Photo
- - - - -

Strange Seroquel Side Effect?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:15 PM

I'm not usually plagued with the more "unusual" side effects of medications (just the usual ones like eating all the food in my fridge), but I have had something really weird happen to me since starting seroquel a month ago.

I smell much better. I can smell everything. Things I never could smell before. Like my cat's breath from three feet away. Like the smell of a dirty dish left in the sink overnight. Like the smell of my son's sheets (they really need to be laundered tomorrow). I don't like it, because everything smells bad to me. Do I really live in a smelly house???

Along these same lines, because smell is directly related to taste, the things I taste are different. Dishes I used to love taste flat to me, like they need more salt or acid or brightness. Soda burned the top of my mouth (really, it was weird) but that has went away. I think I'm a lousy cook now because I don't know how to make food taste good to my palate.

Has anyone heard of this/had this happen? Or is this not related to the seroquel. It's the only thing I've changed in months.

Edited by gizmo, 19 March 2012 - 11:16 PM.

Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#2 Guest_Recluse_*

Guest_Recluse_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

How weird. I'm sure 'change of taste' is probably listed in the side-effects somewhere, but I've personally never heard of it actually happening.

Under normal circumstances, the first words out of my mouth would usually be, 'Are you pregnant?' but I don't think that applies here...

#3 crow66

crow66

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:39 PM

That sounds pretty odd...but we are on CrazyBoards :)! I didn't experience this at all.
crow66
Dx: BP1, Temporal Lobe Epilepsy (TLE), Depressive Rumination, Shifting Weirdness; Rx: Seroquel XR 500mg, Seroquel 100mg (prn), Cymbalta 60mg, Namenda 20mg, Lamictal XR 300mg, Clonazepam 2mg, Saphris 20mg, Lorazepam 0.5mg (prn)

#4 Stasis

Stasis

Uncle Duke is up off the floor

• Pip
  • 791 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:38 AM

I think I know what you mean,
although my Seroquel use is lengthy,
I constantly smell different things,
it's like traces of what produced it
still around.
I can sense changes in my body
chemistry,acidic or a sharp odor
maybe the meds change mine,
Going out side ,I can smell all kinds of things,
I attribute the hightened sense
to my years in the forest
or the ocean,lots to smell on the beach
like maybe a melted sealion.
picture that.
S
Never turn your back on Nature,
She is a cruel,demanding Bitch

#5 spongeybob

spongeybob

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:49 AM

a symptom of a lot of drugs is sinusitis
the seroquel might not have this affect on you,
meaning that your sinus has cleared for the first time in a long time allowing you to smell and taste like everybody else

just trying to put logical reasoning to it, just my idea is all :)

Dx - PTSD, Schizoid, depression, anxiety
Pdoc - still looking for a reason for the strange hallucinations
Med - venaflaxine 225mg , abilify 15mg

still feel weird, gimme a few more arms and legs and could crawl out of my own skin

#6 lysergia

lysergia

ripping off the bootstraps

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 3520 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:26 AM

seroquel didn't give me that particular side effect - but i had it on SSRIs, and now again on lithium. it's the damned smell of things....ugh. the first thing to go is eggs, every time.

current dx:

BPII, DDNOS, major anxiety issues, PTSD issues (now subclinical), ED issues (recovered anorexic), auditory/visual/tactile hallucinations

current rx:

bupropion XL 300 mg, clonazepam 3 mg, zopiclone 7.5 mg, synthroid 0.15 mg (supplements: D3, B12, Omega 3)

download.jpg

#7 rowan77

rowan77

• Pip
  • 3074 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:32 AM

Never heard of that side effect, or experienced it. I actually have the opposite effect. Seroquel causes me to have a stuffy nose and my sense of smell is poor as a reult

DX: Bipolar Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder

Current RX: Lithium Carbonate 800mg, Seroquel XR 800mg, Lamictal 100mg x2 daily, Procyclidine 5mg, prozac 40mg, Zopiclone 7.5mg PRN 

Also Yasmin 0.3/3mg for PCOS and Losec 40mg for Hiatus Hernia, Oesophagitis and Gastritis

Previous RX:
Anti-depressants: dothiepin, clomipramine, paroxetine, mirtazepine, lofepramine, venlafaxine, escitalopram, agomelatine
Anti-psychotics: thoridazine, risperidone, olanzapine, haloperidol, aripiprazole, chlorpromazine
Mood Stabilisers: carbamazepine, sodium valproate,
Anxiolytics: alprazolam, diazepam, lorazepam, clonazepam
Hypnotics: lormetazepam, temazepam, zolpidem, flurazepam
ECT: 6 Treatments in 2003; 11 Treatments in 2005

"Be yourself - everybody else is taken." Oscar Wilde

#8 Gearhead

Gearhead

The Iguana In a Room Full of Rabbits

• Pip
  • 1832 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

Hmmm. Despite having a permanently stuffy head my sense of smell is really acute. Topamax screwed my sense of taste royally and when I started the lamotrigine my taste changed again (most notably, all wine now tastes horrifying to me).

There's a really fascinating book about how smell works called The Emperor of Scent, by Chandler Burr, that actually touches upon curing a woman's anosmia with Depakote...

Bipolar I, sports fans. Autism spectrum. With just un soup├žon of migraine...

Give us this day our daily meds: 150 lamotrigine, 75 topiramate, 150 Seroquel XR, 100 Seroquel IR, 12.5 Ambien CR, 
60 mgs Cymbalta

4000 i.u. Vit. D3

Azelastine nasal spray 2x/per nostril 2x daily

Etodolac 400 mgs  2x/daily and Votaren Gel 2 grams 2x/daily for joint pain NOS

Cyclobenzaprine and Midrin PRN

Past, failed attempts: Effexor XR, Celexa, amitriptyline, Depakote, escitalopram, Geodon, klonopin, ativan, bupropion, busipirone, lithium, trazodone, Lunesta, Rozerem, gabapentine, mirtazapine, Wellbutrin, Temazepam, Sonata

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

#9 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

Under normal circumstances, the first words out of my mouth would usually be, 'Are you pregnant?' but I don't think that applies here...

Lol, you scared me enough with this statement that I went out and spent $12 on a pregnancy test this morning! Even though I have an IUD. Even though my sex life is non existant. Even though I haven't had my period in over 15 months. (thank the IUD and risperdal for that).

Thank goodness it was negative :)
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#10 scatty

scatty

The only way out is through.

• Pip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

I get that way when I'm manic. Is your mood stable? Just a thought.

Dx:
Bipolar I & Anxiety.  Self diagnosed cunt.

My New (old) Meds: (previously these kept me the most stable)
Lithium ER 1350 mgs.
Lamictal 200 mgs.

Klonopin 2 mgs.

Practicing CBT, DBT, and ACT self-help therapy.

Crazy since the 80's!

#11 hallowedink

hallowedink

Reality is cheap; as soon as you stop believing in it, it goes away.

• Pip
  • 1769 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

I'm experiencing that on the Topamax. Not as badly as what you are describing, though. Don't know what to recommend, I'm afraid... I've had to stop drinking fizzy drinks, though.

My Brain Salad: BPD, MDD, Insomnia, Anorexia Nervosa, "very likely" C-PTSD, Migraines
What they give me for it: Seroquel 300mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, Lofepramine 140mg, Pizotifen 3mg, Naproxen PRN, Zopiclone PRN, Valium PRN`

Have also dealt with: Panic Disorder (now in remission), Self-harm (stopped ~4 months, but still relapsing occasionally)

#12 crow66

crow66

• Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

I just thought of something...Seroquel has a antihistamine effect. Maybe things are just more open?
crow66
Dx: BP1, Temporal Lobe Epilepsy (TLE), Depressive Rumination, Shifting Weirdness; Rx: Seroquel XR 500mg, Seroquel 100mg (prn), Cymbalta 60mg, Namenda 20mg, Lamictal XR 300mg, Clonazepam 2mg, Saphris 20mg, Lorazepam 0.5mg (prn)

#13 Guest_Recluse_*

Guest_Recluse_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

Lol, you scared me enough with this statement that I went out and spent $12 on a pregnancy test this morning! Even though I have an IUD. Even though my sex life is non existant. Even though I haven't had my period in over 15 months. (thank the IUD and risperdal for that).

Thank goodness it was negative :)

Oh god! I didn't mean to scare you, I'm sorry!

It was more a joke than anything, but at least you don't have to worry about that part now, lol.

Edited by Recluse, 21 March 2012 - 02:03 PM.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.