work and schizophrenia / schizoaffective

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 g8orgirl

g8orgirl

• Pip
  • 329 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:30 AM

Just curious how many of you have jobs? I was employed at my last job for almost 3 yeas, and now it's been almost 3 years since I quit. I'm now on full-time disability. I just couldn't handle the stress and being around people for 8 hours a day. I would like to think I will go back to work one day, I'm only 31 and I can't imagine never working again. I do enjoy being at home though, I know some people would go stir-crazy sitting at home all day but it doesn't bother me much.
Schizoaffective - depressive type
Meds: Saphris (20 mg) Effexor ER (75 mg) Ambien (10 mg)

#2 Benzoman

Benzoman

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:47 AM

Medication and therapy can be helpfull with the right combo of both. Also I know that many mental hospital have a coffee shop or something similar you can work at with someone there supporting you and they'll understand if you can't come in some days... its like a program to get you used to working. Look into it if its something you think you can handle right now. Plus its and excuse to get out of the house.
Your thoughts create your reality. Always try to come from a place of love in your heart and good things will follow. Though our troubles seem like mountains, theres gold in them hills. Try not to concentrate on what you can't do, instead think about all you can do and all you have. Even if its very little, at least its something to hold onto.

Much Love,

Benz

#3 crazyuser

crazyuser

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:04 AM

im on pension.

#4 GoldCoin

GoldCoin

• Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:09 AM

I have schizoaffective disorder and i work full time.
I think i have the right combo of meds and i go to therapy.
You get used to it after a little while.

I hope one day you can rejoin the work force.
Past Diagnosis - Cluster A or B personality traits, Border Line Personality Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, Cyclothymia, Psychosis NOS, Bi Polar, Dysthmia
Current Diagnosis - Schizoaffective Disorder (depression type), Social anxiety disorder

Past Medication- Effexor, Prozac, Diazepam, Mogodon, Temazepam, Sodium Valporate, Zyprexa, Ativan, Edronax, Lithium carbonate, clonazepam, , lamictal, Zeldox, Seroquel, Thorazine, Abilify, lamictal, Imovane, Lexapro
Current Medication -clozapine (400mg), Amisulpride (800mg), Clopixal (10mg), Clomipramine (100mg), xanax (1-4mg prn), Provigil (300mg) Lots of vitamins and minerals.

I also have had acuphase 3 times, have had many a ECT and have been through Depot injections.

Feel free to PM me.

#5 Benzoman

Benzoman

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:28 AM

Take into account the time it takes to heal from your mental illness. The hardships it can bring can scar you mentally and it takes time to heal from that. Go slow and give yourself time.
Your thoughts create your reality. Always try to come from a place of love in your heart and good things will follow. Though our troubles seem like mountains, theres gold in them hills. Try not to concentrate on what you can't do, instead think about all you can do and all you have. Even if its very little, at least its something to hold onto.

Much Love,

Benz

#6 Guest_Vapourware_*

Guest_Vapourware_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:04 AM

I have schizoaffective as well, and in the past few years, I've alternated between full-time studying and full-time contract work. I find contract work to be manageable because you are only at an agency for a finite period, and then you can take some time off between jobs.

Currently, I'm on a part-time contract to write for a website, and I'm able to work from home.

#7 Another bipolar bear

Another bipolar bear

• Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:12 AM

I have schizoaffective and i have never worked, i am 20 and i really want to work but don't think anyone would employ me even if i could work because i am not at all stable.

Schizoaffective Disorder (Bipolar type), Complex - Post Traumatic Stress Disorder , Anxiety Disorder NOS

Lithium 1000mg , (Abilify) Aripiprazole 20mg, (Zyprexa) Olanazpaine 5mg PRN

“When you are mad, mad like this, you don't know it. Reality is what you see. When what you see shifts, departing from anyone else's reality, it's still reality to you.”
Marya Honrnbacher

#8 waffles

waffles

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:54 AM

I am schizoaffective and have worked for the past 10 years. Fortunately, I've been employed places where they understand the occasional, or more often, hospital stay.

Dx: Schizoaffective Bipolar Type
Current Meds: Abilify 30mg, Cymbalta 120mg, Remeron 60mg, Klonopin 1mg 3xday, Risperdal 1.25mg
Previous Meds: Geodon, Pristiq, celexa, lithium, Seroquel, lexepro, luvox, zoloft, prozac, buspar, Saphris, etc.

#9 Benzoman

Benzoman

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:09 AM

I'm scitzoaffective and I can remember being at a call center in a bathroom stall about 3 years ago banging my head off the stall and crying. Work and I don't always agree. But that was back before I got on the proper medication (I was on none) to stabalize my mood and rationalize things a little better. thats just an example of how a medication change can make work more managable. Now, I'm actively seeking part time work (hoping to get in at a juice bar) and hoping to one day transition off of disability. But the proper building blocks need to be put in place first. Medication and therapy. They go hand in hand.

Much Love,

Benz

#10 enlightened_plutonian

enlightened_plutonian

The boundary between reality and delusion is currently out of the office

• Pip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

I don't work, and haven't since before I started showing symptoms (2006). I have had 2 attempts at full time study, but both failed miserably due to my symptoms (add the depression in there too), one after 6 months and the other after 2 months.

My plan now, that I am on meds and getting treatment, is to take it slowly. I know I cannot just get a job (and I have enough anxiety about the interviews, how can I hide any symptoms etc.) right now. The stress would just be too much for me. And I can accept that at this time work is not an option. I am studying part time (one night a week) and that is about all I can handle right now. Over the next few years (I've got to do 3 more years after this one before I qualify, but when I do them is dependent on my health) my study time will increase, but it is a course requirement that I get therapy alongside the studying (I'm training to be a tdoc) which I believe will help me to cope.

Perhaps I could get a part time job later on if I have to, in a non-social environment (I cope best in small groups, 2 or 3 people at once). Or I could wait until I qualify and work one-to-one with clients, still part time to start with and possibly progressing to full time later. But it all depends on my health. I know I need stability to work in this field, and also to recognise when I am going completely batshit and take time off. Both of these need a lot more work from me, but are hopefully achievable goals in the future.
Current diagnosis = psychosis NOS
History = depression (remission since April 2009), SI (remission since April 2009), alcohol abuse (remission since March 2007)
Past false dx = BPD (only symptom I had was SI), schizophrenia (I was very sleep deprived at the time)
Also have diabetes and pain issues (undiagnosed) and hayfever (April - June)

Current meds = Seroquel 800mg XR (as 400 in the morning and 400 in the night)
Also on insulin and Microgynon

I am not deluded, I just don't agree with your reality!

#11 apotheion

apotheion

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

I have schizophrenia and am currently on disability. Most of my adult life has been spent on disability. I am 35 and the longest I have been able to hold a job is about one year, but the work environment has always been a problem I think. the wrong work situation for my personality that caused stress and return of symptoms, hospitalization, etc.

I'm presently working on finishing my Bachelors degree (6 more classes to go) and hope to get a civil service job soon and join the workforce. It would feel really good to have a job that I can handle and be off of disability benefits.
Diagnosis:Schizophrenia and ASD

Current meds: Geodon 80mg per day, Seroquel 300mg at bedtime & 100mg in the morning, Navane 5mg at bedtime, Klonopin 1mg twice per day, Trazadone 100mg at bedtime, Ambien prn

Previous meds: Too many to list, all of the AAP's except any that have come out in the US in the last 2 years.

#12 koa

koa

Live every week like it's shark week.

• Inmate
  • 1659 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:23 PM

I am a student now, but since showing symptoms I worked for about a year for my father on an irregular basis, and shortly after my second hospitalization I was able to hold a job as a waiter for about six months, before they fired me for asking for too much time off. It was really good for me to have a part-time job waiting tables because of the structure it gave me, and I think it was good to build confidence. However it was also really, really hard. Being a waiter is really stressful and fast paced, and there is a really large degree of social interaction with it. Mostly the customers were polite but there were a couple of really rude old ladies. It didn't help that I had gained weight from my meds, in terms of being confident in front of people.

I have a job right now as a graduate assistant. I have had a lot of support and have confided in one or two of my professors about my mental illness. I am told that if I have to be hospitalized I will be able to make up the work or take a semester off without losing my scholarship, depending on the length of the hospitalization. This semester I have a job where I do maintenance and also do things like grade papers, in addition to being in a classroom twice a week helping an actual professor. I will eventually teach my own class, next semester. I am pretty nervous about the responsibility and especially the level of social interaction and having to speak every day in front of a group. But at least it is not difficult to manage a classroom of college students, at least compared to k-12 students (I KNOW I could not do that!). This degree program is pretty challenging for me and I keep having thoughts of dropping out, that it is too hard. Even though my grades have been good I keep thinking that the quality of my work is not up to snuff. I often have trouble getting out of bed in the morning and cannot stay up late working like I used to (or for that matter, even skip meals.) I am really afraid that I will fail or bomb out. If I think about it too much I can get really worked up. I have to just take everything a day at a time.

Edited by koakua, 20 January 2012 - 10:46 PM.

Diagnosis: Schizoaffective Disorder, Depressive Type (or possibly depression with psychotic features)
RX:, Latuda 40mg, Lexapro 10 mg, Wellbutrin 300 mg,
Previous RX: Zyprexa, Abilify, Prozac, Ativan, Risperdal

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." -- Henry David Thoreau

#13 hammock

hammock

inky

• Pip
  • 417 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:36 AM

I am schizoaffective

I have a job but I haven't worked in a few weeks, I had a bad spell around the beginning of december, paranoid and such, then was with family over a break, and then when I got back we had flooding and the road is washed out...still getting over my bad times too, so I may not work until next week (I hope)

I am very lucky to work in a field that allows for madness and for and with people who are understanding and supportive. I work part time right now.
I have either psychotic depression or schizoaffective disorder.
I take prozac 40mg, Wellbutrin, and seroquel 400mg a day; and ambien or temazepam at night.
I'm an artist for a living. you can visit ***my art blog*** that's how I pay the rent.

#14 JellyBean

JellyBean

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

I have a part-time job and work at PCT (Primary Care Trust). A full-time job was offered to me but I turned it down as I have loads of appointments to keep with my pdoc and CPN. I prefer part-time anyway, as time goes quickly and that way I stress out less. I am very lucky I can afford to do this though, because meds are free for me. And so are my appointments.

Edited by JellyBean, 21 January 2012 - 02:38 PM.

#15 gabe911

gabe911

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

i have schizophrenia. i havent worked since 2008. i am currently 23 years old. i also have had a hard time doing school as well. i applied for disability and waiting to get it.
Dx: Paranoid Schizophrenia

Rx: Risperidone. 2 mg

#16 TwilightPrincess

TwilightPrincess

Smile. It no broke your face.

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:42 PM

I've been at my current job for the last 6 1/2 years. My symptoms didn't start until earlier this year, and I've had to take time off now and then (and I've been hospitalized once). My job has been very patient with me so far.
DX: Paranoid Schizophrenia
RX: Depakote (1500mg) Clonazepam (1mg) Perphenazine (48mg) Ritalin (20mg)

#17 koali777

koali777

• Pip
  • 1057 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

I suck at work lately... I'm a math tutor, and with all the stress and delusions and weird sounds/thoughts, it makes me not only dumb sometimes or too stressed to deal with people, but it makes me angry and impatient. I hate it because people come to our lab to learn because they need help and although it's free to them, they don't deserve snippy-ness. When I was on Geodon for 8 months, I quit work because of cognitive blunting. I have that sometimes now. But we were recently snowed in and I took my Adderall and fish oil on Saturday and made sure I got lots of sleep and ate, and it made me cheerful and kind and smart at work. So high mental maintenance helps I have found.

Diagnoses: Bipolar 1 with psychotic features; juvenile diabetes; macular edema (due to over 2 decades of diabetes)

Current meds: Zyprexa Zydis- 10 mg twice daily; Lithium- 900 mg at night; Trileptal- 600mg twice daily; Wellbutrin XL- 300 mg daily; Ritalin- 10 mg twice daily; Vistaril- 50 mg PRN; insulin pump; birth control

Past antidepressants: Celexa, Zoloft, Lexapro, Anafranil, Nortriptyline, Pristiq, Wellbutrin SR

Past antipsychotics: Geodon, Abilify, Seroquel, Risperdal, Saphris, Invega, Latuda

Past mood stabilizers: Lithium, Tegretol

Past ADD meds: Vyvanse, Strattera, Adderall XR, Adderall IR

Past sleep meds: Ambien, Rozerem, Restoril, Benadryl, Trazodone

Past anti-anxiety meds: Klonopin

Past misc. meds: Cogentin, various types of insulin

#18 memyselfandi

memyselfandi

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:27 PM

I have schizoaffective bipolar type. I'm a strange case. I started experiencing symptoms when I was 13, when my father started the sexual abuse. From that point on, the symptoms became worse and worse as I wasn't allowed to seek treatment because he didn't want to be found out for what he was doing to me. By the time I was 23, I was finally noticed at work where he and I shared an office and they said I had to get treatment or I would be fired. My Dad allowed this if I reported every word exactly to him after every appointment with the counselor. He told me what to say and what not to say and I obeyed because I was so very brainwashed by him and also an easy target for his brainwashing because of my condition. 

But I'm getting off the blog subject, sorry. I have worked for 1 to 3 years at a time since I was 17 (always with my Dad). But since my Dad died, I have a very hard time coping because he basically told me what to think all my life and I don't know how to think clearly on my own. Now with him passed on, I can't hold a job down for more than 3 weeks at best. I am coming to grips to the fact that he is the reason the world scares me constantly and it shouldn't scare me like this. I've been on SSDI for 10 years (since he died) and I have tried to work, but my fears are so very great I can't stay sane for very long. Because I am such an easy target for abusive co-workers, I crumble every time. It seems to be always the case that the office bully smells my fear and it is always more than even a sane person can take, let alone a schizo. I have been wrongfully fired 3 times for showing symptom because of such abuse and at this point, I would rather die than go back to the intense bullying I always attract to myself. Working again is my worst fear and just thinking about the abuse co-workers cause me drives me completely insane.

My counselor tells me I will be on SSDI for the rest of my life, but I constantly worry he's lying. I'm so scared, I can't even cry anymore.

Please, anyone who is raising children, don't home-school them, please. Being home-schooled is why I had no help when my Dad did that to me for 29 years. I'm now a 40 year old with the fear of a 2 year old, uneducated and insane with no hope for a normal life, ever. Self-defense against high school bullying is something I don't know. I fall apart with things that a 12 year old knows how to handle. I know being schizo doesn't help, but my strange life adds to the problem quite a bit.

#19 kitkatt91

kitkatt91

• Pip
  • 214 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:45 PM

i am on ssi and don't work or go to school. i don't get stir-crazy either. its embarrassing i sit on the couch in the same position from the time i wake up till i go to bed, but im never bored or bothered. i do want to go to work or school one day though because i am embarrassed of myself. i don't really know how it will go, but i want very badly to successfully do school or work. it all comes in waves, sometimes im fine then it gets bad for months and months. i dont know what i woud do if i was working and had a relapse. im hoping i never haave one again.

#20 CookieN

CookieN

• Pip
  • 762 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

I havent been able to work since I got ill. I miss working and earning my own money. I like to feel productive. Even though I am not able to work I like to keep myself busy, reading, exercising.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.