Gabapentin

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 xtryptaminex

xtryptaminex

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:00 PM

Sorry if this has been asked already, I'm too drugged at the moment to look. So gabapentin, I'm taking it for fibromyalgia. I take 200mg 3 times a day and then 300mg at bedtime. But I still hurt so that might increase. Will the side effects wear off? The sedation sucks. And being smart is not working out so well. Did anyone else get depressed? Did it go away? Blah.

Am I possibly taking it too often? The doctor didn't give much insruction aside from, see what works, you can take up to 600mg 4 times a day.
DX: Schizoaffective, OCD, Anxiety something-or-other with panic attacks, Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome, Fibromyalgia
RX: Effexor XR 150 mg, Inderal 30 mg prn, Valium 10 mg prn, Seroquel 6.25 - 25 mg rarely

#2 Indigo 'n dye

Indigo 'n dye

• Pip
  • 3667 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

I advise you to speak with the physician that ordered it telling them your side effects and seeking clarification regarding dosages.

I took Gabapentin for several years at 1800 mg, in a single dose in the evening. The side effects lasted through each dose increase up to 1800 mg, but then generally retreated.

Are you taking anything specifically for pain? Often rheumatologists prescribe an NSAID in addition to the Gabapentin.Many also prescribe physical therapy and water aerobics to maintain range of motion and increase flexibility.

Exercise is the last thing any of us want to do when we are experience physical pain, but it is one of the best counter-measures for pain.

Good luck.

#3 shimmeree

shimmeree

• Pip
  • 743 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:33 PM

i take 900 mgs morning and night.
the sedation does wear off after a week or so.
i felt really dumbed down at first, but that goes away.

h

Dx: major depression, C-PTSD. (309.81, 296.3X), self- harm, alcohol abuse
Rx: 225 mg venlafaxine HCL (currently titrating up to 300 mg), 900 mg gabapentin AM, 900 mg gabapentin PM, 50 mg trazodone
past Rx: Paxil, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, clonazepam, lorazepam

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being. ~ Carl Jung
We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses. ~ Carl Jung

#4 melissaw72

melissaw72

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

• Pip
  • 17960 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

A former pdoc prescribed 4000 mg as a one time dose at night (I don't have this pdoc any more!), didn't make me sleepy though. Could have been because it was increased from a low amount, and the side effects wore off as it was increased. I felt out-of-it on 4000 during the day. A former neurologist basically made me go off it/wean down though because of the high dose. During the weaning down period, the med must not have been working because I had no side effects. I eventually came off it, but do remember that it was a bitch on the lower doses weaning off. In retrospect I think I came down off it too fast, maybe, and that was why it messed me up.

I would definitely ask your DR about how you are feeling on it.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Also recovered Anorexic/Bulimic finally after 20 years.

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin SR, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Propranolol, Flexeril, Zofran.

Any questions just ask :)

"I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make a few more."

#5 lavender fairy

lavender fairy

• Pip
  • 640 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

I take 1200 mg all at night for fibromyalgia pain, and it seems to help tremendously. I tried taking a 300 mg dose during the day, but found that I could not function on it at all. I can't remember how long I stayed on the daytime dose, but it did not get better.

Without Gabapentin, I was not able to do any exercise because I was in too much pain. I tried the water exercise classes and they just made things worse. Now I am able to walk great distances.

DX: C-PTSD, Major Depression, Alcoholism-sober for 10 years, Fibromyalgia, Graves Disease, No Thyroid, Periods from Hell, "wheezy lungs"
Meds: Abilify 7.5 mg, Effexor 225 mg, Neurontin 1800 mg, Metformin 500 mg, Armour Thyroid 240 mg, Lysteda 600 mg 3x/daily during menstrual cycles, Albuterol inhaler, talk therapy

#6 dedoubt

dedoubt

• Pip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:29 PM

I've been taking between 900-1200 mg of gabapentin a day for four years. The sedation and dumbness generally wore off after about a week, as noted above. I did notice that the dumbness kind of lingered longer at 1200, which is partly why I am down to 900.

But yah, the first week at a new dose felt like being really stoned.

The crazy: Bipolar disorder 1 (rapid cycling, with psychosis), personality disorder (NOS), PTSD, ADD, uppity

The pills: None. Mutually agreed upon with my pdoc as the best choice for now.

"All at once is what eternity is." Kenneth Patchen

#7 someday...

someday...

someday....

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:59 AM

Gabapentin for me is NIGHTMARE to withdraw from, as it is for some people. Some people are fine getting off of it.

It changed my 'gait'. I lowered it it by 100 mg, I began to lose words, and after 3 days I lost total word recall. Seriously. Scary stuff. THEN some very very scary stuff was happening, things I have never experienced before in my life...

I raised it the next day- and all of those withdrawal symptoms were gone.

I now lower it by .25 mg. whenever I am brave enough. At .25 - confusion, worse insomnia, cry, frustration, lower functioning for sure, too confused to pay for groceries or drive. This starts to pan out in about 5 days. At .25 mg. it's going to take a while. Not fun. Haven't lowered it for a while now, and am dropping it tomorrow. (Yay- let the fun begin.)

As far as those taking it for pain- I hope it works for some, and those who don't - I hope you can find what helps. I know it is prescribed a lot for pain. I have great empathy for you.

It's so wierd how different drugs and dosages can affect a lot of us so differenty.. and experience going on it and withdrawing from it... not an exact science unfortunately. (Makes me tired too.)

I wonder if it affects memory....

#8 Catnapper

Catnapper

Living in the South under Baptist Sharia law.

• Pip
  • 1737 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

I take 900 mgs a night for menopausal hot flashes / night sweats. It works great. I started trying to take a split am/pm dose, but it made me too sleepy. The only side effect I had was the first night I took it early before bed, and was nauseous. I haven't had any dumbing effects, although maybe the occasional word-finding trouble I have is partly from the gabapentin. I've been blaming it all on the Lamictal, but maybe they both contribute.
New Improved Diagnosis: Probably BP II (instead of MDD recurrent), or as the pdoc said, "There's clearly some sort of cycle going on." The more I think about it, the more I think he's right. I've started a mood stabilizer and feel better, so I have my fingers crossed I'll stay far away from the abyss.

RX: Generic versions of Lamictal 200 mg, Wellbutrin SR 300 mg, Ambien 10 mg, Gabapentin 900 mg (for hot flashes), lots of vitamins and fish oil tablets.
RX Graveyard: Prozac, Topomax, Zoloft, Vivactil, Adderall, Provigil
DX: Previously DXed with Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, Without Psychotic Symptoms; still enjoying Dysthymia and Binge Eating Disorder

"All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental." Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake

#9 melissaw72

melissaw72

• Pip
  • 17960 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:55 PM

Gabapentin for me is NIGHTMARE to withdraw from, as it is for some people. Some people are fine getting off of it.

It changed my 'gait'. I lowered it it by 100 mg, I began to lose words, and after 3 days I lost total word recall. Seriously. Scary stuff. THEN some very very scary stuff was happening, things I have never experienced before in my life...

I raised it the next day- and all of those withdrawal symptoms were gone.

I now lower it by .25 mg. whenever I am brave enough. At .25 - confusion, worse insomnia, cry, frustration, lower functioning for sure, too confused to pay for groceries or drive. This starts to pan out in about 5 days. At .25 mg. it's going to take a while. Not fun. Haven't lowered it for a while now, and am dropping it tomorrow. (Yay- let the fun begin.)

As far as those taking it for pain- I hope it works for some, and those who don't - I hope you can find what helps. I know it is prescribed a lot for pain. I have great empathy for you.

It's so wierd how different drugs and dosages can affect a lot of us so differenty.. and experience going on it and withdrawing from it... not an exact science unfortunately. (Makes me tired too.)

I wonder if it affects memory....

I second the withdrawal effects of gabapentin ... it was extremely difficult to get off of.

Current Psychiatric Dxs ... Schizoaffective, bipolar type; Anxiety disorder, PTSD, agoraphobia

Current meds: Provigil, Klonopin, Xanax, Naltrexone, Wellbutrin SR, Abilify, Lamictal, Prozac, Lansoprazole, Linzess, QVAR inhaler, Xopenex inhaler, Methimazole, Flonase, Propranolol, Flexeril, Zofran.

#10 basuraeuropea

basuraeuropea

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

both neurontin and its more potent relative lyrica were superrrrrrrrrr difficult to get off of - read: hellish withdrawals. they also made me super depressed and super stupid. like, i had the memory of a goldfish.

those side effects along with a whole host of others made for those meds some of the worst i've ever taken.

Edited by basuraeuropea, 20 July 2012 - 10:04 PM.

#11 shameshame

shameshame

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

Currently, I take 600mg in the am and pm for neuropathic pain and other nerve pain. At first it made me really drowsy, and I still have some (possibly) related memory problems.

Although now, after about six months, it isn't giving me the same pain relief as when I started. Apparently bioavailabilty goes down as the dose increases.

You never said how long you've been on the drug?

#12 melissaw72

melissaw72

• Pip
  • 17960 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:45 PM

Very true. Sooo true.

#13 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 8619 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

I had no difficulty titrating off of it either time I took it. So withdrawal symptoms are by no means a given.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Renal Tubular Acidosis (caused by Zonegran); Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Lamotrigine; Latuda; Lithium; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Potassium Citrate; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Tizanidine; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. Remember, I am not a medical professional. PM me if you have any questions

#14 StlRed79

StlRed79

Here I am...and yes it still hurts!!

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

I just started the 1800mgday regiment so after reading all this, it looks like I am in for a dumb, stoned, memeory loss, stupor.....sweet!! I can't wait!! I have been struggling so hard with my chronic pain for so long now and I am hoping this works!! I am a Veteran that is still fighting with the VA for treatment and it is exhausting. I am too young for this...

I am glad I found this forum today so I can see I am not the only one and what I can look forward to. I have had a fusion in my neck, synthetic disc in my low back, a Neurostim in my upper back, and every pain management injection and physical therapy program out there that I know of. From '07 to now, I have been fighting my own battle to stay upright and functional.

#15 Indigo 'n dye

Indigo 'n dye

• Pip
  • 3667 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:17 PM

I just started the 1800mgday regiment so after reading all this, it looks like I am in for a dumb, stoned, memeory loss, stupor.....sweet!! I can't wait!!

Like crtclms, I had no problem titrating off gabepentin and as Catnapper stated, "I haven't had any dumbing effects..."

Recently I had to stop the drug and went off 1800mg without much more than a headache and some insomnia.

However, it has been my experience that we I anticipate side effects, I get them.

#16 StlRed79

StlRed79

Here I am...and yes it still hurts!!

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:39 AM

I hate the mornings!! My nerves are firing off and my spine feels like bricks but I still have to get moving and get to work!! Blaa!

#17 melissaw72

melissaw72

• Pip
  • 17960 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

I hate the mornings!! My nerves are firing off and my spine feels like bricks but I still have to get moving and get to work!! Blaa!

Is it something that you could stand under a hot shower, just not full force so it doesn't hurt when it touches your skin? There has been one time my spine felt "locked", and I stood under a hot shower for 25 minutes before it starting helping; but it did relieve the pain.

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.