Any foundations I can donate to?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bueler

Bueler

• Pip
  • 659 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

I'm looking for places I can donate to for 2012, and having had a brain cavernoma, I'm hoping to find something in the realm of brain research, or mental illness research.

Any ideas? Must be tax-deductible =D

DX: Depressive Disorder NOS, Grand-Mal Seizures
RX:
Wellbutrin 300mg, Zoloft 100mg, Lamictal 200mg, Keppra 1,000mg
PRN: Xanax 1.0mg, Ambien 10mg

#2 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4548 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

http://www.angiomaalliance.org/

There you go! This might be it.

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

#3 malachite

malachite

• Pip
  • 1132 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

How about to CB? :) There's a fundraiser right now.

Type of Crazy: MDD and GAD
Former meds: Geodon, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lithium, Xanax, Klonopin, Zoloft, Paxil, Lamictal, Temazapam, Risperdal, Serzone, Trazodone, Lexapro, Xanax XR, Buspar, Effexor, Desipramine, and about seven more I can't remember.
Current psych meds: Clomipramine (50mg.) Valium (2mg.4
x a day) Trileptal (600mg.) Lunesta (2.mg) OR Ambien (10mg.) Trazodone (100mg.)
Other Meds: Crestor, Metformin,Omeprazole, Propanalol
Physical woes: Migraine, PCOS, CFIDS, Diabetes, High cholesterol
ECT (Fall 2010), (Fall 2012)

#4 Cetkat

Cetkat

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe..

• Pip
  • 3079 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

I bet you'll be more interested in LB's, but I have to throw one that's important to me out there:

http://www.alz.org/
This is their research statement: http://www.alz.org/a...s_.asp#research

_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

Dx: Major Depression w/ Dysthymia and Panic Disorder, ADHD, Fibromyalgia
Pdoc's Theory Dx: Bipolar NOS (recently re-theorized by current pdoc)
Rx : Strattera 80mg, Armour Thyroid 60mg (1 gr), Nadolol prn, Xanax prn, Methocarbamol 750mg prn
EXRx : Zoloft, Seroquel, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lithium, Lamictal, Remeron, Lexapro, Abilify, Zyprexa, Geodon, Cymbalta, Paxil, Sonata, Lunesta, Effexor, Metadate, Risperdal, BuSpar, Ambien, Invega, Tegretol, Nortriptyline, Desipramine, Deplin, Neurontin, Concerta, Trazodone, Mirapex, Amitriptyline, Saphris, Prestiq

I do whatever my rice krispies tell me to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"OK so cheese is trapped, so you can't have cheese." - MDK
_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _. _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

#5 Bueler

Bueler

• Pip
  • 659 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

How about to CB? :) There's a fundraiser right now.

If it were tax deductible I would =P

Ladybug, that site looks sketchy. I'm not sure about it, do you know anything about them?

Cetkat, I actually looked at alzheimers research yesterday, and I was intrigued by it. It's one of those diseases that just makes you cry, because you lose someone mentally slowly. I think physical pain is a lot easier to deal with.

DX: Depressive Disorder NOS, Grand-Mal Seizures
RX:
Wellbutrin 300mg, Zoloft 100mg, Lamictal 200mg, Keppra 1,000mg
PRN: Xanax 1.0mg, Ambien 10mg

#6 Cetkat

Cetkat

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe..

• Pip
  • 3079 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

Cetkat, I actually looked at alzheimers research yesterday, and I was intrigued by it. It's one of those diseases that just makes you cry, because you lose someone mentally slowly. I think physical pain is a lot easier to deal with.

Yes, it's a very tragic occurrence. The person knows what's happening and can't stop it - slowing the progression is really the treatment of the time. Their loved ones see someone they love disappear and caretaking really takes its toll.

Alzheimer's runs in my father's side of my family rather strongly. It's very late in its presentation in our case - my great grandmother was 101 when I saw her in a care facility. The sole memory I have of her is of a woman being taken out of bed and into a chair with no idea what was going on, who she was, who we were... pure terror. Emotions are all that are left when understanding is gone. They're not all negative ones, but it's a horrible concept to be ruled by everything except yourself. My grandmother (her daughter) had it as well, but hers only progressed to generalized confusion. She died before it really took its toll. I believe she was in her 70's - I was a just a young kid so I'm not entirely sure. It's too early to tell if my father (an only child) will be struck with it too.

They've been able to learn quite a bit about the physical reasons behind Alzheimer's from studying donated brain material from sufferers; however, there is a lot of lines of study that still need to be followed if they are going to be able to determine why the structures that essentially kill the brain are allowed to form.

There was a documentary series on HBO called The Alzheimer's Project that I watched. If you're interested, you can see it on their site here:
http://www.hbo.com/a.../the-films.html

It's about the personal and family ramifications along with a significant amount of information about the known physiology and current research.

_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

Dx: Major Depression w/ Dysthymia and Panic Disorder, ADHD, Fibromyalgia
Pdoc's Theory Dx: Bipolar NOS (recently re-theorized by current pdoc)
Rx : Strattera 80mg, Armour Thyroid 60mg (1 gr), Nadolol prn, Xanax prn, Methocarbamol 750mg prn
EXRx : Zoloft, Seroquel, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lithium, Lamictal, Remeron, Lexapro, Abilify, Zyprexa, Geodon, Cymbalta, Paxil, Sonata, Lunesta, Effexor, Metadate, Risperdal, BuSpar, Ambien, Invega, Tegretol, Nortriptyline, Desipramine, Deplin, Neurontin, Concerta, Trazodone, Mirapex, Amitriptyline, Saphris, Prestiq

I do whatever my rice krispies tell me to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"OK so cheese is trapped, so you can't have cheese." - MDK
_ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _. _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _ . _

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.