Photo
- - - - -

What do you use? Did it work? (Anti-Anxiety Meds)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ItCouldBeKyle

ItCouldBeKyle

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:37 AM

So I'm trying to find the right combinations of drugs and figuring out what does and doesn't work for you takes a lot of time. I don't know much about drugs that help anxiety and I know some anti-depressants help out. Right now I'm on Lithium for the moods and Luvox for the anxiety. But if Luvox doesn't work out, I don't really know what my options are in tackling my chronic anxiety. What have you been on or are on, what were your experiences with each anti-anxiety drug and importantly, are there any long term side effects you had to deal with? I know drugs work differently for people but it can't hurt to hear from others about it.

Much appreciated! ^_^

#2 The Emperor

The Emperor

Is there a hole for me to get sick in?

• Pip
  • 3728 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

If I remember correctly, the SSRI's didn't help ANYTHING at all for me and just made everything worse. SNRI's seemed to help with obsessive thinking and anxiety in that department, but they made my depression worse, so now I'm resigned to be dependent on benzos for anxiety. It sucks, but they work.

I hope that your current medications help you, or if they don't that you soon find something that will. Anxiety sucks. Good luck!

ETA: Now that I think about it, Abilify really really helped the obsessive thoughts too. Abilify has been my wonder drug. I WONDER why I'm so close to being overweight now . . . hmm, ABILIFY?

Edited by The Emperor, 10 February 2012 - 12:33 PM.

What the docs wrote down about my Crazy: Bipolar II, Some anxiety issue
The pills they give me to fix this shit: Lamictal 175mg, clonazepam 1mg , Trileptal 600mg
Pills that did NOT fix this shit: Sertraline, Buspirone, Mirtazipine, Paroxetine, Gabapentin, Effexor XR, Lorazepam, Cymbalta(twice), Zolpidem, Bupropion XL, Pristiq, Fluoxetine, Vistaril, Lexapro, Celexa, Trazodone, Geodon

Pills that worked well enough but side effects were total shit so I stopped: Abilify, Lithium, valium

sun moon stars rain

#3 Thomas

Thomas

• Pip
  • 2051 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

klonopin works pretty well for me, but the anxiety never really go's away
Dx:BP1, OCD, Diabetetes Type 2, Hypertension, Gastroparesis & kidney stones
Rx: Abilify 20 mg., Klonopin 6.0 mg., Restoril 30 mg. Cymbalta 120 mg. , Lamictal 400 mg., Cogentin 1.5 mg. Crestor 10 mg. hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg., Hyzaar 100/25 mg., domperidone 20 mg. and Levemir Insulin 40 units, Actos 45 mg.,Proprananol ER 80 mg., Hydrocodone/APAP 40 mg./4000 mg., tizanidine 1 mg., Fiorocet 3 mg.

#4 Culla Holme

Culla Holme

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:03 PM

Klonopin / Clonazepam will make you wonder what you were anxious about. Unlike some benzos (Xanax, for instance) it stays in your system a long time, so you're not checking your watch to see when you can take the next dose. Lithium & Clonazepam is a great double feature for bipolar. Good luck.
"Everything great in the world comes from neurotics. They alone have founded our religions and composed our masterpieces." Marcel Proust

#5 rowan77

rowan77

• Pip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

I was prescribed Seroquel XR for Bipolar Disorder, but I find it also REALLY helps with my anxiety issues

DX: Bipolar Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder

Current RX: Lithium Carbonate 800mg, Seroquel XR 800mg, Lamictal 100mg x2 daily, Procyclidine 5mg, prozac 40mg, Zopiclone 7.5mg PRN 

Also Yasmin 0.3/3mg for PCOS and Losec 40mg for Hiatus Hernia, Oesophagitis and Gastritis

Previous RX:
Anti-depressants: dothiepin, clomipramine, paroxetine, mirtazepine, lofepramine, venlafaxine, escitalopram, agomelatine
Anti-psychotics: thoridazine, risperidone, olanzapine, haloperidol, aripiprazole, chlorpromazine
Mood Stabilisers: carbamazepine, sodium valproate,
Anxiolytics: alprazolam, diazepam, lorazepam, clonazepam
Hypnotics: lormetazepam, temazepam, zolpidem, flurazepam
ECT: 6 Treatments in 2003; 11 Treatments in 2005

"Be yourself - everybody else is taken." Oscar Wilde

#6 bluqanary

bluqanary

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

I second the Seroquel. I had been on it for about 3 years before, like an idiot, I went off of it. Panic flared up again big time and I went inpatient. I am now back on the Seroquel for a little over a week and am slowly feeling the anxiety melt away again. I am on a very low dose at the moment (50 mgs)
Dx: Mood Disorder NOS, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, some social anxiety, mild OCD, eating disorder NOS
Previous Dx's: Major Depression, Cyclothymia (speculative), Bipolar 2 (speculative)
Currently taking: Neurontin 300 mgs, Seroquel 150 mgs, Prozac 20 mgs (switching to Cymbalta 20 mgs)

#7 dedoubt

dedoubt

• Pip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

I used to use clonazepam (Klonopin) for all of my anxiety needs, and it worked pretty well. Then it started making me really sleepy, which made it less than ideal, but it still worked better than other meds I tried, with minimal SEs. However, what I now think is my wonder drug is Adderall XR. It makes me so calm and anxiety free, I don't even feel like myself (I've spent my life being anxious). Of course, it doesn't affect everyone this way, and you need a Dx of ADD (AFAIK), but it's remarkable how well it works against my anxiety...

The crazy: Bipolar disorder 1 (rapid cycling, with psychosis), personality disorder (NOS), PTSD, ADD, uppity

The pills: None. Mutually agreed upon with my pdoc as the best choice for now.

"All at once is what eternity is." Kenneth Patchen

#8 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 9385 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:59 PM

Benzos are definitely useful, and klonopin is the one most often prescribed, because of the length of its half-life. Klonopin causes me to have rages, so I had to switch to Xanax. It takes longer to build a blood level on Xanax, but it can be done.

But there are a lot more SSRIs you can try. And have you tried Buspar? It doesn't work for a lot of people, but if it *does* work, it has a very low side-effect profile.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Fish Oil; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate the boards for Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Neuropathic and Chronic Pain, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, Relationships, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#9 enlightened_plutonian

enlightened_plutonian

The boundary between reality and delusion is currently out of the office

• Pip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

Seroquel and exercise works best for me. I've had anxiety for years and I am doing a lot better since I started taking Seroquel. I do still get a lot of anxiety, usually triggered by stuff going on in my life, but nowhere near as much as I had before.

The AD I was on (can't remember which, sorry) didn't help at all, and actually made my anxiety a lot worse (I was hallucinating). In fact, before going on that my anxiety was not a problem really, just a small amount in social situations.
Current diagnosis = psychosis NOS
History = depression (remission since April 2009), SI (remission since April 2009), alcohol abuse (remission since March 2007)
Past false dx = BPD (only symptom I had was SI), schizophrenia (I was very sleep deprived at the time)
Also have diabetes and pain issues (undiagnosed) and hayfever (April - June)

Current meds = Seroquel 800mg XR (as 400 in the morning and 400 in the night)
Also on insulin and Microgynon

I am not deluded, I just don't agree with your reality!

#10 hallowedink

hallowedink

Reality is cheap; as soon as you stop believing in it, it goes away.

• Pip
  • 1769 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

Klonopin / Clonazepam will make you wonder what you were anxious about. Unlike some benzos (Xanax, for instance) it stays in your system a long time, so you're not checking your watch to see when you can take the next dose. Lithium & Clonazepam is a great double feature for bipolar. Good luck.

I don't really think you should be telling the OP what meds to take. Also, bear in mind that just because those meds worked for you doesn't mean they'll work for the OP.

As for me, my Wellbutrin/Seroquel combo has been great for anxiety. The Wellbutrin really killed my enxiety. SSRIs largely had completely the opposite effect...panic attack heaven. :(

I have had to reintroduce Valium recently, though, because things are going badly.

It's different for everyone. I hope your meds work out for you. There are lots of combos to try!

My Brain Salad: BPD, MDD, Insomnia, Anorexia Nervosa, "very likely" C-PTSD, Migraines
What they give me for it: Seroquel 300mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, Lofepramine 140mg, Pizotifen 3mg, Naproxen PRN, Zopiclone PRN, Valium PRN`

Have also dealt with: Panic Disorder (now in remission), Self-harm (stopped ~4 months, but still relapsing occasionally)

#11 San

San

Lawful Evil

• Inmate
  • 4105 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

Luvox helped me a lot, I just tapered off of it due to hypomania, but some SSRI's can help with anxiety. Luvox is one of the first prescribed for OCD and such.

I found clonazepam or xanax to be the best for me. I currently take Xanax. Seroquel is great, as well but I had scary rare side effects.

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type, ADHD - Inattentive

Rx: Piportil Depot (75mg injection, 2 weeks) Clonazepam (2mg) Ritalin(30mg) Gabapentin (300mg and going up) Wellbutrin (150mg) Artane (10mg) Seroquel (100mg) ECT (2008)

Craftasaurus Rex / brainsick bipolar blog / Antipsychotic Comparison Tool

#12 dedoubt

dedoubt

• Pip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

Duh, I forgot to mention that I also use gabapentin (Neurontin). I've been using it for so long, I kind of forget about it, but it is mostly prescribed for my anxiety (also for some mood stabilization). It definitely helps to some degree, but not for major panic attacks or the like. It's kind of a backup to everything else. It works really well for some people, the SEs are minimal and it's cheap.

The crazy: Bipolar disorder 1 (rapid cycling, with psychosis), personality disorder (NOS), PTSD, ADD, uppity

The pills: None. Mutually agreed upon with my pdoc as the best choice for now.

"All at once is what eternity is." Kenneth Patchen

#13 ItCouldBeKyle

ItCouldBeKyle

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:10 AM

Benzos are definitely useful, and klonopin is the one most often prescribed, because of the length of its half-life. Klonopin causes me to have rages, so I had to switch to Xanax. It takes longer to build a blood level on Xanax, but it can be done.

But there are a lot more SSRIs you can try. And have you tried Buspar? It doesn't work for a lot of people, but if it *does* work, it has a very low side-effect profile.

I have tried Buspar and no it didn't nothing for me.
I have also tried Saphris and it didn't do a thing! I was having visual and audio hallucinations on it too, which my doctor told me is NOT suppose to happen.
Its quite possible I'm getting worse and I need to try to tackle this issue as soon as possible because I'm not going to lie, its all very scary to me.

So Luvox is kinda helping with persistent ruminating thoughts and my horrible night terrors and becoming less and less possibly from one of my meds. But since I just started I feel its too early to tell. I just have to adjust and see.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm not easily swayed I'm just collecting information! I find your suggestions valuable, if you have anymore please post them! Cheers! :)

#14 Wooster

Wooster

"I need a drink and a peer group." -Ford Prefect

• Admin
  • 6182 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:59 PM

I found exercise, acupuncture, and massage to be phenomenally more helpful than benzos in the long run.
Benzos were really helpful in the short run.

Boards I mod on: self harm, panic/anxiety, ptsd, ocd, dissociative, sleep, not otherwise specified, benzos, lifestyle alternatives, therapy, health care system

Current meds: 60# golden retriever service dog, (swellbutrin, klonipin for sleep)

*disclaimer--Nothing I write should be construed as professional advice or creating a therapeutic relationship.*

Hurray! I *finally* figured out how to correct my starting weight on MFP!
21850981.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

#15 cfranco92

cfranco92

• Pip
  • 527 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:30 AM

In the past, hydroxyzine worked wonders for anxiety and it was not habit forming. I'm allergic to Klonopin, so now I currently use lorazepam.

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder (bipolar type), PTSD, anxiety, hemiplegic migraines, asthma, hypothyroidism, tardive dyskinesia
Rx: Ativan 2mg PRN, Hydroxyzine 25mg PRN, Albuterol Inhalor
Past Rxs: Abilify, Saphris, Risperdal, Geodon, Lamictal, Prozac, Nortriptyline, Paxil, Pamelor, Celexa, Klonopin, Hydroxyzine, Propranolol, Bromocriptine, Zyprexa, Haldol, Invega, Clozaril, Lunesta, Ambien, Navane, Wellbutrin, Lithium, Seroquel, Cogentin, Verapamil, Trazadone, Latuda, Topamax, Synthyroid, Depakote, Zofran

I have been psych med free since 8/17/2013 as directed by my pdoc. 

A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us. - John Steinbeck.

#16 Phoenix_Rising

Phoenix_Rising

Medicated for your safety

• Inmate
  • 3792 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

I've used xanax XR in combination with Abilify and found that to be great for reducing anxiety. Exercise is really helpful too.

Current Dx: BPII, GAD, OCD and PTSD

Other crap: sleep apnea and diabetes type II

Rx: Prozac 20 mg; Zyprexa 15 mg; Gabapentin 1200 mg; Vyvanse 100 mg;  Klonopin 2 mg and prn; Lithium 900 mg; Meformin 2000 mg; Metropolol 200 mg; Premarin .625 mg  Insulin 19 mg

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me? Crazy?  I should get down off this unicorn and slap you.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I am not a mental health care professional, please seek out a professional's advice.

#17 confused

confused

bundle of nerves

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3211 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

lexapro. It helps, but I still have some anxiety.

schizoaffective bipolar type, social anxiety, depersonalization disorder
abilify, lamictal, lexapro, wellbutrin, seroquel, topomax

It just may be a lunatic you're looking for

Billy Joel

http://psychcentral....isorder/0001564

#18 Thomas

Thomas

• Pip
  • 2051 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

Klonopin works great for me, at least compared to anything else I've tried.
Dx:BP1, OCD, Diabetetes Type 2, Hypertension, Gastroparesis & kidney stones
Rx: Abilify 20 mg., Klonopin 6.0 mg., Restoril 30 mg. Cymbalta 120 mg. , Lamictal 400 mg., Cogentin 1.5 mg. Crestor 10 mg. hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg., Hyzaar 100/25 mg., domperidone 20 mg. and Levemir Insulin 40 units, Actos 45 mg.,Proprananol ER 80 mg., Hydrocodone/APAP 40 mg./4000 mg., tizanidine 1 mg., Fiorocet 3 mg.

#19 sandman

sandman

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

Where do I go to talk about GAD, depression (drug resistant), and other things related to SSRI's etc...?

#20 BronxJazzy

BronxJazzy

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

I had the worst case of sad that I can think of. For 6 yrs I locked myself in my room and wouldnt socialize with anyone. My doctor put me on Geodon, paxil, and lomictal and I've been doing great. In 4 months I have been able to not only get out of my room but socialize with people. Best cocktail in the world.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.