remission since March 2007)
Past false dx = BPD (only symptom I had was SI), schizophrenia (I was very sleep deprived at the time)
Also have diabetes and pain issues (undiagnosed) and hayfever (April - June)

Current meds = Seroquel 800mg XR (as 400 in the morning and 400 in the night)
Also on insulin and Microgynon

I am not deluded, I just don't agree with your reality!

#18 Thomas

Thomas

• Pip
  • 2051 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

I quit smoking 65 days ago and almost immediately upped my coffee intake from 1 pot to 2. I am also drinking God only knows how much tea. I am sleeping OK, but my depression seems to be growing worse day by day.

Edited by Thomas, 10 December 2011 - 04:57 PM.

Dx:BP1, OCD, Diabetetes Type 2, Hypertension, Gastroparesis & kidney stones
Rx: Abilify 20 mg., Klonopin 6.0 mg., Restoril 30 mg. Cymbalta 120 mg. , Lamictal 400 mg., Cogentin 1.5 mg. Crestor 10 mg. hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg., Hyzaar 100/25 mg., domperidone 20 mg. and Levemir Insulin 40 units, Actos 45 mg.,Proprananol ER 80 mg., Hydrocodone/APAP 40 mg./4000 mg., tizanidine 1 mg., Fiorocet 3 mg.

#19 usedtobecrazy

usedtobecrazy

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:58 AM

It seems pretty logical caffeine being a stimulant would increase anxiety, of course nothings clear cut. Every psychologist or psychiatrist ALWAYS says to limit/eliminate your caffeine intake. Although I'm a hypocrite cause I def need a couple cans of Coke Zero at times to wake my ass up!
"A man is relieved and gay when he has put his heart into his work and done his best; but what he has said or done otherwise, shall give him no peace. It is a deliverance which does not deliver. In the attempt his genius deserts him; no muse befriends; no invention, no hope."

#20 claire466

claire466

just wee me!!!

• Pip
  • 478 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:49 AM

Alcohol always makes me very depressed the day after :o The only reason i drink is at a weekend because of my social anxiety, i cant be around my friends or family. its really hard because i was very sociable at one point. But i am going to be getting help from my therapist and nurse. So hopefully things will be looking up for me and I can be free of social anxiety. :D
Social anxiety disorder/Depression.

meds= 150mg Venlafaxine, 200mg Seroquel.

If you don’t like something change it; if you can’t change it, change the way you think about it. ~Mary Engelbreit

Posted Image

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.