Photo
- - - - -

How long does it take for Seroquel to work?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Smedley

Smedley

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

I've been on Seroquel before, but it was so long ago that quite frankly it's like being put on it again for the first time. I don't remember what it was like being on it.

In the past few weeks, obsessive thoughts, deluded thoughts, and racing thoughts have been making it almost impossible to function without intense suffering. Obsessive, delusional, and racing. This cocktail of thoughts is in a symbiotic relationship with rapid cycling of moods in what I fear is a terribly mixed episode of bipolar. That's how I'd describe it now.

I've been prescribed 25mg of Seroquel to be taken at night, on a full stomach. I've been on it for a few days, and it's certainly made things better. But just because something is better does not make it tolerable.

Right now, my thoughts are somewhat less obsessive, still deluded, and merely pacing instead of racing. It's like they've had molasses dumped on them (same with me, although I've heard that this wears off over time). It's easier - but still immensely difficult - to stay focused on anything, even the things I enjoy. I still can't spend time with friends or watch a movie or read a book without the thoughts constantly attempting to derail my enjoyment.

I've heard that Seroquel takes a while for the full benefits of it to kick in. I just have to ask, how long? How many more days will the obsessive thoughts torment me? How many more days of rapid fluctuations in mood and outlook? How many more days before I can start to think clearly again?

Or is it possible that Seroquel might not be the right medication?

I'm also taking Wellbutrin (300mg) in the morning and Prozac (10mg). I don't see the PDoc in another month.

Hope you guys can offer some help and/or insight.

Edited by Smedley, 31 March 2012 - 08:40 AM.

#2 rowan77

rowan77

• Pip
  • 2430 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

Well it depends what you are taking if for. It can take several weeks at a therapeutic dose (150mg-300mg) to ease depression. Mania or mixed episodes often require higher dosages 400mg +. Personally it took about 2 weeks on 600mg to bring me down from mania. Now I started feeling the effects after a week but it took longer to be fully effective. Everyone is different and responds to a medication in different ways in different time frames.

To be honest, if you are experiencing a mixed episode 25mg is not going to do much for you. 25mg might help you sleep, but that's about it.

DX: Bipolar Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder

Current RX: Lithium Carbonate 800mg, Seroquel XR 800mg, Lamictal 100mg x2 daily, Procyclidine 5mg, prozac 40mg 

Also Yasmin 0.3/3mg for PCOS and Losec 20mg for Hiatus Hernia

Previous RX:
Anti-depressants: dothiepin, clomipramine, paroxetine, mirtazepine, lofepramine, venlafaxine, escitalopram, agomelatine
Anti-psychotics: thoridazine, risperidone, olanzapine, haloperidol, aripiprazole, chlorpromazine
Mood Stabilisers: carbamazepine, sodium valproate,
Anxiolytics: alprazolam, diazepam, lorazepam, clonazepam
Hypnotics: lormetazepam, temazepam, zopiclone, zolpidem, flurazepam
ECT: 6 Treatments in 2003; 11 Treatments in 2005

"Be yourself - everybody else is taken." Oscar Wilde

#3 apetasticaL

apetasticaL

scatterbrained scribbler

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

yeah, 25mg is just going to act like a strong benadryl (mostly affects the histamine receptors) and it might put you to sleep. is your doctor planning to increase your dosage after a period of time?
smiling despair. no solution, but constantly exercising an authority over myself that i know is useless. the essential thing is not to lose oneself, and not to lose that part of oneself that lies sleeping in the world. -albert camus

dx: bipolar disorder NOS, borderline personality disorder, substance abuse
rx: lamotrigine 25 [titrating back to 200], aripiprazole 10, topiramate 50

past rx: lithium carbonate, divalproex sodium, levetiracetam, gabapentin, fluoxetine, paroxetine, doxepin, trazodone, quetiapine, paliperidone, olanzapine, ziprasidone, risperidone, trifluoperazine, methylphenidate, phenobarbital, chlordiazepoxide, diazepam, clonazepam, lorazepam, temazepam, buspirone, hydroxyzine, zolpidem, ramelteon

#4 melissab

melissab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

I am taking the same medication and I am on 200mg of it. It took me about a week to feel the full effects of the med. It is a very effective medication. It helps with my bipolor and depression. So, just hang in there you will feel the full effects very soon :)
Melissa :)

#5 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

I take 400 mgs for my bipolar.
Someone whom I know well takes 800 mgs for his bipolar.
My doctor has told me that if I start to swing into mania I can increase
my Seroquel dose up to 800 mgs. Hopefully I won't need to do that.

25 mgs is like a sleeping pill.
You need to have a talk with your doctor about Seroquel and dosage.

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

#6 Becks

Becks

• Pip
  • 510 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

I agree, 25mg will help you sleep, but I don't think it's going to touch much of your other symptoms. I was up to 300mg before my symptoms appeared to be under control and then a month in we needed to go up to 400mg. After a bout of rage, pdoc added in another 100mg to be taken during the day. Unfortunately, me and quel ended our relationship about a month ago.

Becca 

Author of Moorestorms A Guide for the Bipolar Parent

"And I never thought I'd say, that I'm weaker today than I was yesterday..oh man
But I'll fight as I always fight with whats inside of me.. this warrior spirit inside of me" - Sully Erna Broken Road

#7 enlightened_plutonian

enlightened_plutonian

The boundary between reality and delusion is currently out of the office

• Pip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:46 PM

I agree that you need to talk to your pdoc about increasing the dosage.

I started on 300mg for a week, and then went to 600mg (which I have been on ever since). I don't know about mood symptoms as I don't have them. But I found that my anxiety started to reduce probably during the first couple of weeks, as did the external thoughts that I was originally prescribed the Seroquel for, so pretty soon after reaching my full dose. Then I went through a strange period of confusion (that actually lasted several months, but I was coming out of a long running psychosis). I would say I had the full effect (getting rid of most of my delusions) starting after about 2 months or so, but I was on my way towards that probably from when my anxiety started reducing (losing the odd delusion here and there).

I am still not 100% symptom free (I still get stress related psychosis, which also causes a lot of anxiety), but mostly I am doing well and functioning a lot better than I ever could before going on meds.
Current diagnosis = psychosis NOS
History = depression (remission since April 2009), SI (remission since April 2009), alcohol abuse (remission since March 2007)
Past false dx = BPD (only symptom I had was SI), schizophrenia (I was very sleep deprived at the time)
Also have diabetes and pain issues (undiagnosed) and hayfever (April - June)

Current meds = Seroquel 800mg XR (as 400 in the morning and 400 in the night)
Also on insulin and Microgynon

I am not deluded, I just don't agree with your reality!

#8 Smedley

Smedley

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

I am taking the same medication and I am on 200mg of it. It took me about a week to feel the full effects of the med. It is a very effective medication. It helps with my bipolor and depression. So, just hang in there you will feel the full effects very soon :)

How long did it take for you?

#9 Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro

If you want to make sense, what are you looking at me for??

• Pip
  • 510 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:30 AM

Obviously all's I can give you is my personal experience; Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV), what happens to one person may not happen to you and vice-versa.

In my case, I'm taking it as a mood stabiliser in an effort to level out my rapid cycling bipolar & to reduce my constant anxiety (I have Generalised Anxiety Disorder as well).

I've been on Seroquel in both of its forms for about 1 month. First I tried the IR (25mgs twice a day) but all that did was make me a permanent zombie. Now I'm on the XR version (100mgs all taken at night) & am still dealing with the (for me) very sedative side effects. I can relate to feeling like your body & brain are coated in molasses. I'm still feeling much the same way.

I have noticed a difference in my thinking (for the better) and I'm noticing that I'm becoming more tolerant in my "self-talk" to myself -which is wonderful-, so for that reason alone I'll persist. (I have a lot of self hate going on, so anything that reduces that -even by only a fraction- I'll definitely try to stay on it).

I've heard (from both my GP & my Shrink) that Seroquel can take up to 3 months to "get used to" *sigh* (but remember, YMMV)

So far it hasn't dampened down my anxiety as much as I'd like, but I'm still on a low dose. I'm going to give it my best shot & stay on Seroquel until the end of June, if I'm still feeling as much of a zombie as I am at this point in time, I'll be asking my Drs to consider switching me to something else less sedating (if at all possible).

Sorry I can't give you a better answer.

I hope this post makes some sense!!!

"Visual bruises can be covered with makeup. But down to the core I'm all bruises" Majandra Delfino.
* These are just my personal opinions/ experiences/ things that have worked for me over time, they may or may not work for you, I'm not a medical professional. Seek medical advice before undertaking any exercise, medication, diet, or any major lifestyle changes *
Chiaroscuro: basically put; a juxtaposition of light & dark, commonly used in Art.
Current Dx:
Bipolar I -Rapid Cycling without psychosis-| Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD)| Asthma| Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)| Self Dx: ED/ Calorie restriction/ Binging/ Over Eating/ Slight Purging/ Over Exercising /Fasting/ Abuse of laxatives/ Disordered Eating/ Self Injury/Harm.

Previous Dxs:

BPII

Rapid Cycling BPII
Major Depressive Disorder (MDD)

Some traits of some sort of personality disorder (Pdoc never said which PD he felt it was)

Lack of coping mechanisms

Impulse control issues
Current Rx:

Lamictal (Lamotrigine) 100mg AM| Zactin/Lovan/Prozac (fluoxetine) 20mg AM|Valium (Diazepam) 2mg tablets prn|Eutroxsig (levothyroxine as thyroxine sodium) 50mg AM 5 days & 100mg 2 days a week|Symbicort Inhaler 200mcd/6mcg prn|Nexium (esomeprazole) 20mg AM & PM |Zantac (ranitidine) prn|~for Hayfever~ Telfast (Fexofenadine) 180mg AM OR Zyrtec (cetirizine) 10mg AM 
Previous Rx:
Lithium| Seroquel XR & IR (Quetiapine) | Epilim (Sodium Valproate)|Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine)| Effexor XR (Venlafaxine)| Aropax (Paroxetine Hydrochloride)| Cipramil (Citalopram Hydrobromide)

"Think of the solution, not the problem" ~Richard Rahl~ -Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth Series-

#10 Smedley

Smedley

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Obviously all's I can give you is my personal experience; Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV), what happens to one person may not happen to you and vice-versa.

In my case, I'm taking it as a mood stabiliser in an effort to level out my rapid cycling bipolar & to reduce my constant anxiety (I have Generalised Anxiety Disorder as well).

I've been on Seroquel in both of its forms for about 1 month. First I tried the IR (25mgs twice a day) but all that did was make me a permanent zombie. Now I'm on the XR version (100mgs all taken at night) & am still dealing with the (for me) very sedative side effects. I can relate to feeling like your body & brain are coated in molasses. I'm still feeling much the same way.

I have noticed a difference in my thinking (for the better) and I'm noticing that I'm becoming more tolerant in my "self-talk" to myself -which is wonderful-, so for that reason alone I'll persist. (I have a lot of self hate going on, so anything that reduces that -even by only a fraction- I'll definitely try to stay on it).

I've heard (from both my GP & my Shrink) that Seroquel can take up to 3 months to "get used to" *sigh* (but remember, YMMV)

So far it hasn't dampened down my anxiety as much as I'd like, but I'm still on a low dose. I'm going to give it my best shot & stay on Seroquel until the end of June, if I'm still feeling as much of a zombie as I am at this point in time, I'll be asking my Drs to consider switching me to something else less sedating (if at all possible).

Sorry I can't give you a better answer.

I hope this post makes some sense!!!

This post definitely makes sense, and thank you for the effort.

I'm not going to see the doc for another month. I think I'm going to just endure until then, and see what happens. I just want to know as much as possible before I go back.

#11 larkspur

larkspur

I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired

• Pip
  • 621 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:30 PM

I did a rapid titration from 50mg to 300mg of Seroquel XR in six days. My pdoc said that rapidly increasing the dose each night would help dampen the sleep-zombie feeling. He was right. It worked immediately for my agitated hypomania, and after about 4-6 weeks I felt the depression lifting too. I take my Seroquel at 6:30 or 7pm, before dinner. Some nights I get very sleepy around 10pm and some nights I don't really feel drowsy, but still fall asleep immediately after going to bed.

I feel that Seroquel XR is working really well for me, but I don't think it would've done much at a dose below 300mg. In fact, I'm considering asking to go up to 400mg because lately I've been having some emotional outbursts.

Current Dx: bipolar ii, predominantly depressed/mixed; obsessive-compulsive disorder; generalized anxiety disorder and social phobia; attention deficit

Current Rx situation: Latuda 60mg, Lexapro 20mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Adderall 15mg b.i.d. clonidine .1mg b.i.d., Valium 2mg t.i.d.
Non-psych Rx:  levothyroxine 50mcg,  Voltaren gel 1%, Mobic 15mg, Flexeril 10mg q.6h for muscle relaxation
OTC/supplements: women's multivitamin, magnesium 250mg, biotin 1000mcg

Previous Rx's: Restoril (temazepam), Xanax (alprazolam), Tegretol (carbamazepine), Pamelor (nortriptyline), Zyprexa (olanzapine), Viibryd (vilazadone), lithium, Topamax (topiramate), Thorazine (chlorpromazine), Luvox (fluvoxamine), Vistaril (hydroxyzine), Geodon (ziprasidone), Lamictal (lamotrigine), Seroquel XR (quetiapine), dextroamphetamine, Ritalin (methylphenidate), Depakote (divalproex sodium), Abilify (aripiprazole), Remeron (mirtazapine), Celexa (citalopram), Adderall (mixed amphetamine salts), Ativan (lorazepam), Ambien/Intermezzo (zolpidem), Effexor XR (venlafaxine), Desyrel (trazodone), Lunesta (eszopiclone)

#12 your_illusion97

your_illusion97

Struggle is the price you pay

• Pip
  • 359 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

I am in agreement with those that say 25mg will help you sleep, and sleep well, but as for controlling other symptoms, probably not. I have tried Seruquel twice and both times it knocked me on my butt, I mean I slept like the dead, which was the nice thing because I wasnt sleeping well at the times I tried it. The reason I cant take it is that it is too sedating even at a 25mg dose at night. I was in a total for the whole next day. Oh and I have tried the plain and the extended release, same thing both times.

Diagnosis: Bipolar 1, GAD, ADD

Current meds: Lamictal 400mg 1x daily, Lithium ER 900mg,Adderall XR 30mg 2x daily, Klonopin 2mg 2x daily, Vistaril 25mg 4x daily, Geodon 60mg at bedtime, Saphris 10mg at bedtime, Viibryd 40mg, Procardia XL 30mg( for HBP), Asprin 81mg, Zyrtec 10mg x1 daily,

Previous: Abilify 15mg, Zoloft 50mg, Lexapro 10mg, Zyprexa, Seroquel plain and XR, Trazadone,Vyvanse , Neurontin 100mg, Strattera, Geodon 120mg &160mg, Adderall 30mg, Wellbutrin XL 300mgmg, Geodon 80mg, Paxil, Risperdal, Buspar

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.