Did you exercise TODAY?

• Please log in to reply
3863 replies to this topic

#1 dedoubt

dedoubt

• Pip
  • 1582 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

(Hello there, Sir Boss Gods-- sorry if this isn't the right subforum, but I couldn't quite think of another that might be better. Please do move it if need be, or delete it outright if it's just totally d-u-m-b. Or if there is another thread like this, you know, just blow this one to smithereens or something...)

In the spirit of the other threads that are all about stuff going on TODAY, I am going to start one about exercise. I desperately need to exercise, to lose weight and to stop feeling like a zombie slug, and if I am obligated in even some small way to others, I am more likely to do it.

I'm thinking that just simply stating whether or not we have exercised that day would be enough, though I suppose it might be nice to hear *what* people are doing. Maybe we could start out stating our goal, too.

My goal is to lose 45 pounds, to be able to ride my bike long distances and to be able to climb mountains again without almost passing out (in particular I plan to climb Mt. Washington with my daughter by the end of summer). All of that will contribute to better health and much better self esteem. :D

Today I didn't exercise, but I did work (cleaning houses) which is some kind of workout.

The crazy: Bipolar disorder 1 (rapid cycling, with psychosis), personality disorder (NOS), PTSD, ADD, uppity

The pills: None. Mutually agreed upon with my pdoc as the best choice for now.

"All at once is what eternity is." Kenneth Patchen

#2 malachite

malachite

• Pip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

I walked, but only for 20 minutes.

Type of Crazy: MDD and GAD
Former meds: Geodon, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Lithium, Xanax, Klonopin, Zoloft, Paxil, Lamictal, Temazapam, Risperdal, Serzone, Trazodone, Lexapro, Xanax XR, Buspar, Effexor, Desipramine, and about seven more I can't remember.
Current psych meds: Clomipramine (50mg.) Valium (2mg.4
x a day) Trileptal (600mg.) Lunesta (2.mg) OR Ambien (10mg.) Trazodone (100mg.)
Other Meds: Crestor, Metformin,Omeprazole, Propanalol
Physical woes: Migraine, PCOS, CFIDS, Diabetes, High cholesterol
ECT (Fall 2010), (Fall 2012)

"You might be the wrong color, yeah, you might just be too poor. Justice isn't something, just anyone can afford."-Ani Difranco

#3 The Emperor

The Emperor

Is there a hole for me to get sick in?

• Pip
  • 3717 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

I aspire to exercise. Instead I spend all day talking to a toddler and basically sitting down. That's what I did today. But I have exercise related shit laying around that I need to make use of because I spent a shit ton of money on them. (or what to me equals a shit ton) So hopefully this will help get me motivated!

I want to be in bathing suit shape by the summer and I would like to either tone up, or lose fifteen pounds, I don't care which.

What the docs wrote down about my Crazy: Bipolar II, Some anxiety issue
The pills they give me to fix this shit: Lamictal 175mg, clonazepam 1mg , Trileptal 600mg
Pills that did NOT fix this shit: Sertraline, Buspirone, Mirtazipine, Paroxetine, Gabapentin, Effexor XR, Lorazepam, Cymbalta(twice), Zolpidem, Bupropion XL, Pristiq, Fluoxetine, Vistaril, Lexapro, Celexa, Trazodone, Geodon

Pills that worked well enough but side effects were total shit so I stopped: Abilify, Lithium, valium

sun moon stars rain

#4 olga

olga

Life is better when you bring home a furry pal

• Inmate
  • 10607 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

I walked for 40 minutes on my friend's land, which includes a hill we call "Heartbreak Hill." I also planted a couple of blueberry bushes, which involved some spade work and hauling around of stuff in a wheelbarrow.

Don't knock walking for 20 minutes, Malachite. That's better than no minutes, and if you did that every day you would be walking over 2 hours each week.

dedoubt, if you can walk out of your house and down the street for 10 minutes, and then turn around and walk home, you've walked for 20 minutes. It's an excellent start to an exercise program and it doesn't take much time out of your day.

I will check back tomorrow night to see if you do it. *wink*

olga

Edited by olga, 31 March 2012 - 09:01 PM.
misspelled word

I'm bossy, opinionated, and over 60, so be prepared for advice if you post a question. However, I am not a medical professional, so please consult a doctor about your mental health issues and medications.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Be with someone who ruins your lipstick---not your mascara.

#5 dedoubt

dedoubt

• Pip
  • 1582 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

Yay! Three of you! I agree with olga about even a small amount being better than none. 20 minutes of walking is still getting your body moving. And T.E.-- take that toddler on a walk. Those can be some of the most brutal workouts. Run, walk, run, walk, dash into street, run, walk, stop look at ant, walk, run... :)

dedoubt, if you can walk out of your house and down the street for 10 minutes, and then turn around and walk home, you've walked for 20 minutes. It's an excellent start to an exercise program and it doesn't take much time out of your day.

I will check back tomorrow night to see if you do it. *wink*

You are very right, and I will do that at the very least. I have a gym membership that I am planning to use, as well. Starting out small, working up to an hour a day.

And thank you for checking back-- I really, really need that. Every person that I am accountable to gives me more motivation. Even my kids are in on this. My daughter asked me to walk half a block to the park, then had us walk around the statue there a million times, then she kept me going way far down the road, and it was so much fun!

The crazy: Bipolar disorder 1 (rapid cycling, with psychosis), personality disorder (NOS), PTSD, ADD, uppity

#6 olga

olga

• Inmate
  • 10607 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:43 PM

A walking buddy helps immensely. I've been walking daily for 6 years, and I did the first year by myself. Then Carolyn joined me and it has made it much easier for me to keep doing it. If it's a rainy, sleety day I will try to weasel out of it----and she doesn't let me!

I'm glad your daughter is such a good coach!

olga

I'm bossy, opinionated, and over 60, so be prepared for advice if you post a question. However, I am not a medical professional, so please consult a doctor about your mental health issues and medications.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#7 Wooster

Wooster

"I need a drink and a peer group." -Ford Prefect

• Admin
  • 5786 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

HURRAY!

I was just about to write a big bitch blog about feeling frustrated with my lack of exercise.

However, I am also happy to be able to report here:

I did a 45 minutes Walk at Home low-impact aerobic set. (I 'borrow' the videos on youtube).

Boards I mod on: self harm, panic/anxiety, ptsd, ocd, dissociative, sleep, not otherwise specified, benzos, lifestyle alternatives, therapy, health care system

Current meds: 60# golden retriever service dog, (swellbutrin, light box, vitamin D for the impending lack of sunlight blahs)

*disclaimer--Nothing I write should be construed as professional advice or creating a therapeutic relationship.*

Hurray! I *finally* figured out how to correct my starting weight on MFP!
21850981.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

#8 Titania

Titania

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 5260 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:38 AM

I had sex this morning. Which I hope counts. I'm gonna put some tents up later too, which will be physical, and I'll try to get 20 mins of walking in.

Mal and everyone else:

20 minutes is enough to make a big difference to your health.

“I am naïve and I have fucked up but I tell you something else. I believe in change. I don't mind getting my hands dirty because my hands are dirty already. I don't mind giving my life to this because I'm only alive because of the compassion and love of others.” Russell Brand.

"She said to go ahead and feel the feelings. I did. They felt like shit." Anne Lammot.

"you are not too old/and it is not too late/to dive into your increasing depths/where life calmly gives out/it's own secret" Rilke

"You," he said, "are a terribly real thing in a terribly false world, and that, I believe, is why you are in so much pain." Emilie Autumn - The Asylum For WayWard Victorian Girls.

#9 Bernard

Bernard

Sleep Deprived

• Pip
  • 443 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:04 AM

What a great thread. Hi OP, I'll jump in and try to be encouraging.

I love that video Titania.

Unfortunately, I did no exercise. Unless you count walking up and down the back stairs a zillion times (carrying laundry, children, drinks, hats - we're forgetful when we go into the yard) There's 10 stairs. I'm counting that.

OK, no I'm not. I should do some yoga before bed or something.

dx: mdd; pmdd; ocd; gad; 
rx: Pristiq; ACT (therapy)
past rx:Effexor-XR; Zoloft
I'm a girl.

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it enjoy the view..."

"My own hands can never wash me clean of every thought that I try to master..."

#10 Destro

Destro

Inmate

• Pip
  • 202 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

I'll take a 30 min walk down the hill and back this evening.
current dx: paranoid schizophrenia
previous dx: panic disorder, major depression with pychotic features, psychotic NOS
current rx: Seroquel, Zoloft, Klonopin, Propranolol
former rx: Abilify, zyprexa, wellbutrin, haldol, prozac, paxil, effexor

#11 dedoubt

dedoubt

• Pip
  • 1582 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

Titania, sex definitely counts (at least the kind of sex I enjoy).

I walked for 18 minutes. I walked for ten minutes one way, and apparently walked back faster. Oh well, it's just as well, my shoes are squeezing my feet and it's frickin' windy & cold outside.

Now to finish folding the laundry (does that count?).

#12 olga

olga

• Inmate
  • 10607 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

Dedoubt, folding laundry is a little upper-body work. If you want to have some fun while you watch TV, get a couple of cans of corn or tomatoes out of your pantry and do some arm lifts with those 1-pound weights.

Hooray for the 18-minute walk! If you haven't watched Titania's video, please do. The guy makes a really good case for just a half-hour of exercise every day.

Also, do you have good sneakers or other shoes that you can walk in? I know what it's like to have feet that hurt, and I'm a real wuss about foot pain. Anyway, you can call April 1 the first day of your new regimen. I started on March 23, 2006, and I can't believe it's 6 years already.

olga

#13 dedoubt

dedoubt

• Pip
  • 1582 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

I'll have to buy some cans of vegetables-- that's a great idea! I did watch that great video, and it was really inspiring (though some of it moved too fast for my tortoise brain).

Also, do you have good sneakers or other shoes that you can walk in? I know what it's like to have feet that hurt, and I'm a real wuss about foot pain. Anyway, you can call April 1 the first day of your new regimen. I started on March 23, 2006, and I can't believe it's 6 years already.

I do have better shoes, but couldn't be bothered to look for them (naughty daughter went off with them). After that walk, I will be sure to remember. Thanks for the idea about this being the first day of my new regimen. I'm really enthusiastic about making some changes in myself, and going one day at a time to reach my goal. I'm seeing my family in three months, and old friends, and I want to look and feel better.

Congratulations on your 6 years! :D

#14 enlightened_plutonian

enlightened_plutonian

The boundary between reality and delusion is currently out of the office

• Pip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

I walk something pretty much every day. I go to the shop if I need to, or go somewhere and walk around (such as the park, or the town centre). I usually go with doing a little bit at a time, and spreading it all through the day. That is what works best for me.

I find with my pain I can only do light exercise, but if I don't do that light exercise then my pain (and my anxiety) get a lot worse.
Current diagnosis = psychosis NOS
History = depression (remission since April 2009), SI (remission since April 2009), alcohol abuse (remission since March 2007)
Past false dx = BPD (only symptom I had was SI), schizophrenia (I was very sleep deprived at the time)
Also have diabetes and pain issues (undiagnosed) and hayfever (April - June)

Current meds = Seroquel 800mg XR (as 400 in the morning and 400 in the night)
Also on insulin and Microgynon

I am not deluded, I just don't agree with your reality!

#15 Titania

Titania

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 5260 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

Smooth and I walked for thirty minutes today.

“I am naïve and I have fucked up but I tell you something else. I believe in change. I don't mind getting my hands dirty because my hands are dirty already. I don't mind giving my life to this because I'm only alive because of the compassion and love of others.” Russell Brand.

"She said to go ahead and feel the feelings. I did. They felt like shit." Anne Lammot.

"you are not too old/and it is not too late/to dive into your increasing depths/where life calmly gives out/it's own secret" Rilke

"You," he said, "are a terribly real thing in a terribly false world, and that, I believe, is why you are in so much pain." Emilie Autumn - The Asylum For WayWard Victorian Girls.

#16 olga

olga

• Inmate
  • 10607 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

Hey, everyone is walking!! I walked for 35 minutes with my friend Carolyn and the doggies. It was raining, so we cut off one loop of our walk, but tomorrow we will add it back in if the rain has stopped.

Titania had sex AND a half-hour walk!! Two thumbs up! :)

Dedoubt, the video does move kind of quickly, but I think he makes his point in a way that is so encouraging and non-judgmental. Plus, the drawings are a riot! I'm glad you have good shoes to wear when you walk tomorrow.

olga

I walk something pretty much every day. I go to the shop if I need to, or go somewhere and walk around (such as the park, or the town centre). I usually go with doing a little bit at a time, and spreading it all through the day. That is what works best for me.

I find with my pain I can only do light exercise, but if I don't do that light exercise then my pain (and my anxiety) get a lot worse.

I think it's interesting that people with anxiety find it is lessened when they exercise. I'm glad you are doing something that is within your capabilities.

olga

#17 b002

b002

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

I went roller skating for a few hours probably totaling an hour of actual skating. Haven't been exercising at all lately. Need to try to stick to my daily walks, too.

Wish I could rollerskate more often.

Edited by b002, 01 April 2012 - 09:33 PM.

#18 Wooster

Wooster

"I need a drink and a peer group." -Ford Prefect

• Admin
  • 5786 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

I did a 10 min + 10 min today while I was at work.

ETA: Also learned that 14 down-and-backs makes a mile. Someone at work already had that figured out, which is good to know.

Edited by Woosmurf, 01 April 2012 - 11:48 PM.

Boards I mod on: self harm, panic/anxiety, ptsd, ocd, dissociative, sleep, not otherwise specified, benzos, lifestyle alternatives, therapy, health care system

Current meds: 60# golden retriever service dog, (swellbutrin, light box, vitamin D for the impending lack of sunlight blahs)

*disclaimer--Nothing I write should be construed as professional advice or creating a therapeutic relationship.*

Hurray! I *finally* figured out how to correct my starting weight on MFP!
21850981.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

#19 Titania

Titania

• Inmate Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 5260 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:26 AM

I'm going to walk for twenty minutes and do fifteen minutes of an aerobics video, fifteen minutes being all I can do right now. I also have a goal of starting to use the stairs rather than the elevator to my flat. I'm starting by seeing if I can do three flights then using the lift, then four, then five etc.

#20 dedoubt

dedoubt

• Pip
  • 1582 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

I also have a goal of starting to use the stairs rather than the elevator to my flat. I'm starting by seeing if I can do three flights then using the lift, then four, then five etc.

You could stick some gums in the mechanism and then you will *have* to walk... I should probably move my room to the third floor, then I will have an extra flight to climb every day.

Does arguing with an almost 13 year old count as exercise? Because I am exhausted... :(

Today I will be working (2 hours of driving & 3 hours of housework), and when I get home I will be going for a 20 minute walk. Maybe more, but right this second I am too tired to contemplate that.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.