Photo
- - - - -

Can CPS take your kids away just because you have a MI?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 esmereldaskysurfer

esmereldaskysurfer

The Fat Woman with the Magic

• Pip
  • 241 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

Title says it all really... i always thought the parent had to pose a significant threat to the child in some way (either threatening to hurt it, or neglecting it or whatever), but apparently it just takes one phonecall from someone saying that the person is an unfit parent and CPS can come in and take the child away.

This scares me because i want to be a mother some day, and there is no way i would harm or neglect my child but it looks like no matter how good a parent i am, having SZA may mean that my kid is taken away anyway, no matter how good a parent im being.

Diagnosis: Schizoaffective disorder (Not sure which type) or maybe Schizophrenia. Diagnosis is in question right now. Borderline Personality disorder, PTSD (basically in remission), Social Anxiety

Current Medications: Lamictal 200mg/ day, Wellbutrin XL 150mg/ day, Haldol 3mg/ day, Luvox 50mg/ day Zyprexa 2.5mg PRN, Thorazine 25mg PRN, Xanax 0.25mg PRN. Trying to eliminate the need for the Zyprexa and Thorazine.

Medications i've tried: Prozac, Celexa, Lunesta, Ambien, Saphris, Risperdal, Trileptal, Tegretol, Seroquel XR, Seroquel, Trazodone, Fanapt, Remeron, Lithium, Klonopin, Ativan, Invega, Latuda

"All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed. " ~ Frith, Watership Down

715053.png

#2 confused

confused

bundle of nerves

• Inmate
  • 2917 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

It's more complicated. I had been afraid to tell people of some of my delusions for various reasons, but one was I thought I would lose my children. When I confided this to a tdoc she said they can't do that. My dx is sza, too..

I have a friend who ended up giving up parental rights but it's complicated and I don't know the whole story. Her and her husband at the time had accused each other of being abusive to each other (not the child) and she repeatedly was hospitalized for suicide attempts. She never neglected or hurt her daughter, but she just wasn't well enough to care for her on her own. She didn't contest the decision and her daughter was adopted by a relative of her ex-husband.

There was a case I read where they took a child for being obese (over nourished). I asked my pediatrician about that because my son is overweight and he said they would work with parents before anything like that and he's never heard of it.

schizoaffective bipolar type, social anxiety, depersonalization disorder
abilify, lamictal, lexapro, wellbutrin, seroquel

The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel.

Horace Walpole

http://psychcentral....isorder/0001564

Don't believe everything you read on the internet, including me. 

I am not a mental health care professional, please seek out a professional's advice.

#3 Birdee

Birdee

• Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

As far as I know, children can be removed from their home for 2 reasons… Abuse or neglect

Having a Dx of SZA shouldn't mean anything to CPS unless you somehow abuse or neglect your child(ren).

Confused mentioned a child being taken away for being severely obese. The poor child must have been SEVERELY SEVERELY obese for that to happen… as in life threateningly obese. Well, that is abuse by the parents if they allow or promote a life threatening lifestyle for the child.

Edited by Birdee, 07 March 2012 - 08:39 PM.

- Some days I miss being numb from the brain down… but for today, I'm still sober
- Favorite quote - When your ass falls of… and it will… pick it up… put it in a bag… and just carry it with you - (Grams)

- Bipolar with psychosis & PTSD updated from Bipolar, PTSD updated from Mood Disorder NOS
- July 2011: Lamictal 100mg BID
- Feb. 2012: Atarax PRN added (doc wanted abilify too but it's too costly for me)
- April 2012: Prazosin 1mg added
- October 2012: Seroquel XR 50mg added

#4 sylvan

sylvan

Pill Party

• Admin
  • 3973 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

So long as you're taking good care of your kids and aren't abusing them, there isn't anything CPS can or will do to take your kids away. Just saying someone has MI is not grounds for removing the kids from the home.

The obese kid that was taken away from the parents was morbidly obese and the parents did not follow the doctor's instructions and the child kept getting bigger and bigger. As I recall, they placed the child in the home of a relative where he lost a significant amount of weight. Not sure if he is still with the relative or has gone back home.

It has been a year since one of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing passed away. He was strong, intelligent, caring, and honest. I had the honor of calling him Daddy. I will miss both my parents for as long as I live. I hope that I can be even half as good of a spouse, parent, and friend as the two of them were. Life is now forever changed for me. It will never be like it was. That doesn't mean it will all be bad, it will just be different.

#5 danceintherain

danceintherain

• Pip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

Different states phrase it differently, but the language is usually that there has to be a nexus/connection/link between the mental illness and harm/detriment to the child. So in other words--the mental illness isn't in and of itself the grounds. The ground would be harm/failure to take care of the child (i.e. what you think of as traditional neglect or abuse).
bipolar I ish. Used to have some ptsd-like crap, but that's resolved.

current RXs: Ativan (1 mg), Lamictal (300mg, split); WellbutrinXL (150mg); geodon (20mgs w/ food). Also levothyroxine (75 mcg), levosertralizine, and
birth control.

Past Rxs: zoloft (like a sugar pill); lexapro (hit an akathesia problem or something else nasty like that); seroquel; ambien; sonata (all worked at different points in time, just changed for different reasons); effexorXR (wonderful for helping to yank me out of an episode; stopped after a few years b/c it seemed to be causing some agitation).

#6 Guest_Vapourware_*

Guest_Vapourware_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:50 AM

Generally speaking, CPS do not want to take children out of their environment unless absolutely necessary. By "absolutely necessary", that usually means the child's welfare is at risk. That encompasses anything that has the potential to put a child at harm's risk - neglect [including medical neglect], abuse [of all kinds], etc.

There are several reasons why a lot of CPS services are reluctant to remove a child from their home. Firstly, removing a child from their home can be traumatic for them, even though they may have experienced abuse and/or neglect at the hands of their caregiver[s]. You are removing a child from a familiar environment, into a foreign one, which can be very disruptive for a child. Sometimes, a child would still have a bond with their caregiver[s], so they would find removal very difficult. Secondly, foster homes are in short supply. There are generally not enough homes because being a foster parent can be very demanding and not many people would raise their hands for the job. Thirdly, foster homes are not ideal, because they are usually temporary measures, and not all parents can handle a child's specific needs. The constant moving can cause further disruption for a child.

Generally, CPS will investigate a report first, then try to work with caregiver[s] if they believe the claims made in the report are substantiated. Investigation generally involves interviews with the child/children and the caregiver[s] separately, observing the environment, health checks and observing the interactions and behaviours between child/children and caregiver[s].

I guess that's a long-winded way of saying no - having a MI alone does not lead to CPS intervening. However, if your MI is leading to neglect and/or abuse of a child, then yes, CPS will step in.

As an example - when I was working at CPS here, I came across a woman with BPD, PTSD and depression. Her son was taken away from her, but it wasn't because of her psychiatric issues. It was because she wasn't taking proper care of her son. She used to send her then-5yo son to the shops, by himself, to buy groceries. Her son used to cook for her, because she couldn't handle cooking. There were other issues too, like constant drug abuse which left her incapable of caring for her son for most of the day [aka neglect], and some physical abuse.

#7 esmereldaskysurfer

esmereldaskysurfer

The Fat Woman with the Magic

• Pip
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

Well that's reassuring... the way it was put to me scared the crap out of me (although to be honest, i should have known because the person who said it is well known for talking out of her arse and pretending she knows heaps about everything when she really doesnt), she made it sound like one person just had to make a call and the kid would be taken away. Thank goodness that isnt the case!

Diagnosis: Schizoaffective disorder (Not sure which type) or maybe Schizophrenia. Diagnosis is in question right now. Borderline Personality disorder, PTSD (basically in remission), Social Anxiety

Current Medications: Lamictal 200mg/ day, Wellbutrin XL 150mg/ day, Haldol 3mg/ day, Luvox 50mg/ day Zyprexa 2.5mg PRN, Thorazine 25mg PRN, Xanax 0.25mg PRN. Trying to eliminate the need for the Zyprexa and Thorazine.

Medications i've tried: Prozac, Celexa, Lunesta, Ambien, Saphris, Risperdal, Trileptal, Tegretol, Seroquel XR, Seroquel, Trazodone, Fanapt, Remeron, Lithium, Klonopin, Ativan, Invega, Latuda

"All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed. " ~ Frith, Watership Down

715053.png

#8 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

I was involved in an incident where I SI'd and the police found out about it and detained me in front of my daughter's school (in front of my daughter and all the other parents/teachers/kids) and took me away by ambulance. Even in that instance, CPS never inquired into the well-being of my children.

I have been involved with CPS once. When my son (now 14) was two, he slipped on a meal-in-a-box box on the floor. One leg stayed put, the other twisted behind him. I was two feet from him when it happened. He broke his femur, the strongest bone in your body. I was questioned several times (by that, I mean over a dozen) by the ER docs and social workers, and less than 30 minutes after we arrived home with him, we got an unannounced visit from CPS. She examined the house, and even the box (still on the floor) that my son slipped on, examined the rest of the apartment, and stated that she would file her report and close the case. That's all that happened.

It was extremely unnerving to have that happen to us, but at the same time, I was glad to have a system in place that actually investigated allegations of child abuse to find the people who were really abusing their kids. Didn't make what we went through any easier, though!
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#9 Becks

Becks

• Pip
  • 510 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

I've had CPS involved in our lives as well and believe me, it's not just a simple phone call and they take your children from you. There has to be evidence that you neglected and/or abused your children. Even if they do find evidence, they typically try to work with you to rectify the situation. I think and don't quote me, the abuse/neglect would have to be severe for them to take the children immediately.

Most CPS workers (at least the ones I've dealt with) were always very kind and compassionate. Of course, the case that was being brought against us was by an unhappy relative who thought it was funny to make false claims and disrupt lives. Both times that CPS was called on us. The workers' came out, questioned myself and husband and then all the children separetly. They left, wrote up their report and sent me a letter closing the case.

Becca 

Author of Moorestorms A Guide for the Bipolar Parent

"And I never thought I'd say, that I'm weaker today than I was yesterday..oh man
But I'll fight as I always fight with whats inside of me.. this warrior spirit inside of me" - Sully Erna Broken Road

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.