weight loss abilify

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TakeAChillPill

TakeAChillPill

• Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:32 AM

Hi. I am a compulsive over-eater who finally settled into a healthier way of eating. I take 20mg Abilify and 20mg Prozac. My diet involves calorie restriction without counting. I also use portion moderation. I'm going back to Weight Watchers soon. I am also starting to walk 2 miles everyday but not consistently. I'm taking Abilify because I've had elements of Schizoaffective in the past and even though the doctor isn't sure if I have it or not I still take it as a precautionary measure. My question is: Can I lose weight on Abilify? My starting weight was 297lbs and I'm 5'5. I've been on my diet for three weeks and I don't think I've been consistent enough- it shows! I haven't lost a pound since my initial 7 lb loss the first week! I'm down to 290lbs though and thats still quite a relief.
Does anyone here have any experience with weight loss and Abilify?
Prozac 20mgs and Abilify 15mgs. Schizoaffective.

#2 sylvan

sylvan

Pill Party

• Admin
  • 4268 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:47 AM

Losing weight on Abilify was almost impossible for me. I tried for a long time. Then, I started Metformin. The combination worked for me. It was still slow going but my metabolism is screwed up from years of dieting so slow isn't surprising.

The walking is great. Keep it up.

It has been a year since one of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing passed away. He was strong, intelligent, caring, and honest. I had the honor of calling him Daddy. I will miss both my parents for as long as I live. I hope that I can be even half as good of a spouse, parent, and friend as the two of them were. Life is now forever changed for me. It will never be like it was. That doesn't mean it will all be bad, it will just be different.

#3 rowan77

rowan77

• Pip
  • 2574 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:51 AM

I had been on Zyprexa and gained lots of weight. I then switched to Abilify and managed to lose the weight I had gained on Zyprexa. Everyone is different. A lot of people find Abilify weight neutral, however there are also many people who gain weight on it. In my case I gained weight on Zyprexa, Risperdal and Seroquel but not on Abilify where I lost weight.

DX: Bipolar Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder

Current RX: Lithium Carbonate 800mg, Seroquel XR 800mg, Lamictal 100mg x2 daily, Procyclidine 5mg, prozac 40mg 

Also Yasmin 0.3/3mg for PCOS and Losec 20mg for Hiatus Hernia

Previous RX:
Anti-depressants: dothiepin, clomipramine, paroxetine, mirtazepine, lofepramine, venlafaxine, escitalopram, agomelatine
Anti-psychotics: thoridazine, risperidone, olanzapine, haloperidol, aripiprazole, chlorpromazine
Mood Stabilisers: carbamazepine, sodium valproate,
Anxiolytics: alprazolam, diazepam, lorazepam, clonazepam
Hypnotics: lormetazepam, temazepam, zopiclone, zolpidem, flurazepam
ECT: 6 Treatments in 2003; 11 Treatments in 2005

"Be yourself - everybody else is taken." Oscar Wilde

#4 muriel

muriel

don't fuck with elderly kitty

• Pip
  • 401 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:09 AM

It is possible. Metformin is something you could try, as is a low-carb diet.

Also, portion control without counting calories can fail because you may be getting in extra calories other ways than just how much of each thing you're eating. If you've eaten badly for a long time, WW or something where you keep diligent track of what you eat is going to work better.

#5 LilacOutsideMyWindow

LilacOutsideMyWindow

at this point in my life

• Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:44 AM

I've lost 40lbs on Abilify, but it's been hard.

I did it with low-cab, low calorie eating.

Right now, I'm maintaining, with in a 5 lb range, eating almost "normal". But I'm still overweight by 15-20 lbs.

Low carb may just be the way I have to live, since I like how Abilify cleared my head.
Hell, I just want to live happily ever after every now and then - Jimmy Buffet

Dx: Nov '09 = BPI (years before GAD, '08 PMDD)
Rx: Lamotrigine 200mg, Abilify 5mg, Pristiq 100mg, Warfarin (dose varies)
Other stuff: D3

Previous Rx: Zyprexa, Seroquel, Trileptal, Diltiazem (for chest pain)

#6 Chocolate Heartache

Chocolate Heartache

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:41 AM

I'm not on Abilify, I'm on Seroquel, but I've lost 123 pounds in the last 6 months. I admit it's not through the healthiest means (which is why I'm perusing this bit of the board) but it is possible, and if you're shooting for a more steady weight loss, it should be do-able.

If you struggle with increased appetite, you might find Slimming World easier than Weight Watchers - it's a great diet but gives you unlimited amounts of some foods, so you don't have to go hungry. If you feel you have a portion control problem which you want to address, WW is more the way to go. Either are great lifestyles, I've seen more patients get more results with those two than any other way, and yes, I'm including bariatric surgery in that.

If you're overeating as a response to stressors, you may need to work through in therapy alternate ways to deal with those feelings, otherwise they'll come out in something else.
My psych can't pick a diagnosis and stick with it. "Just plain crazy" isn't in the DSM-IV...

#7 antuan.o

antuan.o

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:20 AM

Everything is posible i lost 35 lbs after that diet. Now still have 10 lbs over weight and next start of the month i will go to the gym and make that 10lbs to disapier :)

#8 Thomas

Thomas

• Pip
  • 2051 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

I'm on abilify too, but it has given me no weight loss. I stay between 325 and 335 with little variation.
Dx:BP1, OCD, Diabetetes Type 2, Hypertension, Gastroparesis & kidney stones
Rx: Abilify 20 mg., Klonopin 6.0 mg., Restoril 30 mg. Cymbalta 120 mg. , Lamictal 400 mg., Cogentin 1.5 mg. Crestor 10 mg. hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg., Hyzaar 100/25 mg., domperidone 20 mg. and Levemir Insulin 40 units, Actos 45 mg.,Proprananol ER 80 mg., Hydrocodone/APAP 40 mg./4000 mg., tizanidine 1 mg., Fiorocet 3 mg.

#9 surreal

surreal

• Pip
  • 661 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

I wish I could lose weight on Abilify- sadly, I have gained 10+ lbs since starting it a month ago. I keep gaining.

Dx: Schizophrenia

Current Rx: Paxil (20mg), Thorazine (25mg), Ambien (10mg prn)

#10 JellyBean

JellyBean

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:42 PM

For me, Abilify has been pretty much weight neutral. I have been on it two years. Everyone reacts to meds differently though. I have been gaining weight lately but I'm not sure what to attribute that too. I don't think it's the Abilify after all this time.

#11 papertrees

papertrees

• Pip
  • 753 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

I'm gaining weight. I've been on Abilify in the past, and I didn't gain. But now I'm ravenous! I can't seem to lose the weight! I hate this.

Visit my blog: Paperskyscrapers
Diagnosis: Schizoaffective, Bipolar Type; Borderline personality disorder; Anorexia nervosa
Meds: Saphris 10mg, Lamictal 200mg, Valium 10mg.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: weight loss, abilify

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.