Antibiotics amp up the crazy?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 balletomane

balletomane

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:32 PM

This is the third antibiotic that I've had a mentally interesting reaction to. After two days of bactrim, my anxiety is through the fucking roof and I'm discontinuing under the advice of my physician. I also had hallucinations on ciprofloxacin and panic attacks on Biaxin.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm just hoping to hell I don't Get a UTI anytime soon because antibiotics seem to ruin my stability in a heartbeat.
Dx: Bipolar II, treatment resistant depression with paranoid and aggressive tendencies
Rx: 350mg Lamictal, 150mg Wellbutrin XL, 1mg Klonopin, 30mg Lexapro
What doesn't work: Zoloft, Paxil, Zyprexa, Risperdal, Abilify, Pristiq, Geodon, Cymbalta

#2 Cetkat

Cetkat

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe..

• Pip
  • 3140 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

I'd never heard of that, but sure enough.. those are listed as possible side-effects. Apparently you're not alone: http://www.medhelp.o...ics/show/355869

Do you know others that you've taken that don't produce those kind of effects?

I made a list for you showing the classes of the antibiotics that gave you problems. The others of the same type may be more likely to cause the same reaction than those from other classes.
  • Sulfonamides: Bactrim
  • Fluoro-quinolones: Ciprofloxacin **The quinolones are apparently said to be the worst
  • Macrolides: Biaxin
Here are two classes that are alternatives which are strong enough to take care of main infections (assuming the bacteria is susceptible):

Penicillins: Amoxicillin/Augmenten
Cephalosporins: Misc (http://en.wikipedia....i/Cephalosporin)

You may want to keep a list and try to determine which are safe for you and which aren't.

Personally, I use cranberry juice for UTI's. Works quite well.
http://women.webmd.c...fection-quickly
_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

Dx: Major Depression w/ Dysthymia and Panic Disorder, ADHD, Fibromyalgia
Pdoc's Theory Dx: Bipolar NOS (recently re-theorized by current pdoc)
Rx : Emsam 6mg/24hr, Strattera 80mg, Lyrica 100mg, Armour Thyroid 60mg (1 gr), Nadolol prn, Xanax prn, Methocarbamol 750mg prn
EXRx : Zoloft, Seroquel, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lithium, Lamictal, Remeron, Lexapro, Abilify, Zyprexa, Geodon, Cymbalta, Paxil, Sonata, Lunesta, Effexor, Metadate, Risperdal, BuSpar, Ambien, Invega, Tegretol, Nortriptyline, Desipramine, Deplin, Neurontin, Concerta, Trazodone, Mirapex, Amitriptyline, Saphris, Prestiq

I do whatever my rice krispies tell me to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"OK so cheese is trapped, so you can't have cheese." - MDK
_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _. _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.