Is my gallbladder to blame?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 seamonkey

seamonkey

• Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

I recently had blood work that showed my liver values were elevated. They did an ultrasound on my liver and found gallstones. I met with a surgeon and since it's not actually causing me any pain, they want me to wait till June to have it removed because they will be doing it robotically.

I have tried googling this and keep coming up with cleanse sites and how to dissolve my gallstones with olive oil, but nothing really more informative

I have had my sleep under control for about a year with seroquel. Even the slightest thing like taking my iron supplement too late effects my sleep

I forgot to ask the surgeon, but for the past few months, I have not had issues falling asleep, but I am waking up 3-4 times a night. Sometimes I can get back to sleep and sometimes I can't and I go to the gym till it's time to work.

Has anyone experienced gallstones know if it actually DOES affect sleep? The cleanse sites are saying nightmares and insomnia. I've had some pretty vivid dreams
Bipolar, current cocktail 120mgs geodon, 1 mg Klonopin, 50mgs Seroque, .1mg clonidine

#2 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 20073 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

I've never heard of gallstones in the liver. Only in the gallbladder. Most meds are processed through the liver, so maybe the stones are a way of saying there is something starting to be wrong with your liver. But I am confused as to whether you mean liver or gallblader.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Flonase, Flexeril, Zofran, Iron.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#3 seamonkey

seamonkey

• Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:16 PM

The gallstones are in my gallbladder, but somehow affecting my liver values is what the nurse told me when she called to say they found the gallstones
Bipolar, current cocktail 120mgs geodon, 1 mg Klonopin, 50mgs Seroque, .1mg clonidine

#4 Eden

Eden

• Pip
  • 758 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

I would suspect the doc would have noticed something was wrong if it was your gall bladder, and without significant pain or digestive issues I wouldn't suspect it at all.

Sleep problems are common for psych patients, and seroquel crapped out on me after about a year.

New Dx: Psychosis NOS, MDD + Aspergers and ADHD Inattentive type w/ social anxiety.
Also: Celiac disease and chronic 'flavor of the week' insomnia.

-Scratch that, uncle Sam gave me a clean bill of health cuz I talk gud n stuff.

"Mankind are a herd of knaves and fools.
It is necessary to join the crowd, or get out of their way,
in order not to be trampled to death by them" William Hazlitt.

One does not simply walk into dictionary.

#5 seamonkey

seamonkey

• Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

the gallstones were found in an ultrasound of my liver. The surgeon looked at both my last cholesterol panel and my diet and family history and said with both a mother, father, and grandmother with gallstones, mine are genetic and we should remove it while I am young and it is not inflamed because healing would be better.

I'm not having any issues falling asleep. I take my seroquel and I fall asleep about 30 minutes later. I'm just waking up at 3am. I had brought this up with my p-doc before I found out about the gallstones and with that and my mood lately, he increased me to 300mgs.

#6 larkspur

larkspur

I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired

• Pip
  • 629 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

Gallbladder dysfunction is notorious for mid-night awakening, but usually its due to pain. I've had my laparoscopic cholecystectomy done, and here's my thoughts.

1) you can have stones (cholelithasis) but no gallbladder disease (cholecystitis). Most people will have gallstones but the vast majority are asymptomatic. They need to test your gallbladder function first, using a CCK-HIDA scan. If your gallbladder function is minimal (I think below 15% is the cutoff, don't quote me on that), then it may be a good idea to consider removal.
2) it could be bothering you in other ways. If you have chronic diarrhea, for example, that can be caused by gallbladder disease. If you have heartburn-like pain on the right side, near the bottom of your ribcage...that is your gallbladder throwing a tantrum.
3) all that said, if it isn't bothering you, then don't have surgery. Instead, you can change your diet and exercise more to decrease your chances of a gallbladder attack later.

Gallbladder attacks are no fun. But cholecystectomies are no fun either. I know it's a simple surgery and little recovery time, but for me the two weeks after surgery were terribly painful and way WAY worse than the surgeon said. But I have heightened sensitivity to pain and don't tolerate opiates well, do I was probably screwed from the get-go.

Edited by larkspur, 01 May 2012 - 07:03 PM.

Current Dx: bipolar ii, predominantly depressed/mixed; obsessive-compulsive disorder; generalized anxiety disorder and social phobia; attention deficit

Current Rx situation: Latuda 80mg, Lexapro 20mg, Wellbutrin XL 450mg, Adderall 15mg b.i.d. clonidine .1mg b.i.d., Valium 2mg t.i.d.
Non-psych Rx:  levothyroxine 50mcg,  Voltaren gel 1%, Mobic 15mg, Flexeril 10mg q.6h for muscle relaxation
OTC/supplements: women's multivitamin, magnesium 250mg, biotin 1000mcg

Previous Rx's: Restoril (temazepam), Xanax (alprazolam), Tegretol (carbamazepine), Pamelor (nortriptyline), Zyprexa (olanzapine), Viibryd (vilazadone), lithium, Topamax (topiramate), Thorazine (chlorpromazine), Luvox (fluvoxamine), Vistaril (hydroxyzine), Geodon (ziprasidone), Lamictal (lamotrigine), Seroquel XR (quetiapine), dextroamphetamine, Ritalin (methylphenidate), Depakote (divalproex sodium), Abilify (aripiprazole), Remeron (mirtazapine), Celexa (citalopram), Adderall (mixed amphetamine salts), Ativan (lorazepam), Ambien/Intermezzo (zolpidem), Effexor XR (venlafaxine), Desyrel (trazodone), Lunesta (eszopiclone)

#7 sylvan

sylvan

Pill Party

• Admin
  • 4269 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:09 PM

By the time they finally got my gallbladder out, I was so relieved, I almost cried. I'd been in so much pain I was throwing up. It went on and off for years. They kept telling me it was stress. Stress my ass. When my liver functions starting getting bad it still didn't send up any red flags. By the time they finally identified the problem I had figured it out myself. Needless to say, I changed doctors. The pain of surgery was nothing compared to the pain from the gallbladder. I was up and walking a few hours after surgery and felt fine after about a week. I still even have two of the stones in a little plastic jar. They are so cool looking. And huge. About the size of those really big marbles. They only gave me two. There were lots more.

So, back to your question. No, my gallbladder did not give me sleep problems other than when I'd get an attack in the middle of the night and I'd be in the bathroom throwing up.

Best of luck to you.

It has been a year since one of the best people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing passed away. He was strong, intelligent, caring, and honest. I had the honor of calling him Daddy. I will miss both my parents for as long as I live. I hope that I can be even half as good of a spouse, parent, and friend as the two of them were. Life is now forever changed for me. It will never be like it was. That doesn't mean it will all be bad, it will just be different.

#8 2Spirals

2Spirals

Keeping this human mind entertained.

• Pip
  • 738 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:59 PM

I had gallstones and my gallbladder was removed. I didn't have any sleep issues before it was removed however. Except that I couldn't sleep when it was so painful...

Diagnosis: Bipolar I, Generalized Anxiety Disorder & Panic Disorder
Medications: Lamictal 200mg, Lorazepam 2mg (PRN), Clonazepam 2mg
Old Medications: Buspar, Paxil, Lexapro, Lamictal, Topamax, Geodon, Clonazepam, Abilify, Seroquel XR, Citalopram, Risperidone, Seroquel IR, Viibryd, wellbutrin

#9 joachim

joachim

take my advice...I'm not using it!

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

right - I don't think I had any problems other than those attacks when the stones get stuck in the ducts - worse than childbirth!! and they always happen at night...nothing you have to guess at

I was also very relieved to get surgery and mine was old style...got a diagonal scar running half way across me

I'm still confused about how one's gastric process does without it...seems there would be some kind of difference...anyone?

...stephanie
"MAD, adj. Affected with a high degree of intellectual independence; not conforming to standards of thought, speech and action derived by the conformants from the study of themselves; at odds with the majority; in short, unusual. It is noteworthy that persons are pronounced mad by officials destitute of evidence that they themselves are sane..."
-- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

#10 melissaw72

melissaw72

• Pip
  • 20073 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

right - I don't think I had any problems other than those attacks when the stones get stuck in the ducts - worse than childbirth!! and they always happen at night...nothing you have to guess at

I was also very relieved to get surgery and mine was old style...got a diagonal scar running half way across me

I'm still confused about how one's gastric process does without it...seems there would be some kind of difference...anyone?

...stephanie

This link seems to sum it up:

http://www.netdoctor...ney/205835.html

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Flonase, Flexeril, Zofran, Iron.

#11 2Spirals

2Spirals

Keeping this human mind entertained.

• Pip
  • 738 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:12 AM

After I had mine removed I was told by the doctor that there would be a constant small trickle of bile instead of the gallbladder which acts as a resovior and when you eat high fat foods, is stimulated to release the bile to digest it, or something like that. So as far as function without a gallbladder, I have not noticed a difference in the way I digest food, or anything.

Diagnosis: Bipolar I, Generalized Anxiety Disorder & Panic Disorder
Medications: Lamictal 200mg, Lorazepam 2mg (PRN), Clonazepam 2mg
Old Medications: Buspar, Paxil, Lexapro, Lamictal, Topamax, Geodon, Clonazepam, Abilify, Seroquel XR, Citalopram, Risperidone, Seroquel IR, Viibryd, wellbutrin

#12 bpladybug

bpladybug

Your friendly bipolar Aunt

• Pip
  • 4568 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:01 AM

It was a tremendous relief to have my gallbladder surgery. I had my first attack
in the middle of the night, shortly after we were married. A trip to the ER and
the ultrasound, or whatever, showed not stones but 'sludge'.
That was the term.

My GP spent the next year telling me it was heart burn. Every time I ate I
was nauseus. It was awfull and we were newlyweds.

A friend who was a nurse encouraged me to have the surgery.
I insisted on speaking with a surgeon.
The surgery went well though the recovery took longer than anticipated.

I fired the doctor.

If you wake up in pain then it might be the gallbladder.
If you just wake up with anxiety or something then it is not gallbladder related
in my opinion.

I regret the year I spend miserable.

ladybuglove.jpg

'Mania is a dangerous Mistress.' BPLadybug

Bipolar 1
Treatment: 900 mgs Lithium, 900 mgs Neurontin, 400 mgs Seroquel, Xanax prn, Temazepam, fish oil, vitamins, Vit. D 5, 000 IU, exercize, some talk therapy and CBT Therapy. Exercize helps as does the Light Box; 30 mins every morning. I also have physical health challenges.

#13 melissaw72

melissaw72

• Pip
  • 20073 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

...stephanie

Your other organs compensate for the loss of your gallbladder. ie, with a kidney or ovary, if one is removed, the other grows a little larger to compensate for the functions as if you had 2 of them. With a gall bladder, I *think* the bile ducts compensate for the loss of it.

#14 FlamelessCandle

FlamelessCandle

A candle without a flame sheds no light...

• Pip
  • 1653 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

To seamonkey ..... don't put a lot of faith in those "cleanse" sites that promise that you can cleanse the liver and/or gallbladder by drinking a combination of stuff, usually including some type of oil or oils. Those are pretty much fake remedies.

In my experience it would be odd for gallstones to wake you at night unless it was from pain. So I don't think the waking up is from that.

LOTS of good info on the web re: gallbladder disease on sites like Mayo clinic, National Institutes of Health (NIH), Cleveland Clinic...and until you have your surgery, there are things you can do with your diet to lessen the chance of having an attack with pain.

There are diet recommendations on those sites. Avoid fried foods and high-fat anything. Avoid most animal fat. Salads are good. (Those are just a few highlights; doesn't mean you can ONLY eat salads). That way, the stones won't get worse, at least.

Good luck..... and again, be careful of those sites promising a "cleanse". Cleanse my ass! (ha ha, that was pretty funny!)

DX: (1) Major depressive disorder  (2) Anxiety/panic disorder    (3) Substance abuse (opiates) in remission . .  .  six+ years sober

Psych RX:   Lexapro, 20 mg.   

Non-psych RX:  Levothyroxine (for hypothyroidism)  112 mcg daily & Triamterene/Hctz 37.5/25  (diuretic for unexplained swelling in legs) + Potassium supplement 

Prior RX

Klonopin (clonazepam)   (tapered off completely from Feb 2013 - August 2013 after 10 years ... went from 4 mg / day in Jan. 2013 to ZERO by Aug. 2013) 

Suboxone (buprenorphine/naloxone) ended treatment for good January 2013 / ending dose  2mgs/day.

LOTUS

1a094b77-6561-4df2-a113-05fdeddf47f6_zps

#15 DKKKDdrtewe

DKKKDdrtewe

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:31 AM

I think that this information is the best.

#16 MiaB

MiaB

another crazy cat person

• Inmate
  • 3552 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:36 AM

Hello DKKKDdrtewe

I am happy that you are finding the information on our boards useful.  However, you are responding to some very old posts (you can see the date at the top of each), and the members who wrote them may have moved on to other things.  May I suggest that you start off by introducing yourself to us in the Introductions forum (click on the link), and go from there?

Sincerely,

Mia (moderator)

Dx and Rx are on my profile.

I am not a healthcare professional of any kind.  Always consult your care provider.

Paragraph breaks are your friend.  Extra large fonts are not.  And posting in free verse is just annoying.

All you really need to know for the moment is that the universe is a lot more complicated than you might think, even if you start from a position of thinking it’s pretty damn complicated in the first place (Douglas Adams)

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.