Photo
- - - - -

Grapefruit and Medication interactions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 19066 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

Just wanted to make a note letting people that eating grapefruit while on meds isn't a good idea. It builds meds up in the bloodstream, causing side effects. I tried this, ate a grapefruit, and became very groggy ... regretted it.

http://www.health.ha...date0206d.shtml

Here is a more specific one, but IMO would caution against other psych meds as well:

http://www.holistic-...medications.htm

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Propranolol, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#2 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8757 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

I am on several meds that have grapefruit warnings, but my pdoc and neuro both said I could have grapefruit once or twice a month. The only juices I drink are grapefruit and tomato, so now grapefruit juice is a treat every month or two.

As always, ask your pdoc, YMMV, etc.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#3 olga

olga

Life is better when you bring home a furry pal

• Inmate
  • 10508 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

I eat half a grapefruit every morning from November to about May. When I asked my doctor about it, he said that these studies are done with the patients drinking quarts of grapefruit juice in a week. The half I eat every morning has maybe 3 or 4 oz. of juice in it, and he didn't think that was enough to affect anything.

However, as crtclms said, YMMV. All of us react to drugs (and foods) very differently.

olga

I'm bossy, opinionated, and over 60, so be prepared for advice if you post a question. However, I am not a medical professional, so please consult a doctor about your mental health issues and medications.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Do what you want. I don't have time to spend on people who are mentally ill and refuse treatment.

#4 AirMarshall

AirMarshall

Jumping the CB Shark

• Pip
  • 6686 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

It's not a problem with all meds, just some. What happens is that grapefruit blocks a particular enzyme in the liver, preventing the liver from breaking down these meds, and they build up for a while in the blood stream until the liver can clear things out.

Check your med caution stickers, ask your pharmacist for info. You can use a med interaction checker like
http://www.drugs.com/

One of my my meds has a caution, so I normally avoid grapefruit. Once in a while I get a craving and buy a grapefruit or a bottle of juice for breakfast. No problems with occasional pleasures! :)

a.m.

Edited by AirMarshall, 06 May 2012 - 07:59 PM.

**My work is done.  Swimming for the nearest shore.**

#5 december_brigette

december_brigette

• Pip
  • 2626 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:43 AM

I have never liked grapefruit.

Since I started meds I noticed the warning. Now, I have a great excuse for not eating/drinking grapefruit - "it interacts with my meds." I got to tell that to someone once. I like knowing I can use it in the future.

I write this post to inspire others. :)
db

dx: bipolar 1, anxiety, and a little ptsd

current meds:
cymbalta 90mgs
depakote 1500 mg
prazosin 1 mg
seroquel 50 mg

topamax 50mg
xanax 2.50 mg

other meds ive tried: abilify, ambien, effexor xr, lamictal, lexapro, lithium, lunesta, paxil, provigil, tegretol, trazodone, wellbutrin, zoloft.

"I mixed Benadryl and Tegretol one time. Spent three days guessing weight at the Iowa State Fair. Got crabs, and a tattoo, of a crab," Andy on "weeds."

"Psychiatry is just this year's candy pink stove." from the tv show Madmen.

#6 lavender fairy

lavender fairy

• Pip
  • 687 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

I love grapefruit, and I am glad to see that none of my meds are on the lists stating there's an interaction!

DX: C-PTSD, Major Depression, Alcoholism-sober for 10 years, Fibromyalgia, Graves Disease, No Thyroid, Sleep Apnea, Periods from Hell, "wheezy lungs"
TX: Talk Therapy, Abilify 7.5 mg, Effexor 225 mg, Neurontin 1800 mg, Metformin 500 mg, Armour Thyroid 240 mg, CPAP, Lysteda 600 mg 3x/daily during menstrual cycles, Albuterol inhaler

#7 CrankyMe

CrankyMe

Salty

• Pip
  • 975 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

Whenever I read the "Do not take with grapefruit or grapefruit juice" label it immediately makes me crave grapefruit choice.

Also, as an aside: A friend once told me that saying "Grapefruit Juice" when you feel a sneeze coming on will prevent the sneeze. I've tried it once or twice and it seemed to work, but I like sneezing so I haven't really tested it enough to know for sure how reliable it is.

Don't you do that sometimes? Play turtle turtle? With your T-shirt?" - Guinea Pig

#8 2Spirals

2Spirals

Keeping this human mind entertained.

• Pip
  • 738 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:30 PM

wow... drugs.com just scared the crap out of me, with all the 'major' interactions between the meds in my cocktail (see signature). Now I am scared :-/

Diagnosis: Bipolar I, Generalized Anxiety Disorder & Panic Disorder
Medications: Lamictal 200mg, Lorazepam 2mg (PRN), Clonazepam 2mg
Old Medications: Buspar, Paxil, Lexapro, Lamictal, Topamax, Geodon, Clonazepam, Abilify, Seroquel XR, Citalopram, Risperidone, Seroquel IR, Viibryd, wellbutrin

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.