9 replies to this topic

#1 troop111

troop111

troop111

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

Greetings,

I have been told by a previous doctor that I don't have to fast when getting my Lithium level tested, just to wait 12 hours after my last dose before I get the blood drawn.

My new doctor, however, is telling me to fast. Is this necessary?

Thank you greatly.

troop

Diagnosis: Bipolar II, Major Depression, OCD, GAD, Panic Disorder

Rx: Prozac 40mg/day; Lamictal 100mg/day; Valium 12 mg/day; Zyprexa 5-10mg once a week.

Previous Rx: Lithium; Restoril; Effexor XR; Abilify; Lexapro; Zoloft; Luvox; Paxil; Geodon; Klonopin; Ativan

#2 netsavy006

netsavy006

I'm Andy

• Pip
  • 2147 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

Even though I've been on Lithium for 3 years now, I don't know if you have to fast for Lithium levels. I hope someone who knows can chime in as I'd like to learn this too.

- Andy -
Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg QID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Propranolol 10mg BID + Centrum + Fish Oil

#3 your_illusion97

your_illusion97

Struggle is the price you pay

• Pip
  • 359 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

good question, I do know in the info my pNP gave me it says take your morning dose after the test or it will effect the results. Have no clue about the fasting.

Diagnosis: Bipolar 1, GAD, ADD

Current meds: Lamictal 400mg 1x daily, Lithium ER 900mg,Adderall XR 30mg 2x daily, Klonopin 2mg 2x daily, Vistaril 25mg 4x daily, Geodon 60mg at bedtime, Saphris 10mg at bedtime, Viibryd 40mg, Procardia XL 30mg( for HBP), Asprin 81mg, Zyrtec 10mg x1 daily,

Previous: Abilify 15mg, Zoloft 50mg, Lexapro 10mg, Zyprexa, Seroquel plain and XR, Trazadone,Vyvanse , Neurontin 100mg, Strattera, Geodon 120mg &160mg, Adderall 30mg, Wellbutrin XL 300mgmg, Geodon 80mg, Paxil, Risperdal, Buspar

#4 rowan77

rowan77

• Pip
  • 1895 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

No you don't have to fast when getting your lithium level checked. I've been getting my level checked every few months for the past 9 years and never had to fast.

However your doctor may be wanting to check your cholesterol or do other blood tests requiring you to fast AS WELL as doing your lithium blood level. That's the only reason I can think of!

DX: Bipolar Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder

Current RX: Lithium Carbonate 800mg, Seroquel XR 800mg, Lamictal 100mg x2 daily, Procyclidine 5mg, prozac 40mg 

Also Yasmin 0.3/3mg for PCOS and Losec 20mg for Hiatus Hernia

Previous RX:
Anti-depressants: dothiepin, clomipramine, paroxetine, mirtazepine, lofepramine, venlafaxine, escitalopram, agomelatine
Anti-psychotics: thoridazine, risperidone, olanzapine, haloperidol, aripiprazole, chlorpromazine
Mood Stabilisers: carbamazepine, sodium valproate,
Anxiolytics: alprazolam, diazepam, lorazepam, clonazepam
Hypnotics: lormetazepam, temazepam, zopiclone, zolpidem, flurazepam

ECT: 6 Treatments in 2003; 11 Treatments in 2005

"Be yourself - everybody else is taken." Oscar Wilde

#5 Maybell

Maybell

I'm writing that bitch a sonnet. Bitches love sonnets

• Pip
  • 331 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

ditto what rowntree77 said, no reason to fast for a lithium test, but my doc usually tests for other things as well at the same time, so it could be one of those things that you need to fast for.
“Isolated, she managed somehow to feel free—albeit with a freedom that made her want to smash a hole in the very center of the universe.”

Flora Rheta Schreiber

#6 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

You don't have to fast for the lithium blood test only, but oftentimes your pdoc will request other tests along with it that do require you to fast.

An important thing to remember is to take your blood test as close to 12 hours after your last dose to get an accurate "base" lithium blood level.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#7 your_illusion97

your_illusion97

Struggle is the price you pay

• Pip
  • 359 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

good info to know thanks everyone. I will have to aske my pNP about that tomorrow.

Diagnosis: Bipolar 1, GAD, ADD

Current meds: Lamictal 400mg 1x daily, Lithium ER 900mg,Adderall XR 30mg 2x daily, Klonopin 2mg 2x daily, Vistaril 25mg 4x daily, Geodon 60mg at bedtime, Saphris 10mg at bedtime, Viibryd 40mg, Procardia XL 30mg( for HBP), Asprin 81mg, Zyrtec 10mg x1 daily,

Previous: Abilify 15mg, Zoloft 50mg, Lexapro 10mg, Zyprexa, Seroquel plain and XR, Trazadone,Vyvanse , Neurontin 100mg, Strattera, Geodon 120mg &160mg, Adderall 30mg, Wellbutrin XL 300mgmg, Geodon 80mg, Paxil, Risperdal, Buspar

#8 beccasmurf

beccasmurf

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

I've never had to fast, either. The one time I forgot to eat before getting the blood test done I almost passed out, but then again that's me. All in all, I don't think you would have to fast.
"So I wonder this as life billows smoke inside my head, this little game where nothing is sure, oh
why would you play by the rules?"

DX: Bipolar, ADHD (inattentive type]
RX: 900 mg Lithium Carb, 50 mg tradozone, 20mg Prozac
, 200 mg Lamictal, 400 mg Neurontin, 20 mg Adderall XR,

#9 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4385 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

yes, you don't need to fast for JUST a lithium test
but my doctor always tests thyroid, glucose, cholesterol and other functions
so I always fast

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

#10 happyheart19

happyheart19

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

I never fasted for a Lithium test.
Dx: Bipolar I (p-doc says, I believe it's more of a II) and Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder

Rx: Risperidone, Topamax, Lamictal, Wellbutrin, Beyaz, Ativan PRN
Past Rx: Zyprexa, Seroquel, Geodon, Zoloft, Ambien, Klonopin, Lithium, Abilify, Trazodone, Effexor XR, Pristiq, Lexapro, Fluoxetine

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.