• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 CrankyMe

CrankyMe

Salty

• Pip
  • 974 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:32 AM

I've never talked to my therapist about this. I've never talked to anyone about this.

But I have a strong aversion to showering/bathing. It started probably 5 years ago. At times I've gone almost 3 months without bathing. I will wear the same clothes (including undergarments) for weeks at a time. I have and use a bidet, so personal odor "down there" isn't an issue. My body odor isn't very strong. I spend most of my time alone anyway, so it isn't really an issue.

I don't know why I have this aversion.

Don't you do that sometimes? Play turtle turtle? With your T-shirt?" - Guinea Pig

#2 gizmo

gizmo

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

• Pip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:28 AM

I have an aversion to showering as well. I didn't used to feel like this - my favorite thing to do ten years ago to relax was to sit in a hot bath reading a good book. Now I shower once a week, twice of I really make myself.

I really hate the sensations of bathing - the water temperature when I get in, the coldness of the room when I get out, getting water in my face. But most of all I hate getting out of the shower all wet and drying myself off. That sensation is really what keeps me from showering.

I'm trying to overcome it, but it's so very difficult. Like you, I hardly ever leave to house or get dirty, so when I try to get myself to shower, my brain just tells me I don't need to.
Diagnosis: BP I with Psychotic Features, GAD, ADHD, Chronic Migraines, various physical stuff.
Meds Currently On: Depakote 2000 mg, Risperdal 8 mg, Latuda 80 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Vyvanse 70 mg, Propranolol 40 mg BID, Klonopin 2 mg BID PRN
Meds Sort-Of Mental Related: Lipitor 40 mg, Zofran 4 mg PRN, Fioricet PRN, Stadol PRN, Botox received on 8/16/13

I post on an iPhone, so please forgive grammatical errors or strange word inclusions. It's the auto correct!

#3 cfranco92

cfranco92

• Pip
  • 527 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

I also have an aversion to showering, but my pdoc described to me a reward system for when I do things that are normally very hard to do. For instance I would write in a planner what parts of hygeine I want to tackle for the week (wash my face every day, brush my teeth, take a shower) and if I complete my goals for the day, i can do something i want: eat a treat, watch a movie, go out with friends, call SO, etc.

I've started with a shower every saturday at 2pm.

Edited by cfranco92, 10 June 2012 - 01:01 PM.

Dx: Schizoaffective disorder (bipolar type), PTSD, anxiety, hemiplegic migraines, asthma, hypothyroidism, tardive dyskinesia
Rx: Ativan 2mg PRN, Hydroxyzine 25mg PRN, Albuterol Inhalor
Past Rxs: Abilify, Saphris, Risperdal, Geodon, Lamictal, Prozac, Nortriptyline, Paxil, Pamelor, Celexa, Klonopin, Hydroxyzine, Propranolol, Bromocriptine, Zyprexa, Haldol, Invega, Clozaril, Lunesta, Ambien, Navane, Wellbutrin, Lithium, Seroquel, Cogentin, Verapamil, Trazadone, Latuda, Topamax, Synthyroid, Depakote, Zofran

I have been psych med free since 8/17/2013 as directed by my pdoc. 

A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us. - John Steinbeck.

#4 Screamingbutterfly

Screamingbutterfly

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

I shower as much as a possibly can, I admit it's not every day but it's a couple of times a week. I don't go outside much or get really sweaty since I don't work. So luckily I never have an odor problem. Since I have fibromyalgia I'm very sensitive to things. Sometimes the water from the shower hurts my skin ( i know that sounds weird to people who don't have Fibromyalgia). I tend to take long showers so it hurts when I stand in there to long. Sometimes when I'm depressed I just don't feel like it. I'm trying to work on this though, if I definitely had a job I would do it daily.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Diagnosis- Mood disorder NOS, Opioid dependency ( in remission since 2010), Fibromyalgia, Endometriosis
Daily Medication- Adderall 30 mgs twice daily,Tegretol 600 mg, Geodon 40 mg, Aygestin 15mg, Remeron 15mg, Amitriptyline 10 mg.
Past medicine- So many that I think I own a portion of the pharmacy by now!

#5 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 7841 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:38 PM

I hate showering. Gizmo described exactly why, too, I've never seen anyone else explain it that way, but those are my reasons.

I used to shower constantly when I was younger. In some ways, I think the fact that my husband doesn't really mind makes it harder for me to give a shit.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; CoQ10; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Green Coffee Bean Extract; Lamotrigine; Lithium; Magnesium Chloride; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. PM me if you have any questions

#6 Antigone

Antigone

Queen of the Neverlands

• Pip
  • 613 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

What Gizmo said. I go a week to ten days. I hardly ever leave the house, my husband works nights, and he can't smell, so it makes it easier to get away with.

Just don't have the energy, can't tolerate the feeling of the water on my skin, or the task of drying off and combing my hair. I use baby wipes for toilet paper to keep things hygienic in the southern region.

I am not one and simple, but complex and many. . . .
~ Virginia Woolf

Dx: c-PTSD, Bipolar I with Psychosis, DDNOS, Migraines
Rxs: Saphris 20mg, Wellbutrin 450mg, Zoloft 25mg, Klonopin 0.5 - 1 mg prn, Imitrex 100mg prn

#7 Mrs. Brady

Mrs. Brady

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:26 PM

Funny that Im totally opposite. In depression mode I will sit on the floor of the shower for as long as I can get away with... I have never ending hot water so can easy sit there for an hour before hubby kicks me out. I HATE the getting out bit though.
Oh hello couch...I missed you

#8 CrankyMe

CrankyMe

Salty

• Pip
  • 974 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

I never really thought about why I starting disliking it, but I agree that it's the post-shower routine that gets to me the most. Particularly because (and I think this is really really weird) showering makes me sweaty. I'll literally be wiping sweat off my brow, back and from under my breasts for at least 10 minutes after getting out of the shower. So it seems like it takes forever to actually get dry. Plus it seems self defeating -- why in the world am I washing the sweat off my body only to start sweating the moment I'm done washing?

Not leaving the house and not having a spouse definitely makes it easier for me to just skip it. again and again and again. I'll tell myself I'm going to do it, will even lay out fresh clothes and towels etc and then....nada. Or I'll "cheat" and do a quickie sponge bath in the sink.

Antigone, I think the absolute worst part for me was the hair. I had hair nearly to my waist, and all the brushing beforehand and combing afterward....it sounds silly, but it got exhausting. I got a pixie cut about 2 weeks ago because I was so sick of brushing my hair. I hope it helps with the showering. I showered the day I got it cut before my appointment. But then I didn't shower again until today. At least I don't get the rat's nests in the morning any more.

Don't you do that sometimes? Play turtle turtle? With your T-shirt?" - Guinea Pig

#9 Antigone

Antigone

Queen of the Neverlands

• Pip
  • 613 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

My hair is really long and ringlet curly. It is a huge pain in the ass and either has to be put up in a bun, which breaks it, or flat ironed, which allows me to go a week without washing it. Fortunately, my hairdresser is living with us during her divorce and now does my hair when I shower to help encourage me to get clean. I'm convinced God has a sense of humor in that blessing!

I am not one and simple, but complex and many. . . .
~ Virginia Woolf

Dx: c-PTSD, Bipolar I with Psychosis, DDNOS, Migraines
Rxs: Saphris 20mg, Wellbutrin 450mg, Zoloft 25mg, Klonopin 0.5 - 1 mg prn, Imitrex 100mg prn

#10 HAL9000

HAL9000

My mind is going. I can feel it....

• Pip
  • 483 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

I need to shower every other day (at most) I guess I rewear pants and maybe a shirt once in a blue moon when I can't find a clean one and I have to rush off to work. Underwear? That has to be fresh everyday. I have a bidet also (I had rectal surgery many years ago and it was a must) Now, I just like not smearing "poop" around with toilet paper. That might be a bit on the odd side here in the USA but most people in western europe have bidets. *And I think its an idea that is long overdue here!

I used to love sitting in a bath for hours but the meds or heart issues make me feel like I'm going to pass out in a hot bath.

"I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill and think things over.  Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a...fraid. "

About Me
Current Diagnosis / DX: Major depressive disorder, Anxiety -> PTSD, Insomnia
Meds: Bupropion SR(Wellbutrin SR®), Buspirone(BuSpar®), Zolpidem ER(Ambien CR®) and Diazepam(Valium®) as needed / PRN
ExMeds:Vistaril(Atarax), Citalopram (Celexa®), Trazadon

#11 scatty

scatty

The only way out is through.

• Pip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

I used to love relaxing in the bathtub, but for the past few (10) years it's felt like torture. I just hate it. I hate showering too.

Dx:
Bipolar I & Anxiety.  Self diagnosed cunt.

My New (old) Meds: (previously these kept me the most stable)
Lithium ER 1350 mgs.
Lamictal 200 mgs.

Klonopin 2 mgs.

Practicing CBT, DBT, and ACT self-help therapy.

Crazy since the 80's!

#12 Gearhead

Gearhead

The Iguana In a Room Full of Rabbits

• Pip
  • 1544 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

I really hate the sensations of bathing - the water temperature when I get in, the coldness of the room when I get out, getting water in my face. But most of all I hate getting out of the shower all wet and drying myself off. That sensation is really what keeps me from showering.

I actually feel something similar about getting out of bed in the morning. But I'm very skin-obsessive, so no matter how cold I get when I get out of the shower, I have to bathe at least every other day.

Bipolar I, sports fans. Autism spectrum. With just un soupçon of migraine...

Give us this day our daily meds: 150 lamotrigine, 75 topiramate, 150 Seroquel XR, 100 Seroquel IR, 12.5 Ambien CR,
15 mgs escitalopram, 4000 i.u. Vit. D3

Cyclobenzaprine and Midrin PRN

Past, failed attempts: Effexor XR, Celexa, amitriptyline, Depakote, Geodon, klonopin, ativan, bupropion, busipirone, lithium, trazodone, Lunesta, Rozerem, gabapentine, mirtazapine, Wellbutrin, Temazepam, Sonata

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

#13 ldub22

ldub22

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

I also have an issue with showering/bathing I think only my parents know and my grandma possibly my sister (due to mom telling her) I will go as long as I can get away with it. I also wear same clothes over and over and do leave undergarmets on longer than I should. I dont feel I have an odor. I do have a full time job it has been like this for many many years. I also dont brush my teeth. I will bathe if I know I am going to have an sexual encounter at that time it is a long bath sometimes hours just soaking and shaving (blahhh annoying) anyhow I am not sure what triggered this to happen my parents shower/bath/clean themselves regularly. I am just considered weird to them. Every couple days I will kneel by the bath and I wash my hair with the shower wand it is curly so I can go days between washing. I even hate doing that sometimes just lazy or depressed just such a task and chore for nothing I feel. I have noticed when I lived with a guy for a short period of time in my life I will shower/brush teeth like a normal person does but when I got back to living with my parents it went back to old ways and now I live alone and it is worse.

#14 koakua

koakua

Live every week like it's shark week

• Pip
  • 1202 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:31 PM

I too dislike showering. I used to really enjoy it but in the past few years it has started to seem like a huge undertaking. I really enjoy baths, but I don't really wash myself when I bathe and instead just lay there and read a book. For a while I was showering once a week, maybe a little more, but now I'm up to doing it every other day.

Diagnosis: Schizoaffective Disorder, Depressive Type (or possibly depression with psychotic features)
RX:, Latuda 40mg, Lexapro 10 mg, Wellbutrin 300 mg,
Previous RX: Zyprexa, Abilify, Prozac, Ativan, Risperdal

#15 wj74

wj74

complicated

• Pip
  • 2180 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

I'm with CrankyMe on the sweating after showering, what the hell. I am drying off every 20 seconds until I get dressed and then I guess it stops or my shirt soaks it up. Eww. I also hate how the water feels if it's too cold, then I hate getting out because it's too cold. And then I sweat? Yeaaah

SZA, bipolar type.

#16 CrankyMe

CrankyMe

Salty

• Pip
  • 974 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:43 PM

I'm glad you chimed in, wj, I wondered if I was the only person who experienced the post-shower sweats.

I'm finding the shorter hair does make it easier for me to shower. Now I can be in and out of there in less than 5 minutes with everything soaped up and rinsed off. So I tell myself "It's only 5 minutes, you can do this." and that does seem to help.

I still prefer sponge baths, though. I think because I still get clean but without the sweaty mess afterwards.

#17 enlightened_plutonian

enlightened_plutonian

The boundary between reality and delusion is currently out of the office

• Pip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

I also hate the sweating after a shower. It is just the last thing I want when I have just gotten myself clean. Yuk!
Current diagnosis = psychosis NOS
History = depression (remission since April 2009), SI (remission since April 2009), alcohol abuse (remission since March 2007)
Past false dx = BPD (only symptom I had was SI), schizophrenia (I was very sleep deprived at the time)
Also have diabetes and pain issues (undiagnosed) and hayfever (April - June)

Current meds = Seroquel 800mg XR (as 400 in the morning and 400 in the night)
Also on insulin and Microgynon

I am not deluded, I just don't agree with your reality!

#18 crtclms

crtclms

Queen of Ergots

• Inmate
  • 7841 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:50 PM

My pdoc gave me "homework" for this month: If I shower every other day for a month, then I can reward myself in some way. Which will be interesting, since it is not like I don't reward myself pretty much constantly. But last night, I got into the shower at 11:50PM, squeaking one in under the wire.

Dx: Bipolar 1; GAD; Migraine w/ Aura; Migraine w/o Aura; Status Migrainosus
Rx: Alprazolam; Botox; Buproprion; CoQ10; Dihydroergotomine via IV Infusion; Flexeril; Green Coffee Bean Extract; Lamotrigine; Lithium; Magnesium Chloride; Metoclopramide; Midrin; Migranal; Prilosec; Promethazine; Riboflavin; Verapamil; Vitamin D3
Currently Shelved: Abilify; Amerge; Anaprox; Atenolol; Buspar; Cafergot; Cymbalta; Depakote; Di-Hydro-ergotamine, injected; Gabapentin; Geodon; Imitrex Tablets; Klonopin; Maxalt; Namenda; Nortriptyline; Norvasc; Propranolol; Prozac; Risperidone; Relpax; Sansert; Sumatriptan injectables; Tegretol; Trazadone; Zoloft; Zolpidem; Zomig; Zonegran

Affectations can be dangerous. -Gertrude Stein

I moderate Bipolar, Panic/Anxiety, Dissociative Disorders, Migraine, Seizures, Not Otherwise Specified, Anticonvulsants, Side Effects, Family Feud, and I Still Have Issues. PM me if you have any questions

#19 wj74

wj74

complicated

• Pip
  • 2180 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

That's what I thought about the reward thing, I reward myself all day haha.

SZA, bipolar type.

#20 exl2398

exl2398

• Pip
  • 1314 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

I don't really like showering, but I will say it is pretty much the ONLY time I can tolerate having my skin - especially my hands - wet. and I am fanatical about how I wash and dry (I have ocd, and it is a half hour ordeal). and I dispise touching wet towels. I didn't take a shower today. I used to be really bad (for me), where I would shower once a week, but I am doing just a little better now, and that is basically out of necessity, because I am always leaving the house these days and I REFUSE to go out in public for an extended period of time without a shower.

I have always worn not-so-fresh clothes. I can wear the same unwashed bra for weeks, which I realize is disgusting. and the same jean shorts for weeks. same underwear for days (usually when I am NOT showering), etc. got into trouble about it in 4th grade, because I wore dirty clothes.
Diagnosis: Bipolar type I rapid cycling, PTSD, OCD, intermittant psychosis, general insanity
Past diagnosis: MDD, bipolar type II, schizoaffective disorder (this might have been a more accurate description of what I have, but who knows), depression
Rx: Lamictal 300mg, topomax 100mg, clomipramine (spelling?) 225mg, lithium carbonate, idk the dose.
Past Rx: Symbyax (made me paranoid), Celexa (worthless), Abilify (blurry vision), Geodon (made me paranoid), Wellbutrin (made me rage), Pristiq (worthless), topomax (worthless), emsam (worthless), risperdal (worsened diabetes and made me gain 82lbs, discontinued 10/2011), remeron (worthless POS that made me binge eat at night, discontinued 6/2012)

...In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid...

The content of individual posts on this site are the sole work of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and/or policies of the Administrators, Moderators, or other Members of the Crazyboards community. Health related topics should not be used for the purpose of diagnosis or substituted for medical advice. It is your responsibility to research the accuracy, completeness, and usefulness of all opinions, services, and other information found on the site, and to consult with your professional health care provider as to whether the information can benefit you.