Zyprexa or Seroquel

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Trix

Trix

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

I have the choice between Zyprexa 5mg or Seroquel 100mg. Which one is better or stronger? (I'm also on clozaril 800mg. It's just an add-on.)

#2 lindamine

lindamine

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

I would say to try one the first night and the other, the next.
I found Seroquel to be extremely sedating for me-well into the next day it lasted.

Good luck, and remember, we all respond differently.
Lindamine*

#3 Eden

Eden

• Pip
  • 760 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

For me seroquel was very sedating but it was also uncomfortable, I couldn't sleep on it and found it didn't clear up my psychosis.

Zyprexa cleared up my psychosis, it let me sleep and it wasn't uncomfortable, but I gained a lot of weight on it.

In seroquels defense thats not a very common opinion, a lot of people here really like it. Personally I would try seroquel first, if it works for you stay on it, zyprexa is an excellent drug IMO, but it isn't a very good drug to take long term.

New Dx: Psychosis NOS, MDD + Aspergers and ADHD Inattentive type w/ social anxiety.
Also: Celiac disease and chronic 'flavor of the week' insomnia.

-Scratch that, uncle Sam gave me a clean bill of health cuz I talk gud n stuff.

"Mankind are a herd of knaves and fools.
It is necessary to join the crowd, or get out of their way,
in order not to be trampled to death by them" William Hazlitt.

One does not simply walk into dictionary.

#4 koa

koa

Jesus saves, I spend.

• Inmate
  • 1842 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

I have never been on Seroquel, but I really hated being on Zyprexa because I would sleep 12+ hours a day (which might be a good thing if you are having trouble sleeping) and I gained about 50 pounds.
Diagnosis: Schizoaffective Disorder, Depressive Type (or possibly depression with psychotic features)
RX:, Latuda 40mg, Lexapro 10 mg, Wellbutrin 300 mg,
Previous RX: Zyprexa, Abilify, Prozac, Ativan, Risperdal

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." -- Henry David Thoreau

#5 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13250 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:51 PM

5mgs zyprexa is a lot stronger than 100mgs seroquel. 100 mgs seroquel isn't even in the range where it's effective for psychosis.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#6 larkspur

larkspur

I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired

• Pip
  • 660 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:14 PM

I love Zyprexa. I took it for a week to come out of a bad hypomanic place and it is a wonderful drug. After a few days it didn't make me drowsy at all. I took 10mg during the day. It can cause diabetes and weight gain though.

I'm on Seroquel XR 300mg now, and I don't like it near as well as the Zyprexa.

Current Dx: bipolar ii, predominantly depressed/mixed; obsessive-compulsive disorder; generalized anxiety disorder and social phobia; attention deficit

Current Rx situation: Latuda 80mg, Lexapro 20mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Adderall 15mg b.i.d., Depakote ER 250mg

Non-psych Rx:  Mirena IUD, levothyroxine 50mcg, spironolactone 50mg b.i.d.

OTC/supplements: women's multivitamin

Previous Rx's: Valium (diazepam), Catapres (clonidine), Restoril (temazepam), Xanax (alprazolam), Tegretol (carbamazepine), Pamelor (nortriptyline), Zyprexa (olanzapine), Viibryd (vilazadone), lithium, Topamax (topiramate), Thorazine (chlorpromazine), Luvox (fluvoxamine), Vistaril (hydroxyzine), Geodon (ziprasidone), Lamictal (lamotrigine), Seroquel XR (quetiapine), dextroamphetamine, Ritalin (methylphenidate), Abilify (aripiprazole), Remeron (mirtazapine), Celexa (citalopram), Ativan (lorazepam), Ambien/Intermezzo (zolpidem), Effexor XR (venlafaxine), Desyrel (trazodone), Lunesta (eszopiclone)

#7 Trix

Trix

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

I'll go with the Zyprexa. Seroquel has worse side effects I think.

#8 red_dirt_angel

red_dirt_angel

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

I was taking Seroquel 50mg because I have trouble getting to sleep (racing thoughts, and a fear of encountering nightmares). I went and saw a GP yesterday, on advice from my tdoc who wanted me to start again on an SSRI (I used to take 100mg Pristiq, but it made me really agitated sometimes...). The GP ignored that request, saying that all I need is a good nights sleep (hahaha...) and things will start getting better (hahaha). When I told him that I was starting to build a tolerance to the seroquel, he wrote me a script for Zyprexa 10mg. I took one last night around 10pm, and didn't wake up again til 4pm the next afternoon.... I've read a lot about the weight gain on this aswell, and am thinking that I might try and find a GP that will actually listen to what I have to say, because this GP yesterday seemed a bit too happy to prescribe this - right after I said that I'm scared of drugs that might cause weight gain...

#9 enlightened_plutonian

enlightened_plutonian

The boundary between reality and delusion is currently out of the office

• Pip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

I like Seroquel, but I take 600mg. At 100mg it is only really a sedative. I would say that Seroquel took some time to get used to it, but for me the sedation is now just enough to stop my insomnia. Other than that, which is helpful actually, I don't get any other side effects.

I have never tried Zyprexa though. But if VE said that the dosage would be better then that may be a good option to go for.

Different meds affect people differently, so the only way you would know which is best for you is to try both and see which you prefer. Look at what are you taking it for, and what effects you are looking for.
Current diagnosis = psychosis NOS
History = depression (remission since April 2009), SI (remission since April 2009), alcohol abuse (remission since March 2007)
Past false dx = BPD (only symptom I had was SI), schizophrenia (I was very sleep deprived at the time)
Also have diabetes and pain issues (undiagnosed) and hayfever (April - June)

Current meds = Seroquel 800mg XR (as 400 in the morning and 400 in the night)
Also on insulin and Microgynon

I am not deluded, I just don't agree with your reality!

#10 g8orgirl

g8orgirl

• Pip
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

I'm currently on Seroquel but I did take Zyprexa for a few months. I found the Zyprexa to be more sedating than the Seroquel and I also gained about 60 lbs on it in less than 6 months. But, everyone's experience is different, I found that the Seroquel was better at controlling my psychotic symptoms and that's why I'm still on it.
Schizoaffective - depressive type
Meds: Abilify 5 mgs, Effexor 75 mgs, Trazodone 100 mgs

#11 Pamito

Pamito

Happy on my meds :)

• Pip
  • 342 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

I find seroquel is a better anti-psychotic, PERSONALLY. Zyprexa didn't do anything for me even at 30mg.

BUT everyone responds differently to different meds, as you can see in this thread.

I believe 5mg of Zyprexa could cause some weight gain. It's up to you to try them both. Hope that helps.

DX'd Schizoaffective

Taking Seroquel, Remeron, and Effexor. 

#12 Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis

The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering.

• Admin
  • 13250 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:12 AM

If clozaril doesn't cause weight gain, it's unlikely that Zyprexa would.

De-gnosis: ADD, recurrent depression (or maybe bpII in the guise of such), Asperger's, OCD, social anxiety
Today's Pill Menu: Dexedrine, Wellbutrin (Budeprion), Strattera, Celexa, Risperdal, and clonazepam

Like other moderators and staff of crazyboards.org, I am not a health care professional. You have no way of knowing that I am not talking out my ass. Please do your own homework before making any health related decisions.

Buy me Stuff: Amazon Wishlist

#13 larkspur

larkspur

I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired

• Pip
  • 660 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:29 AM

Zyprexa has a generic, so it may cost you less.

Current Dx: bipolar ii, predominantly depressed/mixed; obsessive-compulsive disorder; generalized anxiety disorder and social phobia; attention deficit

Current Rx situation: Latuda 80mg, Lexapro 20mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Adderall 15mg b.i.d., Depakote ER 250mg

Non-psych Rx:  Mirena IUD, levothyroxine 50mcg, spironolactone 50mg b.i.d.

OTC/supplements: women's multivitamin

Previous Rx's: Valium (diazepam), Catapres (clonidine), Restoril (temazepam), Xanax (alprazolam), Tegretol (carbamazepine), Pamelor (nortriptyline), Zyprexa (olanzapine), Viibryd (vilazadone), lithium, Topamax (topiramate), Thorazine (chlorpromazine), Luvox (fluvoxamine), Vistaril (hydroxyzine), Geodon (ziprasidone), Lamictal (lamotrigine), Seroquel XR (quetiapine), dextroamphetamine, Ritalin (methylphenidate), Abilify (aripiprazole), Remeron (mirtazapine), Celexa (citalopram), Ativan (lorazepam), Ambien/Intermezzo (zolpidem), Effexor XR (venlafaxine), Desyrel (trazodone), Lunesta (eszopiclone)

#14 chimpmaster

chimpmaster

Hairpants for hairpants :)

• Inmate
  • 1266 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:04 AM

Out of interest, why just the two options? I would have thought that if you are already on a high dose of cloz (which you are) something like abilify or geodon would possibly be worth considering as well....

Dx : Schizophrenia, paranoid type with panic attacks. Obsessive Compulsive Personality Trait, epilepsy

Rx : 300mg Clozapine, 1500mg Keppera, 60mg Prozac, 160mg Zeldox, 4mg Reboxetine, 3 oxazepam morning and lunch, 3 in the evening
Ex Rx: Luvox, Paxil, Risperdel, Xanax, Seroquel, Abilify, Zyprexa, Tolvon, Mirtazapine, diazepam.

#15 ManWitPlan

ManWitPlan

• Pip
  • 392 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

Isn't seroquel/zyprexa contraindicated with clozaril?

http://www.drugs.com...9-364,1979-1274

Heck it seems like it is with any antipsychotic. But I guess they do it in cases where its necessary.

Zyprexa is definitely stronger at 5 mg than seroquel 100. Zyprexa at 5 mg gives you antipsychotic action where as seroquel 100 doesn't. Zyprexa when I took it made me feel pretty good but the seroquel atleast initially made me uncomfortable when trying to sleep.

#16 Trix

Trix

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

My pdoc said I would benefit from an extra anti-psychotic and gave me the choice of the two because I had bad side effects from others. I've been just taking the zyprexa and haven't tried the Seroquel and I like it so far.

#17 saoirse

saoirse

"seer-sha"

• Pip
  • 440 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

If you like the zyprexa then I would stick with it. Both were sedating to me, but zyprexa caused a ton of weight gain in just two months.
dx's: Bipolar I w/ psychosis, anxiety
meds: 1500 mg trileptal, 600 mg lithium, 4 mg risperidone

"but i don't want to go among mad people," alice remarked.
"oh you can't help that," said the Cat. "we're all mad here. i'm mad. you're mad."
"how do you know i'm mad?" said alice.
"you must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.