Photo
- - - - -

Are there any antipsychotics that don't cause weight gain?

antipsychotics weight gain

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 azul

azul

octobutt

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:26 AM

I'm seeing my p-doc this afternoon, and I need to get off some of my drugs. I know what I need for my anxiety, but I want to know... are there any antipsychotics that DON'T cause weight gain?

There might be a topic like this but I'm so tired I cannot be bothered to search anymore than I have been. e _e

there is some madness in my love, and some reason in my madness

dx: borderline personality disorder, bipolar mixed, social anxiety, poly-cystic ovarian syndrome(PCOS), irritable bowel syndrome(IBS)
rx: topamax: 200mg, zoloft: 150 mg, risperdal: 1mg, ativan: 1mg as needed, metformin: 850mg, probiotic: as needed

past rx: depakote, adderall, lamictal, paxil, wellbutrin, nuvigil

#2 tryp

tryp

DBT = Diary Card Bingo

• Inmate
  • 6808 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:28 AM

Weight gain is one of those side effects that is very individual and different between people. There are some that are known to be particularly bad offenders for it (Seroquel and Zyprexa) and some that have a reputation for being better (Abilify comes to mind) but really you just have to keep trying them until you find one that is more weight neutral for you.

Diag-nonsense: complex PTSD w/ recurrent depression
Tx: Lamictal (250) + prazosin (7.5) + "therapy"

#3 otherwise the curved

otherwise the curved

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:50 AM

I totally agree. I haven't gained weight on anything I've tried, and I've been on a whole lot of things (Seroquel and Abilify, but not Zyprexa) over the years. I just tell my doc that I don't want to gain weight and that if I do, I'm going to need to come off the drug. So far, my body hasn't responded in that way yet. But let your doc know that it's an issue for you. It helps.

#4 hallowedink

hallowedink

Reality is cheap; as soon as you stop believing in it, it goes away.

• Pip
  • 1769 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:39 AM

YMMV. I've had little to no weight gain on the Seroquel, even before I went on the wellbutrin. But Seroquel and Zyprexa generally seem to be worse in terms of weight gain.

My Brain Salad: BPD, MDD, Insomnia, Anorexia Nervosa, "very likely" C-PTSD, Migraines
What they give me for it: Seroquel 300mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, Lofepramine 140mg, Pizotifen 3mg, Naproxen PRN, Zopiclone PRN, Valium PRN`

Have also dealt with: Panic Disorder (now in remission), Self-harm (stopped ~4 months, but still relapsing occasionally)

#5 dedoubt

dedoubt

• Pip
  • 1588 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:00 AM

I've gained just a little bit of weight (3-5 pounds- maybe slightly more) on Stelazine (trifluoperazine). It's a typical AP, and works like gangbusters. My SEs have been minimal, though I don't know of any AP that doesn't have some. But man, my brain is quiet, and it's fabulous.

The crazy: Bipolar disorder 1 (rapid cycling, with psychosis), personality disorder (NOS), PTSD, ADD, uppity

The pills: None. Mutually agreed upon with my pdoc as the best choice for now.

"All at once is what eternity is." Kenneth Patchen

#6 rowan77

rowan77

• Pip
  • 2723 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

I gained a massive amount of weight on Zyprexa. I gained a lot of weight on Seroquel too. I also gained weight on Risperdal, but it is hard to know if the Risperdal was totally responsible as I was also on Zispin/Remeron at that time and it also causes weight gain. The only AAP I did not gain weight on was Abilify but it was also the least effective for me too, so you have to weigh up the pros and cons of each medication.

I was on one of the older Anti-psychotics (haloperidol) for a few months and did not gain weight on that.

As far as AAPs go, I have heard that Geodon (ziprasidone) is weight neutral. But as the previous posters said everyone is different in how they respond to medications. In my case if the medication even has a low chance of weight gain I will nearly always gain weight.....I just have to look at the medications and I pile on the pounds ...LOL

DX: Bipolar Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder

Current RX: Lithium Carbonate 800mg, Seroquel XR 800mg, Lamictal 100mg x2 daily, Procyclidine 5mg, prozac 40mg 

Also Yasmin 0.3/3mg for PCOS and Losec 20mg for Hiatus Hernia

Previous RX:
Anti-depressants: dothiepin, clomipramine, paroxetine, mirtazepine, lofepramine, venlafaxine, escitalopram, agomelatine
Anti-psychotics: thoridazine, risperidone, olanzapine, haloperidol, aripiprazole, chlorpromazine
Mood Stabilisers: carbamazepine, sodium valproate,
Anxiolytics: alprazolam, diazepam, lorazepam, clonazepam
Hypnotics: lormetazepam, temazepam, zopiclone, zolpidem, flurazepam
ECT: 6 Treatments in 2003; 11 Treatments in 2005

"Be yourself - everybody else is taken." Oscar Wilde

#7 jbooty

jbooty

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

Unfortunately every antipsychotic I've tried or heard of has a weight gain side effect. As if you aren't fighting with your weight along comes these lovely drugs. If you weren't crazy before, you'll be crazy on these.

#8 enlightened_plutonian

enlightened_plutonian

The boundary between reality and delusion is currently out of the office

• Pip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

Unfortunately it is very individual, and you will just have to try meds until you find the right one for you.

I haven't gained on Seroquel (apart from winter weight that I gain every year and then lose in early spring), but that is supposed to be one of the worst.

If weight neutral is important to you then you might be best leaving the meds that weight gain is more common with until the end, but don't rule anything out because you never know how a med will affect you until you try it.
Current diagnosis = psychosis NOS
History = depression (remission since April 2009), SI (remission since April 2009), alcohol abuse (remission since March 2007)
Past false dx = BPD (only symptom I had was SI), schizophrenia (I was very sleep deprived at the time)
Also have diabetes and pain issues (undiagnosed) and hayfever (April - June)

Current meds = Seroquel 800mg XR (as 400 in the morning and 400 in the night)
Also on insulin and Microgynon

I am not deluded, I just don't agree with your reality!

#9 DebbyDowner

DebbyDowner

'Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.' Freud

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:06 PM

I can tell you that I do not get that OMG-have to eat and eat NOW-feeling on Geodon. However, I haven't been on it long enough to see any weight gain or loss yet. My P. Doc put me on it and took me off of Saphris and before that Seroquel due to a FIFTY FIVE pound-yeah, yea-me! weight gain. so, here's to hoping. She says she thinks I will not gain any more and should be able to start losing in a few months.

Good luck!!!!
Debby Downer
RX Current Regimen: Geodon 20mg 2x a day.....Prozac 20 mg 2x a day...Klonopin .5 mg 3 x a day...Ambien 10 mg P.M.... Topomax 100 BID; Imitrex 50-100 as needed monthly

DX (1998): Bi-Polar 1 w/acute psychotic features mainly depressive, MDD w/psychotic features-yeah they can't decide or Bipolar 1 with OCD scrupulosity and PTSD, GAD and Panic Attacks.

No street drugs, no alcohol, I don't even smoke-hot date right? And I'm still barely keeping my head above water.

#10 saoirse

saoirse

"seer-sha"

• Pip
  • 440 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

If you're worried... DON'T go on zyprexa (or do so with caution)! I was on seroquel and it slowed my metabolism (I think) but I didn't gain any weight-- just had a hard time losing it. I am on Abilify right now and am losing weight.

Edited by saoirse, 09 February 2012 - 07:17 PM.

dx's: Bipolar I w/ psychosis, anxiety
meds: 1500 mg trileptal, 600 mg lithium, 4 mg risperidone

"but i don't want to go among mad people," alice remarked.
"oh you can't help that," said the Cat. "we're all mad here. i'm mad. you're mad."
"how do you know i'm mad?" said alice.
"you must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

#11 Gearhead

Gearhead

The Iguana In a Room Full of Rabbits

• Pip
  • 1791 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

I gained weight on Geodon, but not on Seroquel. YMMV. You won't know 'til you try.

Bipolar I, sports fans. Autism spectrum. With just un soupçon of migraine...

Give us this day our daily meds: 150 lamotrigine, 75 topiramate, 150 Seroquel XR, 100 Seroquel IR, 12.5 Ambien CR, 
60 mgs Cymbalta,  4000 i.u. Vit. D3, Etodolac 400 mgs  2x/daily for what may be arthritis-we don't know yet.

Cyclobenzaprine and Midrin PRN

Past, failed attempts: Effexor XR, Celexa, amitriptyline, Depakote, escitalopram, Geodon, klonopin, ativan, bupropion, busipirone, lithium, trazodone, Lunesta, Rozerem, gabapentine, mirtazapine, Wellbutrin, Temazepam, Sonata

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

#12 Neb

Neb

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

Unfortunately I would bet that all the antipsyc meds on the market right now will cause some sort of weight gain. Virtually anything that turns down dopamine will make you more hungry.

I take vyvanse on the weekdays, and zyprexa everyday. On the weekends I am definitely more tired and feel like I can never be full. First 2 weeks I was on zyprexa I gained about 7 pounds. I seem to have leveled out now and am holding a steady weight of 180. (im 6 foot 3, so its not like I am worried about becoming overweight).

Maybe talk to your pdoc about adding a low dose of stims to your regiment to improce side effects?

#13 terrydrives1979

terrydrives1979

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

I know of a girl who has been on 10mg Zyprexa for the last 10 years and suprise surprise she hasn't put on a single kilo... how weird is that !

It is VERY individual with weight gain as with ANY side effect

Edited by terrydrives1979, 10 February 2012 - 06:48 PM.

#14 daisy

daisy

Daisy

• Pip
  • 527 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

Like others have said, everybody's body is different. I gained five pounds rapidly on Abilify, while others lose weight. I wasn't on it long enough to tell you about how the weight issue ended up in the long-term. I did gain some on Geodon, but not much. I always felt hungry, though. And I gained a ton of weight on Seroquel... then again, I also ate in my sleep when I was on Seroquel...

The thing is... everybody is different. People also told me that Seroquel and Abilify would be more helpful for my depression than Geodon. I got worse on those, and got better on Geodon. You just have to see what works for you and what side effects you have... because you never know.

Of course, this is coming from the girl who never lost weight on any of her ADHD meds or Topamax... :) Damn, I was really wishing for that side effect, too!!!

Love, Daisy

Dx: Severe, indigenous, treatment-resistant, and recurrent atypical Major Depressive Disorder. I also have General Anxiety Disorder with panic attacks, mild OCD, ADHD - inattentive, and insomnia. I also have Hopefulness, Optimism, Idealism & Surprisingly Happy Disorder. That helps! :)
Rx: Aplenzin 522 mg, Lamictal 400 mg, lithium 600 mg, Geodon 160 mg, Armour Thyroid 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, clonazepam 1 mg TID, temazepam 30-60 mg, alprazolam 1 mg PRN, and Diet Dr Pepper 2x daily.
Previous Rx: Abilify, Adderall, Adderall XR, Ambien, Ambien CR, Concerta, Deplin, Effexor, Latuda, Lexapro, Lunesta, Parnate, Paxil, Pristiq, Prozac, Remeron, Ritalin, Seroquel, Sonata, Topamax, Trazodone, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, and Zoloft.
Other Treatments: 15 unilateral ECT treatments between August 5, 2011 to September 29, 2011; 13 bilateral ECT treatments between November 2, 2011 to December 16, 2011. Use of a light box.

"A dream is a wish your heart makes when you're fast asleep. In dreams, you will lose your heartaches. Whatever you wish for, you keep. Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through. No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dreams that you wish will come true."
-- Cinderella

"I could never be cynical. I wouldn't dare. I'd roll over and die before that."
-- Audrey Hepburn

"Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the not-quite, the not-yet, and the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish in the lonely frustration for the life you deserved and have never been able to reach. The world you desire can be won. It exists. It is real. It is possible. It is yours."
-- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

#15 koa

koa

Live every week like it's shark week.

• Inmate
  • 1734 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:32 AM

Latuda is supposed to be weight neutral. I am thinking of switching to it from Risperdol for that reason.
Diagnosis: Schizoaffective Disorder, Depressive Type (or possibly depression with psychotic features)
RX:, Latuda 40mg, Lexapro 10 mg, Wellbutrin 300 mg,
Previous RX: Zyprexa, Abilify, Prozac, Ativan, Risperdal

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." -- Henry David Thoreau

#16 jt07

jt07

Existing on the very edge of sanity

• Inmate
  • 7552 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:44 AM

As others have said, it's very specific to the indivdual. Abilify at 15 mg makes me hungry, and to be honest, I have gained a lot of weight on it. But the AD Remeron (mirtazapine) also makes me hungry so it is difficult to tell which med is actually causing me to gain the most weight. Some of the older AP's may not cause as much weight changes, but they carry their own risks.

To show how individual with respect to weight gain AAP's are, I actually lost weight while taking risperidone (Risperdal).

Dx: Atypical MDD with anxiety, possible ADD, OCD (mostly recovered)
Rx: Citalopram (20 mg), Remeron (45 mg), Abilify (30 mg), Carbamazepine (800 mg), Lamotrigine (200 mg), Ritalin (20 mg AM, 10 mg PM)

горький осадок, но сахара не надо

#17 jbooty

jbooty

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

I never had a weight problem before the APs. I was on zyprexa for many years until it suddenly stopped working and I had to go to Seroquel (and a boat load of ECT) I've been doing Weight Watchers for a year now and I am so happy that with their program and aerobic swimming I have been able to lose 31 lbs. Amazing. But I have to stay vigilant until I can be sure that the Seroquel won't put the weight back on. I didn't know that the purpose of those drugs is to dampen dopamine. There's always so much more to learn. I've been dealing with BP1 for about 40 years now (no spring chicken) so it's good to learn as much as possible about these drugs.

Question for the group. I am new here and can't figure out how to add the DX and RX to my listing. How do I go about it?

#18 Blitz

Blitz

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:03 AM

I gained 40 pounds on Zyprexa, it works amazingly well and slows down racing thoughts and you are much more calmer but the weight gain is a bitch indeed.

I can't wait to go off it, I have to taper but I need to desperately lose 30 pounds of fat

#19 cfranco92

cfranco92

• Pip
  • 527 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:00 AM

I didn't gain any weight on Geodon, Abilify, Seroquel, Clozaril, or Risperdone. I did gain 20 lbs on Zyprexa, and I'm currently taking Navane (a typical AP) and I can't take the weight off.

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder (bipolar type), PTSD, anxiety, hemiplegic migraines, asthma, hypothyroidism, tardive dyskinesia
Rx: Ativan 2mg PRN, Hydroxyzine 25mg PRN, Albuterol Inhalor
Past Rxs: Abilify, Saphris, Risperdal, Geodon, Lamictal, Prozac, Nortriptyline, Paxil, Pamelor, Celexa, Klonopin, Hydroxyzine, Propranolol, Bromocriptine, Zyprexa, Haldol, Invega, Clozaril, Lunesta, Ambien, Navane, Wellbutrin, Lithium, Seroquel, Cogentin, Verapamil, Trazadone, Latuda, Topamax, Synthyroid, Depakote, Zofran

I have been psych med free since 8/17/2013 as directed by my pdoc. 

A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us. - John Steinbeck.

#20 chimpmaster

chimpmaster

Hairpants for hairpants :)

• Inmate
  • 1265 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:47 AM

Question for the group. I am new here and can't figure out how to add the DX and RX to my listing. How do I go about it?

Log in, click on your username in the top right hand corner of the screen --> click on my profile --> click on edit my profile --> click on signature on the left hand side of the screen.

Dx : Schizophrenia, paranoid type with panic attacks. Obsessive Compulsive Personality Trait, epilepsy

Rx : 300mg Clozapine, 1500mg Keppera, 60mg Prozac, 160mg Zeldox, 4mg Reboxetine, 3 oxazepam morning and lunch, 3 in the evening
Ex Rx: Luvox, Paxil, Risperdel, Xanax, Seroquel, Abilify, Zyprexa, Tolvon, Mirtazapine, diazepam.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.